Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, whiffed on the topic follow thru.

I wouldn't expect any update other than for positive news. That's pretty much what they did with Quessenberry as I recall. There's legal restrictions too. It's not their call.

I truly wonder how she's doing.

Like you said if there was positive news you would think the Texans org would put that out there. Hopefully she's better, she should be through chemo/radiation.

Everybody's had family members that have had cancer. It's a scourage.

Everybody's had family members that have had cancer. It's a scourage.

New word?

But seriously, Yeah I also would like an update on how she's doing... but I don't think she'll ever get to the point RS comes back to the Texans, unless OB falls on his face this year

New word?

But seriously, Yeah I also would like an update on how she's doing... but I don't think she'll ever get to the point RS comes back to the Texans, unless OB falls on his face this year

Been drinking at the game today with austins23.

Great guy

Dyslexia is not your friend.

Reactions: JB
Crap is crap,

You could just call BOB a liar and save the words.

Problem is not everybody on the MB thinks BOB was lying.

Ricky picked the guys and BOB coached them. (His words) Now if you want to say he didn't coach them well enough that's a fair opinion. But turning Blue/Hal/Breno/Clark into above avg player is a pipe dream. IMHO

Or you have a much higher opinion of Ricky's draft history than I do. Before you respond, go back and look at his draft picks and tell me that's how you're supposed to build a winning franchise.

I think it's best if we go back to not responding to each other because we are never going to agree.

Fact is under Ricky with both Kubiak/BOB the Texans had 6-10, 2-14 (Kubiak) and 4-12 (BOB) so it was past time to get rid of his incompetent ass. Lets hope Gaine does better and move on.

The fact that BOB is here and handpicked the new GM should tell you everything you need to know about how McNair viewed what as wrong with HIS franchise.

BTW, has the Texans org put out any info on how Ricky's wife is doing?

Bet you haven't and that should tell you something too, but it wont.

How can anybody put those records on Rick. 2-14 season was mainly bad luck and piss poor coaching by Kubiak. We just come off a 12-4 season. And no one expected us to drop off the map like that.
Last season we could not overcome the massive amount of injuries to key players. Not only that Obrien exhibited some of the worst coaching in NFL history. You can't put that on Rick either.

No I haven't heard anything on Mrs. Smith.

How can anybody put those records on Rick. 2-14 season was mainly bad luck and piss poor coaching by Kubiak. We just come off a 12-4 season. And no one expected us to drop off the map like that.
Last season we could not overcome the massive amount of injuries to key players. Not only that Obrien exhibited some of the worst coaching in NFL history. You can't put that on Rick either.

No I haven't heard anything on Mrs. Smith.

The 2-14 season was ended by losing 3 of the last 4. Schaub got hurt and Smithiak had no better plan than TJ Yates. 2-14 season was predicted (or a failure season anyway) by a few after Schaub got injured. 2-14 collapse was mainly due to Kubiak's loyalty to Schaub and bad luck in a immature team.

Ob failed greatly on many levels last year, but he showed some little ability last year also. The injuries exposed the lack of depth and magnified the mistakes made by RS.
That is the reason that RS is listed on the FO Staff of the Texans. It's like he never was.

Edit: meant to type NOT listed... well he wasn't at end of last year

Last edited:
Why would they disclose any information on Rick's wife? Especially if the Smith's doesn't want them too. Why do we assume the worst around these parts? That dude is still on the payroll and has a different title now.

The 2-14 season was ended by losing 3 of the last 4. Schaub got hurt and Smithiak had no better plan than TJ Yates. 2-14 season was predicted (or a failure season anyway) by a few after Schaub got injured. 2-14 collapse was mainly due to Kubiak's loyalty to Schaub and bad luck in a immature team.

Ob failed greatly on many levels last year, but he showed some little ability last year also. The injuries exposed the lack of depth and magnified the mistakes made by RS.
That is the reason that RS is listed on the FO Staff of the Texans. It's like he never was.

Your pretty good at explaining away Ricky's incompetence, yet not even willing to have patience enough to give Gaine a full draft class.

Everybody can see where you stand. time to move on. Lets go back to not responding to each other. We are never going to agree on how the Texans org is/has been run. But one things for sure, the record doen't lie.

Your pretty good at explaining away Ricky's incompetence, yet not even willing to have patience enough to give Gaine a full draft class.

Everybody can see where you stand. time to move on. Lets go back to not responding to each other. We are never going to agree on how the Texans org is/has been run. But one things for sure, the record doen't lie.

huh?

Crap is crap,

You could just call BOB a liar and save the words.

Problem is not everybody on the MB thinks BOB was lying.

