Dre offers to restructure... again

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Mar 15, 2013.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

2. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

AJ wants to win SB now! I feel same as you AJ!

3. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

You would think the FO would've already initiated this conversation w/ some players such as AJ as opposed to the player having to offer it & lead the way. Let's hope they can figure something out & get some players signed to assist in getting AJ a championship.

4. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

You would have thought.

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans hadn't thrown out the "hint" to restructure to several players by now.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, it's probably never crossed their minds. I mean, the front office really doesn't think about stuff like that.

Meanwhile back on planet earth, the Texans have a history of re-working deals with many of its players, for the purpose of creating more cap space.

If AJ says he wants to do it, it means he might have been unwilling before now. It's their finances, and a player and his agent are going to look out for number 1 first. The front office of any team will be more team-focused than any other department in the franchise.

THINK.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

I guess AJ is being told that the only way Ed has a shot, here, is to create more cap space to close the gap for it.

Ed Reed might still be our guy yet.

8. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be surprised if the FO doesn't want to restructure in order to avoid cap problems in the next couple of years when we have to re-sign some of our core pieces.

9. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

AJ's vote of confidence in Keo has been declared.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

But restructures just "kick the can down the road" (you know, like with our country's debt problems re the budget), and eventually the Texans will be faced with the big cap hit. So the organization may have considerations over the longer term for not wanting to restructure deals now with key players like JJ Watt and perhaps Cushing coming up for new deals in a year or 2 ?
    But I'd think Andre would be more interested in restructuring for the addition of a veteran NFL WR on the roster than a safety, even an old pal from college ?

Perki-Perk likes this.
  11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Andre's been kicking the can down the road for years. This would be (I think) his fourth restructure . He has ALWAYS had a "team, what can I do to help us win now" attitude. Yes, I know he's getting his money but damn... he is definitely losing a lot by letting us "borrow it". Ever think about the interest ramifications of the millions that Andre keeps pushing back to use an example? Even after restructuring, he still has enough fiscal responsibility left over to do his annual Christmas shopping spree.

I guess I'm just saying that I heart Andre Johnson and let's get this man a championship ring.

12. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

No more hanky panky...
    [IMGwidthsize=400]http://www.daveandthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sixteen-candles-donger.jpg[/IMG]

13. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I'm sure he's offering to restructure to free money to bring anyone in, not just a safety. If that were all we were looking at I would hope he wouldn't need to restructure. If Reed wants more than what we have available we would have to move on.

14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Dang ... You haven't been around since mittens was QB .

Vinny likes this.
  15. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Meh. Andre has been ridiculously selfless throughout his career including a previous restructure. It's hard to ask again and again from a player that has literally been the best example of a football player and good person. Once again dre shows why he is the best when he does stuff like this. I have no issue with FO not asking dre for this.

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

2nd

17. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

While I do think Andre is an unselfish person, restructures aren't an act of generosity when it pays the player more money up front. This is why I'm hoping we don't spend too much money in free agency. It'd be nice to get some guaranteed money off the books to pursue Cushing and Watt.

paycheck71 likes this.
  18. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

3rd.

But also what others have said. Restructuring would just free up space this next season, but pushes the burden in future years.

19. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

C'mon...a history of restructuring deals? I guess technically you are correct since they have restructured a deal or 2 in the past, but Smith & the FO are far from being known to work all angles & create space were space didn't seem to exist like many other FO's whom somehow continue to add pieces as opposed to losing more & more yr in & yr out. These types of moves should've been made early on if feasible & yet they haven't & we have a player saying he is willing....yet hasn't happened as players keep leaving town. Maybe you ought to send the "THINK" memo to Smith quickly because there isn't much getting done & in its current state this team isn't getting better. Thats something to "THINK" about.

20. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

It does push some of the burden down the road, but that will effect years in which many expect the salary cap to increase. In other words, the burden in those larger salary cap years might not be that bad compared to relief that it would provide now to help add a piece or 2 to remain competitive.

We don't know the future salary cap numbers, but many expect it to increase as opposed to it remaining the same, it surely won't decrease, so making a move now doesn't necessarily mean complete doom imo.