Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Fired

Yes but the trio is what I'm looking at. GM Caserio will select players with input from HC, Easterby will mentor and develop non-football wise and OBrien will coach. I am not saying it will make OBrien a much better HC just hoping it will.
I'm not sure OB is a better coach today than when he was hired.

I disagree. I think Gaine was drafting for measurables and stayed true to that in both '18 and '19. Draft round grades are published by talking heads and no one outside of an actual NFL war room has a clue how any particular player was rated.

Height weight speed has been obriens thing since he got here. That's why there wasn't alignment

Reactions: JB
Similar stories regarding 1st wives. You don't know that Gaine could've done better in the draft. You think he could've done better. Not a single soul will be able to answer that question for a few years, so don't play that card. It's a lame one to play. Howard, Scharping and Davenport could be all-pros for the next 10+ years. Or they could all end up like Tony Mandarich.
Yes to bolded and I've supported that with stats and opinions of others I respect. You say correctly Howard could be all pro or bust but we are discussing this and I've brought reasons why I think others would have been better including Caserio over Gaine. You are simply saying I cannot know. I have reasons I think tomorrow will arrive and you say I cannot know.

Height weight speed has been obriens thing since he got here. That's why there wasn't alignment
I disagree. Athleticism, height, weight speed. Gaine tended to draft very athletic players. Height and weight may have been factors, but athleticism was the common denominator. Oddly enough, it's something Belichick values.

Yes to bolded and I've supported that with stats and opinions of others I respect. You say correctly Howard could be all pro or bust but we are discussing this and I've brought reasons why I think others would have been better including Caserio over Gaine. You are simply saying I cannot know. I have reasons I think tomorrow will arrive and you say I cannot know.
Tomorrow will definitely arrive. You don't know that you will be here to greet it. Neither do I, for either one of us.

Thanks for discussion but I think he did mismanage team with the draft. Yes he did make some good moves but the draft is an extremely important part of GMs responsibility.

I can't judge this year's draft yet... but I am trying to make a distinction. Perhaps he hasn't made personnel decisions to make the team great, but he has managed it in a healthy way, setting it up for success if they do have a good personnel person in place: the team is young, not bereft of talent, well under the salary cap, no giant mulit-year contracts to deal with, and the team will likely have 10 draft picks next year- including probably an extra 3rd and extra 4th.

Wait, am I reading this right? Have you not read Gaines press releases? That’s all he talked about. Just freaking amazing you could make that post. Amazing, smh.

I think he leaves RAC to his own devices because of his reputation/record as a DC and BB probably gave OB a call and told him to let RAC do his own thing.

I don't remember seeing how Bill & Bill greet each other after a game. Are they still friends?

I don't remember seeing how Bill & Bill greet each other after a game. Are they still friends?

Typically OB comes up from behind Bill like this

brokeback2.jpg

I'll venture to say that we've just witnessed the end of any hopes of that happening. Bill O'Brien has not shown an inkling of the personality type that will take critiques of any kind, constructive or otherwise. If Easterby is more loyal to OB tha Cal and the Texans, we'll get more of the same 8-8, middling BS football we've been getting. Caserio will be nothing but a figurehead.
I see nothing to be excited about for the 2019 Texans on June 10, 2019. Maybe that will change between now and September. If it does, I bet it will be because of a Gaine draft pick or a FA signing he didn't make.

Hey now they've never had any 8-8 season, more like 9-7 several times, one 4-12 and 11-5. Bwhahaha you're right we will see the same mediocrity play for sure.

@jasonrmcintyre: Early word is Texans VP Jack Easterby is telling people around the NFL the Patriots are trying to block Nick Caserio AGAIN. (As @AlbertBreer said, blocked in ‘18.)

As always, things are fluid, but right now Easterby is not happy with his old club
Doesn’t surprise me. The Pats ain’t going down without a fight! I just hope in the end they can’t stop him from leaving and Caserio makes his way down here.

yeah me also and much better explanation of whom Easterby was and will be for OBrien. Extremely loyal to Belichick and same with OBrien is my read. Player development hopefully has him with evaluations of other team rosters such as Trent Williams. IMO, nothing is off board now.

This would be the change of philosophy I'm hoping happens.

yeah me also and much better explanation of whom Easterby was and will be for OBrien. Extremely loyal to Belichick and same with OBrien is my read. Player development hopefully has him with evaluations of other team rosters such as Trent Williams. IMO, nothing is off board now.

