Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dre offers to restructure... again

With the escalator (which is the incentive bonus for performance), AJ is earning less than $10M per year for the duration of his contract.

Considering he still has 4 years left on a deal with massive incentives, I am wondering what performance expectations they are basing it on? Top-10 tier looks close to their figures, but he went Top 5 last season.
If Johnson hits none of the new thresholds, he would earn $62.7 million over seven years ($8.9 million per year). If he hits the top-10 tier he would earn $68.5 million over seven years ($9.7 million average), and if he hits the top-5 tier the then the max is $73.5 million ($10.5 million per year).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ons-extension-includes-protections-for-texans

Anyways, I agree it isn't a bad contract. My original point was they had him locked up for 5 years. He signed early with two years left in his rookie contract for financial security of $15 million in guarantees. But then when he saw what he could have had if he would have waited until 2009 when he would have been a free agent to sign, the Texans capitulated. So he got the best of both worlds, early signing security and late signing pay raise.

Considering he still has 4 years left on a deal with massive incentives, I am wondering what performance expectations they are basing it on? Top-10 tier looks close to their figures, but he went Top 5 last season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ons-extension-includes-protections-for-texans

Anyways, I agree it isn't a bad contract. My original point was they had him locked up for 5 years. He signed early with two years left in his rookie contract for financial security of $15 million in guarantees. But then when he saw what he could have had if he would have waited until 2009 when he would have been a free agent to sign, the Texans capitulated. So he got the best of both worlds, early signing security and late signing pay raise.

It's not a big deal either way.
Especially if you look at getting AJ to finish his career in Houston.
Overall, I think it's a win-win situation.

It sure seems like they could be doing some creative things to free up cap space with overpriced contracts like Antonio Smith, Owen Daniels and Joseph. Instead it just seems like they're content with being slightly above mediocre as long as the seats are sold. There are now tons of holes and little proven depth on this roster with no indication that anything is being done to fix it.

You know I hate to second guess management. You have to believe there are good reasons for why they do what they do.

However, I think we've got a real window of opportunity to do something special right now. That's two years in a row that I thought we had the best team in football for a good part of the year.

Why aren't we trying to get Dumerville? Instant pass rush right there. Why wasn't Laron Landry at the top of our list if we knew there was a chance Quin wasn't going to stay (we didn't even make a formal offer)? Why hasn't Bob's jet gone to pick up Kerry Rhodes yet?

Right now, we should have the feeling that our F.O. is doing everything they can to make this the best team they can put together for 2013.

& I'm not seeing it. In the past.... yeah. We were too young, we had too much going on, but like I said; We've got a real opportunity here.

You know I hate to second guess management. You have to believe there are good reasons for why they do what they do.

However, I think we've got a real window of opportunity to do something special right now. That's two years in a row that I thought we had the best team in football for a good part of the year.

Why aren't we trying to get Dumerville? Instant pass rush right there. Why wasn't Laron Landry at the top of our list if we knew there was a chance Quin wasn't going to stay (we didn't even make a formal offer)? Why hasn't Bob's jet gone to pick up Kerry Rhodes yet?

Right now, we should have the feeling that our F.O. is doing everything they can to make this the best team they can put together for 2013.

& I'm not seeing it. In the past.... yeah. We were too young, we had too much going on, but like I said; We've got a real opportunity here.

I think its because they see the window as potentially bigger than next year. Adding a Dumervill or Landry may mean you can't resign Cush or Watt the year after. Or, it may mean gutting the team in order to afford Watt. Pehaps they are thinking its better to have a solid to good team around Watt and Cush in their prime years(when they are paying big $) than a gutted team due to overspending.

In the NFL its all about getting to the playoffs. Once you get in, anything can happen. Nobody expected the Giants to win the superbowls when they did. Its all about being hot at the right time. Its not the team with the most talent its the team that plays the best together.

this is utter BS. in fact this whole taking pay cuts is freaking unconstitutional and its a travesty that the nfl players union is getting screwed over because demaurice smith is a sheep in wolves clothing.

nfl players are getting screwed over and they need to redo their deal. the nfl is the #1 sport in america yet nfl players dont have guaranteed contracts and they are always taking pay cuts.

If anybody needs to restructure their contract its matt schaub.

"Restructuring contracts is unconstitutional"

"Matt Schaub should restructure"

Back