Bennie Joppru

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanFanInCC, Mar 12, 2005.

1. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr? i really am dying to see what he has because he has been highly thought of by casserly and capers ever since b4 he was drafted. he has been having nagging groin injuries and its unfortunate. i hope he can still come in and make an impact bc i hear he is (or was) a complete TE.

2. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

I have no idea. To be honest there is a better chance he never plays again, and we can never say if he ever fully heals because we never saw him play in the NFL before the injury.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He was supposedly fully healed last year but the team didn't want him playing in games when not in football shape and didn't want to take a roster spot from a guy who could contribute. We aren't going to know anything more than that until camp starts.

4. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

What kind of tight end was he projected to be, with a 2nd round pick I am guessing he is a game changer? If anyone can let me know Id like to hear more about him

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

6. Vinny

Interesting that Perry and Joppru both have the same type problem and both from Michigan.

OT but that board has a serious case of quote-itis. Every other post is a monstrous multiple quote post.

7. no81

no81 Rookie

We have one .......Matt Murphy

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I think we would need at least a third before we blame Michigan's training program, but the way it came down with the double surgeries being need is too errie.

9. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

Please don't draft David Baas!!! Michigan is cursed program :confused:

10. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I dont know why we even drafted him. :confused: I was like, what the hell Jason Witten is still on the board, and we draft Bennie Joppru. I thought that the best TE in the whole 2003 draft was Witten, even over Dallas Clark. But we miss out on a future pro bowl TE and give him up to the CowGirls :thumbdown

Oh yeah we passed up EJ Smith too. OMG

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I've been very sympathetic to Joppru's situation, but knew nothing about
    the person other than he was a talented college football player. Maybe since he came from some really small place in Minn, I thought Bennie was one of those puratanical midwestern guys who read the Bible on a daily basis and never had a drink.
    But I've stumbled across a link that describes some of Bennie boys social activities in college and they didn't mention Bible study groups. Seems he got
    on the coaches shi& list because he was talented but didn't apply it. Actually
    he was a bar room brawler who goofed off his first few years of college.
    But he redeemed himself and gained the affection and respect of his teammates - they voted him a captain.
    Good link if you interested in Bennie the person:
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2002/profile112902.htm

12. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Are you really Matt Murphy, or are you just an obsessed fan?

13. no81

no81 Rookie

No, I'm not...I just think there are greater needs than the TE position.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

I remember asking myself this same question last offseason.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

it is still 50-50. There is no way to say he is more or less likely to recover until we hit training camp.

16. Vinny

Nice find. The late great Joel Buchsbaum said good things about him apparently. Joel was not the kind to gloss over guys he didn't like.

17. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! BJ is a huge draft bust! On the payroll for TWO years and hasn't played ONE stinkin down in the NFL! Even if he gets a little playing time, doubtful he will be a starter. He was NEVER the calibur draft pick like Dante or Andre, so doubtful he would be able to make the impact those two players made their first year.

18. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

No offense, but how can you people critisize the guy? He is injured. If you have ever played sports, then you would know that sometimes an injury occurs even when in awesome shape. I gaurantee he is not sitting at home saying "I hope I stay injured so I don't get to prove myself!"

Not everyone is Dunta or Dre. If he comes back healthy, let him try to prove himself before you kick the guy when he's down.

By the way, if you didn't know, not every star in the NFL started their careers out the way these two talented young men have, some people just have to work a little harder to get to that next level.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Says the Billy Miller for President fan club. Joppru wasn't drafted in the top 10 of the draft either so why even compare him to DUNTA or AJ?

20. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Its spelled Dunta :cool: