Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dennison Accepts

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4306018

Somewhat interesting interview with Kyle.

He talks about play calling and how the "gameday playcalling" is somewhat over blown. He says the game plan is much more critical and that he and Gary worked on it together.

He also goes on to say that basically he was given complete play calling control from the Cincy game on.

He mentions as well that he expects Kubiak to hire a QB coach in his absence should Dennison get the job. Note: Dennison doesn't have any experience as a QB coach.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4306018

Somewhat interesting interview with Kyle.

He talks about play calling and how the "gameday playcalling" is somewhat over blown. He says the game plan is much more critical and that he and Gary worked on it together.

He also goes on to say that basically he was given complete play calling control from the Cincy game on.

He mentions as well that he expects Kubiak to hire a QB coach in his absence should Dennison get the job. Note: Dennison doesn't have any experience as a QB coach.

I can't stand listening to Barry Warner. :strangle: He's one of those people who think the louder you are, the more correct you are.

Other than that though.....good interview.

I can't stand listening to Barry Warner. :strangle: He's one of those people who think the louder you are, the more correct you are.

Other than that though.....good interview.

If the Texans can't find QB coach candidate which we shouldn't have hard time finding one, Kubiak could give QB a few pointers as a former QB himself.

Go Texans!!!

If the Texans can't find QB coach candidate which we shouldn't have hard time finding one, Kubiak could give QB a few pointers as a former QB himself.

Go Texans!!!

That never saw much of any action.. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, I was hoping that we would hire not an exact clone of Kubiak, and that is what I feel is about to happen.

I would hope that we would get someone along the same lines, but different backgrounds to help bring some new things to the table to help improve our running game and play calling in the red zone.

I for the life of me do not now why we don't go to our best play more in the red zone, it's like andre and the back corner of the end zone doesn't exist in our playbook.

That never saw much of any action.. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, I was hoping that we would hire not an exact clone of Kubiak, and that is what I feel is about to happen.

I would hope that we would get someone along the same lines, but different backgrounds to help bring some new things to the table to help improve our running game and play calling in the red zone.

I for the life of me do not now why we don't go to our best play more in the red zone, it's like andre and the back corner of the end zone doesn't exist in our playbook.

Denny had the Denver running game in the top 10 for almost a decade, and in the top 5 for much of it.

He knows the system, but is definitely not a Kubiak clone. He's an O-Line coach and running attack coordinator, while Kubes is a QB coach and passing attack coordinator.

If you are hoping for a guy to improve the running game Denny should be near the top of your list.

Now if Denny brings Kuper with him in FA and they draft Iupati in the 1st or Asamoah in the 2nd rd. This would give Denny the talent he needs to improve the running game.

This offense would be awsome with a good running game and playing JJ at the no.2 WR full time. IMO

Denny had the Denver running game in the top 10 for almost a decade, and in the top 5 for much of it.

He knows the system, but is definitely not a Kubiak clone. He's an O-Line coach and running attack coordinator, while Kubes is a QB coach and passing attack coordinator.

If you are hoping for a guy to improve the running game Denny should be near the top of your list.

That's my problem is that I don't think the ZBS works for us in this division. I think we have to have more of a ball control offense traditional power running game in this division, I think defense are just getting too big and too fast and it's starting to negate the ZBS strategy.

That's my problem is that I don't think the ZBS works for us in this division. I think we have to have more of a ball control offense traditional power running game in this division, I think defense are just getting too big and too fast and it's starting to negate the ZBS strategy.

I personally think ZBS is one of the worst things to happen to the NFL.

I personally think ZBS is one of the worst things to happen to the NFL.

Titans run alot of zone and they had a 2,000 yard rusher. The ZBS isn't the problem......our ZBS is the problem. We rely on wimpy lineman who get pushed around, while other teams don't have problems still plugging big physical lineman into their system.

I understand your point, but I think it was doing exactly what you say, brining in Sherman, that set us back at least a year in the run game.

