Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who would you choose as HC? Romeo isn't that guy anymore. Damn sure won't be the OC, he sucks lol.

I think RC has enough left in the tank to finish the season and ensure the Texans the RD1 1 or 2 pick at the same time.

Oh hell, for shites and giggles.....promote Devlin to HC. The team must keep that RD1-1 attainable.

I think RC has enough left in the tank to finish the season and ensure the Texans the RD1 1 or 2 pick at the same time.

After the Kubes incident, I don't ever want to see that again. I know Rac has had his fair share of health problems. I wouldn't put that on him personally but I'm not seeing any other logical options. Glad we can't hire Gruden lol.

After the Kubes incident, I don't ever want to see that again. I know Rac has had his fair share of health problems. I wouldn't put that on him personally but I'm not seeing any other logical options. Glad we can't hire Gruden lol.

Check out the modified post....there might be an alternative and it's right under the team's nose.

interesting. seems that the teams that are currently successful have employed a staff of number crunchers while the Texans have that guy from Kentucky who is multitasking and then Bob has his buddy from high school giving him advice. Seems about right.

Erik Korem isn’t with the Texans any more. It’s too bad, he’s a smart dude

Watch McNair trade for him. Pair of #1's and cash for Chucky!

Watch McNair trade for him. Pair of #1's and cash for Chucky!

Why? They are 0-3 as well, and in their game against Denver he directly lead to their loss. Up by 9 inside the Broncos 30 4th and 1 about half way through the 4th quarter, he decided to go for it instead of kick the field goal. I called it right when I saw them not get it, that the broncos were going to come back and win by 1, and they sure did

Why? They are 0-3 as well, and in their game against Denver he directly lead to their loss. Up by 9 inside the Broncos 30 4th and 1 about half way through the 4th quarter, he decided to go for it instead of kick the field goal. I called it right when I saw them not get it, that the broncos were going to come back and win by 1, and they sure did

I wasn't suggesting it. I was just thinking I could see McNair "getting involved" and deciding to go get Chucky like he should have done (in his own mind) years ago. We're probably just one great coach away right?

interesting. seems that the teams that are currently successful have employed a staff of number crunchers while the Texans have that guy from Kentucky who is multitasking and then Bob has his buddy from high school giving him advice. Seems about right.
And Denver seems to be the only one with the geek in the booth helping on game day. Yeah, we are middlish and BOB is not a believer, heard something of this analytics question to him and the gist was they use it but trust their instincts more. Facts are facts. I used data to make big decisions and change peoples minds when they thought they had facts. Notice the younger coaches embrace this approach more than the old guard.

But who would you choose as HC? Romeo isn't that guy anymore. Damn sure won't be the OC, he sucks lol.

Don't have any suggestions. There are posters here who stay informed about these things, maybe a few suggestions will be forthcoming.

Probably be easier to find an up and coming young'un to promote to OC, if Gaine wants to force the issue.

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/greg-lewis

Pretty good resume'. Andy Reid must like him.

:coffee:

I wasn't suggesting it. I was just thinking I could see McNair "getting involved" and deciding to go get Chucky like he should have done (in his own mind) years ago. We're probably just one great coach away right?

That would piss me off to a whole new level. Idk how I'd react if that ever happened.

Gaine interview with Ed Werder

You guys had been in several one-score games before finally breaking through last week against the Colts:

Gaine: We just weren't finishing games. 3-4 plays in one game can be the deciding factor. We weren't finishing drives. And a lot of that points back to the red zone. At one point, we were fifth in the league in red zone attempts, but near the bottom in terms of turning those into touchdowns, so we were getting at bats to win the game and then weren't finishing. We were a lot better at that in Indy.

What's it like to finally see J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney on the field together?

Gaine: They are playing a lot of major snaps, but the way we look at it, those guys are players that our opponents have to account for. Very active and they play off each other and are very disruptive. They play hard and chase the football. Both of these guys are very good in the running game. That doesn't get the wow factor or the attention, but they are two-way players That's a very big part of it and we want to win on the early downs and position ourselves to get after the passer on third downs. We also have Whitney Mercilus. We feel like the front seven is a strength of ours. We have three guys who are contributing members to that rush.

How big of a priority is controlling Zeke Elliott?

Gaine: First and foremost, we have tons of respect for him. He's a top five back in the league, arguably. One of the better running backs in the NFL. He's that multi-dimensional player. He's a three-down back who can rush inside, outside, play with power and can threaten the perimeter. He has enough speed to create chunk plays, and he doesn't get enough credit in the passing game. Every down, you have to account for him. You may not stop him, but you make an effort to control him. It takes 11 guys to slow down Zeke Elliott.

