Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bennie Joppru

TexanFanInCC

Veteran
does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr? i really am dying to see what he has because he has been highly thought of by casserly and capers ever since b4 he was drafted. he has been having nagging groin injuries and its unfortunate. i hope he can still come in and make an impact bc i hear he is (or was) a complete TE.

I have no idea. To be honest there is a better chance he never plays again, and we can never say if he ever fully heals because we never saw him play in the NFL before the injury.

He was supposedly fully healed last year but the team didn't want him playing in games when not in football shape and didn't want to take a roster spot from a guy who could contribute. We aren't going to know anything more than that until camp starts.

What kind of tight end was he projected to be, with a 2nd round pick I am guessing he is a game changer? If anyone can let me know Id like to hear more about him

Interesting that Perry and Joppru both have the same type problem and both from Michigan.

OT but that board has a serious case of quote-itis. Every other post is a monstrous multiple quote post.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Goooo bennieee goooooo! Now we need a TE who can recieve and block. This Miller and Breuner rotation is simply just....... silly.

We can find a starter 3rd round in the draft or if we really wanna somethng special, we go for Heath Miller. He is like Bubba Franks w/ Gaffney's speed and insanely smart at exploiting the zone. He might drop to as far as 20. Get an extra 2nd round and load up on future Linemen.

We have one .......Matt Murphy

Vinny said:
Interesting that Perry and Joppru both have the same type problem and both from Michigan.

OT but that board has a serious case of quote-itis. Every other post is a monstrous multiple quote post.

I think we would need at least a third before we blame Michigan's training program, but the way it came down with the double surgeries being need is too errie.

I dont know why we even drafted him. :confused: I was like, what the hell Jason Witten is still on the board, and we draft Bennie Joppru. I thought that the best TE in the whole 2003 draft was Witten, even over Dallas Clark. But we miss out on a future pro bowl TE and give him up to the CowGirls :thumbdown

Oh yeah we passed up EJ Smith too. OMG

I've been very sympathetic to Joppru's situation, but knew nothing about
the person other than he was a talented college football player. Maybe since he came from some really small place in Minn, I thought Bennie was one of those puratanical midwestern guys who read the Bible on a daily basis and never had a drink.
But I've stumbled across a link that describes some of Bennie boys social activities in college and they didn't mention Bible study groups. Seems he got
on the coaches shi& list because he was talented but didn't apply it. Actually
he was a bar room brawler who goofed off his first few years of college.
But he redeemed himself and gained the affection and respect of his teammates - they voted him a captain.
Good link if you interested in Bennie the person:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2002/profile112902.htm

TexanFanInCC said:
does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr?

I remember asking myself this same question last offseason.

it is still 50-50. There is no way to say he is more or less likely to recover until we hit training camp.

nunusguy said:
But he redeemed himself and gained the affection and respect of his teammates - they voted him a captain.
Good link if you interested in Bennie the person:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2002/profile112902.htm
Nice find. The late great Joel Buchsbaum said good things about him apparently. Joel was not the kind to gloss over guys he didn't like.
And Joppru has not disappointed. He’s been one of the country’s most productive tight ends this fall, catching 47 passes for 499 yards and five touchdowns. Just as importantly, he is a team leader — one of the Wolverines’ best captains during Carr’s tenure at Michigan, according to the head coach. Draft expert Joel Buchsbaum rates the 6-foot-4, 245-pound Joppru as one of the Big Ten’s best tight ends, and said in the most recent issue of Pro Football Weekly that the redshirt senior has “grown up and improved more than anyone on his Michigan team.”

TexanFanInCC said:
does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! BJ is a huge draft bust! On the payroll for TWO years and hasn't played ONE stinkin down in the NFL! Even if he gets a little playing time, doubtful he will be a starter. He was NEVER the calibur draft pick like Dante or Andre, so doubtful he would be able to make the impact those two players made their first year.

SheTexan said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! BJ is a huge draft bust! On the payroll for TWO years and hasn't played ONE stinkin down in the NFL! Even if he gets a little playing time, doubtful he will be a starter. He was NEVER the calibur draft pick like Dante or Andre, so doubtful he would be able to make the impact those two players made their first year.

No offense, but how can you people critisize the guy? He is injured. If you have ever played sports, then you would know that sometimes an injury occurs even when in awesome shape. I gaurantee he is not sitting at home saying "I hope I stay injured so I don't get to prove myself!"

