Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Arian Foster achilles injury - Out for season

I just read that Foster set a franchise record yesterday for yards from scrimmage.

Ironic that he did that in hat could be his last game as a Texan due to a non contact injury.

Arian Foster eclipsed the 100-scrimmage yard mark during the Week 7 game at Miami.

In doing so, Foster became the franchise' all-time leader in that category with 50 games in which he's cracked 100 yards. He was tied with Andre Johnson, who accomplished that feat 49 times from 2003 to 2015.

http://m.houstontexans.com/news/art...d-record/6bf543b3-fa46-44d3-bba7-e9f30cfb033e

Last edited:
For some odd reason, Sports Center is reporting that Foster will not be operated on for several weeks. I am very surprised by this in that it is usually best to repair an acute Achilles tendon rupture within a short period of time following the injury......usually within a week.

For some odd reason, Sports Center is reporting that Foster will not be operated on for several weeks. I am very surprised by this in that it is usually best to repair an acute Achilles tendon rupture within a short period of time following the injury......usually within a week.

OB wants to play mini-Belichick and list him as doubtful for next week to keep the strategic advantage.

Otherwise they won't have an offense to review tape on.

I don't know why there is so much negativity about AF returning to the Texans. I fully expect Rick Smith to sign Foster to a 2 yr. contract extension tomorrow, with about $48M fully guaranteed. That would be par for the course with Rick Smith.
and if he (R.Smith) thinks he'll be cut after this season that move makes even more sense :)

I agree with whomever said this reeks of desperation. I think that's exactly why 3 guys who should have been in street clothes after the half were not only in uniform but playing on a slick surface in the 4th quarter. I lost a lot of respect for Obie yesterday. I was yelling at the TV - take these guys out! This was about saving his own hide and trying to make the final look respectable. He knew that they had about 0.00001% chance of actually winning that game. Why risk it? Well - when your ass is on the line I guess you do. And it blew up in his face.

As to Arian, I feel bad for the guy. He is one of the best but simply can't stay healthy. I don't see him toting the rock for this team again. And it's so frustrating when it's all non-contact stuff. Now we have the next Arian in one young Mr. Clowney. Another bust in the making because he is injury prone and already isn't the same athlete he was.

Add RB as a high need going forward along with OL, TE, WR, QB, DL, OLB, ILB and Safety. Oh and GM and HC and coordinators.

Other than that, I think we're stacked.

:trophy:

the days of RB's completing a season injury free are affected by the length of season and the emergence of 300+ DL lines that are in great shape. The old days of walt garrison earl campbell where there was maybe one 300+ on DL are history. The fact that he was still in the game at that time was not the cause of this but is bad judgement on OB part. I hope he can recover and return as he is special in his position. We are carrying 4 backs for this very reason so next man up.

the days of RB's completing a season injury free are affected by the length of season and the emergence of 300+ DL lines that are in great shape. The old days of walt garrison earl campbell where there was maybe one 300+ on DL are history. The fact that he was still in the game at that time was not the cause of this but is bad judgement on OB part. I hope he can recover and return as he is special in his position. We are carrying 4 backs for this very reason so next man up.

Losing footing and slipping in the rain to suddenly shift all of his weight onto the Achilles tendon IS the cause of this injury

12049740_923043351122659_3531163433162424807_n.jpg

JJ watt out of the wild cat..

He's the only playmaker left and using him on both sides of the ball
every play could be considered "complementary football"

What does his future in the league look like?

Would it benefit him to become a WR, less amount of contact

I hate to say it but I know of no NFL running backs that have ruptured their Achilles and come back even close to their preinjury level, if they came back at all. The Achilles rupture has been coined a death knell for skill position players. With few exceptions, WRs have followed suit . Both positions require explosiveness, speed and the ability to cut. On top of that, the RB has to play with great physicality against resistance. These are the elements typically lost after Achilles ruptures. It would be great for Arian to be one of the exceptions, but especially with his history of soft tissue injuries with their residuals constantly messing with his mechanics, I would not invest in any Arian stock if offered at this point.

And right after that comment (he's in consideration for PS):

Akeem Hunt Works Out for the Texans
Unknown.jpeg

Patrick Starr
3:38 PM
The Houston Texans have started evaluating their running back position and worked out Akeem Hunt prior to their bye week.

The Houston Texans are entering their bye week and they have started evaluating their roster and the running back position is one key position that is being looked at. The Texans worked out free agent running back Akeem Hunt on Monday to possibly make a change at the position.

Hunt is a rookie free agent from Purdue that spent time with the New York Giants this past training camp and made some noise during the preseason. Hunt during the 2015 preseason had 12 rushing attempts for 53 yards and two receptions for nine yards.

He was waived with a hamstring injury and at the time he was averaging 32.5 yards a return on nine kickoff returns.

He also spent time with the Baltimore Ravens practice squad in 2015.