Ricky picked the guys and BOB coached them. (His words) Now if you want to say he didn't coach them well enough that's a fair opinion. But turning Blue/Hal/Breno/Clark into above avg player is a pipe dream. IMHO

Or you have a much higher opinion of Ricky's draft history than I do. Before you respond, go back and look at his draft picks and tell me that's how you're supposed to build a winning franchise.

I think it's best if we go back to not responding to each other because we are never going to agree.

Fact is under Ricky with both Kubiak/BOB the Texans had 6-10, 2-14 (Kubiak) and 4-12 (BOB) so it was past time to get rid of his incompetent ass. Lets hope Gaine does better and move on.

The fact that BOB is here and handpicked the new GM should tell you everything you need to know about how McNair viewed what as wrong with HIS franchise.

BTW, has the Texans org put out any info on how Ricky's wife is doing?

Bet you haven't and that should tell you something too, but it wont.

Again both parties are to be blamed. Not just one.

There you go being sensitive again. I am not disagreeing with you, not one bit on how this organization is ran. What I am saying is the blame should be on all parties, not just Rick Smith. And when I say all parties, I'm talking about from the top (McNair) all the way to the last man on the roster.

There you go being sensitive again. I am not disagreeing with you, not one bit on how this organization is ran. What I am saying is the blame should be on all parties, not just Rick Smith. And when I say all parties, I'm talking about from the top (McNair) all the way to the last man on the roster.

We agree that this is more of a referendum on McNair.

We are never going to agree on Ricky, so I would rather talk about something else.

No sensitivity here.

We agree that this is more of a referendum on McNair.

We are never going to agree on Ricky, so I would rather talk about something else.

No sensitivity here.

Yall brought up Smith. And if you would read I said Rick shares a lot of the blame as well. What we don't agree on is Obrien getting a pass. He should shoulder some of the blame as well. He also done things that should be considered as sabotaging.

Yall brought up Smith. And if you would read I said Rick shares a lot of the blame as well. What we don't agree on is Obrien getting a pass. He should shoulder some of the blame as well. He also done things that should be considered as sabotaging.

He got a pass for a reason. McNair knows what was causing the dysfunction in his org and acted accordingly.I mean the fact that McNair fired his grandsons godfather should tell you all you need to know, but it wont.

What would you say BOB sabotaged

Last edited:
He is just listed as Executive Vice President. Football Operations no longer listed

Damn, well I blame wiki.. they need to update their page. :)

Nonetheless, what exactly does a Executive Vice President do? Fetch McNair's dry cleaning and coffee? :) It must be nice to be a Godfather in that family..the job security is fantastic!

He got a pass for a reason. McNair knows what was causing the dysfunction in his org and acted accordingly.

What would you say BOB sabotaged

Games against the Patriots and Seahawks.

Benching of Fitzpatrick, Mallett, and Hoyer.

Keeping darn Savage know darn well he wasn't ready.

Etc etc etc.

Oh and he wasn't fully on board with the Brock signing. He most definitely sabotaged that season. He could have coached him up better than what he did. And before any of you twist this on Rick. McNair is the one that told them they better get him a QB.

Nonetheless, what exactly does a Executive Vice President do? Fetch McNair's dry cleaning and coffee? :) It must be nice to be a Godfather in that family..the job security is fantastic!

Many NFL teams have an Executive Vice President. Their duties can range from overseeing the business administration side, handling marketing and sales, technology, finance, or even football administration. VP and EVP are very common.

If you think about the McNair's business background, it could also be a CEO, COO structure. Again, very common hierarchy.

Ricky certainly cant do PR work in this city.

Maybe they will have him develop an inner city youth program or something. He should be really good at something like that since he's truly a politician at heart.

Many NFL teams have an Executive Vice President. Their duties can range from overseeing the business administration side, handling marketing and sales, technology, finance, or even football administration. VP and EVP are very common.

If you think about the McNair's business background, it could also be a CEO, COO structure. Again, very common hierarchy.

As long as he stays away from all player personnel decisions I don't care what he does. It's only fair to give Gaine full and final say so regarding all roster moves/scouting during his first year as G.M. Rick Smith has already had 11 years to get it right.

Listening to this Brian Gaine interview right now on 610 I can see why OB wanted him. They are basically the same person when it comes to philosophy.

1st time in 5 yrs the GM/HC have even been close to having the same philosophy. That could be part of the Texans orgs issues.

It really doesn't even matter if we like or dont like BOB's philosophy, he never got a full chance with a GM who had the same vision as BOB. Of course it's hard to have vision with your nose planted squarely up the owners a**.

As long as he stays away from all player personnel decisions I don't care what he does. It's only fair to give Gaine full and final say so regarding all roster moves/scouting during his first year as G.M. Rick Smith has already had 11 years to get it right.

LOL

Os says hi.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/16/h...-quarterback-quotes-interview-jaguars-culture

Back in 2013, I ran into then-Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine on the Gillette Stadium field a few hours before Miami played New England. Gaine asked me, “What do you think of Bill O’Brien?”

