Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB (Yates named #2)

Three years from now if Luck is putting up the same numbers, he won't be a starter.

The only numbers that really count are wins and losses. If, three years from now, Luck is at the helm of a team that is still posting double digit wins AND finding a way to squeak into the playoffs, he'll still be starting.

So will Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and RGIII.

Edited for clarity:
I AM convinced that the Colts' success last year was due, in no insignificant part, to them playing for their coach who was battling cancer. Luck didn't hurt them ...much but he didn't "carry" them as some talking heads are giving him credit for doing. That emotional wave they rode last year won't be in play this year.
Plus teams have a whole year of "tape" on Luck himself.
Let's see what happens.

Last edited:
The only numbers that really count are wins and losses. If, three years from now, Luck is at the helm of a team that is still posting double digit wins AND finding a way to squeak into the playoffs, he'll still be starting.

I agree with that & addressed it with the Mark Sanchez comparison... the Jets are paying for that now.

Is Luck a backup QB for the Texans now?

In other news, let's cut Keenum and bring back Carr. :pinned:

I really don't care whether Case is the back up, or Yates. I think either has the talent & tools to replace Matt (when that day comes). But I know the odds are that neither of them will.

It would be better for the Texans if they can play in this league. If Matt is to be replaced by either of these guys, I hope it is truly an upgrade, not just in mobility & want to, but in efficiency & competitiveness as well.

To me, Yates looks like a baller, Keenum looks like a winner. I'm glad they're both here.

& who knows, chances are I'm wrong & Kubiak names Keenum the back up for Sept 9.

Guess we are to the point where the most popular person is the QB...and when the backup becomes the starting QB, we still love our backup

The only numbers that really count are wins and losses.
That is the most abused stat ever. Wins and losses are pure TEAM stats. I hate it when QB's are credited with them. Head coaches, OK. They have a big role in both sides of the ball. Honestly, W-L's should be used to judge HC's and GM's and nothing more. I have yet to see a QB throw a hail mary to himself for a game winning TD.

How many people feel that when we're facing Sanchez when we're playing against Luck and the Colts? (since both QBs are comparable.. like Luck is to Tebow, Gabbert, and now Sanchez), if you do.. raise your hands

Last edited:
Kubes will prob do the safe move

and just keep 2 QB's Matt and TJ and put Chase back on the PS team and just gamble and hope he clears waivers .... if not o wellnice knowing u Kase maybe he could come back in 2 years or somethin if it does not work out where ever he goes

and just keep 2 QB's Matt and TJ and put Chase back on the PS team and just gamble and hope he clears waivers .... if not o wellnice knowing u Kase maybe he could come back in 2 years or somethin if it does not work out where ever he goes
Your time zone is AFU. Kubiak kept all three hours ago.

where have u been? lol

Only if they want to alter the roster by picking up another player. These 53 have their salaries guaranteed for the year.
Only players with 4 years or more of service will have their contracts guaranteed for the year.

Only players with 4 years or more of service will have their contracts guaranteed for the year.

Which makes it applicable to only 20 players (give or take) on the Texans current 53 man roster.

In regard to his point about cuts only being needed "if they want to alter the roster by picking up another player" that's almost true. They're going to have to let someone go after week one when Antonio Smith's suspension is over. While I would be extremely surprised if that ended up being Case, it's gonna be someone (and FWIW, my guess is either Cody White or Andrew Gardner).

Your time zone is AFU. Kubiak kept all three hours ago.

I don't think it's going to happen, but when Antonio's suspension is over, they can cut Case & sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers, & if Case's Agent can't do his job. If I were Case I wouldn't sign to the practice squad.

But someone else mentioned it. Most teams will probably have their plans set in stone more or less by week 2. Not sure if Case has shown enough in preseason to make them change those plans that late. If one of his UH coaches were to be in the NFL I could see it, but as far as I know, they're still at UH or A&M.

If Case is not cut, will you shave your head?

Seriously. I've seen so many people on here convinced that
Case is just so underserving of a roster spot..