DeShaun Watson has been sacked 17 times. With the Cowboys being so good in that area, how much of a concern is that for you?

Gaine: I think any team that plays the Cowboys would be concerned with that. We know we have to improve. When you think about their team, the front seven is a handful. They have height and length at corner and can stress the QB and stress the pocket. There are talented blue chip players in that front seven. They are athletic at linebacker, they can really move and run and cover. We have our hands full this week and have to play our best. We're going to work hard to shore up our protection. I thought it got better last week despite the numbers. It's something we're aware of. We're going to have to help the quarterback in that capacity.

Watson had huge expectations after that remarkable seven-game stretch before his ACL injury last season. How has he responded to that?

Gaine: One thing I would want to point to is this is his second season, for all intents and purposes. He has not played a full 16 game season yet. It takes a lot of time to rebound from such an injury. If you ever were going to point to somebody on how to handle your recovery and rehab phase of an injury, it would be DeShaun Watson. If young players want to learn how to get back on the field, just watch what he did.

He's still a young player with a lot of upside. He has the physical arm strength, the mobility and the athleticism, but he has some of the in between stuff that people may not see, stuff like poise, presence and leadership, both vocal and by example. The way he is around his teammates, there's a general calmness that the players trust that this guy can make a play for them when the time comes. And if you watched the end of the Indy game, when he had to make a critical throw, that's the quarterback he can be.

You have one of the most explosive offenses in the league. How strong do you think this receiving group is?

Gaine: It's what I would call a quarterback friendly receiving group. That was a point of emphasis Put as many weapons around our young quarterback to help him achieve his production. And for us when we got here, DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller were already here, they complement each other. We then looked for an inside passing game and we liked Keke Coutee in the draft. We also drafted two young tight ends. We have a young group of receivers. Hopkins is right now in the prime of his career and we feel like the future is bright.

(Mosley makes joke about the Cowboys having a "quarterback unfriendly receiving group." Gaine doesn't respond)

What were your thoughts on Dak Prescott when he was coming out of Mississippi State?

Gaine: He was highly productive, he was a winner and he ran their offense very well. Very instinctive football player, very good with the ball in his hand, a dual-threat. He was highly regarded in that program, he could learn and process information and the intangible profile was all pluses. Now in the NFL, he poses a dual threat to the defense to extend plays outside the pocket, he has arm talent and he can make plays with this legs and get first downs with this legs. I'm not surprised he's had the level of success he's had.

Favorite memory of Bill Parcells?

Gaine: He was a great motivator, a master at messaging I remember coming off a real big win walking though the locker room and there were mouse traps hanging from the rafters. Parcells' famous quote was don't take the cheese. He wanted the guys to see the traps so when everyone was telling them how great you are, that we have another game to play this week.

You guys selected Watson two picks after Pat Mahomes went to the Chiefs. How did you evaluate those two players?

Gaine: Both of these guys are young, physically talented players at the position with a lot of upside with high ceilings and it's been fun to watch these guys develop in year two of their careers. DeShaun had to play last year, and now he's coming off the injury. Perhaps that one year that Mahomes sat on the bench and the one year in Andy Reid's program behind Smith, perhaps you're seeing the dividend of that. Both were first-round worthy players. both in the conversation for us at that time. We were exited as heck we had a chance to get DeShaun.

Both of these guys are wired right from an intangible profile. It's those leadership skills and intangibles that are harder to decipher. Both of those guys offer that profile in pluses and I see it every day in DeShaun. I'm sure KC sees it with Mahomes. It's the football character. That's the part we spend a lot of time researching. Both of these guys graded very high in that area. I'm not surprised by either's success.

https://twitter.com/dmn_cowboys/status/1047935962062315520

No way Gaine is gone after 1 year.

Frankly I thought it was unlikely OB would manage to get himself fired, but damn he's working hard at it.
Especially since his first Draft looks to have a chance to be real solid even without a first or second round pick.
I doubt that the McNairs would cut O'Brien over the 2018 season but if they were to it would mean Gaine would probably be the person
leading the process to hire a new HC and be the one to make the decision on the selection.

I gotta give Gaine his due credit. Sure the season is only about half way done, and plenty of football left to play but dang...

Reid, Ejiofor, Jordan twins, Coutee, Rankin, Trevor Daniel! All these 3rd+ round picks and they’re proving to be damn good picks. Well, Rankin is still in wait and see, but Rick Smith couldn’t have pulled this off if he were in the same situation. (No 1st and 2nd round picks.)

