Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Badboy's 2020 offseason: draft/FA/trades

Heard on 610 radio earlier today TW could be had for a 3rd surprised me but I'd do that. TW left tackle, Tunsil LG, Scharpie to RG.

I think Tunsil might demand a trade or could sit out if the Texans signed Williams. Why? He's seeking to be the highest paid LT in the NFL and i don't think he or his agent would allow him to be moved inside before he officially becomes an UFA.

I could get behind trading Tunsil for a nice return and then using his money to trade for Williams and getting him under a new contract before he ever hits the field. The Texans could probably gain an early RD2 at minimum along with another mid round pick......of course it'll never match what was given up but at no point was Tunsil ever worth what the Texans paid without him arriving with a new contract in tow.

I think Tunsil might demand a trade or could sit out if the Texans signed Williams. Why? He's seeking to be the highest paid LT in the NFL and i don't think he or his agent would allow him to be moved inside before he officially becomes an UFA.

I could get behind trading Tunsil for a nice return and then using his money to trade for Williams and getting him under a new contract before he ever hits the field. The Texans could probably gain an early RD2 at minimum along with another mid round pick......of course it'll never match what was given up but at no point was Tunsil ever worth what the Texans paid without him arriving with a new contract in tow.

I would much rather have Tunsil for 10 years than Williams for maybe 2

Can the Texans afford Tunsil for the next 5-7 seasons?

Get Williams and draft a LT in this draft or the next one.

Can the Texans not afford to keep Tunsil after what they gave up to get him? There hasn't been a LT of that quality come out since he did. Why risk a bust when you have a proven talent already?

Can the Texans afford Tunsil for the next 5-7 seasons?

Get Williams and draft a LT in this draft or the next one.

Do they have to? I'm not a contract/numbers guy, but I'm sure there are ways to make him the top for next year with the highest guaranteed for a lineman ever. Give him a huge signing bonus and after year 3 or 4 make his salary guaranteed for injury only even though the contract may be for 5 to 7. The cap will be increasing, and each year there is typically a new highest paid for any given position because the market always goes up in the NFL unless they conspire to devalue a position.

Can the Texans not afford to keep Tunsil after what they gave up to get him? There hasn't been a LT of that quality come out since he did. Why risk a bust when you have a proven talent already?

Not that it would matter but I would flip my lid if the Texans orchestrated a trade for Williams and then tried to trade Tunsil. Even though Tunsil is talented, I think teams would see the Texans as desperate again and take advantage of the situation. I just don't think Bob has the wit to be able to regain all that was given up for Tunsil.

Last edited:
Not that it would matter but I would flip my lid if the Texans orchestrated a trade for Williams and then tried to trade Tunsil. Even though Tunsil is talented, I think teams would see the Texans as desperate again and take advantage of the situation. I just don't think Bob has the wit to be able to regain all that was given up for Tunsil.

I wouldn't trade Tunsil either

With as much as the cap is going to go up in the next 5 yrs after the new CBA gets done, sure they can.

Watson will be next......then Fuller. I'm expecting Fuller to find his inner health while playing dang near a full season. Money has a funny way of putting unhealthy athletes back together pretty quickly.

Salary cap space apprx $60 million now includes what I expect Weeks to get.
Following is just an avg we can pay:

$19 Tunsil $19 TWill $19m Byron Jones; WR Robby Anderson gets Fuller's $10.162; Fairbairn and McCarron split Fulton's $7; OG Senio Kelemete $3.25 is the draft pool with no first round {Howard cap $2.2 m 2019}.

I'm putting this here as it is directly related to a reporter at combine asking CB Okudah about his sloppy play. It did lead to reporter being fired.
Sometimes you have a tendency to get kind of sloppy. How are you looking to kind of improve that?" the reporter asked. Okudah put the reporter in his place by responding, "I had zero pass interferences, zero holdings, so cut the tape on again. I think you might see something else

lengthy article. Stupid question as Okudah is very sound player but getting fired?

Edit at end of 1st half of Roughriders game just now a female reporter asked PJ Walker about sloppy play...will she be fired?

