Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

david carr

utahmark

markbeth
alright...

ive been here forever but i dont post to terribly much. if you know me you know im a big carr supporter. im also a big stats man. and recently a lot of stats of been brought up that dont look so good for carr supporters. im not so sure what to think. this is my team but not only do i want to win i want to win with players i can root for. i dont wont to win with just any players we can find in free agency. i want to win with guys i respect and my kids can look up to. carr is definetly one of these guys. so the question is can we win with carr.

i know his faults. look... you shouldnt have to teach a guy to throw the ball away instead of running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. but you also cant teach that arm he has. for every negative you can give me i can find positive, but it comes down to carr has all the tools but may not be "football savy". you cant downplay how important "football savy" means to a qb. maybe kubes can teach him what he needs to know but you cant teach that moment. the moment that comes in the criticle point in a game that you havent talked about. what do you do. will carr do the right thing..... dont know. what i do know is carr is better than most give credit for. he is maybe the most accuarate passer in the league. if given time ive seen him do things like the greats. but unfortuanatly he doesnt have the comfort of a lot of time.

alright ... understand im not a great writer and i might of drank a beer or two and i have to constantly check my spelling. emmitt smith imo good running back who stayed healthy playing with, i hate to say this, a great team. he made a great team better but if he would of been drafted by the bengals we would of all forgot his name by now.

now think about carr and aikman. aikman is imo was probably a better qb but not by much. understand aikman played for the same team as emmitt and had the luxary of that great oline and that great defense along with the wr and te. i think carr would of stived in that situation and won just as many super bowls. now does that mean carr is a great qb. not exactly. carr is imo a good qb that needs the proper tools around him. carr is a qb that can get the job done and is slightly overpaid. we can win with him but he cannot make a team much better than they really are. is that a bad thing? i dont think so. give me a list of qb's that can make a team signifacantly better then they really are. i dont know? tom brady, daunte culpeper, vick in certain situations, manning, who else?

i dont know. i can live with a new qb if thats what it takes. but it better be a special one. cause carr didnt lose the giants game he was getting them in postion to win untill an untimely fumble. carr didnt lose the bills game the play calling and prevent lost that one. aikman and emmitt playing those same games would of been heroes cause the fullback wouldnt of fumbled and the defense would of held. the tenn game..... aikman had his share of bad games too. we were 2 and 14 last year.

you guys go out and get you a new qb. i want to win with carr.....
carr and daunte and aj and mario and demarco. they are my guys. thats my team

I highly doubt that Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb or Smith would be on the same learning curve that Carr appears to be on.

Despite all the needs, this is what I feel Texans should do this off season - Get a dominate RB (Lynch or Peterson), Improve the Oline, Better Full Back, Good 3rd WR. If all that is added, and Carr still doesn't do anything, then replace him in 2008.

My other suggestion will be to focus on defense strictly and try to fix all holes - We definitely need a game changing safety, another corner with speed, OLB who can play side line to side line, oh and a run stopping DT. With Mario and Ryans this year, we are starting a nice nucleus along with Dunta to build a nice defense. I would love to strike that fear into opponents when they look at their schedule and they see they're playing US. Defense Wins Championships, and your quarterback manages the game. Thats exactly what Roethlisberger did last year. The Ravens won with Trent Dilfer as their guy. I'm not saying that we have the next Ravens D or 85 Bears, but, IMO we should continue to be committed to building this D. At the very least, we get Carr more confidence, and play looser knowing that his D is going to get him the ball back. He could manage the game nicely. Or, you build up the D through the draft and FA( O-line too), then when you do decide to replace Carr, your new franchise quarterback can step into a great situation, maybe watch a season, and turn him loose. He'll have way less of a learning curve, and a general better chance to succeed.

The Carr thing reminds of how everyone wants Ensberg gone in the astros organization. Ensberg reminds me of Carr. They are both from California. They both have headcases that need to be fixed. They seem to both have one year off and one year on. Are Californians always this way?? Does it annoy anyone that Carr and some players wear LA Dodgers caps instead of Texans caps during interviews? When an astros player is interviewed you see them wear an astros cap not a NY jets cap or something like that.

ATTENTION: This is not a Carr Bash.....please chill......

Carr isn't a Home Boy. He doesn't have any heart strings attached to this town, which is why he won't make it here. It doesn't matter what people think about him, he doesn't care....he is already "Set for Life" He is fulfilling a business contract with the Texans. I doubt his contract says anything about what hat he wears. It is what it is.

