Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Carson Wentz, My #1 QB going into 2015 college season

Just curious - what's the motivation for a competing team's exec to, in effect, provide draft advice, to the Browns?

If the team truly is not in need of a QB it could help push another player down to them? Why would the browns listen to what another team has to say? Is Haslam McNairish?

If the team truly is not in need of a QB it could help push another player down to them? Why would the browns listen to what another team has to say? Is Haslam McNairish?

It might have been Jerry Jones trying to get Jared Goff to fall to him.

Just curious - what's the motivation for a competing team's exec to, in effect, provide draft advice, to the Browns?
That's for you the reader to determine. Maybe the Exec was commenting more on Went'z skills and abilities and not so much the Browns??? This is a Carson Wentz thread. I posted a Carson Wentz Senior Bowl article. That's about it. Good to know it generated conversation, that's why we're are here. Some even made comments that they wouldn't have made if they had actually taken the time to read the article.

That's for you the reader to determine.
Yet when some readers post their reaction on this board - and it may be somewhat different then yours - you seem to get defensive.
Maybe the Exec was commenting more on Went'z skills and abilities and not so much the Browns???
From the article:
He's the best quarterback in the draft. If I were picking at No. 2, I'd take him. It will solve all of their problems and they'd get that team turned around.'
So yeah, probably just commenting on skills and abilities.

It's basically like Kraft telling McNair that he's on the right track while his Patriots are beating McNair's Texans into pulp. Nobody with any sense would take that story or that quote seriously. Somebody, somewhere was spinning up a bowl of "soft-serve" draft BS. You can't even look at it and be sure it was for the Brown's benefit. The "Personnel man whose team doesn't need a QB" was probably in Tennessee trying to get someone to come trade a feast of picks to move up and get Wentz before the Browns get him and are "set for 15 years".

Yet when some readers post their reaction on this board - and it may be somewhat different then yours - you seem to get defensive.
Do I get defensive or am I just disagreeing with you and you're taking exception to someone disagreeing with you?

Know-It-All No, but I do read the articles, watch the videos and that does make me much better informed than those who don't.

You can pimp your boy & not be obnoxious about it though..& that's what rubs I, Papal and at least a few others the wrong way with you dude. You tend to get your britches bunched up when someone points out something not flattering about this kid or the articles you post. Yes, this is a thread about Wentz, & yes he looks to be at least as good of a prospect as Goff, but posting EVERY.SINGLE. glowing puff piece and opinion about the guy gets annoying after a while. We get it, you're in love with him & lots of credible folks in the industry love him...but lets not act like he or any of these folks commenting about how great of a prospect he is are above reproach...The draft is still a crap shoot, Wentz has still yet to play a down in the NFL & those same scouts & execs whom opinions you seem to worship are wrong alot too.

You can pimp your boy & not be obnoxious about it though..& that's what rubs I, Papal and at least a few others the wrong way with you dude. You tend to get your britches bunched up when someone points out something not flattering about this kid or the articles you post. Yes, this is a thread about Wentz, & yes he looks to be at least as good of a prospect as Goff, but posting EVERY.SINGLE. glowing puff piece and opinion about the guy gets annoying after a while. We get it, you're in love with him & lots of credible folks in the industry love him...but lets not act like he or any of these folks commenting about how great of a prospect he is are above reproach...The draft is still a crap shoot, Wentz has still yet to play a down in the NFL & those same scouts & execs whom opinions you seem to worship are wrong alot too.
Feel Better? It's a message board. I will post messages and information, Pro and Con. May be you don't like it but others may. If you don't like it, don't read it.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Funny, b/c you took little swipes at others who commented on the title of the article you posted b/c they didn't read it in its entirety...You're right though, this is a messageboard & info is free to be posted for anyone who wants to read it..& those that don't idonno:. Honestly i don't read any article you post..only your actual posts which on their own are pretty damn good...but it seems that anytime someone disagrees with you, you feel the need to post some article or video from some coach,, scout or exec to back up your opinion as if to say "this is why i'm right & you're wrong" when at the end of the day, all of us, including the scouts,execs & coaches are just giving our opinions.