I understand your point, but I think it was doing exactly what you say, bringing in Sherman, that set us back at least a year in the run game.

i agree with the direction i assume TK is heading, we're not looking for an opposing view to support our weaknesses for the next OC ... we're looking for a compliment to accentuate our strengths. the colts dont want bill cowher telling them to run the ball 40 times a game nomatter how good he may be at it. bulldozing from the 1 yardline isnt a scheme, it's personnel - arizona and baltimore and others lining up defensive tackles in the backfield helps prove that point. this is also where a trusted coordinator is going to have kubiak's ear when it's said "coach, butler and hill and zgonina in this scenario would help".

as for the "ZBS doesnt work" crowd ... stop. the ZBS in effect exactly mirrors the 3-4 defense in how and how often it's used. your arguement carries as much weight as bashing the 3-4 because capers' version in houston failed spectacularly. half of the league uses it as their main scheme. the entire league takes something from it, and those exclusive teams still revert to power/man running scheme (the 4-3 in my example) when the scheduled situation comes up. the scheme is just fine ... how we execute it is flawed. we're in a division of massive tackles and tiny ends. this is where myers is seen by his supporters as "doing his job". his perceived successes are exactly the flaw - wholly bypassing the tackles to get into the secondary with predictable results, offset by not always being the furthest man in our backfield when he does attempt to take on a tackle (i think it was studdard looking like a tumbleweed during one of our touchdowns against the patriots). sealing undersized ends and locating the nearest linebacker shouldnt be our concern. chopping down the second tackle to free up inside, forward, and back-cut opportunities is what ISNT happening. this is why defensive linemen hate gibbs, and why he's been so successful, and why our zone isnt. (legally) chopping down inside persuit creates a "follow your bocker", "one cut and go" opportunity that we havent had.

one of the biggest reasons gibb's zone blocking has been so successful with late round picks and passed over veterans is because that's where you get guys like studdard who have no qualms about throwing their body out there. for some reason, we dont do that. we block in a direction, myers goes straight to the outside linebacker, and at most we chip the weakside linebacker or defensive end. we either need to find more powerful blockers who can push a direction, or we need to join the most wanted list in the true gibbs scheme. right now we're half assed inbetween. a coach from that school would be our best bet to finish the scheme in either direction.

but hey, i'm 3 sheets to the wind and making it up as i go.

Last edited:

I don't think the problem is with the ZBS, it proved to be very succesful in 2008 (Slaton over 1200 yrds). I think the loss of 2/5 of the starting line combined with Slaton's fumbling problems are mostly to blame.

i agree with the direction i assume TK is heading, we're not looking for an opposing view to support our weaknesses for the next OC ... we're looking for a compliment to accentuate our strengths. the colts dont want bill cowher telling them to run the ball 40 times a game nomatter how good he may be at it. bulldozing from the 1 yardline isnt a scheme, it's personnel - arizona and baltimore and others lining up defensive tackles in the backfield helps prove that point. this is also where a trusted coordinator is going to have kubiak's ear when it's said "coach, butler and hill and zgonina in this scenario would help".

as for the "ZBS doesnt work" crowd ... stop. the ZBS in effect exactly mirrors the 3-4 defense in how and how often it's used. your arguement carries as much weight as bashing the 3-4 because capers' version in houston failed spectacularly. half of the league uses it as their main scheme. the entire league takes something from it, and those exclusive teams still revert to power/man running scheme (the 4-3 in my example) when the scheduled situation comes up. the scheme is just fine ... how we execute it is flawed. we're in a division of massive tackles and tiny ends. this is where myers is seen by his supporters as "doing his job". his perceived successes are exactly the flaw - wholly bypassing the tackles to get into the secondary with predictable results, offset by not always being the furthest man in our backfield when he does attempt to take on a tackle (i think it was studdard looking like a tumbleweed during one of our touchdowns against the patriots). sealing undersized ends and locating the nearest linebacker shouldnt be our concern. chopping down the second tackle to free up inside, forward, and back-cut opportunities is what ISNT happening. this is why defensive linemen hate gibbs, and why he's been so successful, and why our zone isnt. (legally) chopping down inside persuit creates a "follow your bocker", "one cut and go" opportunity that we havent had.

one of the biggest reasons gibb's zone blocking has been so successful with late round picks and passed over veterans is because that's where you get guys like studdard who have no qualms about throwing their body out there. for some reason, we dont do that. we block in a direction, myers goes straight to the outside linebacker, and at most we chip the weakside linebacker or defensive end. we either need to find more powerful blockers who can push a direction, or we need to join the most wanted list in the true gibbs scheme. right now we're half assed inbetween. a coach from that school would be our best bet to finish the scheme in either direction.

Other teams use ZBS, but they dont use finesse linemen who our weak at the point of attack. Thats where we get hurt. When Myers is blocking those huge disruptive Nose Tackles you are at a disadvantage. If we had stronger linemen and ran Zone mixed with power running, we would be ok.