This would be the change of philosophy I'm hoping happens.

What's given you that optimism? OB appears to be a good old-fashioned control freak. I think he leaves RAC to his own devices because of his reputation/record as a DC and BB probably gave OB a call and told him to let RAC do his own thing.
One of the things I like the most about BB is that he seems to instinctively know how much to meddle with any aspect of his team, players and coaches. When a coach is growing into a DC position, BB doesn't give him the title of DC but lets him do the duties of a DC. When that coach is ready for the added pressure of the title of DC, BB gives him the title. Teflon O'Brien does the opposite. Gives the coach all of the pressure that comes with the title but not the authority that comes with it. If OB wants to be BB, let Tim Kelly game plan and call plays without the title of OC. Approve game plans, help him along the way and take responsibility for bad calls/game plans until he can game plan properly for a "multiple" offense and adapt his game plan for the flow of the game. I think what it boils down to is trust and results. BB has the resume and results that he can afford to take his time with coaches until he trusts them. The coaches see the results and trust BB to do what's best for the team.

Who says BOB hasn't already been doing this with Kelly and because of this and an improved OL/Healthy WR corps the offense wont be much better next yr?

Who says BOB hasn't already been doing this with Kelly and because of this and an improved OL/Healthy WR corps the offense wont be much better next yr?
OB has a track record and Kelly is on record stating that he has no idea who is calling plays in 2019.

Speaking of speculation with zero evidence, this is it.

Love the spin that O'Brien is as good as McDaniels. Lol.
That's inaccurate. This is the actual quote from the article.
O’Brien as good a fit for Caserio as a coach as Caserio’s college teammate, Josh McDaniels. Or maybe an even better fit​

OB has a track record and Kelly is on record stating that he has no idea who is calling plays in 2019.
Its already been clearly stated that OB will call the plays until Kelly is ready. The intent is to have that happen within one year. Kelly is highly regarded and some believe he will be an NFL HC at some point. This is a good, not bad, synergy here. Kelly is already involved with the O and play design.

Naaah, think more like this
KG_large.jpg

Easterby, O'Brien, Caserio
Didn’t realize Easterby was the Pats chaplain and character coach. What a title. He’s was excellent at that job...A Hernandez, Gronk, Robert Kraft, Brady football deflation gate, taping opponent practices. Great list of characters...but where is the football stuff? Does anyone really know or understand what a Caserio really is? Not dissing him, but really just don’t know. I think we need to get some serious other candidates lined up and in the news at least to move the needle.

Didn’t realize Easterby was the Pats chaplain and character coach. What a title. He’s was excellent at that job...A Hernandez, Gronk, Robert Kraft, Brady football deflation gate, taping opponent practices. Great list of characters...but where is the football stuff? Does anyone really know or understand what a Caserio really is? Not dissing him, but really just don’t know. I think we need to get some serious other candidates lined up and in the news at least to move the needle.

Caserio is basically GM I think

According to patdstat, they fired him because he was just a placeholder and they received the signal from caserio that now he's interested.

So if you want the pro OBrien spin, there it is

Everything Caserio has done has been behind the scenes. His role is more obscure than the Texans org chart & balance of power.

How is it so many people back him as a GM?
He’s worked for the most successful organization in the NFL for 18 years. He must have been doing something right. Whatever his role, why shouldn’t the Texans pursue someone like that? Because the Texans have been so successful w/o him?

He’s worked for the most successful organization in the NFL for 18 years. He must have been doing something right. Whatever his role, why shouldn’t the Texans pursue someone like that? Because the Texans have been so successful w/o him?

Because the belichick tree has sucked. By all means get a guy who has truly learned from him, not the team character coach or whatever

I disagree. Athleticism, height, weight speed. Gaine tended to draft very athletic players. Height and weight may have been factors, but athleticism was the common denominator. Oddly enough, it's something Belichick values.
you forgot "smart" and "hard-working". I can almost hear O'Brien's voice saying those things about everyone he's drafted. :D

So the other Candidates besides the 2 guys interviewed and Caserio are...

Will McClay - Cowboys Vice President of Player Personnel

Scott Fitterer - Seahawks Co-director of Player Personnel

Mike Borganzi - Chiefs Director of Player Personnel <--- my pick

Nick Caserio - Patriots Director of Player Personnel

Scott Pioli - former Falcons Assistant General Manager <--- I think we'll end up with this guy

Back