Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

BADBOY college players to watch 2023 draft

I use the draft network as a starting point.

This draft appears to be a weak draft. IMHO

Different positions that’s all, big one being QB. If Texans have 3rd overall one will be in play, with offers possibly too good to pass up. From that standpoint alone, this was a weak draft class (2022).
Subscribe to the Athletic. For each team insights, moves etc… well as draft info. Can’t go wrong but with fair warning, it can be addictive :koolaid:

Hopefully someone else will be Trading for our pick to land one of these. Seattle?
For comparison sake, this is what 49ers gave up to move from #12 to #3: Dolphins trading No. 3 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick (SF's comp pick for Robert Saleh hiring) and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023.

Different positions that’s all, big one being QB. If Texans have 3rd overall one will be in play, with offers possibly too good to pass up. From that standpoint alone, this was a weak draft class (2022).
Subscribe to the Athletic. For each team insights, moves etc… well as draft info. Can’t go wrong but with fair warning, it can be addictive :koolaid:
I was a member, but haven't renewed. Will do soon

For comparison sake, this is what 49ers gave up to move from #12 to #3: Dolphins trading No. 3 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick (SF's comp pick for Robert Saleh hiring) and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023.
They could load up on 1st rd picks for yrs to come.

But the thought of drafting Will Anderson might be too much to pass on. This guy is on a Myles Garrett level. IMHO

I hope several collegiate offensive linemen find a way to learn a lot, mature a lot, grow - bigger, stronger, quicker, faster, more intelligent, etc., during the season .... cause .... we got possibly 2 .... but not for long !

This one hurts: a high rank oguard. Perhaps he heals and we can get him mid draft...

Wouldn’t mind adding OLB- Will Anderson, Jr (AL) and CB- Kyle Ringo (GA) in RD1 of the 2023 NFL Draft. Might be a possibility if Watson isn’t starting this season.
This is supposed to be a really good year for linebackers both Edge and inside. How greenard does this year will be very revealing.

This is supposed to be a really good year for linebackers both Edge and inside. How greenard does this year will be very revealing.

I just saw a Mock on ESPN that wouldn’t be bad at all for the Texans.

DT- Jalen Carter (Georgia)
DE- Isaiah Foskey (Notre Dame)

Everyone should be looking very closely at DE- Andre Carter II (Army/West Point). Man is a beast at 6-7 and 265 lbs. Also, he’s from Missouri City, Texas and after a big 2021 season may have positioned himself to be the the first cadet drafted in RD1 of the Super Bowl era or since 1946 when the Black Knights had Doc Blanchard (Steelers), Glen Davis (Lions), and Tex Coulter (Cardinals) drafted in RD1.

Yes. Man I like Mayer b/c he’d be a nice addition to the TE group but having a young DE to bookend with Greenard would be really hard to pass up.
Agreed

I would probably pick Mayer, and pick LaPorta in the 2nd.

My early wish list assuming Anderson is out of the question.

Robinson
Foskey
Trade up for Ricks
LaPorta

Everyone should be looking very closely at DE- Andre Carter II (Army/West Point). Man is a beast at 6-7 and 265 lbs. Also, he’s from Missouri City, Texas and after a big 2021 season may have positioned himself to be the the first cadet drafted in RD1 of the Super Bowl era or since 1946 when the Black Knights had Doc Blanchard (Steelers), Glen Davis (Lions), and Tex Coulter (Cardinals) drafted in RD1.
65 and I pointed out Carter on May 4th. He will move up although his military commitment may cause some teams to pass on him. I think the Army would allow him to complete his NFL time before moving him into his military role.

65 and I pointed out Carter on May 4th. He will move up although his military commitment may cause some teams to pass on him. I think the Army would allow him to complete his NFL time before moving him into his military role.

If Carter is picked in RD1…..it’s probably in his favor that the Army allows him to honor his NFL contract much like Robinson (Navy) was allowed to in the NBA. Not that often for cadets to be selected in RD1 of any professional sport.