It wasn’t a haphazard question. Gaine had been on a couple GM interviews, and was working to prepare himself for more. That meant researching potential head-coaching candidates he felt he’d pair well with. And that background work led right him to the former Patriots offensive coordinator, who was at Penn State at the time.

“What I appreciated about him was his leadership skills, his ability to communicate clearly with players. He won, he knew what success looked like … It was his feel and understanding of how to build a program,” Gaine says now. “You’d seen him create great game plans in the [AFC East] and at Penn State. He was well-respected amongst his peers but also a great person who had a great passion for the game.

“Alignment’s big,” O’Brien says. “Brian having worked for coach [Bill] Parcells, and myself having worked for Coach [Bill] Belichick, there are a lot of differences obviously, but there’s also some things that we both believe in—the draft, what type of players we want, what type of culture we want. We’re both from the Northeast, we grew up in the business in a similar way.”

The personnel people getting players specifically for the coaches, rather than just throwing talent at them. And O’Brien saw Scott Pioli and Nick Caserio carrying out their roster building similarly for Belichick from 2007-11.

Their early moves have produced a team that’s bigger, longer and stronger based on, as Gaine puts it, “how we wanted our team to physically look,” with more athleticism at the skill spots. And again, while it’s hard to say where all of this goes, it’s easy to see how healthy this place has become. It’s not hard to see why, either.

Good read from Albert Breer of SI.com. I copied just a couple of paragraphs from the article that I found interesting.

Reactions: Max
This is starting to look like one of the best drafts so far for the Texans. Duke is looking like a first round talent, Akins looking pretty good himself, Reid getting better and better, the free agent offensive linemen have been holding their own against 1st team defenses. I’m excited for next yesr’s draft when we will have all our picks to work with.

Good job Brian Gaine.

Texans GM Brian Gaine faces many roster questions

John McClain , Houston Chronicle Aug. 24, 2018

• General manager Brian Gaine’s eight months on the job may feel like eight years based on time devoted to overhauling the Texans’ personnel department and improving the roster.

With two preseason games remaining — Saturday at the Los Angeles Rams and Thursday at home against the Dallas Cowboys — Gaine is being pulled in two directions.

He oversees the roster and works closely with coach Bill O’Brien and the pro personnel department. They’re evaluating a roster that has to be reduced from 90 to 53 after the Dallas game.

With college football beginning, Gaine also is in charge of the college scouting department.

Gaine is still a scout at heart, and he’ll be on the road as much as possible evaluating college players.

Gaine is quick to credit his department heads like director of player personnel Matt Bazirgan, director of college scouting James Liipfert and director of pro personnel Rob Kisiel. As Gaine pointed out, he couldn’t do his job without them and their staffs.

“There’s a lot of good scouting experience in all areas of player personnel,” he said.
General manager Brian Gaine’s eight months on the job may feel like eight years based on time devoted to overhauling the Texans’ personnel department and improving the roster.

With two preseason games remaining — Saturday at the Los Angeles Rams and Thursday at home against the Dallas Cowboys — Gaine is being pulled in two directions.

He oversees the roster and works closely with coach Bill O’Brien and the pro personnel department. They’re evaluating a roster that has to be reduced from 90 to 53 after the Dallas game.

With college football beginning, Gaine also is in charge of the college scouting department.

Gaine is still a scout at heart, and he’ll be on the road as much as possible evaluating college players.

Gaine is quick to credit his department heads like director of player personnel Matt Bazirgan, director of college scouting James Liipfert and director of pro personnel Rob Kisiel. As Gaine pointed out, he couldn’t do his job without them and their staffs.

“There’s a lot of good scouting experience in all areas of player personnel,” he said.

THE REST OF THE STORY

So do you think he is working on the oline? Looking at FAs, trading partners, and other teams practice squads?

Or is he going to let OB go up in flames?

Was his first move as GM to extend OB?

Why draft 2 TEs when they aren't used.

There is still that oline thing

O'Brien was given the extension and Gaine was hired simultaneously, at least thats how it was announced so I wouldn't say the extension was his first move, it was a move in the works already.

We drafted 2 TEs, because we had 1 semi viable NFL TE left on our roster after CJ retired. It was the thinnest position on the team.

O'Brien was given the extension and Gaine was hired simultaneously, at least thats how it was announced so I wouldn't say the extension was his first move, it was a move in the works already.

We drafted 2 TEs, because we had 1 semi viable NFL TE left on our roster after CJ retired. It was the thinnest position on the team.

That semi-viable option needs to be sat down in favor of the two Jordon's....Thomas and Aiken. Both of these guys have upside....enough so to be successful picks.