Carr isn't a Home Boy. He doesn't have any heart strings attached to this town, which is why he won't make it here. It doesn't matter what people think about him, he doesn't care....he is already "Set for Life" He is fulfilling a business contract with the Texans. I doubt his contract says anything about what hat he wears. It is what it is.

exactly

He has no ties here? HIS ENTIRE FAMILY from his moms side to his grand parents and great grand parents were all born AND raised in Texas! Do some more research before you say something lame again............Go Dodgers!

He has no ties here? HIS ENTIRE FAMILY from his moms side to his grand parents and great grand parents were all born AND raised in Texas! Do some more research before you say something lame again............Go Dodgers!

Typical Carr haters, they dont know SH..... His whole family moved here when he got drafted.

alright...

you know im a big carr supporter.
.....this is my team but not only do i want to win i want to win with players i can root for. i dont wont to win with just any players we can find in free agency. i want to win with guys i respect and my kids can look up to. carr is definetly one of these guys. so the question is can we win with carr.

i know his faults. look...

... but it comes down to carr has all the tools but may not be "football savy". you cant downplay how important "football savy" means to a qb.

..... dont know. what i do know is carr is better than most give credit for. he is maybe the most accuarate passer in the league. if given time ive seen him do things like the greats.

alright ... understand im not a great writer and i might of drank a beer or two
Great post so far.
he made a great team better but if he would of been drafted by the bengals we would of all forgot his name by now.
this, so far is where I don't agree with you. it might be true that he wouldn't have three championship rings...... it might be true that he wouldn't have had an HOF career..... it might be true that he wouldn't be the all time leading rusher...... Or maybe Larry Allen never makes the probowl.

I'll agree Emmitt isn't as talented as the guys that capture our attention today, but it was his heart, and his desire to be more than he was (at any given time in his career) that made him special.

We wouldn't have forgot totally about Emmit, had he gone to Cincinatti....... but we may very well have forgotten the Cowboys.

Everybody has been focused on the Cowboys QBs between Romo & Aikman, but there has also been a revolving door at running back (as well as WR) as well. I believe if you had removed any leg of that triangle(Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Allen) it would have fell.

now does that mean carr is a great qb. not exactly. carr is imo a good qb that needs the proper tools around him.

cause carr didnt lose the giants game he was getting them in postion to win

carr didnt lose the bills game

you guys go out and get you a new qb. i want to win with carr.....
carr and daunte and aj and mario and demarco. they are my guys. thats my team

I can dig it.

This is just getting annoying. Can we seriously start talking about something besides David Carr. I dont care if you love him or hate him, he is here for 2 years. That is beyond our control. Yes we could cut him or trade him but it is highly unlikely so move on.

If you are a true fan go watch the game and support him today and the rest of the season.

Lets talk about the rest of the season's games, next year what should be done to make this a better football team (not including DC comments), and bring to attention certain news that is hard to find or reveals some new information.

This past week all I see is DC ****. I hate to say it but earlier in the year when we had the crazy optimist that predicted 12-4, 13-3, etc. I enjoyed the board better. If you are to negative to say anything postive just dont say anything.

How was their Thanksgiving dinner?

Oh.. he won't make it here... lol, hello he already did.... Watch the game today.. He Our Quarterback.. has been, and guess what... will be again next year. Other than that, good post. LMAO

Is today's game your idea of making it?

Could someone please go to carr's family and who were born and raised in texas, and tell him to throw a intermediate route, or dont dump the ball off on 3rd down.

Thanks,
The city of houston

Get out the stat books. Now that his completion percentage is so high, and the game is out of reach, its time to pick up some passing yards.

WOOOOOO!!!!! for some stats!

Sorry, Brew.. didn't see you suit up. Oh and do you get the big checks too.

No big checks...I just have an opinion that isn't too popular on this board. The game thread is running out of steam so I started looking at other threads and saw the foot prints on my post. Not that it matters, but Carr is an OK QB, he just ain't the one that will be taking the Texans to the promised land....hell, I'm beginning to wonder if that person has been born yet.

Commentator:

"WHY WHY WHY WHAT WOULD CAUSE A QB TO CHECK DOWN SOO MUCH?!?!"

The answer from the other....
"Everyone is covered down field...there is no one open. The Texans have kept an extra man into block....they have to send another receiver in the pattern to open things up....".

With 1:06 left before half time not a single pass attempt toward the end zone. NOT ONCE.

Less then 1:05 seconds left in the 3rd qtr. and Texans offense is completely shut down by Jets. Jets defense is playing like they are Chicago defense or Baltimore defense. No running or passing game and yet I don't see any adjustments on the Texans game plan down 23-3 heading into 4th qtr.