I nearly jizz at the “what if’s” if we had a decent head coach along with a decent offensive coordinator. Especially with Sealy running special teams, and Crennel at DC.

I gotta give Gaine his due credit. Sure the season is only about half way done, and plenty of football left to play but dang...

Reid, Ejiofor, Jordan twins, Coutee, Rankin, Trevor Daniel! All these 3rd+ round picks and they’re proving to be damn good picks. Well, Rankin is still in wait and see, but Rick Smith couldn’t have pulled this off if he were in the same situation. (No 1st and 2nd round picks.)

I nearly jizz at the “what if’s” if we had a decent head coach along with a decent offensive coordinator. Especially with Sealy running special teams, and Crennel at DC.

I'd like to see more from the rest, but these have certainly been great picks. How Reid fell to us defies logic. Coutee is a monster, however is he a lifetime soft tissue injury or a danger accepting hits like Amendola? I sure hope not, because he's learning from a similar player from TT ... Welker was a much better natural receiver than anyone wanted to realize (not just a late bloomer slot marvel). Coutee could be even better thanks to his off-the-charts explosive ability and Welker coaching (coaching, it's not just designing bad plays). Daniel is just a monster - to retire a hall of famer during camp, you must be. Sign him to a 15 year contract now.

This is the high praise I kept giving Gaine during the offseason. He made a legitimate effort to build the special teams. It seemed many/most of his lower free agents were "special teamer - and". Instead of the more natural reverse. Special teamer - and linebacker. Special teamer - and corner, etc. Hell even our backup quarterback is first on many special teams plays. What we need right now is a James Casey ... Special teamer - and FB/TE/HB.

Last edited:
Free agency may alter this dramatically but they have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Obviously BPA plays a role here too but assuming the draft was today and in no particular order I would take both LT and RT plus a corner and with the last pick choose among RB, guard, or a front 7 defender. If Gaine can have success in the early rounds next year it could go a long way toward building a SB caliber roster. Now coaching....that’s a different question.

Do you think he will pick up an offensive coordinator or HC next FA?
Offensive coordinator is probably more than likely. New Head coach? Now, that’s a stretch. Especially since it’s looking like we may be headed to the playoffs. Here’s hoping for an embarrassing blowout in the wild card round. Maybe that’ll get the ball rolling?

What a loser attitude
Come on! You actually expect us to go far in the playoffs? Look at what actual well coached teams look like this season and compare them to our team. It’s clear that O’Brien is NOT the guy for the job. I mean, jobs. (Neither HC or OC.)

Hopefully Brian Gaine can mask O’Brien’s shortcomings with more talent this next off season though.

Come on! You actually expect us to go far in the playoffs? Look at what actual well coached teams look like this season and compare them to our team. It’s clear that O’Brien is NOT the guy for the job. I mean, jobs. (Neither HC or OC.)

Hopefully Brian Gaine can mask O’Brien’s shortcomings with more talent this next off season though.

I dont expect much from them.

The talent isn't there.

I can’t wait for the next Free Agency, and the 2019 NFL Draft. I have confidence in our GM! Our 2018 draftees have been impressive. Rick who?

I'm not to the point where I'd use the word "confidence" yet. Perhaps hopefully anticipatory would be better.

I dont expect much from them.

The talent isn't there.
Did you watch MNF? Do you think OB is even close to Andy or Sean? What about Sean Payton? Frank Reich?

OB is clueless as an OC. Terrible feel for the game and an outdated system with no ability to adapt to the current times. At a minimum he needs to be forced to hire a legit OC (not just promote someone and secretly control everything).

The hyperbole is ridiculous.

Well coached. This is a term often used by folks on here that I’m now convinced most who used it have no idea what it actually can mean or entails. Like being well coached yields only positive results. You can be a well coached team and still get your ass kicked regularly...see the majority of Kubiak HC years here. You can be a well coached team and still stink on offense/defense....see the JVG led Rockets.

You guys gotta stop acting like scoring a lot of points = well coached/the team is good.

Did you watch MNF? Do you think OB is even close to Andy or Sean? What about Sean Payton? Frank Reich?

OB is clueless as an OC. Terrible feel for the game and an outdated system with no ability to adapt to the current times. At a minimum he needs to be forced to hire a legit OC (not just promote someone and secretly control everything).

So BOB has the talent the Rams/Chiefs have to work with?

BTW, I dont agree with some of BOB's conservative calls. I'm hoping that he's trying to hide some of the offenses talent deficiencies.