I have a hunch neither of these QB's see any kind of waver
wire. You seemed to actually be hoping it does for some reason.

Potential trade value, alone, makes cutting either QB
a short-sighted decision.

If you do think it happens (or really want it to), put your money
(so to speak) where your mouth is

Shave your head, or get a tat, or something.. After all,
you seem to have such conviction..

TJ

I don't think it's going to happen, but when Antonio's suspension is over, they can cut Case & sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers, & if Case's Agent can't do his job. If I were Case I wouldn't sign to the practice squad.

But someone else mentioned it. Most teams will probably have their plans set in stone more or less by week 2. Not sure if Case has shown enough in preseason to make them change those plans that late. If one of his UH coaches were to be in the NFL I could see it, but as far as I know, they're still at UH or A&M.

If Case is not cut, will you shave your head?

Seriously. I've seen so many people on here convinced that
Case is just so underserving of a roster spot..

I have a hunch neither of these QB's see any kind of waver
wire.

If you do, put your money (so to speak) where your mouth
is.

Shave your head, or get a tat, or something.. After all,
you seem to have such conviction..

TJ

I didn't say I believe he should be cut, I simply presented a scenario, the "gift" of Antonio's suspension.

I will however shave my head if Kubiak names him the back up QB for Sept 9..... will you do the same if Tj is the back up?

I'll make it easy for you. If Keenum is the back up Sept 9, I'll shave my head, take a picture & use it for my avatar for the rest of the year.

If Tj is the back up all the way to the bye week, you should do the same for the remainder of the season. To save your locks, all Case has to do is be on the active roster (dress for a game) before the bye.

Don't matter to me if Schaub gets hurt, or Gary feels like dressing 3 QBs, or if Case is named the #2 for whatever reason before the bye....

What do you say?

I didn't say I believe he should be cut, I simply presented a scenario, the "gift" of Antonio's suspension.

I will however shave my head if Kubiak names him the back up QB for Sept 9..... will you do the same if Tj is the back up?

I'll make it easy for you. If Keenum is the back up Sept 9, I'll shave my head, take a picture & use it for my avatar for the rest of the year.

If Tj is the back up all the way to the bye week, you should do the same for the remainder of the season. To save your locks, all Case has to do is be on the active roster (dress for a game) before the bye.

Don't matter to me if Schaub gets hurt, or Gary feels like dressing 3 QBs, or if Case is named the #2 for whatever reason before the bye....

What do you say?

:popcorn:

What do you say?

hAC27044C

What do you say?

Hey, your head isn't already shaved is it (mine is)? Shaved heads are in now soooo....

Don't change the subject. I never said Case would be named #2.
Just that he had the talent to play in the NFL -- and make a
roster..

For the last month you've been sliding in backhanded statements
about Keenum.

It's clear to me you think his spot on the roster is a waste. Well,
let's see if you're right.

I cannot predict who Gary names #2. If he wants to trade Yates
it would make sense to name him #2 even if he didn't feel he
was the second best QB on the roster. (silly wager for anyone
to take because naming a #2 doesn't depend on what a coach
feels a players value will be down the road)

You think people like Luck and Wilson are doomed to failure, and
consistently have argued that Yates is superior. It was only
when it was clear that Keenum was destined for the 53 that your
tone changed.

So I'm looking forward to your bald cranium when Keenum is
still collecting a paycheck come playoff time..

TJ

What do you say?

Don't change the subject. I never said Case would be named #2.
Just that he had the talent to play in the NFL -- and make a
roster..

For the last month you've been sliding in backhanded statements
about Keenum.

It's clear to me you think his spot on the roster is a waste. Well,
let's see if you're right.

I cannot predict who Gary names #2. If he wants to trade Yates
it would make sense to name him #2 even if he didn't feel he
was the second best QB on the roster. (silly wager for anyone
to take because naming a #2 doesn't depend on what a coach
feels a players value will be down the road)

You think people like Luck and Wilson are doomed to failure, and
consistently have argued that Yates is superior. It was only
when it was clear that Keenum was destined for the 53 that your
tone changed.