Not everyone is Dunta or Dre. If he comes back healthy, let him try to prove himself before you kick the guy when he's down.

By the way, if you didn't know, not every star in the NFL started their careers out the way these two talented young men have, some people just have to work a little harder to get to that next level.

SheTexan said:

Says the Billy Miller for President fan club. Joppru wasn't drafted in the top 10 of the draft either so why even compare him to DUNTA or AJ?

BuffSoldier said:
Its spelled Dunta :cool:

Picky,pickie,pick-ey, ????? who cares!! If I corrected all the misspelled names and words I see on this board I would be sitting at my pc for hours just playing English teacher!!

As for being "president of the Billy Miller fan club," he hasn't necessarily been given the chance to "prove himself" either the past two years! Prove to me that BJ is a better TE than Billy Miller, or Bruener! You can't!!

The question I answered was if anyone thought BJ would make a signficant contribution to the TEXANS next year. I don't believe I criticized him at all. How can someone make a "SIGNIFICANT" contribution when they have been injured for two years, and has never played a down in the NFL? If someone comes along that is a better player than Billy Miller, then I say, replace him! BJ is NOT that guy! JMHO!!!!!!

SheTexan said:
Picky,pickie,pick-ey, ????? who cares!! If I corrected all the misspelled names and words I see on this board I would be sitting at my pc for hours just playing English teacher!!

As for being "president of the Billy Miller fan club," he hasn't necessarily been given the chance to "prove himself" either the past two years! Prove to me that BJ is a better TE than Billy Miller, or Bruener! You can't!!

The question I answered was if anyone thought BJ would make a signficant contribution to the TEXANS next year. I don't believe I criticized him at all. How can someone make a "SIGNIFICANT" contribution when they have been injured for two years, and has never played a down in the NFL? If someone comes along that is a better player than Billy Miller, then I say, replace him! BJ is NOT that guy! JMHO!!!!!!

You right we under cap as it is and STUPID ****** Dom capers gonna trade my boy Sharper to get a good free agent right now-----------or a better OFL we dont need a TE we already got Miller

cOWboy H8r said:
:wacko: We drafted Joppru above another TE that was in the ProBowl this year.We should have drafted Witten who was ranked higher than Joppru in the 03' Draft. That was the year the Texans coaching staff coached the north in the SeniorBowl, and the liked Joppru's work ethic. Maybe he will play this year and show everyone why he was drafted before Witten.

Unless someone invented a glass ball a few years back, just exactly how do ya'll expect them to know they should have drafted Witten. The draft is like gambling, you win some you lose some, Texans lost that one..... bottom line.

cOWboy H8r said:
:thumbup I agree we lost one, but like I said Witten was ranked higher than Joppru.

Not on the texans board...Remember that each team has its own board and rankings weighted to its specific schemes likes and dislikes.

AndreJ said:
Unless someone invented a glass ball a few years back, just exactly how do ya'll expect them to know they should have drafted Witten. The draft is like gambling, you win some you lose some, Texans lost that one..... bottom line.

I agree with you for the most part, but sometimes the Texans make some cray draft selections. I was looking into my chrystal ball a few years ago in the first Texans draft and I KNEW then and we ALL know it now, that Clinton Portis would have been a much better addition to the Texans than Chester Pitts.

uga_iv said:
I agree with you for the most part, but sometimes the Texans make some cray draft selections. I was looking into my chrystal ball a few years ago in the first Texans draft and I KNEW then and we ALL know it now, that Clinton Portis would have been a much better addition to the Texans than Chester Pitts.

Really? Would he have been a terrific addition that changed what has happened? Try checking out his stats last year with the skins vs. DD's here. Then try looking at which side of the line DD got his stats on. Doesn't matter how talented they are--RB's run behind Olines.

Is this thread about who we should have selected? Becuase I thought it was about how we felt Bennie was going to perform this year.

I dont think we are going to get any answers on how the Texans feel about him until April 24th. But for know, I dont think the Texans would have held on to him this long, unless they felt he would eventually contribute.

uga_iv said:

IMO... wrong place wrong time. Then .. we needed some linemen instead of a back that would we beat up behind our line. .. if that draft would be held this year and we had a chance to pick Portis in 2nd round.. Casserly would be all over it. Or atleast I hope he would

As far as Benny goes.. I hope he is healthy and if he is healthy, I am thinking he will make a contribution..(if he is as good as advertised) ... We need a player that can block AND catch... the players we have now, can't
unfortuantly

infantrycak said:
Really? Would he have been a terrific addition that changed what has happened? Try checking out his stats last year with the skins vs. DD's here. Then try looking at which side of the line DD got his stats on. Doesn't matter how talented they are--RB's run behind Olines.

