david carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by utahmark, Nov 26, 2006.

1. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

alright...

ive been here forever but i dont post to terribly much. if you know me you know im a big carr supporter. im also a big stats man. and recently a lot of stats of been brought up that dont look so good for carr supporters. im not so sure what to think. this is my team but not only do i want to win i want to win with players i can root for. i dont wont to win with just any players we can find in free agency. i want to win with guys i respect and my kids can look up to. carr is definetly one of these guys. so the question is can we win with carr.

i know his faults. look... you shouldnt have to teach a guy to throw the ball away instead of running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. but you also cant teach that arm he has. for every negative you can give me i can find positive, but it comes down to carr has all the tools but may not be "football savy". you cant downplay how important "football savy" means to a qb. maybe kubes can teach him what he needs to know but you cant teach that moment. the moment that comes in the criticle point in a game that you havent talked about. what do you do. will carr do the right thing..... dont know. what i do know is carr is better than most give credit for. he is maybe the most accuarate passer in the league. if given time ive seen him do things like the greats. but unfortuanatly he doesnt have the comfort of a lot of time.

alright ... understand im not a great writer and i might of drank a beer or two and i have to constantly check my spelling. emmitt smith imo good running back who stayed healthy playing with, i hate to say this, a great team. he made a great team better but if he would of been drafted by the bengals we would of all forgot his name by now.

now think about carr and aikman. aikman is imo was probably a better qb but not by much. understand aikman played for the same team as emmitt and had the luxary of that great oline and that great defense along with the wr and te. i think carr would of stived in that situation and won just as many super bowls. now does that mean carr is a great qb. not exactly. carr is imo a good qb that needs the proper tools around him. carr is a qb that can get the job done and is slightly overpaid. we can win with him but he cannot make a team much better than they really are. is that a bad thing? i dont think so. give me a list of qb's that can make a team signifacantly better then they really are. i dont know? tom brady, daunte culpeper, vick in certain situations, manning, who else?

i dont know. i can live with a new qb if thats what it takes. but it better be a special one. cause carr didnt lose the giants game he was getting them in postion to win untill an untimely fumble. carr didnt lose the bills game the play calling and prevent lost that one. aikman and emmitt playing those same games would of been heroes cause the fullback wouldnt of fumbled and the defense would of held. the tenn game..... aikman had his share of bad games too. we were 2 and 14 last year.

you guys go out and get you a new qb. i want to win with carr.....
    carr and daunte and aj and mario and demarco. they are my guys. thats my team

Hottoddie likes this.
  2. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

I highly doubt that Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb or Smith would be on the same learning curve that Carr appears to be on.

Despite all the needs, this is what I feel Texans should do this off season - Get a dominate RB (Lynch or Peterson), Improve the Oline, Better Full Back, Good 3rd WR. If all that is added, and Carr still doesn't do anything, then replace him in 2008.

My other suggestion will be to focus on defense strictly and try to fix all holes - We definitely need a game changing safety, another corner with speed, OLB who can play side line to side line, oh and a run stopping DT. With Mario and Ryans this year, we are starting a nice nucleus along with Dunta to build a nice defense. I would love to strike that fear into opponents when they look at their schedule and they see they're playing US. Defense Wins Championships, and your quarterback manages the game. Thats exactly what Roethlisberger did last year. The Ravens won with Trent Dilfer as their guy. I'm not saying that we have the next Ravens D or 85 Bears, but, IMO we should continue to be committed to building this D. At the very least, we get Carr more confidence, and play looser knowing that his D is going to get him the ball back. He could manage the game nicely. Or, you build up the D through the draft and FA( O-line too), then when you do decide to replace Carr, your new franchise quarterback can step into a great situation, maybe watch a season, and turn him loose. He'll have way less of a learning curve, and a general better chance to succeed.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, at least he doesn't put on a Colts cap or something.

4. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

ATTENTION: This is not a Carr Bash.....please chill......

Carr isn't a Home Boy. He doesn't have any heart strings attached to this town, which is why he won't make it here. It doesn't matter what people think about him, he doesn't care....he is already "Set for Life" He is fulfilling a business contract with the Texans. I doubt his contract says anything about what hat he wears. It is what it is.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

exactly

brewhaus likes this.
  6. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

He has no ties here? HIS ENTIRE FAMILY from his moms side to his grand parents and great grand parents were all born AND raised in Texas! Do some more research before you say something lame again............Go Dodgers!

7. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Typical Carr haters, they dont know SH..... His whole family moved here when he got drafted.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Great post so far.
    this, so far is where I don't agree with you. it might be true that he wouldn't have three championship rings...... it might be true that he wouldn't have had an HOF career..... it might be true that he wouldn't be the all time leading rusher...... Or maybe Larry Allen never makes the probowl.

I'll agree Emmitt isn't as talented as the guys that capture our attention today, but it was his heart, and his desire to be more than he was (at any given time in his career) that made him special.

We wouldn't have forgot totally about Emmit, had he gone to Cincinatti....... but we may very well have forgotten the Cowboys.

Everybody has been focused on the Cowboys QBs between Romo & Aikman, but there has also been a revolving door at running back (as well as WR) as well. I believe if you had removed any leg of that triangle(Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Allen) it would have fell.

I can dig it.

Bamaborn-Texasbred likes this.

9. Big J

Big J Rookie

This is just getting annoying. Can we seriously start talking about something besides David Carr. I dont care if you love him or hate him, he is here for 2 years. That is beyond our control. Yes we could cut him or trade him but it is highly unlikely so move on.

If you are a true fan go watch the game and support him today and the rest of the season.

Lets talk about the rest of the season's games, next year what should be done to make this a better football team (not including DC comments), and bring to attention certain news that is hard to find or reveals some new information.

This past week all I see is DC ****. I hate to say it but earlier in the year when we had the crazy optimist that predicted 12-4, 13-3, etc. I enjoyed the board better. If you are to negative to say anything postive just dont say anything.

10. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

How was their Thanksgiving dinner?

11. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

Is today's game your idea of making it?

12. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

Did they say if they were moving out after the game today?

13. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

Could someone please go to carr's family and who were born and raised in texas, and tell him to throw a intermediate route, or dont dump the ball off on 3rd down.

Thanks,
    The city of houston

14. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

LOL

15. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

Dear Jets,

Could we trade our qbs arm strength for your qbs timing.

Sincerely,
    The Houston texans

16. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

Get out the stat books. Now that his completion percentage is so high, and the game is out of reach, its time to pick up some passing yards.

WOOOOOO!!!!! for some stats!

17. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

bring in kevin kolb or someone similar and tutor him for a year or so and see what happens.

18. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

No big checks...I just have an opinion that isn't too popular on this board. The game thread is running out of steam so I started looking at other threads and saw the foot prints on my post. Not that it matters, but Carr is an OK QB, he just ain't the one that will be taking the Texans to the promised land....hell, I'm beginning to wonder if that person has been born yet.

19. ComstockLode

ComstockLode Veteran

Commentator:

"WHY WHY WHY WHAT WOULD CAUSE A QB TO CHECK DOWN SOO MUCH?!?!"

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Veteran

The answer from the other....
    "Everyone is covered down field...there is no one open. The Texans have kept an extra man into block....they have to send another receiver in the pattern to open things up....".