Titans run alot of zone and they had a 2,000 yard rusher. The ZBS isn't the problem......our ZBS is the problem. We rely on wimpy lineman who get pushed around, while other teams don't have problems still plugging big physical lineman into their system.

What CB said. Indy and the Titans primarily run ZBS. By the way, Myers is the 2nd biggest C in the division. This is a case where size doesn't matter, talent does as the smallest C in the division is the best - Mawae at 285 lbs.

It's not a scheme issue. It's a talent issue.

The ZBS scheme works just fine. The only thing that is outdated is the idea that you can bring in UDFA linemen and scheme your way to a dominant running game.

They need to invest draft picks in guys like Iupati who have both elite athleticism and the strength to dominate in the trenches. A line built with guys like that could run the ZBS with Chris Brown and make him a 2,000 yard rusher.

What CB said. Indy and the Titans primarily run ZBS. By the way, Myers is the 2nd biggest C in the division. This is a case where size doesn't matter, talent does as the smallest C in the division is the best - Mawae at 285 lbs.

Myers plays like he is 220. Rag dolled is rag dolled.

Which was the point of my post. People keep acting like Myers is too small and he isn't. Myers is talent/strength deficient not size deficient. Mawae is a mauler and is 15 lbs lighter.

To be fair in what I can recall Myers had also gained something close to 20 lbs last offseason supposedly.

Which was the point of my post. People keep acting like Myers is too small and he isn't. Myers is talent/strength deficient not size deficient. Mawae is a mauler and is 15 lbs lighter.

Just agreeing with you. Our Guys all have trouble blocking on the 1st level. Thats my problem with our "pure" ZBS linemen we want. No point in worrying about 2nd level if you can't block on the 1st.:kitten:

The reason I'm saying that the ZBS simply doesn't work for me is the fact that the athletic large talented players are almost always geared for DL prospects before they are for OL prospects. If the opposing defense has an athletic front four IMHO the ZBS goes out the window. The inside ZBS game has been HORRENDOUS for us, so has the stretch/outside, and we just have noone that is able to do cutbacks. And don't get me going on the ZBS in the red zone, it's just not good when you are inside the 5 and really get man up blocking with nowhere to stretch.

Denver was ahead of their time with the ZBS, and not a lot of experience defending against it. Things are changing and more teams are effective at defending it.

The Titans, well they have some pretty damn big studs on the OL and RB, they'll be effective at whatever they do for the most part with running the ball.

Just my .02 worth.

The reason I'm saying that the ZBS simply doesn't work for me is the fact that the athletic large talented players are almost always geared for DL prospects before they are for OL prospects. If the opposing defense has an athletic front four IMHO the ZBS goes out the window. The inside ZBS game has been HORRENDOUS for us, so has the stretch/outside, and we just have noone that is able to do cutbacks. And don't get me going on the ZBS in the red zone, it's just not good when you are inside the 5 and really get man up blocking with nowhere to stretch.

Denver was ahead of their time with the ZBS, and not a lot of experience defending against it. Things are changing and more teams are effective at defending it.

The Titans, well they have some pretty damn big studs on the OL and RB, they'll be effective at whatever they do for the most part with running the ball.

Just my .02 worth.

Again, these issues all revolve around talent and skill. The scheme really isn't the problem, the problem is our players do not execute the scheme that well. Whether these particular players here could execute a different scheme in a more effective manner is up for debate, but I think Kubiak is as committed to ZBS as anybody in the NFL and I really don't forsee a change in philosophy.

Again, these issues all revolve around talent and skill. The scheme really isn't the problem, the problem is our players do not execute the scheme that well. Whether these particular players here could execute a different scheme in a more effective manner is up for debate, but I think Kubiak is as committed to ZBS as anybody in the NFL and I really don't forsee a change in philosophy.

And I don't forsee us having much of a running game either. Kubiak seems a bit stubborn in some aspects, willing to adapt/change too late or not at all when things aren't working for them.

The eagles should be a clear indicator that when you get the playoffs, if you can't run the ball prepare to be wtfpwned.

I don't think the problem is with the ZBS, it proved to be very succesful in 2008 (Slaton over 1200 yrds). I think the loss of 2/5 of the starting line combined with Slaton's fumbling problems are mostly to blame.

