Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Babin is a Master

Im tired of all this Babin is improving talk. Did anyone watch him today, his pass rush is terrible. He got pressure twice, once Byron completed a 20 yard pass still, and the other time he wiffed and missed a sack. And if you watch the tackle even cheated by letting him get a step high because everytime he rolled back to the inside. And half of the spins he stopped halfway around and just stood there with his back to the ball. He made one good open field tackle, but most of the time he is just standing around. You cant really be improving much when you dont do anything. He is very over rated.

Im tired of all this Babin is improving talk. Did anyone watch him today, his pass rush is terrible. He got pressure twice, once Byron completed a 20 yard pass still, and the other time he wiffed and missed a sack. And if you watch the tackle even cheated by letting him get a step high because everytime he rolled back to the inside. And half of the spins he stopped halfway around and just stood there with his back to the ball. He made one good open field tackle, but most of the time he is just standing around. You cant really be improving much when you dont do anything. He is very over rated.

He's a rookie making a transition from DE to OLB, it will take time. Why are you always complaing about him anyway, you know Robinson has made some rookie mistakes also, but I am pleased with both of their play this season.

RunninRaven said:
The Texans won.

Not only that, but our defense played great today. We stopped the run game, and we did get pressure on Leftwich. We played as a cohesive unit today, and as a cohesive unit, Babin played great today. I don't think we can complain about his performance. Did he miss any big plays today? No. Did he do what was asked of him? Yes. Also, every time we blitzed today, we got great pressure on the QB. We did not get beat on a blitz at all today. You can't expect Babin to get sacks with a 4-man rush. We even put a good amount of pressure with our 3-man rushes. This has absolutely been our best defensive effort all year.

We used to have Gaffney trolls when Gaff was developing too. It took a year and a half for Gaff to get his game up to the NFL level. We give up ZERO TD's and Babin is the bad guy once again for good ol George here. You are certainly our number one Babin troll though. I got to hand it to you.

Give the guy time to develop. Sheesh.

Its not the development Im talking about, I realize that and dont disagree. I may be a troll but its because of the multiple times he gives up during plays. You cant give up after trying one move on a pass rush. Watch the game and you will see that if the move doesnt work he stands up and does try a second move. That has nothing to do with changing positions or being a rookie. And how about the genius comment by the other guy "you cant expect him to get a sack on a four man rush", are you kidding me, you are telling me that DE and DT, and in our case OLB arent supposed to get sacks with out a blitz? If you are getting one on one blocking, you should be expected to beat that man at some points in the game.

Last time I checked the Jags didn't run the ball too well at Babin and that is a big part of playing defense. Babin is going to be fine. We had an outstanding day defensively.

Every week you come in here and bash him like he ran off with your wife. Give it a rest whydontcha.

didnt run too well at him? they only ran 10 times. I bash him because there is no excuse for giving up on a pash rush. and if you watched he really didnt collapse the pocket that well, and yes i do say this every week because it happens every week. call me a babin hater or whatever else but as long as i see him giving up on plays before they are over there is not going to be any respect from me, no excuse to stopping during a play with your back to the ball that many times.

georgewashington said:
call me a babin hater or whatever else but as long as i see him giving up on plays before they are over there is not going to be any respect from me, no excuse to stopping during a play with your back to the ball that many times.

It just really amazes me sometimes how impatient you and others are with rookies.

When David Carr was a rookie, look at how disappointed all of you were with him. In his third season, are you disappointed with him now?

When Jabar Gaffney was a rookie, look at how disappointed all of you were with him. In his third season, are you disappointed with him now?

georgewashington, 3 years from now, I want you to tell me how disappointed you are with Jason Babin.

Sheesh I thought Babin played a good game ...... several pressures ..... I'm beginning to smell a rat in George's weekly Babin bashing ....

:twocents:

Why everytime we win a game somebody has to ***** about something? Why look at the negatives! If babin wasnt doing good, we have a solid group of linebackers that could replace him. The coaches obviously see something in him. Please let everyone enjoy the win for at least 3 hours at least before you bring up what you didnt like about our awesome victory over the jags.

I have a feeling that even if Babin was the illegitimate love child of LT/Ray Lewis/ Mike Singletary (take that image with you when you sleep tonight) that georgy would still bash Babin. Does he need to break the single season sack record for you to stop bashing him? Or would you find a way to bash him on the "way" he got sacks? This is becoming alot like the "Fire so and so" threads.

Yes you are all correct, except that you did not respond to my main point. I said i dont like how he would give up so much on his rushes. and i agree he probably will be good in a few years, but that doesnt mean i have to like the lack of hustle i saw. he did have some good plays today, but thats no reason to stop in the middle of a spin move with your back to the QB who still has the ball.

Vinny said:
Last time I checked the Jags didn't run the ball too well at Babin and that is a big part of playing defense. Babin is going to be fine. We had an outstanding day defensively.

Every week you come in here and bash him like he ran off with your wife. Give it a rest whydontcha.