What does DD have to do with anything? Wells was our running back the first year. We picked Pitts and left Portis on the board. Then we took Wells later in the draft. Pitts was a reach. We could have drafted Portis and probably still taken Pitts with the pick we used on Wells. I think Portis was rookie of the year. Yes things probably would be different, but that isn't the point. A comment was made about the inability to judge talent until after the fact. Sometimes that is true, but sometimes it isn't.

As for Joppru, I hope he has recovered from his illness and can contribute at the level expected when he was drafted.

I hope Bennie is healthy, but let's hope he didn't just sit on the sidelines doing nothing, and he acctually learned the playbook so he can just step right in and play up to the leval we drafted him.

uga_iv said:
What does DD have to do with anything? Wells was our running back the first year. We picked Pitts and left Portis on the board. Then we took Wells later in the draft. Pitts was a reach.
Pitts wasn't a reach, and we took him because he had the talent to play Tackle in the NFL. Go back and look at that draft and you will see there were not many solid Tackles in that draft and he has played up to his draft slot. We either take the guy we like there or start some street FA. Everybody could have drafted Portis. Yeah...everybody. Not only did we pass on him the rest of the NFL passed on him (every single team but Denver). Even his college coach (Butch Davis), who not only passed on him but took another back instead (William Green). If his own coach didn't see him coming I don't know how the other 31 teams should have either.

Not much in talent at OT after the Pitts pick in 2002. No way Pitts is there later. You make a decison. You either take the guy you like or you pass...