This time last year you were basically tearing down Bridgewater to big up your boy Bortles & Manziel just b/c Bridgewater was getting more attention on the board as the possible pick for the Texans.

Last edited:

If it was ANY other team I'd agree, but this is the same team that conducted a million dollar study that told them to take Bridgewater over Manziel, but the homeless guy down the street supposedly trumped all.

So yeah...If I'm in any draft slots near the Browns I'm playing any and every mind trick I can.

So I heard the Cleveland Browns are hot and heavy for Wentz.
A strong possibility that he's going to be the Browns #2 overall pick.
If he goes there does he have a chance to become an all pro?
Cleveland isn't exactly the place where I think of QBs blossoming.

So I heard the Cleveland Browns are hot and heavy for Wentz.
A strong possibility that he's going to be the Browns #2 overall pick.
If he goes there does he have a chance to become an all pro?
Cleveland isn't exactly the place where I think of QBs blossoming.

How have their previous highly drafted QBs worked out? Thats how I'd assume it go. Who was the last QB to succeed there?

How have their previous highly drafted QBs worked out? Thats how I'd assume it go. Who was the last QB to succeed there?

If they give him multiple years, and build a supporting cast around him and also give their coaching staff sometime I think he would have a chance. Any of these kids could be a bust, but I like hue Jackson and I think he will be a good coach but I don't think Cleveland should expect a quick turn around so their owner has to show patience for ince

If they give him multiple years, and build a supporting cast around him and also give their coaching staff sometime I think he would have a chance. Any of these kids could be a bust, but I like hue Jackson and I think he will be a good coach but I don't think Cleveland should expect a quick turn around so their owner has to show patience for ince

I like Hue, let him pick his QB and give him 4 yrs to build a winner. I think he can do this, if not move on. Kinda like the Texans, but between the triumpherate of crap that is McNair/Smith/BOB if Hue can get the Browns to the Marvin Lewis level of success then he will have a decade of job security.

I sure hope he doesn't go to Cleveland. It'd be a shame if he never gets a fair shot at being a franchise QB in the NFL.
Until I know any different, I suspect Dallas will trade up with Tenn to the first pick in the draft to take Carson Wentz. Dallas will give TENN their #4 pick and their 1st RD pick in 2017 for the #1 pick in 2016. Cleveland and San Diego could throw a monkey wrench in Dallas plans by offering to do the same. Cleveland could get by offering the 1st and 2nd RD 2016 picks.

Until I know any different, I suspect Dallas will trade up with Tenn to the first pick in the draft to take Carson Wentz. Dallas will give TENN their #4 pick and their 1st RD pick in 2017 for the #1 pick in 2016. Cleveland and San Diego could throw a monkey wrench in Dallas plans by offering to do the same. Cleveland could get by offering the 1st and 2nd RD 2016 picks.
I dont think Dallas will draft a qb in the first round. Tony romo still has 4-5 good years left and the team is actually pretty talented. If they pick a talented pass rusher with the 4th pick, they could easily be a super bowl contender next year if Romo stays healthy. If they do draft a qb with the 1st pick, then they are pretty much saying that they are looking long term and I mean, 5-10 years down the road instead of trying to win it now.

They are very similar to the Texans where they are close but just not there, the only difference is that they do have a qb for the meantime. The Cowboys need a solid backup at qb who can go win at least 1/2 the games that Romo misses.

Last edited:
I dont think Dallas will draft a qb in the first round. Tony romo still has 4-5 good years left and the team is actually pretty talented. If they pick a talented pass rusher with the 4th pick, they could easily be a super bowl contender next year if Romo stays healthy. If they do draft a qb with the 1st pick, then they are pretty much saying that they are looking long term and I mean, 5-10 years down the road instead of trying to win it now.

They are very similar to the Texans where they are close but just not there, the only difference is that they do have a qb for the meantime. The Cowboys need a solid backup at qb who can go win at least 1/2 the games that Romo misses.
I agree with this (while I'm not sure Romo has that long left, my guess is that Jerry's going to approach it as if he does). Throw in the fact that they've actually gotten some production from the first round recently, and I'm thinking that the Cowboys will be looking for production from that #1 pick soon, not a year or two down the road.