So I'm looking forward to your bald cranium when Keenum is
still collecting a paycheck come playoff time..

TJ

I see. Big misunderstanding somewhere.

I do not hate Case Keenum. If the future Texans QB is on the roster, I believe it's Case. However, I think the offense, as it is, is designed for Schaub and he's our best option to run it at the moment. If something were to happen to Schaub I believe Tj is the better option to replace Schaub.

However, I think we're in a transition period & if our WRs turn out to be who we think they are, it would be easy to transition to a more dynamic Case Keenum offense. I think that is the type of offense Kubiak had in mind when he started this thing back in 2006. By mid season I wouldn't be surprised if Case is named the back up for what would look like no reason to us.

I also do not believe Luck is doomed, definitely don't think Wilson is. There's a clear difference between RG3/Wilson & Kaepernick/Luck. IMO, RG3/Wilson had the kind of season Lucks hype would have suggested. Luck did not. I have never said that Luck can not develop into a great QB, only that I think it's silly that people act like he already has.

I see. Big misunderstanding somewhere.

I do not hate Case Keenum. If the future Texans QB is on the roster, I believe it's Case. However, I think the offense, as it is, is designed for Schaub and he's our best option to run it at the moment. If something were to happen to Schaub I believe Tj is the better option to replace Schaub.

However, I think we're in a transition period & if our WRs turn out to be who we think they are, it would be easy to transition to a more dynamic Case Keenum offense. I think that is the type of offense Kubiak had in mind when he started this thing back in 2006. By mid season I wouldn't be surprised if Case is named the back up for what would look like no reason to us.

I also do not believe Luck is doomed, definitely don't think Wilson is. There's a clear difference between RG3/Wilson & Kaepernick/Luck. IMO, RG3/Wilson had the kind of season Lucks hype would have suggested. Luck did not. I have never said that Luck can not develop into a great QB, only that I think it's silly that people act like he already has.

Disagree, I think this is exactly the offense that Kubiak wants to run, if he wanted a more dynamic QB he would have drafted one by now. He went out and found Schaub and knew what he was getting.

Disagree, I think this is exactly the offense that Kubiak wants to run, if he wanted a more dynamic QB he would have drafted one by now. He went out and found Schaub and knew what he was getting.

I can tell you without question that Kubiak would like a more "dynamic" QB ... thing is this team is built to win NOW. Schaub is capable of taking this team to the superbowl - pending the running game is effective and the defense does its part.

If they didn't have so much invested in Schaub and weren't "in the title hunt" they would most definitely be trying to fill that most important position .... but they don't have three years to wait for a draft pick to take them to the promised land.

Yeah , some will point to Kaepernick , RG3 , Wilson & Luck and tell us "A rookie can win now" ..... but history proves them dead wrong - When's the last time a rookie QB won a superbowl ?!! (Never?!)

If you have superbowl aspirations the proven course is to have a veteran QB ....

Go back over the teams Kubiak has had and all of the holes that needed to be plugged elsewhere. There really wasn't a chance to draft a more dynamic QB than the guy he did draft (Yates) and the guy that fell in his lap (Keenum).

Schaub has been a good enough system QB that targeting a QB early in the draft wasn't a necessity the last few years. The team could fill in the bigger holes and make the natural progression to a legitimate contender. Mission accomplished. Now the team can focus on getting better at the QB position. About the only thing I can think of that will keep Schaub on the team next season is a Super Bowl appearance. Any semblance of a late season/playoff stumble will be the end of him in Houston.

Yeah , some will point to Kaepernick , RG3 , Wilson & Luck and tell us "A rookie can win now" ..... but history proves them dead wrong - When's the last time a rookie QB won a superbowl ?!! (Never?!)

It's worse than that - no rookie has ever made it to a Super Bowl.

I can tell you without question that Kubiak would like a more "dynamic" QB ... thing is this team is built to win NOW. Schaub is capable of taking this team to the superbowl - pending the running game is effective and the defense does its part.