If Carter is picked in RD1…..it’s probably in his favor that the Army allows him to honor his NFL contract much like Robinson (Navy) was allowed to in the NBA. Not that often for cadets to be selected in RD1 of any professional sport.
I agree and read a article sometime ago that other players in a similar situation had been allowed to play in the NFL then complete military obligation.

A pass rushing edge to keep an eye out for next yr is Robert Beal edge Georgia. He looked really good when he got a chance last yr on Georgia's stacked DL.

Reactions: JB
I just checked out Matt Miller’s (ESPN) first 2023 NFL Draft Mock, and I could easily say that this would be a pretty exciting first round.

My only question…..not sure 5 QB’s (Stroud, Young, Levis, Hall, and Van Dyke) go between picks 5 and 10. But, if some teams gt excited about QB’s it would certainly help push some quality players to the Texans (CLE) 2nd RD1 pick.

Miller has the Texans selecting:

RD1-03: DT- Jalen Carter (6-3 @ 310 lbs - Georgia)
RD1-23: DE- Isaiah Foskey (6-5 @ 260 lbs - Notre Dame)

I’d add the following:
RD2-03: SS- Antonio Johnson (6-3 @ 200 lbs - Texas A&M)
RD3-23: LB- Brenton Cox, Jr (6-4 @ 253 lbs - Florida)

Could the Texans defensive rebuild be just about complete with the addition of these 4 players?

The Texans have added, DT- Blacklock, DE- Greenard, LB- Wallow, DT- Lopez, CB- Stingley, FS- Pitre, ILB- Harris, DT- Booker via the draft since 2020 and with the addition of Carter, Foskey, Johnson, and Cox Jr…..could this group truly make up the core of the Texans defense for a few years to come?

Yeah, I’m leaning a little heavy on defense in the 2023 NFL draft b/c they could be a bit closer to completion. Add a top flight defensive FA to this group and they could be pretty tough and young in 2023.

Last edited:

I just checked out Matt Miller’s (ESPN) first 2023 NFL Draft Mock, and I could easily say that this would be a pretty exciting first round.

My only question…..not sure 5 QB’s (Stroud, Young, Levis, Hall, and Van Dyke) go between picks 5 and 10. But, if some teams gt excited about QB’s it would certainly help push some quality players to the Texans (CLE) 2nd RD1 pick.

Miller has the Texans selecting:

RD1-03: DT- Jalen Carter (6-3 @ 310 lbs - Georgia)
RD1-23: DE- Isaiah Foskey (6-5 @ 260 lbs - Notre Dame)

I’d add the following:
RD2-03: SS- Antonio Johnson (6-3 @ 200 lbs - Texas A&M)
RD3-23: LB- Brenton Cox, Jr (6-4 @ 253 lbs - Florida)

Could the Texans defensive rebuild be just about complete with the addition of these 4 players?

The Texans have added, DT- Blacklock, DE- Greenard, LB- Wallow, DT- Lopez, CB- Stingley, FS- Pitre, ILB- Harris, DT- Booker via the draft since 2020 and with the addition of Carter, Foskey, Johnson, and Cox Jr…..could this group truly make up the core of the Texans defense for a few years to come?

Yeah, I’m leaning a little heavy on defense in the 2023 NFL draft b/c they could be a bit closer to completion. Add a top flight defensive FA to this group and they could be pretty tough and young in 2023.

As of right now, give me

1. Bijan
1. Mayer
2. Ricks
2. Beal in trade up

Find away to get me these guys and that would be a great draft. I would still be very Happy with this draft.

Rd.1 Mayer
Rd.1 Ricks
Rd.2 Beal
Rd.2 Charbonnet

Another TE I like alot is LaPorta

Last edited:
If the Texans selected DT, Carter and DE, Foskey in RD1….would anyone else want to trade back into RD1 to select LB- Noah Sewell (6-3 @ 253 lbs / Oregon)?