I dont think Dallas will draft a qb in the first round. Tony romo still has 4-5 good years left and the team is actually pretty talented.

Romo hasn't been able to stay on the field the last 3 years. The last 3 years he hasn't played 16 games. Lot's of disappointment there. Romo 's inability to stay on the field has cost the Cowboys a chance to make the playoffs and why they're picking 4th. The Cowboys only let Romo practice half the time in training camp because he's so beat up and had so many surgeries. This may be as close to getting a franchise QB they get in some time. When that opportunity presents itself, you take it.

Romo hasn't been able to stay on the field the last 3 years. The last 3 years he hasn't played 16 games. Lot's of disappointment there. Romo 's inability to stay on the field has cost the Cowboys a chance to make the playoffs and why they're picking 4th. The Cowboys only let Romo practice half the time in training camp because he's so beat up and had so many surgeries. This may be as close to getting a franchise QB they get in some time. When that opportunity presents itself, you take it.

I agree with your line of thinking, I'd take a QB if I were them, but do you really think they will?

I agree with your line of thinking, I'd take a QB if I were them, but do you really think they will?
Yes I do. After coaching Carson Wentz for a week I'm thinking the Cowboys have absolutely fallen in love with him. Every Cowboy's and Jason Garrett Press Conference was all about Carson Wentz. I can hear Jerry Jones right now saying, we've to get this guy. Carson Wentz will sell tickets and be a playoff contender for the Cowboys until Jerry Jones is well in to 80s. Jerry Jones won't make the same mistake Bob McNair made.

So if the cowboys really want Wentz, they woukd probably trade up with Titans. They would probably have to give up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up.

So what scenario would get you to a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years?

Romo+Miles Jack+Derrick Henry+ solid safety

Or

Romo+wentz

The Cowboys need a pass rusher and a RB badly plus safety help. Picking Wentz would not allieviate any of these problems and they aint winning a title with him in his first 3 years in my opinion. Also, if they pick Wentz,they would have more than 22 million tied up in QB salaries for a while.

And im just using Henry as an example, not sure if hes even projected as a 2nd rounder. But you can insert another good RB as a 2nd rounder.

My point is that the Cowboys aint winning no title if Romo gets hurt but they have just as good as a chance as anyone if he stays healthy and they nail their draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Before he broke his collarbone this year Romo had started 62 of 64 games in the four previous seasons and was coming off the best year of his career in 2014.

Just saying.

Last edited:
So if the cowboys really want Wentz, they woukd probably trade up with Titans. They would probably have to give up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up.

So what scenario would get you to a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years?

Romo+Miles Jack+Derrick Henry+ solid safety

Or

Romo+wentz

The Cowboys need a pass rusher and a RB badly plus safety help. Picking Wentz would not allieviate any of these problems and they aint winning a title with him in his first 3 years in my opinion. Also, if they pick Wentz,they would have more than 22 million tied up in QB salaries for a while.

The Cowboys would've to give up their #4 pick this year and their #1 pick next year to move up to TENN's #1. Since Romo is on the back side of his career and hasn't played a full season in 3 years costing the Cowboys a chance at the playoffs, definitely Romo and Wentz. The Cowboys would still have their 2nd and 3rd RD picks so you can continue to use your mock. However NFL rookies are rarely difference makers or the catalyst for a Super Bowl run in their first year or two in the league.

I don't think the Cowboys take a QB either. Sure, when you're in that position I can see it. Just don't think they will. Not after recently paying Romo as if he'd won a Super Bowl.

I can see them taking a guy they think has peomise, the way the Patriots did in 2014 in the third round. A guy like Kessler, or Hackenberg, or even Hogan.

Same thing for a team like San Diego. Get the best player you can, try to win now. Then grab the best QB you can in the third or fourth if you're looking to the future.