If they didn't have so much invested in Schaub and weren't "in the title hunt" they would most definitely be trying to fill that most important position .... but they don't have three years to wait for a draft pick to take them to the promised land.

If you have superbowl aspirations the proven course is to have a veteran QB ....
By the time the SB rolls around, Keenum will be older than 9 other QBs who had been to the big game (at the respective time in their career), and Yates is like 6 or 7 months older than that.

Five of those guys won the SB.
So while it is true that no rookie ever won the SB, there have been guys in their second and third year that had won big.

How many rookie QB's are currently on the roster?

Schaub should be the starting QB this yr.

If he gets injured again who does Gary turn too?
Ummm....Yates and Keenum. Be glad that we don't have a rookie behind Schaub. Haven't you been paying attention?

How many rookie QB's are currently on the roster?

Schaub should be the starting QB this yr.

If he gets injured again who does Gary turn too?

The discussion was about a draft pick replacing Schaub = rookie = not on the roster.

To answer your question about the current roster, I think Kubiak would go down the depth chart. I do not think he would wait for an injury and then say "I changed my mind and am going to start the #3 guy even though #2 has not played and isn't injured."

Go back over the teams Kubiak has had and all of the holes that needed to be plugged elsewhere. There really wasn't a chance to draft a more dynamic QB than the guy he did draft (Yates) and the guy that fell in his lap (Keenum).

Schaub has been a good enough system QB that targeting a QB early in the draft wasn't a necessity the last few years. The team could fill in the bigger holes and make the natural progression to a legitimate contender. Mission accomplished. Now the team can focus on getting better at the QB position. About the only thing I can think of that will keep Schaub on the team next season is a Super Bowl appearance. Any semblance of a late season/playoff stumble will be the end of him in Houston.

The Texans have drafted what two QB's since he took over? Alex Brink and Yates, while I agree time is running out for Schaub, I don't think he's seriously made a stab at another QB.

This discussion really belongs in another thread

:headhurts: have you gone completely mental?

So now we've gone from you completely ignoring what was a obvious QB competition from day one and proclaiming Case was never going to make the roster from the start of camp to you now challenging people to shave their heads if the guy isn't the backup?

WOW, if you really had a pair, you would shave your head right now since Case already made the final cut on principal alone, since he's already proven you wrong.

Last edited:
Just rewatched the Cowboys game a few hours ago. All I can say about Keenum is WOW. He drops in the over-the-shoulder passes like Air McNair.

At this point it's all pissing in the wind anyway. Next Monday the regular season starts and Keenum is on the team. Be he 3rd string or 2nd string, either is fine with me, and long as we still got him.

When did I ever say Keenum was never going to make the roster?

Read the thread and your own words. You've stated that their is no competition this entire time and that the team won't carry 3 QB's. You have indirectly suggested it this entire time. You've also done it with very poor reasoning and logic as well.

highlights of a post I made 4 weeks ago.

That's understandable, well thought out. But I think Kubiak understands there is a good chance we're going to see both of these QBs in 2013, in the event that Schaub gets hurt, so he needs both of them ready, which supports putting Keenum on the fast track. He doesn't want to put Keenum in the same situation Yates was in two years ago, thrown to the wolves with nothing but scout team reps (Yates didn't have any reps in our system other than what he had in camp before Lienart got here).

So I believe Kubiak looks at them as 2a & 2b. There's no real "competition" Yates will be the back up & Keenum will be ready to go if needed.

I'm rooting for Keenum, but I'm also rooting for Tj as long as we get a guy that gives us a chance to go all the way, I don't care which.

Everything I've said since is in-line with this post.

I'm going to start calling you Snoop Lion, because you blow more smoke up people's asses than anyone I know.

You know what they say......

Even the little engine who could tooted his own horn :)

Naaa i dont think they really say that, but it is true

God, I think we just need to get hot pink "Team TJ" and lavender "Team Case" t-shirts made for this entire forum.

I love Keenum's improvement. Yates has experience. Kubes made the right call, I think. But by next season, if Keenum keeps up the upward trend, that could change.

Back