This is my thinking at times as well. I'm not sold on my opinion though. The later half of last year (08) the front 6 looked very good at the scheme. I was expecting them to pick up where they left off. They didn't. I know that both Pitts and Meyers sat out most of the preseason but all 6 played every snap in '08. I felt like they should have looked better than they did in the first 3 weeks. They didn't. I can't find a reasonable explanation for this. Pre-injury, we looked out matched, out coached, out something'ed.

Was it Gibbs being too hard headed? I've always loved his philosophy of "run 4 plays. Run them perfectly." Very Lombardi'esque. I believe in that. I think our passing philosophy is very similar as well. More plays but still more of a perfectionists offense. When I watch other offenses in the NFL I'm often shocked at how retarded the schemes look. Not all of them obviously, but many of them.

I digress. Was the problem the players themselves? It appeared to be. I often times saw them getting blown up. Not getting off the first level. The guys who are designed to stay on the first level getting pushed into the back field. Were we out schemed? Did a year of film do enough for the DC's to snuff it out? Was Meyers high ankle sprain and shoulder injury enough to take him from the weakest link to bad enough to ruin the whole scheme? It didn't look like that to me. It looked like all 5 guys 6 if you include the TE's getting man handled. Consistently. What's the cause? I don't know and I think it's very hard to say.

It will be interesting to see what difference it makes having Gibbs gone and (hopefully) Dennison here. Will we be better? Can we even be any worse? I guess we'll find out either way...

This is my thinking at times as well. I'm not sold on my opinion though. The later half of last year (08) the front 6 looked very good at the scheme. I was expecting them to pick up where they left off. They didn't. I know that both Pitts and Meyers sat out most of the preseason but all 6 played every snap in '08. I felt like they should have looked better than they did in the first 3 weeks. They didn't. I can't find a reasonable explanation for this. Pre-injury, we looked out matched, out coached, out something'ed.

Was it Gibbs being too hard headed? I've always loved his philosophy of "run 4 plays. Run them perfectly." Very Lombardi'esque. I believe in that. I think our passing philosophy is very similar as well. More plays but still more of a perfectionists offense. When I watch other offenses in the NFL I'm often shocked at how retarded the schemes look. Not all of them obviously, but many of them.

I digress. Was the problem the players themselves? It appeared to be. I often times saw them getting blown up. Not getting off the first level. The guys who are designed to stay on the first level getting pushed into the back field. Were we out schemed? Did a year of film do enough for the DC's to snuff it out? Was Meyers high ankle sprain and shoulder injury enough to take him from the weakest link to bad enough to ruin the whole scheme? It didn't look like that to me. It looked like all 5 guys 6 if you include the TE's getting man handled. Consistently. What's the cause? I don't know and I think it's very hard to say.

It will be interesting to see what difference it makes having Gibbs gone and (hopefully) Dennison here. Will we be better? Can we even be any worse? I guess we'll find out either way...

I think there was a combination of issues from the start that sort of snowballed as they went along.

1. Slaton looked slow from day one. Maybe it was due to the extra weight he put on in the offseason, but he was just not quick enough to the hole.

2. Pitts was coming off of surgery and still trying to recover right up to the start of the season.

3. Then Slaton started fumbling which led to him being benched which prevented him from ever getting into any kind of rhythm.

4. Pitts and Meyers go down causing 5 o-linemen to have to learn how to play together.

5. Slaton goes down and the RB by committee begins

I've always understood that it takes time for an o-line to gel, especially in ZB schemes. It took several weeks but I think they did finally get it together toward the end. I'm basing this on their running game performance in the last two weeks against quality deffenses.

I think we'll see much improvement in the running game in 2010 with a stud RB in the draft and a few changes in the O-line.

Great post... I agree, for the most part. But I think the biggest reason our ZBS has failed, is that Winston won't cut down inside. He makes a weak attempt to look like he is doing it, but it is the most ineffective thing I've seen. When we run to his side, he's strong, & like you said, Studdard has no qualms about doing what he's asked to do. But if you look at our run plays, we decided to run to the left an unreasonably, unbalanced amount of the time. I don't know why, maybe to get Winston to cut block.

Another problem we have had, was that Pitts didn't block down like he was supposed to. He seemed to want to take the man in front of him, & overpower him like you would do in a Power system.

While I like Pitts as much as any Texans fan, I don't look for him to come back because I don't think he wants to run the ZBS. I believe Kubiak has been patient with him because of his consecutive game streak. But now that is over, Studdard is doing what Kubiak wants, & Winston is finally coming around.... I don't see Chester signing with us. He'll do what Dunta did, and find another place to play. We won't franchise him to provide depth. With Chris White & Caldwell taking snaps, If the Keep Myers at Center, White will be the starting Guard, & Caldwell will be our experienced depth.