If the Texans selected DT, Carter and DE, Foskey in RD1….would anyone else want to trade back into RD1 to select LB- Noah Sewell (6-3 @ 253 lbs / Oregon)?
I would be good with Foskey later round one but I'm not yet as high on Jalen Carter as most. I want to see his growth without those three NFL draft picks last draft. He should step up another level as he did last year and that's what I want to see. Here is some good input on Carter:

As a comparison Gervon Dexter U of Florida projected round two: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Gervon-Dexter-DL-Florida

I am all in for Noah Sewell but have him selected with the Cleveland pick which I have higher than others.

I would be good with Foskey later round one but I'm not yet as high on Jalen Carter as most. I want to see his growth without those three NFL draft picks last draft. He should step up another level as he did last year and that's what I want to see. Here is some good input on Carter:

As a comparison Gervon Dexter U of Florida projected round two: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Gervon-Dexter-DL-Florida

I am all in for Noah Sewell but have him selected with the Cleveland pick which I have higher than others.

Maybe the Texans could cash in that #3 (projected) pick for a nice haul of picks…..why? QB’s are in this class and they’re going to be highly rated if they have good seasons. Texans could move back, but still be inside the top 10-12 while securing an additional RD2, RD3, and a 2024 RD1 as well. Top QB’s could create that type of return.

Texans could select Sewell and Foskey in RD1 while securing Dexter and Johnson in RD2. That would be a hail of a haul defensively.

I also think the Texans could make a decent move in trading (RD6) or waiting for CB- Greedy Williams / Browns. Sure, GW has had a rough go in his first 2 seasons b/c of injuries, but he did play in all 16 games last season. Maybe his injuries are behind him. Crazy thing, the Browns are screwed in regards to GW. I’d guess their financial QB fiasco has probably left them in no position to re-sign GW if he completes another full season. The Browns find their CB room pretty full going into this season and may have to come to the reality that they’ll need to cut a player or two from the group. GW becomes the likely target b/c they simply may try to get get something since he’s walking in 2023. Texans could swoop in and probably get him for a RD6 pick in 2023. It could be a steal if GW has truly put his injury history behind him. I’d also like to see what Lovie could do to get the best out of GW’s.

Maybe the Texans could cash in that #3 (projected) pick for a nice haul of picks…..why? QB’s are in this class and they’re going to be highly rated if they have good seasons. Texans could move back, but still be inside the top 10-12 while securing an additional RD2, RD3, and a 2024 RD1 as well. Top QB’s could create that type of return.

Texans could select Sewell and Foskey in RD1 while securing Dexter and Johnson in RD2. That would be a hail of a haul defensively.

I also think the Texans could make a decent move in trading (RD6) or waiting for CB- Greedy Williams / Browns. Sure, GW has had a rough go in his first 2 seasons b/c of injuries, but he did play in all 16 games last season. Maybe his injuries are behind him. Crazy thing, the Browns are screwed in regards to GW. I’d guess their financial QB fiasco has probably left them in no position to re-sign GW if he completes another full season. The Browns find their CB room pretty full going into this season and may have to come to the reality that they’ll need to cut a player or two from the group. GW becomes the likely target b/c they simply may try to get get something since he’s walking in 2023. Texans could swoop in and probably get him for a RD6 pick in 2023. It could be a steal if GW has truly put his injury history behind him. I’d also like to see what Lovie could do to get the best out of GW’s.
Funny you should mention Greedy as you know I was huge proponent of Texans selecting him. I have worked up trades including him plus Browns round 2 but was not satisfied. Could not get past his injuries + contract is up after 2022. I cannot see Texans taking any offer to buy back their round one.

Also IIRC upstream you mentioned Kelee Ringo: my two cents is I see him more as as safety than corner but again, I will watch for improvement.

Funny you should mention Greedy as you know I was huge proponent of Texans selecting him. I have worked up trades including him plus Browns round 2 but was not satisfied. Could not get past his injuries + contract is up after 2022. I cannot see Texans taking any offer to buy back their round one.

Also IIRC upstream you mentioned Kelee Ringo: my two cents is I see him more as as safety than corner but again, I will watch for improvement.