. 39 TOTAL RUSHING YARDS for the Jag's ..... Nuff said.

yeah i dont think you can call it a lack of effort when they only gained 39 rushing yards on us !!! and ya know some of the guys he's trying to spin off of our pretty big atleast he was attempting i've seen guys just stand their in a stale mate and try nothing !!! Be happy they didnt have a big day on us ,,,passing our rushing do our D and babin had to do something right !

I think georgewashington is the troll that sits 3 rows behind me in the south endzone complaining about the play calling the entire game. He has obviously never played anything other than Madden football his entire life. Too bad Bud Adams didn't take these guys with him.

ThirdEyeBC32 said:
Babin will be fine. Man I remember all the Carr haters. You have to give people time to develop.

yeah what are all those carr haters saying now "oh he's a good young QB i always knew he'd do good. :cool:

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Babin is a young guy, but you should of watched the Raider game and the Titan game. J.Babin was intense on those games. You cant just judge him on one game. Go have a look and see.

Yes go back to those games, he had one tackle against Tennessee adn three in oakland. Not to stellar. I think you have all blown his impact out of proportion.

Wong had 34 tackles and 5.5 sacks on the strong side OLB his first year here starting all 16 games. That is the same side Babin is on. It takes time, and the OLB will not get the majority of the tackles in this defense, but you need to understand that to grasp that.

We all know, atleast we should by now, that Mr. Washington is a Peek homer; and will only be happy when Peek starts in front of Babin. This is gettign rather old, tired and starting to wear realy thin.

georgewashington said:
I think you have all blown his impact out of proportion.
29 "Bash Babin" posts out of 39 total. I don't think you're the guy to hand out admonitions on proportionality.

We get it. You like Peek and wish he'd play over Babin. Can you wait until another game when the Texans don't allow a TD to bring this up again?

I keep an eye on Babin and Robertson on most plays when the defense is on the field. I've seen alot of improvement on his part, and one play in particular stands out. He forced Leftwich out of the pocket into the middle only to be sacked by Sharper. That sack wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the pressure from Babin. I guess it's all in how you wish to perceive his progress, but overall, I believe him to be a good pick. He could loose the tats though...hehe

Ever heard of containment???

Babins job is to contain. Wong has more levereage to blitz all out, Babin does not. Babin would get burned of he did a full spin move on every play. George has no clue as to what is goes into making a good LOLB. From what I saw today, and I watch Babin pretty closely, was that he is getting pretty good pressure and flushing out the QB consistantly. Teams are not running on him that is for sure, and that's half his job. The other half he is holding up very well for being a rookie in the 3-4.

Yes go back to those games, he had one tackle against Tennessee
Yes, PLEASE go back to that game and watch every play again and look at the gamebook and maybe, just maybe, you'll understand why he had just one assist against TN. Well, probably not. I broke down Babin's play against TN on another thread here somewhere...

To be a little fair to GW, I saw what I think he is refering to in the game. Babin on a couple of plays spun a 1/2 turn and stopped and SEEMED to be watching the play move away from him. Hard to say whether he was doing a contain thing or maybe taking a beather and not persuing. I suspect he was making sure that if the play came back towards him that he could make a play.

Everyone else voiced so I'll throw in my two cents.

Babin is way ahead of where we all expected him to be. He's shown flashes of greatness and I am excited. While his spin move has worked for big plays. He uses it way to often and it is worthless until he sets it up with a strong rush up the field. Remember late in the game when he got lefty to step up into sharper. That's why he's great but he needs to start with that to set up the spin and I think in other games he has. This Sunday I don't think he worked the Tackle the way he's capable of.

georgewashington said:
Yes you are all correct, except that you did not respond to my main point. I said i dont like how he would give up so much on his rushes. and i agree he probably will be good in a few years, but that doesnt mean i have to like the lack of hustle i saw. he did have some good plays today, but thats no reason to stop in the middle of a spin move with your back to the QB who still has the ball.
Enough talk on what he did not do. Remember this is a team sport. What i saw was a out standing game played by the whole defense.

To be honest I think Babin has been pretty average but I didn't expect much really from him considering it's a new position, his size, etc.

He plays smart and I like that. If the defense plays smart that's really all I care about. Stay in position, make the plays you are suppose to make and good things will happen. And that's what is happening.

Are we always going to have teams in Houston that keep us on edge until the final second of the game.lol

SESupergenius said:
Ever heard of containment???
Babins job is to contain.
Containment is part of Babin's job and he has done reasonably well in that
department. As a 3-4 OLB, another big part of his job is penetration as a pass
rusher, and I think maybe that's the focus of George's critisism ? I know its mine. Because of the huge investment the team has made in Babin, they are giving him every chance to succeed and acquire experience. But I'm sure they wouldn't continue playing him if they weren't satisfyed with both his progress and performance.
After all, we are now on the brink of being a playoff contender and the developement of any player(s) is not as important as the team winning and possibly contending for a playoff spot. Nothing is.
So I don't know if George
has a hidden agenda here or something personal - maybe Babin's fiance is his HS sweetheart.
More likely he's just argumentative. That's what we do here - argue.