Last edited:
Salary cap space apprx $60 million now includes what I expect Weeks to get.
Following is just an avg we can pay:

$19 Tunsil $19 TWill $19m Byron Jones; WR Robby Anderson gets Fuller's $10.162; Fairbairn and McCarron split Fulton's $7; OG Senio Kelemete $3.25 is the draft pool with no first round {Howard cap $2.2 m 2019}.
Awakened last night with an uh oh you made an error so want to correct. Paying LT Tunsil the above $19 m did not take into account his 2020 cap hit now is $10.35. This would give us an additional $10.35 to use as cap space. DE Vic Beasley to play OLB? or towards extending Watson whose $4.4 + 10.35 almost $15 would be significant towards that goal.

I don’t know if Tunsil would play LG. I definitely don’t think he’s extend if we played him there because he’s considered a starting LT.
play him right tackle pay as a left tackle Like Raiders did with Trent Brown. I don't think Tunsil will have as many false starts at different spot on oline. Probably moot anyhow as he probably won't come to Houston. But man what a offensive line we would have

In other news, comp picks were released today. We currently have picks
Texans 2020 Draft Selections
  • 2nd-57th overall
  • 3rd-90th overall
  • 4th-108th overall (via Miami)
  • 4th-128th overall
  • 5th-171st overall
  • 7th-240th overall
  • 7th-248th overall
  • 7th-250th overall
Thanks I didn't expect them for a couple of more weeks. About where we all assumed. I think the extension of Fells, Martin and Mercilus underscores O'Brien's preference for veterans over younger players. I would not be surprised to see him using draft picks for trades. Another reason I thought TW could be a target.

Thanks I didn't expect them for a couple of more weeks. About where we all assumed. I think the extension of Fells, Martin and Mercilus underscores O'Brien's preference for veterans over younger players. I would not be surprised to see him using draft picks for trades. Another reason I thought TW could be a target.

If he does start trading our picks instead of drafting with them, it will be a sort of a blessing and a curse. It's like Harry said, "a man has got to know his limitations." Where is Mike Holovak when you need him? I don't think we even have a spot on the staff for a Director of Player Personnel .... we need one !

If he does start trading our picks instead of drafting with them, it will be a sort of a blessing and a curse. It's like Harry said, "a man has got to know his limitations." Where is Mike Holovak when you need him? I don't think we even have a spot on the staff for a Director of Player Personnel .... we need one !
I am still in a wait-and-see mode. Despite over paying some of our vets I think most people wanted Fells and Fairbairn back.

Last edited:
I'm to give up on the idea of the Texans getting 2 OL in this draft. What I do want is an answer at RG and I want that answer via the draft. My target is Michigan RG, Bredeson. He starts day one and makes an impact on the OL. That also means I'd be hoping he makes it to pick 57. With a push on QB's and defensive talent he could very well slide right into the Texans hands thus setting their young OL up for 4+ years of continuity.

I'm to give up on the idea of the Texans getting 2 OL in this draft. What I do want is an answer at RG and I want that answer via the draft. My target is Michigan RG, Bredeson. He starts day one and makes an impact on the OL. That also means I'd be hoping he makes it to pick 57. With a push on QB's and defensive talent he could very well slide right into the Texans hands thus setting their young OL up for 4+ years of continuity.
Not seen him on any mock first three Rounds.

Isn't he more of a run blocking Piledriver than pass blocker?

He played LT at Michigan, so his pass blocking skills shouldn't be to bad. He had a solid Combine. I would take a road grader at RG if he was an avg pass blocker. Runyan has upside and would be a cheap upgrade over Fulton.

Runyon, Jr measured 6-4 @ 306 lbs at the Combine. Bredeson is slightly bigger but higher rated than Runyon. Yes, I remember his dad but it doesn't carry enough weight for me to switch from Bredeson to Runyon. Runyon did most of his work as an OT whereas Bredeson did his work as an OG. I also feel Bredeson could play OT in a pinch since he did very well with Michigan when they called his name as a Freshman.

There are solid defensive UFA this season and the Texans could sign as many as 3 or 4 at the right price.....enough so to make the defense fairly potent again. One of the biggest ways to improve the Texans defense......get the offense in gear so the defense isn't; 1- on the field too long and 2- playing defense with the lead more often than not.

The Texans are primed in this draft to get absolute long term answers at OG, WR, and RB. It will rest on Kelly's shoulders to ensure OB never has to sniff calling plays or prepare an offensive gameplan again. What could be interesting, if Kelly suddenly turns the Texans offense into a juggernaut......how does OB handle his success?