If the Browns find themselves in a sale situation before the 2022 regular season officially kicks off…..they get a RD6 pick at best b/c he’s in the last season of his contract.

If the Browns play him and can’t afford to re-sign him before the 2023 season….next team to sign him should get him on a very reasonable 2 year contract. If he finally has that LSU type of production in 2022, this might bump his value.

If Greedy could be obtained on the cheap, it might be worth the risk since he’s still a young NFL player.

If the Browns find themselves in a sale situation before the 2022 regular season officially kicks off…..they get a RD6 pick at best b/c he’s in the last season of his contract.

If the Browns play him and can’t afford to re-sign him before the 2023 season….next team to sign him should get him on a very reasonable 2 year contract. If he finally has that LSU type of production in 2022, this might bump his value.

If Greedy could be obtained on the cheap, it might be worth the risk since he’s still a young NFL player.
I agree with your take but I just don't agree that your take will happen in that even if greedy Williams has a healthy highly productive 2022 season, he will not agree to a cheap contract. That would be his time to make his money in the nfl.

I agree with your take but I just don't agree that your take will happen in that even if greedy Williams has a healthy highly productive 2022 season, he will not agree to a cheap contract. That would be his time to make his money in the nfl.

Unfortunately, Greedy may have to play on a 1 year contract (very good money) even if he has a healthy and productive 2022 season. Injuries will be hard to ignore.

A side note away from the next 2023 draft but in 2024 I would like to see Texans in first round taking bookends from Notre Dame and left tackle Joe Alt and right tackle Blake Fisher. Both are extremely good guys with size and skill sets amazing for their time on the field. Fisher is returning after a injury but did play in last season's bowl game IIRC.

Last edited:
A side note away from the next 2023 draft but in 2024 I would like to see Texans in first round taking bookends from Notre Dame and left tackle Joe Alt and right tackle Blake Fisher. Both are extremely good guys with size and skill sets amazing for their time on the field. Fisher is returning after a injury but did play in last season's bowl game IIRC.

If the RG spot is a let down this season, watch for Michigan RG, Zac Zinter. The Wolverines had the #1 OL last season and look poised to repeat this season even with the loss of their starting center and RT.

If the RG spot is a let down this season, watch for Michigan RG, Zac Zinter. The Wolverines had the #1 OL last season and look poised to repeat this season even with the loss of their starting center and RT.
Thanks.. unaware of Zinter

Edit: this report doesn’t look enticing but I will go with your opinion as you've watched him.

Last edited:
*alert not for 2023 draft but I will be watching Oklahoma transfer quarterback Caleb Williams who went to University of Southern California to follow his head coach. He is not available until 2024 but due to position and my concern over Davis Mills I will be watching him. Williams did not get much attention due to Spencer rattler but when Rattler had his meltdown Williams looked very interesting. He is also beginning to get some national attention. Lincoln Riley has not only produced Heisman Trophy winners but has gotten some of those into the NFL.

Guess who has two thumbs and far too much time on their hands today? Me!!! That's who. With no further delay....my players for the 2023 Texans roster. Sorry for the specific order:
team logo

pfn-logo-black

Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame
trade icon

Eli Ricks
CB Alabama

Isaiah Foskey
EDGE Notre Dame

Henry To'oTo'o
LB Alabama

Jalen Catalon
S Arkansas

Andrew Vorhees
OG USC

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Broderick Jones
OT Georgia

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

Dontayvion Wicks
WR Virginia

Tank Bigsby
RB Auburn

Jaylon Carlies
S Missouri

Harrison Mevis
K Missouri

Yes....there were a few trades from the projected RD1-01 pick to 3 and then to 8. Too much time on my hand.

Guess who has two thumbs and far too much time on their hands today? Me!!! That's who. With no further delay....my players for the 2023 Texans roster. Sorry for the specific order:
team logo

pfn-logo-black

Yes....there were a few trades from the projected RD1-01 pick to 3 and then to 8. Too much time on my hand.
Wrong forum/thread?

Back