I also saw Babin take a RB down from behind with one arm. I also saw Taylor not get a whole lot done before the injury because #93 was making some good tackles on him that weren't made last year.

Texans sack leaders:

Wong 3.5
Babin 2.0
Sharper 2.0
4 tied with 1.0

Babin's fine he just needs time.

edo783 said:
To be a little fair to GW, I saw what I think he is refering to in the game. Babin on a couple of plays spun a 1/2 turn and stopped and SEEMED to be watching the play move away from him. Hard to say whether he was doing a contain thing or maybe taking a beather and not persuing.

I appreciate someone finally admitting to this other than me. Everyone assumes that Im out to get him because of what i said. I stated what i saw. and i agree with the other statement that the forum is meant to be a place to argue. and i believe that many of you have overlooked the fact that i did agree that he made some good plays, including the open field tackles. My point was simply that mulitple times he stopped moving with his back to the ball, and i feel that for such a "high motor" player that this is unacceptable, and honestly there is no way you could say he was just keeping contain because he couldnt see where the play was even going. And it was also nice to see someone else say that he does spin too much without even a set up move. And isnt being able to have differences of opinions and being able to express them what makes this country so great?

georgewashington said:
And isnt being able to have differences of opinions and being able to express them what makes this country so great?
So you shouldn't mind when the others dissagree with you then right? Make your case, back it up, and hold your ground if you believe in it. To me it looks like you don't know what you are talking about, but heck, that's just my opinion.

Has Babin struggled? YES! Do I see anything that would lead me to believe he'll be an eventual bust? NO! He's not at Arrington or Lewis' level, but give the guy some slack. I don't really understand what you're seeing. Dunta has struggled at times, but I think he will be a very good player. You must have something against bad jailhouse tatoos.

chicagotexan said:
Has Babin struggled? YES! Do I see anything that would lead me to believe he'll be an eventual bust? NO! He's not at Arrington or Lewis' level, but give the guy some slack. I don't really understand what you're seeing. Dunta has struggled at times, but I think he will be a very good player. You must have something against bad jailhouse tatoos.

i like the tats makes him look vicious !!!!!

Vinny said:
To me it looks like you don't know what you are talking about, but heck, that's just my opinion.
C'mon man, George made a sincere almost wide-eyed, innocent statement about some of the things that he thinks make this country great, and you stick your finger in his eye with a catty, sarcastic response. What's that about ? Much of his analysis is well grounded and supported with reasoned
detail. Now @ 4-3, has the team become so successful that dissenting opinion about the performance of one of the players become something that
can't be tolerated ?

I will speak my mind as you speak yours. If I think you are blowing hot air and misinformation I may comment on it if I please, as you can. Wong averaged 2 tackles a game and less than half a sack a game his first year. I think he is unduly bashing Babin. I will say what I feel when I feel like it. Stating that I think you don't know what you are talking about isn't a personal attack nor is it a lack of toleration. Feel free to tell me I have no clue when it comes to my football insight. You are a click away if you please.

Stating someone doesnt know what they are talking about is a personal attack, by definition it is attacking them and their opinions. Its no different then coaches making decisions on people they like and dislike. Thats why 4th and 5th rounders can make better players than 1st rounders and the coaches still pick people over them. They see different things out of the same situations. And if it was unduly i wouldnt ahve said that he made good plays or that he would be good in the future. And its not misinformation if its factual, based on stats and observation. Its like a lesson in science. You can have two people look at the same data and see the same things but come out with different results. That doesnt make either of them right or wrong. So maybe you can get off of your soap box as the all powerful and all knowing administrator and calm down. If your opinions are so much better than mine and everyone elses then why arent you really working for the texans as a scout?

georgewashington said:
Stating someone doesnt know what they are talking about is a personal attack, by definition it is attacking them and their opinions.
Hardly. In my opinion you have little grasp of what you speak of when you comment on Babin in this manner. No attack, just an opinion. btw, 'attacking' an opinion is what you do in a debate.

georgewashington said:
Its no different then coaches making decisions on people they like and dislike.
Eh? I can't figure out that one out.

georgewashington said:
So maybe you can get off of your soap box as the all powerful and all knowing administrator and calm down.
I just post like everyone else. It would help if you would not be intimidated by the label under my name though. My opinion carries no more gravity than yours or anyone else's but you seem to think it does. I can't help that.

No grasp, correct me if im wrong, but you cant play defense with your back to the ball. Maybe I was nieve in saying that, but in my humble opinion i just thought it would be difficult to make a play or do your job if you dont know where the ball is on the field.

George we all know you hate Babin and you are IN LOVE with Antwan Peek, you don't have to post it every week. We get it. I saw Peek play once yesterday and he ran straight past Byron about 10-15 yards behind him, which is what I said about him in one of your other "I LOVE PEEK AND HATE BABIN" threads.

Back