Other teams use ZBS, but they dont use finesse linemen who our weak at the point of attack. Thats where we get hurt. When Myers is blocking those huge disruptive Nose Tackles you are at a disadvantage. If we had stronger linemen and ran Zone mixed with power running, we would be ok.

Read his post again. Chris Myers is not here to block the NT. His job is to attack the LBs. If you see Chris Myers blocking a NT, something went wrong. & we're talking about true NTs, like Jenkins.

Just agreeing with you. Our Guys all have trouble blocking on the 1st level. Thats my problem with our "pure" ZBS linemen we want. No point in worrying about 2nd level if you can't block on the 1st.:kitten:

When reading my post, don't think that I do not agree with you here. I'm just saying what Myers is "supposed" to do.

If you can remember back to the run game last year... a lot of Slaton's runs were where he was able to bounce outside & break a big one, after he ran up the middle into the back of a logjam that was going nowhere.

A lot of his big runs, were also behind a pulling Eric Winston, or Chester Pitts.

This year, they stopped all that, & it was clear early on, we were going to run the ZBS the way it's supposed to be run.

IMHO, Winston & Pitts never got on board, which led to the pathetic performance we saw before the injuries to Pitts & Myers.

Studdard came in, & he looked like a rookie, but he was doing what Kubiak wanted him to do. Kubiak saying, "the kid should start in this league" made me go back & try to find out wtf Kubiak was talking about.

Winston didn't start playing well on the backside until the second Indy game. IMHO from then on, it was purely a RB problem.

I'm not too excited about Arian Foster, unless he finds some burst this offseason, and some gametime speed.... Our OL are going to have to play perfect, every down, every play, & that isn't going to happen.

the second year in the system should not 14 weeks to "gel".

Piitts went down in week 2. Briesel went down in week 5. & we had started to play well, as an OL unit, in week 12 against Indy.

I don't think that adds up to 14 weeks.

Denisson accepts, good hire for Kubiak. Now, are we going to look for QB coach? Or, this would be the last hire coach for now?

Well good. I was getting worried that with Gibbs leaving and if Dennison turned down a promotion to run an offense he has been in for 14 years then that was a bad sign of things to come next season.

Go Texans!!!

TEXANRED, I am aware of that as you can see what I posted earlier. What I am trying to getting at is this would be our last hire for the Texans' coaching staff or not. Although Kubiak can handle QB situation, I would like for him to focus more of over all HC duties.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited:
Glad that he accepted. Feel better now. Hopefully he can help Kubiak with the conservative play-calling (be more aggresive with the lead) and the running game.

Oh noes...all the rats are jumping ship. Well except for this stupid rat who just jumped on the sinking ship. LOL.

Last edited:
If you can remember back to the run game last year... a lot of Slaton's runs were where he was able to bounce outside & break a big one, after he ran up the middle into the back of a logjam that was going nowhere.

Some of Slaton's biggest runs last year, came straight up the middle of the field....well as long as we were in between the 20s. Slaton struggled in short yardage situations, but in space he didn't have a problem finding yards in the middle of the field last year.

Last edited:
Some of Slaton's biggest runs last year, came straight up the middle of the field....well as long as we were in between the 20s. Slaton struggled in short yardage situations, but in space he didn't have a problem finding yards in the middle of the field last year.

My point was that the ZBS wasn't working well last year as the previous poster implied. We weren't 100% pure, and a lot of the running game was more Steve that the OL.

I also contend that over the last 4 or 5 games, our OL was playing very well, but we were short a RB who could see & adjust until Foster got into the line up.

So much for the theory that Gary couldn't get the OC he wanted if he didn't have an extension. Now it's time for him to EARN an extension.

I asked John McClain on his live chat yesterday if he expected Kub to get an extension before the start of next season and he said yes.

I hope he does get one because I think it would become a distraction. The media would harp on it all year.

I asked John McClain on his live chat yesterday if he expected Kub to get an extension before the start of next season and he said yes.

I hope he does get one because I think it would become a distraction. The media would harp on it all year.

I would extend him one year, no more till we know if we want him.

I want the players to think Kubiak's job is on the line starting in the preseason and all the way through week 17 and hopefully the playoffs. It worked for Wade Phillips.

Back