Yes I do. After coaching Carson Wentz for a week I'm thinking the Cowboys have absolutely fallen in love with him. Every Cowboy's and Jason Garrett Press Conference was all about Carson Wentz. I can hear Jerry Jones right now saying, we've to get this guy. Carson Wentz will sell tickets and be a playoff contender for the Cowboys until Jerry Jones is well in to 80s. Jerry Jones won't make the same mistake Bob McNair made.

Was Jerrah coaching the Senior Bowl too?

I've watched the interviews & Jason Garrett's been all "Carson Wentz" like you say, but only because they kept asking about him. Being that Garrett was a backup QB, then QB coach turned HC, I can understand them asking.

Jerah was at the Senior Bowl giving more interviews than Jason. And like every other NFL GM, Jerah was in Mobile evaluating all week long.

Right... the way you were talking it was as if the quality time Garrett & Wentz spent together made Wentz a lock for the Cowboys at #4. As if Jerrah gave a f'ck what gets Garrett wet.

But s now that you mention Jerrah was conducting interviews like every other GM, that makes more sense.

I'm not sure what my biggest disappointment will be; Texans being unable to trade up to draft Wentz
Cowboys adding Wentz to develop behind Romo
Tennesse securing franchise QB last year & trading out of #1 adding more picks. Ironically something Texans have failed to do on three occasions.

we are tilting with windmills, ala Don Quixote and Pancho!
:kubepalm: :wadepalm:

I'm not sure what my biggest disappointment will be; Texans being unable to trade up to draft Wentz
Cowboys adding Wentz to develop behind Romo
Tennesse securing franchise QB last year & trading out of #1 adding more picks. Ironically something Texans have failed to do on three occasions.

we are tilting with windmills, ala Don Quixote and Pancho!
:kubepalm: :wadepalm:

If Hack is what BOB thinks he is all of this will be a moot point.

Sean Jones pointed out something today that I think is interesting, After all of the pro bowl selections bowed out because of injury, not one Texan was selected as a replacement. This points to a severe lack of talent on the current roster.

Sean Jones pointed out something today that I think is interesting, After all of the pro bowl selections bowed out because of injury, not one Texan was selected as a replacement. This points to a severe lack of talent on the current roster.

Yes, sure sounds like a severe lack of talent, but for fairness sake how about listing the teams that had fewer than 2 selected to the pro bowl, and how many others had only replacements named. Were there other teams with no replacements named?

Yes, sure sounds like a severe lack of talent, but for fairness sake how about listing the teams that had fewer than 2 selected to the pro bowl, and how many others had only replacements named. Were there other teams with no replacements named?

Please list those for us.

How many of these teams consider themselves to be SB contenders?

This tells me BOB did a great coaching job last yr, especially with Hoyer at QB.

Wasn't Weeks added to the Pro Bowl?
That argument is kind of invalid considering that our alternate, Brown, is injured but would have been the 6th tackle. In essence we had 4; Nuk, JJ, Brown, and Weeks.

Wasn't Weeks added to the Pro Bowl?
That argument is kind of invalid considering that our alternate, Brown, is injured but would have been the 6th tackle. In essence we had 4; Nuk, JJ, Brown, and Weeks.

Long snapper = LOL

Jones point still stands. Remember he has played on great teams and knows what one looks like talentwise.

Are you suggesting that the Cowboys will take Wentz because of this surgery?

The goal is to make it less likely for Romo to suffer a similar injury moving forward. The Cowboys were clearly a different team without their primary signal caller, and it seems like a wise offseason investment considering Romo would be expected to be full-go by May offseason workouts even after undergoing the operation.

from your link

Please list those for us.

How many of these teams consider themselves to be SB contenders?

This tells me BOB did a great coaching job last yr, especially with Hoyer at QB.

lol... I was asking you the question so you could justify your stance of "severe lack of talent".

Who ever claimed the Texans were legitimate SB contenders?

yes I agree that OB/RAC did a good coaching job last year overall... They were also responsible for 42-0, 40-0 and 30-0

Are you suggesting that the Cowboys will take Wentz because of this surgery?

from your link
Just pointing out this is another surgery for Romo who has been under the knife more than his fair share and he's now 36 not 24. Another reason to contemplate life after Romo which is coming sooner not later.

Back