I'd also keep an eye on Marquez Callaway, WR Tennessee. Guy could be just like another Hopkins with the right motivation. He also returns punts and does this very well. They're dumping his stock and it appears he'll be sitting there at RD7. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he's still on the board when the Texans pick. He's 6-1 @ 205 lbs with fast and soft 9 3/8" hands and a crazy catch radius. He also ran a 4.5-40 but I think his game speed is better based on the fact he's considered a vertical threat who can eat cushions up while being fast enough to be a threat in the return game......he broke multiple punts for TD's during his time as a Vol. I'd count him as a high reward type of player.

Last edited:
Vikings are releasing Xavier Rhodes
March 13, 2020, 2:42 PM EDT

Surprisingly, he made the Pro Bowl last year. Not surprisingly, he’ll now be available to make the Pro Bowl with a new team.

Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes has been released, according to Mike Tannenbaum of ESPN.com.
Rhodes was due to make $9.9 million in salary in 2020. Cutting him consumes $4.8 million in cap space, but it creates a net cap gain of $7.5 million for the cap-strapped Vikings.

One of three first-round picks by the Vikings in 2013 (the others were Sharrif Floyd and Cordarrelle Patterson), Rhodes became a cornerstone of the defense under coach Mike Zimmer, who arrived in 2014. Rhodes parlayed his performance into a long-term deal in 2017, which will be torn up with three years remaining.

Rhodes, who turns 30 in June, seemed to repeatedly find his way into Zimmer’s doghouse last year after becoming a liability at times in coverage. Given his salary, he had been an obvious target for release.

For those that follow PFF, he scored an overall grade of 46.4 last season...........I can sort of understand why Zimmer played the grim reaper.

IN 2018 Rhodes was better than most corners despite injuries of foot, ankle, groin and hammy.
Rhodes recorded 63 tackles (54 solo), six pass breakups and one forced fumble across 15 regular-season contests in 2019. He added 10 tackles (seven solo) and two pass breakups in the Vikings' two playoff games.

Discussing his 2018 year:
One injury happened, I was trying to get back on the field as fast as possible and it caused another one,” Rhodes said. “So, maybe that was a lesson learned for me to not do too much when I have an injury lingering.”
Video
Video (02:41) : Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes believes they never gave up during the season and gave it their best effort but fell short, as it clearly wasn't good enough to reach their aspirations.

TEXT SIZE

EMAIL

PRINT
MORE

A year after being named a first-team All-Pro cornerback, Xavier Rhodes had a career-low seven pass deflections in 14 games for the Vikings this season.
Rhodes’ health appeared to be a big reason why. He began (Week 1) and ended (Week 17) the season listed questionable to play for the Vikings while dealing with foot, hamstring and groin injuries. He was deemed questionable five times and missed two games, including Sunday’s season-ending loss to the Bears.
“You can’t control injuries in this game. You just can’t. I tried this season to do the most, but it happens,” Rhodes said Monday. “I’ve just got to be better at maintaining my composure, not doing too much. Maybe I was overdoing it, overworking my body this year.”
Rhodes still played the second-most snaps (769) in the Vikings secondary despite being on the injury report more than any defensive back not on I.R.
Rhodes has built a reputation for missing a play or series in games due to nicks and bruises. Head coach Mike Zimmer downplayed Rhodes’ injuries this season, but Rhodes had a different story.
“One injury happened, I was trying to get back on the field as fast as possible and it caused another one,” Rhodes said. “So, maybe that was a lesson learned for me to not do too much when I have an injury lingering.”

Before kickoff on Sunday, Rhodes went through a roughly 20-minute pregame test on his injured groin. He ultimately decided he didn’t want to be a liability for the defense.
“It was just one of those things where I felt it was a 50-50 chance,” Rhodes said. “I’ve been fighting injuries all this year. It was one of those things where I probably wasn’t going to finish the game and I didn’t want to hurt the team. It was a situation against Detroit I was covering and I ended up getting injured and he was open”
“So you didn’t want that situation to happen where it could have been an important drive and I fall down. We were being more cautious than anything. I didn’t want to hurt my team going out there and knowing I had a problem.”

It seems the cut no brainer due to his $10.5 m cap hit saving $7 million. If he gets clean bill of health, I would not be surprised to see this 6'1 218 corner get a one year deal like Roby did. Perhaps a Johnathan Joseph 2 year contract with minimal GTD. He turns 30 this June.

