Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chiefs acquire Michael Bennett

Kubiak is a former QB and Antowain Smith isn't exactly a HOF running back. I'm sure they'll do a great job, but nothing compares to having a player of Jerome Bettis' caliber teaching you the game.

mexican_texan said:
Kubiak is a former QB and Antowain Smith isn't exactly a HOF running back. I'm sure they'll do a great job, but nothing compares to having a player of Jerome Bettis' caliber teaching you the game.

Plus Jerome has all of that chunky soup at his disposal.

mexican_texan said:

Antowain Smith is the perfect mentor for Kubiaks running game. There are many parallels between the Patriots running game and ours. Antowain Smith knows it better than anyone.... he's the OG of the modern dynasty.

the wonger need food said:
Adam Schefter is reporting on NFL Network that the Saints are asking for a 3rd. Rams, Dolphins and Texans are in the running.

I'd be torn on giving up a 3rd for Bennett...

texan279 said:
I'd be torn on giving up a 3rd for Bennett...

That's a tough one. He's only had 1 good season. He fumbles a lot and can't stay healthy. But he appears to be the best RB available and the Texans might be getting desperate now that they've seen where Domanick is.

I know that he doesn't have much say in the matter, but Houston is about the only place he has a chance to be a starter.

A third is a little high, but if he can stay healthy he would be a great addition to this team. Having that kind of speed in the Denver system can equal a lot of yards.

That's a tough one. He's only had 1 good season. He fumbles a lot and can't stay healthy. But he appears to be the best RB available and the Texans might be getting desperate now that they've seen where Domanick is.

I know that he doesn't have much say in the matter, but Houston is about the only place he has a chance to be a starter.

I doubt the team will make a move for Bennett, and if it happens it won't be for another week or two until they have a better idea of what they already have at the RB position, maybe even after a preseason game or two. I really don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd rounder for Bennett, he is very fast for a RB but he has had fumbling problems and plenty of injury problems, and I don't think we are in that desperate of a RB situation.

I agree, on one hand, I doubt any better RB's hit waivers or would be available for trade anytime soon, if at all this season, on the other, we don't know at this point exactly how bad DD's knee is or they haven't released the details. Either way I have had a bad feeling for a long time about DD's knee and these last couple of days I have gotten an even a worse feeling about it. At this point depending on DD's knee and our other backs, we might almost have to put up the 3rd. I just wonder if the coaches find out DD's knee is really bad or they think think he won't make it through the season they don't let it be known publicly so New Orleans doesn't drive up the asking price.

MorKnolle said:
I doubt the team will make a move for Bennett, and if it happens it won't be for another week or two until they have a better idea of what they already have at the RB position, maybe even after a preseason game or two. I really don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd rounder for Bennett, he is very fast for a RB but he has had fumbling problems and plenty of injury problems, and I don't think we are in that desperate of a RB situation.

It's going to be later than that in that any Bennett trade will occur ONLY after Duece has proven to the Saints that he will be able to "shoulder the weight" of a good portion of the carries.

Adam Schefter is reporting on NFL Network that the Saints are asking for a 3rd. Rams, Dolphins and Texans are in the running.
No way do we give up a third for this guy. I say we limp along (no pun intended) with what we got this year and address RB in the offseason if these guys don't pan out. Denver was the second best rushing team in the NFL with Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson last year. Davis, Morency, Smith, Lundy, and Taylor can at least be good enough to put us middle of the pack.

Giving up a third I think is reasonable. Why not? I mean look at our third round pick last year in Vernand Morency. There's a 50/50 chance that the player we pick is going to pan out. Let's fix the problem and get a solid starter in Michael Bennett to fix the problems we have now. I think Lundy, Smith, Morency, and Taylor can all pick up some of the slack but we'd be a lot better off with Michael Bennett if he can stay healthy.

TexanFan881 said:
Giving up a third I think is reasonable. Why not? I mean look at our third round pick last year in Vernand Morency. There's a 50/50 chance that the player we pick is going to pan out. Let's fix the problem and get a solid starter in Michael Bennett to fix the problems we have now. I think Lundy, Smith, Morency, and Taylor can all pick up some of the slack but we'd be a lot better off with Michael Bennett if he can stay healthy.

