Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Badboy's 2020 offseason: draft/FA/trades

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by badboy, Sep 24, 2019.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Several other sites have already started 2020 mock drafts. General information I will continue to post in my college 2019 thread. I will try to link my info but Troy Chapman at Texans Cap. Com; spotrak.com and Jason Fitzgerald at over the Cap. Com

Our current 2019 cap space approximately 21 million dollars. 2020 approximately 90 million projected. 2021 would be the beginning of any new CBA.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The draft rounds for 2020 but I will be focusing on:

2nd

3. Seattle (Clowney)

3. Ours may go for Duke Johnson if he is active 10 games

3. Comp projected

4.1 Miami

4. Ours if we lose 3rd to Browns

steelbtexan likes this.
  3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Cuts or trades from 2020 roster to increase cap space:

Nick Martin GTD 18.35 GTD with $5 signing + $7.5 2019 GTD. 2020 partially GTD but post June 1st 2020 trade brings savings of 7.5 million

Mancz 2.25

Fulton trade post June 1st $7 m savings

With need for offensive linemen perhaps a trade can be made in 2020 for these three players. Possibly a way to pick up some backups and low round picks.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Still early and difficult to project but our offense especially the oline may be working out as we all hoped. If so, our focus should be on the defense.

Joseph if he has a great year could be back on another team friendly deal although I would like to move him to a backup at most.

I don't see Robey back at all. Cannot afford to get into a bidding war on him.

Lonnie Johnson pre-draft I saw as a safety but he could be our future nickle CB.

Xavier Crawford I hope develops into our starting outside man coverage DB.

A fan of Phillip Gaines when he came out of school, I hope he develops into at least a solid backup if not a replacement in 2020 for Joseph.

Barring an extremely deep cornerback draft, I think our first pick has to be a corner.

Our two thirds I have as another corner and a safety.
    I am going to start researching possible free agents

6. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

I really enjoy this type of stuff. The article you posted was an interesting look at roster construction in relation to the salary cap. If I were to come up with who I think makes up the Texans 10 players, my list would be:
    1) Deshaun Watson: no brainer choice to get a long, lucrative extension ASAP. I would probably try and negotiate a team friendly extension with Watson and Tunsil this offseason hoping an early payday would benefit the salary cap.
    2) Deandre Hopkins: best receiver in football is locked in for 3 additional seasons after this one.
    3) Laremy Tunsil: See above re: no brainer, given what we sacrificed to get him he is going to get PAID.
    4) Nick Martin: Not one of the players I would have put on our 10 list but OBrien obviously has an affinity for Martin.
    5) Zach Fulton: Signed for 2 seasons after this one, is a glue guy on the o-line that can play all along the interior.
    6) JJ Watt: best player in team history, is reaching the final stretch of his peak but will be better than average for the remaining years of his contract and could give a discount to offset his injury years down the line.
    7) DJ Reader: along with Mercilus, a must re-sign this offseason. Is gradually becoming as dangerous against the pass as he is the run.
    8) Whitney Mercilus: more than adequate replacement for JD, I would look to sign him to big money on a short contract (2 or 3 years) given his age
    9) Bernardrick McKinney: effective run stopper and pass rusher who is signed for 3 more seasons
    10) Zach Cunningham: nice compliment to McKinney who handles more of the coverage duties

steelbtexan, Corrosion and JB like this.
  7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Dang I'm gonna miss not having a first round pick because I so enjoy all of the mock Draft stuff leading up to the Draft but atleast it won't be as bad as a couple years back when our highest pick was a third rounder.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am looking at the loss of a first round as drafting Tunsil with that pic. If we had not made the trade we would have more than likely drafted left tackle first round. I see greater than 70-30 the offensive line, wide receivers, tight ends and running backs as doing very well this season. I think the 2019 off-season gave us the launching platform . The only position we must improve is cornerback. Certainly other good picks will improve us but if we hit on that position we should be looking really good. Even more importantly we should have cap space to pick up at least one really good free agent even if we extend current players.

9. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I'm going to dabble here with some thoughts in regards to UFA. OL is still an issue and a solid veteran could really do wonders with this group.

My first priority UFA signing would be RG, Brandon Scherff- Redskins. Former RD1 pick from Iowa is a road grader who would definitely improve the run game......to the right side. I see him as an attainable FA signing considering the Redskins have to get Williams signed as well. This move could re-shape the OL into this configuration:

LT- Tunsil
    LG- Scharping
    OC- Fulton
    RG- Scherff
    RT- Howard

Folks, this would be an NFL OL with years ahead of it. Equally big move, dumping Martin's contract. However, this move can be done provided the Texans want to make Scherff the highest paid RG in the NFL. Might set them back 14M per season but his value could be worth every penny in stabilizing this unit into one of the NFL's best.

I'd also look at the following CB's......would go deeper but my iPad is about to power down.

CB- Byron Jones- Cowboys

CB- Kendall Fuller- Chiefs

CB- Trae Waynes- Vikings

Young guys coming off rookie contracts. May not be available but that could depend on those teams cap situation cone this off-season.

I'd also take a look at DE, Leonard Williams- Jets. Former RD1 pick who's done ok with the Jets but could get more upside out of him playing opposite Watt. Also, could be a reasonable addition in regards to what his market value may be.

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

How has Byron Jones looked this yr?

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

How has Byron Jones looked this yr?

Has he been better than Roby?

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Have Not Watched Jones closely, has double-digit tackles if I remember correctly but Robey is an enigma to me. One really good play Then another not close to where he's supposed to be. With this roster as is I am reluctant to go with free agents on downhill from their Peak. I was surprised and disappointed Raiders did not make a big time trade offer for Clowney. I wanted to use assets from that deal to get Jalen Ramsey. Dream big I guess

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

With Fulton's back injuries pre game, I'm concerned about his future with us.
    We already need two corners in 2020 and I could easily see us needing Center and RG. And that's if Sharpie and Howard are good at LG and RT. Sigh, I am still not 100% on Tunsil.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

This season appears to be another deep one for the 2020 draft at corner position. As Virginia's Corner Bryce Hall and my first pick in the third round went out with an apparently season-ending injury I'm very glad of this.

Here are some of the corners I am following this year but in no particular order as far as where I think they will be ranked.

LSU's Fulton and Alabama's Trevon Diggs should be gone first round but it is fun to watch them play. Others who could drop or will be in later rounds include CJ Henderson of University of Florida, Utah's Jalen Johnson, Kristian Fulton LSU( seems not to be getting the love I thought he would at least so far), Clemson's AJ Terrell, Alabama's corner Shyhiem Carter, Notre Dame's Troy Pride, Iowa's Michael Ojemudia ( have yet to watch him), Arizona senior Jace Whittaker and Central Florida's Nevelle Clarke.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Add Amik Robertson to this list.

He looks very fluid in his movements.