18 50 Chester Pitts Texans G San Diego State
19 51 Clinton Portis Broncos RB Miami (FL)
20 52 Anthony Weaver Ravens DE Notre Dame
21 53 Langston Walker Raiders T California
22 54 Maurice Morris Seahawks RB Oregon
23 55 Doug Jolley Raiders TE Brigham Young
24 56 Ladell Betts Redskins RB Iowa
25 57 Jon McGraw Jets DB Kansas State
26 58 Michael Lewis Eagles DB Colorado
27 59 Sheldon Brown Eagles DB South Carolina
28 60 Anton Palepoi Seahawks DE UNLV
29 61 Ryan Denney Bills DE Brigham Young
30 62 Antwaan Randle El Steelers WR Indiana
31 63 Antonio Bryant Cowboys WR Pittsburgh
32 64 Travis Fisher Rams DB Central Florida
33 65 Deion Branch Patriots WR Louisville
3 1 66 Fred Weary Texans C Tennessee
2 67 Matt Schobel Bengals TE Texas Christian
3 68 Andre Goodman Lions DB South Carolina
4 69 Saleem Rasheed 49ers LB Alabama
5 70 Willie Offord Vikings DB South Carolina
6 71 Ben Leber Chargers LB Kansas State
7 72 Roosevelt Williams Bears DB Tuskegee
8 73 Will Witherspoon Panthers LB Georgia
9 74 Joseph Jefferson Colts DB Western Kentucky
10 75 Derek Ross Cowboys DB Ohio State
11 76 Melvin Fowler Browns C Maryland
12 77 Rocky Calmus Titans LB Oklahoma
13 78 Jeff Hatch Giants T Pennsylvania
14 79 Rashad Bauman Redskins DB Oregon
15 80 Will Overstreet Falcons DE Tennessee
16 81 Josh McCown Cardinals QB Sam Houston State
17 82 James Allen Saints LB Oregon State
18 83 Charles Hill Texans DT Maryland
19 84 Lamar Gordon Rams RB North Dakota State
20 85 Kris Richard Seahawks DB USC
21 86 Marquis Walker Buccaneers WR Michigan
22 87 Cliff Russell Redskins WR Utah
23 88 Chris Baker Jets TE Michigan State
24 89 Akin Ayodele Jaguars LB Purdue
25 90 Seth McKinney Dolphins C Texas A&M
26 91 Brian Westbrook Eagles RB Villanova
27 92 Marques Anderson Packers DB UCLA
28 93 Terrence Metcalf Bears G Mississippi
29 94 Chris Hope Steelers DB Florida State
30 95 Eric Crouch Rams WR Nebraska
31 96 Dorsett Davis Broncos DT Mississippi State
32 97 Coy Wire Bills DB Stanford
33 98 Dennis Johnson Cardinals DE Kentucky
4 1 99 Jonathan Wells Texans RB Ohio State
2 100 Dante Wesley Panthers DB Arkansas-Pine Bluff
3 101 Kevin Bentley Browns LB Northwestern
4 102 Jeff Chandler 49ers K Florida
5 103 Justin Peelle Chargers TE Oregon
6 104 Alex Brown Bears DE Florida
7 105 Brian Williams Vikings DB North Carolina State
8 106 David Thorton Colts LB North Carolina
9 107 Omar Easy Chiefs RB Penn State
10 108 David Garrard Jaguars QB East Carolina
11 109 Travis Dorsch Bengals K Purdue
12 110 Mike Echols Titans DB Wisconsin
13 111 Ben Taylor Browns LB Virginia Tech
14 112 Dave Zastudil Ravens P Ohio
15 113 Nate Dwyer Cardinals DT Kansas
16 114 Randy McMichael Dolphins TE Georgia
17 115 Tony Beckham Titans DB Wisconsin-Stout
18 116 Martin Bibla Falcons G Miami (FL)
19 117 Rohan Davey Patriots QB Louisiana State
20 118 Chris Luzar Jaguars TE Virginia
21 119 Travis Stephens Buccaneers RB Tennessee
22 120 Terreal Bierria Seahawks DB Georgia
23 121 Alan Harper Jets DT Fresno State
24 122 Darnell Sanders Browns TE Ohio State
25 123 Ron Johnson Ravens WR Minnesota
26 124 Scott Peters Eagles C Arizona State
27 125 Keyuo Craver Saints DB Nebraska
28 126 Jarvis Green Patriots DE Louisiana State
29 127 Kevin Curtis 49ers DB Texas Tech
30 128 Larry Foote Steelers LB Michigan
31 129 Jamar Martin Cowboys RB Ohio State
32 130 Travis Scott Rams G Arizona State
33 131 Sam Brandon Broncos DB UNLV
34 132 Edward Ta'amu Vikings G Utah
35 133 Rocky Boiman Titans LB Notre Dame
36 134 John Taylor Lions LB Montana State
37 135 Najeh Davenport Packers RB Miami (FL)
5 1 136 Jarrod Baxter Texans RB New Mexico
5 1 136 Jarrod Baxter Texans RB New Mexico
2 137 Randy Fasani Panthers QB Stanford
3 138 John Owens Lions TE Notre Dame
4 139 Justin Bannan Bills DT Colorado
5 140 Bobby Gray Bears DB Louisiana Tech
6 141 Andra Davis Browns LB Florida
7 142 Terry Charles Chargers WR Portland State
8 143 Scott Fujita Chiefs LB California
9 144 Herb Haygood Broncos WR Michigan State
10 145 Kyle Johnson Panthers RB Syracuse
11 146 Rocky Bernard Seahawks DE Texas A&M
12 147 Kenyon Coleman Raiders DE UCLA
13 148 Kevin McCadam Falcons DB Virginia Tech
14 149 Jason McAddley Cardinals WR Alabama
15 150 Mel Mitchell Saints DB Western Kentucky
16 151 Jake Schifino Titans WR Akron
17 152 Nick Greisen Giants LB Wisconsin
18 153 Ramone Walker Texans DB Pittsburgh
19 154 Jonathan Goodwin Jets G Michigan
20 155 Terry Jones Jr Ravens TE Alabama
21 156 Aaron Kampmann Packers DE Iowa
22 157 Jermaine Phillips Buccaneers DB Georgia
23 158 Kurt Kittner Falcons QB Illinois
24 159 Andre Lott Redskins DB Tennessee
25 160 Robert Royal Redskins TE Louisiana State
26 161 Omare Lowe Dolphins DB Washington
27 162 Freddie Milons Eagles WR Alabama
28 163 Brandon Doman 49ers QB Brigham Young
29 164 Craig Nall Packers QB Northwestern State
30 165 Bryan Knight Bears LB Pittsburgh
31 166 Verron Haynes Steelers RB Georgia
32 167 Courtland Bullard Rams LB Ohio State
33 168 Ralph Hunter Cowboys DB Virginia Union
34 169 Ryan Hannam Seahawks TE Northern Iowa
35 170 Sam Simmons Dolphins WR Northwestern
36 171 Matt Hill Seahawks T (fifth round)

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/2002.html

As for Joppru, I'm pulling for him. I don't understand the hating. I hope the poor guy is finally healthy and gets his shot. He could be a huge addition to this offense.