Washington reportedly asking second round for Twill. Mike Garafolo saying that's not attracting suiters.

I didn't expect this

and more recently Anderson is saying he dreamed that he was on the same team with Tom Brady. Dream did not reveal the team but they were playing On the same practice field. In my dreams I am usually playing with Jessica Alba, Halle Berry or Jennifer Lopez.

While I have mentioned possible trade of Hop to Washington for 1.2 and to Raiders for 1.12 & 1.19 plus OLB Crosby and RB Josh Jacobs this actual trade is appalling. My only hope is rarely do we get all components of deal until later.

Perhaps O'Brien has Robby Anderson sewn up? Maybe Hop's rib injuries late 2019 worse than we know as he did get beat up last season and did not seem to get good separation? Perhaps Hop was threatening to sit out if contract not redone as lots of $ coming to NFL with TV? Is it a move that he thinks will caution Tunsil and Watson? At first I thought the cap saving on #10 would go to Tunsil but David Johnson is eating most of that up although he can be cut in 2021. I just don't get it as it appears O'Brien getting rid of player that argued with him. As is worse than Clowney trade.

To refocus my anger at trade, I want to focus on 2.40 possibilities:

WR Jalen Reagor 5'11" 206 4.47 with explosive quickness. Good stats 2018 but poor QB play in 2019 impacted him In fact, he was known to grumble about his QB. He would be a perfect target for Watson as JR is killer when ball to him quickly.

Funny is this pick could bring 2 or more of the RBs in here so Bill could take one to dump Johnson 2021!
side note Arizona just got a second for Hayden Hurst! lol

While I have mentioned possible trade of Hop to Washington for 1.2 and to Raiders for 1.12 & 1.19 plus OLB Crosby and RB Josh Jacobs this actual trade is appalling. My only hope is rarely do we get all components of deal until later.

Perhaps O'Brien has Robby Anderson sewn up? Maybe Hop's rib injuries late 2019 worse than we know as he did get beat up last season and did not seem to get good separation? Perhaps Hop was threatening to sit out if contract not redone as lots of $ coming to NFL with TV? Is it a move that he thinks will caution Tunsil and Watson? At first I thought the cap saving on #10 would go to Tunsil but David Johnson is eating most of that up although he can be cut in 2021. I just don't get it as it appears O'Brien getting rid of player that argued with him. As is worse than Clowney trade.
We could have Jacobs and Scharping in that draft. Maybe still trade for Tunsil and gotten someone we needed instead of Warring. This sucks.

2.40 OLB Terrell Lewis hs been mocked late first.
Clemson CB AJ Terrell starter as a press DB.
We could have Jacobs and Scharping in that draft. Maybe still trade for Tunsil and gotten someone we needed instead of Warring. This sucks.
I agree that it opens a more possible scenario for trading other assets but what Bill has gotten so far is sickening. However, I'm not going to moan and groan nor am I quitting the team.. at least as of right now.:shades:

2.40 OLB Terrell Lewis hs been mocked late first.
Clemson CB AJ Terrell starter as a press DB.

I agree that it opens a more possible scenario for trading other assets but what Bill has gotten so far is sickening. However, I'm not going to moan and groan nor am I quitting the team.. at least as of right now.:shades:

I like either one of these picks.

Unless MIms is still there. He's the only WR I want at 40.

How would you feel about a draft like this

Rd 2 Gladney
Rd.2 Dugger
Rd.3 Lynch
Rd.4 Van Jefferson

I like either one of these picks.

Unless MIms is still there. He's the only WR I want at 40.

How would you feel about a draft like this

Rd 2 Gladney
Rd.2 Dugger
Rd.3 Lynch
Rd.4 Van Jefferson
I'm down with gladney but not taking a safety in the third round

So the Texans are $47 million under the cap. When are we going to see some impact FA signings? Or extensions to the few star players left? At this point, even an overpay is better than nothing.

So the Texans are $47 million under the cap. When are we going to see some impact FA signings? Or extensions to the few star players left? At this point, even an overpay is better than nothing.
I'm not sure you going to get that. I think the Roby signing moved Byron Jones off the table and Brandon scherff being tagged removed him. The only significant possibility I see would be wide receiver Robby Anderson and as I stated in one of the other threads that May be another reason Hopkins was moved if O'Brien feels he's got Anderson.

Back