Jets have adjusted well in second half and it seems like even our 1 yard dump is not working any more.

"Everyone is covered down field...there is no one open. The Texans have kept an extra man into block....they have to send another receiver in the pattern to open things up....".

The question is: How can a team dominate the run game, cover everyone downfield, and get consistent pressure?

You put that on the coaching or what?

I don't belive that ... he could'nt see them if they had weather ballons 10 ' over there head .

Carr nearly as good as Aikman? What kinda dope you been smokin? Out of all the utterly ridiculous Carr apologist's statements, that is possibly the most ridiculous one I have ever seen. Carr doesn't have the arm, the instincts, or the desire that Troy Aikman had. He doesn't inspire confidence. He is not a leader. Anyone who watches even a minute of Texans ball can see that. I believe this team will never be more than mediocre, and most likely bad as long as that clown is our QB...

hts

Carr nearly as good as Aikman? What kinda dope you been smokin? Out of all the utterly ridiculous Carr apologist's statements, that is possibly the most ridiculous one I have ever seen. Carr doesn't have the arm, the instincts, or the desire that Troy Aikman had. He doesn't inspire confidence. He is not a leader. Anyone who watches even a minute of Texans ball can see that. I believe this team will never be more than mediocre, and most likely bad as long as that clown is our QB...

hts

Watch out htsone....if you keep talking like this, you won't get invited to dinner with the Carr family. You did know they all live in Texas didn't you?

Commentator: The last time David Carr threw a touch down pass when the Republican controlled the senate and the house (5 games ago). This is after Carr threw a 3 yds. TD pass to A.Johnson in 4th qtr.

Texans didn't even attempt to throw a TD pass with 2:00 minutes to go before the end of regulations.

The question is: How can a team dominate the run game, cover everyone downfield, and get consistent pressure?

You put that on the coaching or what?

Somewhat, but it is more indicative of a very poor O-line. They have to keep 1-2 guys in to help the pass blocking and that allows the defense to have 5-6 guys covering our 2-3 pass pattern guys and that results in the dump offs. It is also indicated by the fact that the TOTAL yardage put up by our crack stable of running backs was 15 yards. Yes, just 15 yards for the game. So, the end result is a passing game that is stilted because of so few in the routs and a running game that isn't doing squat. Add to that a defense that is incredible weak deep and you have a team that will be ..........rather ineffective.

Carr isn't a Home Boy. He doesn't have any heart strings attached to this town, which is why he won't make it here. It is what it is.

Lol... so Joe Montana shouldn't have been able to make it unless he played for the Eagles, and Steve Young in Utah?

Somewhat, but it is more indicative of a very poor O-line. They have to keep 1-2 guys in to help the pass blocking and that allows the defense to have 5-6 guys covering our 2-3 pass pattern guys and that results in the dump offs. It is also indicated by the fact that the TOTAL yardage put up by our crack stable of running backs was 15 yards. Yes, just 15 yards for the game. So, the end result is a passing game that is stilted because of so few in the routs and a running game that isn't doing squat. Add to that a defense that is incredible weak deep and you have a team that will be ..........rather ineffective.

Great analysis, cool some of these clowns down. I don't here anyone in here talking about our running game or AJ's dropped pass late in the 2nd quarter. It is a total team loss. no one made a play worth anything.

Thank you edo. Are we the only ones on this MB who have figured it out? This game was won (by the Jets) and lost (by the Texans) in the trenches. Pennington had all day to throw and was able to wait for his WR's to get open. It should be noted that the Jets, against the wishes of their fans who wanted to get Leinert and a RB, drafted the top LT and top C in the 1st round. They, like us, lost their RB and do a RBBC. And though neither team gained much on the ground (Texans 25yds, Jets 27yds), their pass blocking was much better. Now that they have solidified their O-line, they will be able to draft that top RB that they need in the next draft. But it all starts up front.

As for the Texans, we have alot more holes to fill, but we have to build that O-line and D-line first. We still need a true dominating LT and a C for the O-line and move Spencer to G. And I think we still need a MONSTER DT that will collapse the pocket and stuff anything up the middle. I agree we need help at CB and S as well as an OLB, but we have to start somewhere, and IMO we still need to start with the Lines. It seems like every year we end up with a "patchwork" O-line and D-line. And even though Kubes has started building these lines, I still think there is more needed, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does more of the same in FA and the draft. JMHO!

Back