I agree with you Vinny. I hope BJ comes through for us although I will continue the same dialogue that without an O-line playing upto speed it won't matter. From all we know BJ was expected to be a significant part of our offense. He was a blocking TE with excellent hands. He's extemely athletic and is able to catch the ball in a crowd. What I was really excited about was his ability to make the spectacular catch. Those kinds of guys just don't come around all that often. I think we have missed him for two seasons. Bruener has been a big zero for the most part. True he is a blocker, but you have to be able to catch the ball as well at that position. Bruener has board hands. BJ looked very heavy during the evaluation time frame last year. Has he reverted back to his old self? He supposidly reinjured himself between camps. Its probably correct to say the this year's Camp will tell us a lot. If he is healthy, has not reverted back to his old self, then I think he has a 70-30 chance of making the team, because the players we have at that position just don't possess the skills to be a complete TE. The realy question if he makes the team is whether he will be durable. The injury he suffered is almost impossible to recover from. That's the gist of one of the posters who seemed to be quite medically proficient. He really predicted what would happen last year, and he was very negative towards BJ returning.

I want to see Joppru before I comment on his talent. I'm disappointed that he has been injured for 2 years, but I am hopeful that he can show us his stuff. This is effectively his rookie season. Keep that in mind when evaluating him.

I really liek the guy - and had hopes like alot of folks - but another name comes to mind when I see Benny - Bosseli. I dont think the staff will have much choice but to read the writing on the wall just like with Bosseli if Bennie doesnt do somethign this year. You cant wish a guy on the field no matter how much we want to like someone.

With too many ??? on Bennie at this point, his health and durability still big issues and no real info on him makes this a tough year to be on the roster. Honestly this being his 3rd year - with no starts, no games played - if he gets injured in camp or spring training and is unable to play again - I look for the team to waive or release him before the season and move him to the practice squad. Honestly I thought they would have pushed him to the NFLE to get some reps and experience and see if his Re-hab actually progressed, but alas - they did not.

Just like with Bosseli - sometimes a Managment choice has to be made and at this point coming into his 3rd camp - unless Benny can silence the doubters about his status as a member of the team - his durabilty and effectiveness as a football player, even the coaches will be hard pressed to defend keeping him on the roster and spending more money to Charlie and Mr. McNair. It just wouldnt make good fiscal business sense or football sense to do that with what he has shown thus far.

No way you send Joppru to NFLe. That league is just for borderline prospects and developing QB's. You don't risk any of your better talents to the injury factor.

I can sum this up best with a limerick:

There once was a player named Benny
whose groin hurt plenty

Into the lineup went Miller
The coach said you better fill'er

You can't block, Capers said dryly.

Nice limerick just in time for Patty's day. Am I the only one who thinks we could grab someone like Vincent Jackson in the third round and he will be a great TE. Jackson is 6'5" 245 and played wide out in college. Gil Brandt of NFL.com says he blocks like Hines ward which is better blocking than Antonio Gates and any Texans TE other than Bruener. He would be the perfect compliment to DD, Carr, AJ, Gaff, and whatever speedy wideout we get. (JEROME MATHIS OR MIKE BRADLEY PLZ!!)

I think a good comparison to Jackson would be Shannon Sharpe (in style...not HOF potential). Jackson is a bit larger than Sharpe was coming out of College though.

Damn Vinny you are all over it today. So do you like this kid or what? He would be the perfect pick up and due to his size and lack of top end speed he will be picked low because most people are looking at him as a Wideout, but that will likely change after his pro-day were I hear he will participate in both TE and Wideout drills. If people start looking at him a TE that could put him behind Heath Miller and the Stanford kid as the third best TE in the draft. Matt Jones is the wildcard cause who knows were he should play, but I like him as a possible project wideout or TE for us also.

Vinny said:
No way you send Joppru to NFLe. That league is just for borderline prospects and developing QB's. You don't risk any of your better talents to the injury factor.

How do we know he is a "better talent?" We have never seen him play!

SheTexan said:
How do we know he is a "better talent?" We have never seen him play!

We know what he is capable of. If you watched him in college, you would know. Just because we havent seen him on the NFL gridiron, doesnt mean we dont know what he is capable of when healthy...

I gurantee Joppru will have a pro bowl year next year...

oh wait...ticker just came in

Bennie Joppru (groin) going to miss the season...again...

Back