But look at what we potentially might have landed in our third round picks this year!

TexanFan881 said:

Bennett isn't a solid starter, that's the problem. He's had as many if not more injury problems than DD (missed 16 games over 5 seasons, only played all 16 games twice, and one of those he only had 126 carries for the year) and has never carried the ball more than 255 times in a season. He is not worth giving up a 3rd rounder, look at what we got in the 3rd this year in Spencer and Winston. I don't want to give up on possibly getting another player of that talent for Bennett.

TexanFan881 said:

Cant agree with you hear. Michael Bennet lost his job to Mewelde Moore a mid round pick. Bennett has had fumbling problems and been injured as much as DD. No reason to get him just because he can run the 40 well. Smith, Taylory, Lundy, and Morency can shoulder the load if DD cant go. I doubt we even slip from the 16 spot we achieved last year.

The more I think about it the more I think we should go after Bennett. IF DD is unable to perform this season or play at 100%, we will have to rely on a 34 year old vet, a 6th round rookie, two undrafted rookie free agents, and a second year guy who has started one NFL game in his career to carry the load. Unless one of the rookies turns out to be one of those "diamond in the rough" finds or Morency can step up, we are going to need a solid experienced running back if one becaomes available. Sure Bennett has had injury problems and has had problems fumbling, but DD is still having injury problems and had fumbling problems in the past.

Here is the link...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2536868

With the future of Priest Holmes still undetermined, the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday night acquired running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints for what is believed to be a future draft choice, ESPN.com has learned.

Paperwork must still be filed with the NFL office and the deal is contingent on Bennett passing a Chiefs-administered physical exam. That should not be a problem since Bennett was already in camp with the Saints and practicing.

The subject of considerable trade talk ever since the Saints chose Reggie Bush in the first round of the draft, Bennett will become the primary backup to starter Larry Johnson. The absence of Holmes, and the possibility that he might be forced to retire because of head and neck injuries sustained last season, left the Chiefs perilously thin at the position.

Several teams inquired about Bennett and, in the past week, the St. Louis Rams -- who will be without Marshall Faulk for all of the 2006 season -- offered the Saints a fourth-round pick in next year's draft. Bennett would have preferred being traded to the Rams, where Scott Linehan, his onetime offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings, is the first-year head coach.

New Orleans officials told Bennett and his agent that they dealt him to Kansas City because they did not want to trade him to an NFC team. Other franchises that expressed an interest in Bennett in the last three months included Miami and Houston.

The Saints could have traded Bennett earlier, but held off until they could assess the recovery of starting tailback Deuce McAllister from 2005 knee surgery and until they got Bush under contract.

A former first-round draft choice and a onetime Pro Bowl performer, Bennett was signed by the Saints as an unrestricted free agent on March 17, at a time when New Orleans was seeking an established back and had no idea Bush would be available at No. 2 in the draft. Bennett signed a two-year, $3 million contract.

Before signing with the Saints, Bennett, 27, played all five previous seasons with the Vikings, who chose him in the first round of the 2001 draft. The former University of Wisconsin star was the draft's 27th overall selection that year, four spots after the Saints chose McAllister.

The speedy Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns in '02, and became the first player in NFL history to produce runs of 60-plus yards in three straight games that year. Over the ensuing three seasons, however, Bennett totaled only 1,196 yards and five touchdowns. In 16 appearances in 2005, including six starts, he carried 126 times for 473 yards and three touchdowns.

Dammit! I would much rather have had Bennett starting over Wali Lundy, Antowain Smith, or any other RB we have in camp.

I really thought the Rams would grab him somehow, but clearly the Chiefs are planning on Priest not playing next season.

I'm glad this happened, because as someone posted earlier (don't remember who ?), this guy has been very injury prone and had a serious case of fumbalitus. Bad, bad combination.

texan279 said:
The more I think about it the more I think we should go after Bennett. IF DD is unable to perform this season or play at 100%, we will have to rely on a 34 year old vet, a 6th round rookie, two undrafted rookie free agents, and a second year guy who has started one NFL game in his career to carry the load. Unless one of the rookies turns out to be one of those "diamond in the rough" finds or Morency can step up, we are going to need a solid experienced running back if one becaomes available. Sure Bennett has had injury problems and has had problems fumbling, but DD is still having injury problems and had fumbling problems in the past.