Maybe I missed it but did Gaine bring in C.J.Anderson to 'kick the tires'??

If so, what happened?

If not, why not?

So far, I'm encouraged by Gaine. The big negative on him is the highest priority in the offseason should have been resolving our OL issues, and in my opinion, the unit has gotten worse. He made 4 acquisitions on the OL that simply didn't help the group play better this season.

Now if I'm being honest, I'm convinced the bigger problem is the coaching of the OL group... so maybe the talent is there, the coaching just makes them look worse than they actually are.

So far, I'm encouraged by Gaine. The big negative on him is the highest priority in the offseason should have been resolving our OL issues, and in my opinion, the unit has gotten worse. He made 4 acquisitions on the OL that simply didn't help the group play better this season.

Now if I'm being honest, I'm convinced the bigger problem is the coaching of the OL group... so maybe the talent is there, the coaching just makes them look worse than they actually are.

I think coaching (biggest issue), lack of playing time together and injuries have all played a part

I think coaching is the big issue. Devlin has got to go. Then bring in an established and successful offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. That could go a long way towards getting the talent to play up to and beyond their potential.

I think coaching is the big issue. Devlin has got to go. Then bring in an established and successful offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. That could go a long way towards getting the talent to play up to and beyond their potential.

Being actually able to play together would go a long way also... Henderson was injured early game 1, Rankin missed all of pre-season and Kelemente and Fulton have missed lots of time due to injuries. Add to that OB's decision not to play starters in pre-season it's a wonder that Texans are 7-3

Early mocks for the '19 Draft indicate this will be a strong Draft for defensive players while there appears to be a dearth of talented prospects in the offensive line
which increases the liklihood that Gaine drafts a defensive player with their top pick in spite of their obvious needs in the Oline.

don't really care what the other teams did.
My question is: Will Anderson be an upgrade over Blue?
If so, why not take a look?
If not, nvr mind.

Same reason why this regime didn't take a look at AP and then they trade away a 4th rounder for DT and then can't seem to get him involved, they ignore the OL and then don't scheme for the deficiencies. In the real world it's managerial incompetence, but on Kirby it's just growing pains.

Reactions: JB
Same reason why this regime didn't take a look at AP and then they trade away a 4th rounder for DT and then can't seem to get him involved, they ignore the OL and then don't scheme for the deficiencies. In the real world it's managerial incompetence, but on Kirby it's just growing pains.

Are you even willing to give Gaine a couple of drafts to try to fix the talent issues? This isn't a SB talented team we are talking about hear.

Don't answer that. The answer is obvious.

I just want to see what Gaine can do with a first and two 2nds

don't really care what the other teams did.
My question is: Will Anderson be an upgrade over Blue?
If so, why not take a look?
If not, nvr mind.

I don't ignore simple things like a playoff contending team cut a 2017 1,000 rusher on a cheap contract w/o anyone who had better pedigree on the roster. Then 10 days later no one has signed or been rumored to have interest in CJ Anderson. Something appears to be at issue with the player. Obviously, I have no idea what and no direct access to backroom NFL circles.

Note: I am sure now that I typed that Anderson will sign with a team immediately and then go off for 150 yards and 2TDs. anyone is welcome to bump this once that has happened...Happy Thanksgiving.

Are you even willing to give Gaine a couple of drafts to try to fix the talent issues? This isn't a SB talented team we are talking about hear.

Don't answer that. The answer is obvious.

I just want to see what Gaine can do with a first and two 2nds

I'm all about giving Gaine time. & I agree, early results are promising.

But AD is a no brainer. He even lives in Houston. We extend Miller & take "upgrade RB" off the board for the next 4 years.

Ok... that's fine. No one's perfect. Not everyone thinks like me. But Blue... Anderson is right there... 3rd & 1, goal line... we could use a little help.

IMO, CJ Anderson seems to be a better RB than Blue is. However, there really seems to be something in the background that has kept other teams from signing him. Buyer be ware!

Early mocks for the '19 Draft indicate this will be a strong Draft for defensive players while there appears to be a dearth of talented prospects in the offensive line
which increases the liklihood that Gaine drafts a defensive player with their top pick in spite of their obvious needs in the Oline.
I have absolutely NO problem with Gaine going after a top defensive player if there are no worthy offensive linemen to draft. I’d rather add two good corners, and yet another good safety than just waste valuable draft picks trying to reach for a decent offensive tackle which this class more than likely will not have to offer. Hopefully we can hit on a running back cause lord knows we need a good one bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back