Gaine should be fired too

That's too early. He did a very decent job with his first draft, even though he was at a severe disadvantage. He can't just fire O'Brien without running this past the McNair's first. Now he could make the recommendation, the McNair's give it their blessing, and then executes the final order. I think this scenario will play out sooner than later.

Does Brian Gaine employ an analytics department? In todays information age the application of probability and tendency has to be embraced and utilized. I just wonder where this team stands on that. It would appear that they dont seem to care much for it if the same plays and same results keep getting called every single game. Football outsiders does a good job supplying next gen stats and i dug up this page specific to the Texans that may be worth keeping an eye on for the rest of the year. Sometimes if you slap people with tangible black and white stats it makes it harder to keep supporting the insane approach of doing the same thing expecting different results.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/nfl-stats-data-analytics-2018

I would hope that the Texans had a staff that was giving OBrien a report on the opposing team. Further data that would help him dwindle down the huge playbook into an assortment of plays that the numbers say have a higher probability of success, for both sides of the ball.

Does Brian Gaine employ an analytics department? In todays information age the application of probability and tendency has to be embraced and utilized. I just wonder where this team stands on that. It would appear that they dont seem to care much for it if the same plays and same results keep getting called every single game. Football outsiders does a good job supplying next gen stats and i dug up this page specific to the Texans that may be worth keeping an eye on for the rest of the year. Sometimes if you slap people with tangible black and white stats it makes it harder to keep supporting the insane approach of doing the same thing expecting different results.

I would hope that the Texans had a staff that was giving OBrien a report on the opposing team. Further data that would help him dwindle down the huge playbook into an assortment of plays that the numbers say have a higher probability of success, for both sides of the ball.

Analytics? BOb apparently doesn't even analyze game film running the same BS run up the middle on 1st down time and time again. I'm wondering if they analyze anything on Kirby.

I find a lot of those stats (their definition) extremely confusing.

I suspect GAINE does, but that's so far disconnected from what BoB is doing that it won't matter. The only guy with "Analytics" in his title works in Player Personnel.

I expect that BoB expects his assistants to sit down with all-22 of their opponents and looks for tendencies the old-fashioned way. While not necessarily "bad", its' not as informative as "68.9% on the road with third and <5 on their side of the 50" stats are. It wouldn't have helped him much the last two weeks either. New head coaches and backup QBs.

That semi-viable option needs to be sat down in favor of the two Jordon's....Thomas and Aiken. Both of these guys have upside....enough so to be successful picks.

One would think that OBrien would have learned how to use the TE from his time in NE.

I am at the point now where I don't expect much from OBrien. Certainly nothing new or imaginative.

Texans talent isn't as threadbare as he makes it look.

Some times a mid season change is justified. Are we there yet? Would Gaine, or Cal, consider it?

:coffee:

I suspect GAINE does, but that's so far disconnected from what BoB is doing that it won't matter. The only guy with "Analytics" in his title works in Player Personnel.

I expect that BoB expects his assistants to sit down with all-22 of their opponents and looks for tendencies the old-fashioned way. While not necessarily "bad", its' not as informative as "68.9% on the road with third and <5 on their side of the 50" stats are. It wouldn't have helped him much the last two weeks either. New head coaches and backup QBs.

That is true in terms of gameplanning, but advanced stats can also tell you who you are. What is your team good at and customize the respective alignments or plays to take advantage of those fractional 'strengths'. I like all-22 angles and watching game film as much as the next guy, but how much do you really retain? I prefer to have a portfolio with all relevant statistics and those of my opponent and then use that along with the eye test to cater the plan of attack.

I find a lot of those stats (their definition) extremely confusing.

Its true .. this particular site is taking one guys stab at providing some different stats and scenarios. Im not sure there are accepted next gen/advanced stats with their own terminology and methodology like in baseball and basketball being used in the NFL. I could be wrong, but that is where my initial post was trying to answer.

I have been advocating having a geek for game day prep, after review, and help with game management stats sitting in the sky. BOB does not seem to believe in this stuff, but the day of big data is here to identify your trends, opponents trends, and how odds of winning change based on decisions you can make. So real time and pre/post make sense to me. I even mentioned a trip to the Astros front office would open their eyes a bit, they use analytics to a tee.

I have been advocating having a geek for game day prep, after review, and help with game management stats sitting in the sky. BOB does not seem to believe in this stuff, but the day of big data is here to identify your trends, opponents trends, and how odds of winning change based on decisions you can make. So real time and pre/post make sense to me. I even mentioned a trip to the Astros front office would open their eyes a bit, they use analytics to a tee.

Guys like AJ Hinch and Darryl Morey not only embrace the stats, but go above and beyond to use that information to give their team and advantage. It's no wonder why those teams do so well.

edit: since you seem in tune with the topic do you know if the NFL has embraced it to the extent MLB and NBA have? Im sure there are some teams out there buying in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back