When I look at Antowain Smith, I see a guy who could do for us what Terrell Davis (another nobody before the run blocking scheme)did for the Broncos........ I think he is that type of runner, or can be in a run blocking system.......

I think DD can be something totally different, but special just the same.

I also don't understand why their is so much concern for our running back situation when we haven't even so much as looked at our secondary unit.

texan279 said:
Now this thread can die lol....
Yep this was a herpes thread no doubt. Did it break the record ? The day this turd sinks to page two....the "off" season's over. My respect for Rick Smith just went up ten fold. Don't over pay or someone else's garbage.

They had to give up a 3rd round pick considering I think the Rams offered a 4th and they got turned down. All I've got to say is atleast Chris Brown is still somewhat available.

thunderkyss said:
When I look at Antowain Smith, I see a guy who could do for us what Terrell Davis (another nobody before the run blocking scheme)did for the Broncos........ I think he is that type of runner, or can be in a run blocking system.......

That "type of runner"--what type is that both could be considered the same type beyond NFL RB's in a ZBS?

Talk about unbridled optimism--Smith has only averaged over 4.0 ypc once in his career--his rookie season 10 years ago. Hard to imagine him suddenly galumphing along at 5.0 ypc.

Vinny said:
the image that comes to mind for me is, ''old guy past his prime who is going to struggle just to make the team".

Nah ... I think he'll easily make it. He's a strong runner and a veteran who I think might become a leader of sorts. As far as TD ... no way in hell. Two totally different types of runners. Antowain flat out doesn't have the wheels to break out of the secondary. He'll primarily be our short yardage back this year.

And I am glad Bennett was traded ... now we can stop talking about him. Trust me folks, we have plenty of young talent in camp right now.

Cruuuuuuuz said:
MCKENZIES FIRST #$% up if you ask me, letting Bennett get away.

Who's McKenzie? The Saints GM? If you're talking about the Texans though, our GM is Rick Smith.

from www.kffl.com

Saints | Team acquired 2007 fourth-round pick for Bennett
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:07:05 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Kansas City Chiefs traded a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for RB Michael Bennett, according to league sources.

I would think if we were in the running for Bennett and we offered a 4th the Saints would have taken it over the Chief's 4th since our pick will more than likely be higher than the Chief's in '07. :hmmm:

texan279 said:
from www.kffl.com

Saints | Team acquired 2007 fourth-round pick for Bennett
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:07:05 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Kansas City Chiefs traded a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for RB Michael Bennett, according to league sources.

I would think if we were in the running for Bennett and we offered a 4th the Saints would have taken it over the Chief's 4th since our pick will more than likely be higher than the Chief's in '07. :hmmm:

Wow we could have offered better. That's disappointing. We must have been trying to give them a fifth or we were only offering players. :brickwall Hopefully this means we're looking hard at Chris Brown or we're looking good at RB.

TexanFan881 said:
Wow we could have offered better. That's disappointing. We must have been trying to give them a fifth or we were only offering players. :brickwall Hopefully this means we're looking hard at Chris Brown or we're looking good at RB.

Word was they didnt want to trade him to someone in thier division.. But just what I heard. Dont know how valid that was.

TexanFan881 said:

Giving up a 3rd round pick for Michael Bennett would have been absolutely insane. A 4th round pick is an ok deal, but not really a favorable one in my opinion for the Chiefs.

Think about it. Who would you rather next year? Michael Bennett or a Charles Spencer/Eric Winston type?

Numbskull said:
Giving up a 3rd round pick for Michael Bennett would have been absolutely insane. A 4th round pick is an ok deal, but not really a favorable one in my opinion for the Chiefs.

Think about it. Who would you rather next year? Michael Bennett or a Charles Spencer/Eric Winston type?

I'm saying we should have offered a fourth, considering the Saints would probably think that our fourth was more valuable than the Chiefs fourth, therefore it being a logical deal.

Back