At Purdue, Hunt rushed for 949 yards his senior season with six touchdowns. He made his name known during the draft process running a 4.4 and 4.36 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day. Hunt is 5-10 and 183 lbs.

BTW, if you click the title and read this article (as it was published before I corrected the spelling errors), you will be amazed how poorly these articles are proofed in order to quickly get them out.

is this a RB move or special teams move where Mumphreys is horrible..
Probably mostly special teams with a possibility of RB with backfield hands.

From his Pro Day:

Running back Akeem Hunt (5-9 3/4, 189) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 and 4.36 seconds. He had a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-2 broad jump. He did the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.11 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.71 seconds. He performed 14 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Hunt really was impressive in the positional workout, looking outstanding catching the ball coming out of the backfield. Based on this workout, Hunt will be a draft choice, most likely in the late rounds.

Some additional impressive descriptions from his college years from ROTOWORLD (I especially liked one.....""diminutive ball carrier but a gamer with home run hitting speed," writes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.J,,,likened to Darren Sproles)

Last edited:
3rd down back, I guess neither grimes, polk, or blue are capable on 3rd down, blue missed a horrible block this week too.

Hunt needs to be called up to the active roster right after the bye.........seems to have great hands out of the back field, ability to change direction on a dime, and unlike any of our present RBs can find a 2nd and 3rd gear.

Hunt needs to be called up to the active roster right after the bye.........seems to have great hands out of the back field, ability to change direction on a dime, and unlike any of our present RBs can find a 2nd and 3rd gear.
I'd have to disagree Doc. Hunt could not catch on with the Giants or Ravens 53, those teams don't have the best backfields themselves

I'm guessing those folks that bought Arian Foster "fantex stock" are probably
dumping it like Enron shareholders..

I'd have to disagree Doc. Hunt could not catch on with the Giants or Ravens 53, those teams don't have the best backfields themselves

I see where you're coming from. But when we look at our RBs, there is no speed to be found........and I would say that the Giants or Ravens would not be licking their chops to steal any of our RBs.

I see where you're coming from. But when we look at our RBs, there is no speed to be found........and I would say that the Giants or Ravens would not be licking their chops to steal any of our RBs.
Think the issue is patience and vision more so than Speed. Although Blue is a throw back to Chris "robot legs " Brown

He's been a great running back for us but seriously it's time to move on.

When I look at our RB's, there is no RB to be found.

He's been a great running back for us but seriously it's time to move on.

Yes. Time for the Foster era to end in Houston. I appreciate everything he's done, but his time here should be up. Add RB to list of draft needs for next years draft. That makes QB, OL, LB, S, RB off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot something.

Problem is at this point, Who has any confidence in their ability to draft the right players? The rb they drafted didn't even make the final cut. Another waisted draft pick and wasn't Nix a number 2. Not even on the team now. Another wasted draft pick. Who bout Clowney. Why did we draft him? Bacause he was such a great athlete. How can you waste high draft picks on players that in many cases dont even make the final cut?

Last edited by a moderator:
and ... we have no replacement

and ... Christine Michael was cut by the Cowboys for not wearing a suit and we didn't claim him

and ... he is sitting there for the taking on the Redskins practice squad

and ... the ownership, coaches and managers of the Texans are idiots

and ... we have no replacement

and ... Christine Michael was cut by the Cowboys for not wearing a suit and we didn't claim him

and ... he is sitting there for the taking on the Redskins practice squad

and ... the ownership, coaches and managers of the Texans are idiots

Ian Rapoport reported that Michael's play did not live up to expectations, rushing for 51 yards on 15 carries in his five games for Dallas........that on top of being a locker room problem got him released. Don't know that the Texans need an underachieving locker room cancer.

if we get around 15-20 in the draft what position would you guys draft? I hope they draft OL first 2 rounds to make sure we give right protection for savage since we have not seen him in the regular season. next year will be his year 3 in our system. I am really excited to see what he can do. hope he's been learning mental aspect of the game since he's been injured.

Ian Rapoport reported that Michael's play did not live up to expectations, rushing for 51 yards on 15 carries in his five games for Dallas........that on top of being a locker room problem got him released. Don't know that the Texans need an underachieving locker room cancer.
15 carries is enough to make a determination? Charles Haley was also a locker room problem and his addition won the Cowboys back to back SuperBowls.

If the Texans were to move on from Foster they need to see about trading for Thomas Rawls. He is the real deal.

Last night I was looking at the mock drafts and a lot of people have the Texans drafting Ezekiel Elliott with our first pick. Guess nobody is aware of our QB situation.

Obviously, you have not followed Michael's antics that have had a very consistent pattern. You might want to read these articles.

Christine Michael’s inconsistency proved to be his downfall with Seahawks
Originally published September 6, 2015 at 5:03 pm Updated September 7, 2015 at 11:29 am

The Seahawks on Sunday traded running back Christine Michael, a strange cocktail of talent, potential, immaturity and inconsistency. (Bettina Hansen/The Seattle Times)

Despite immense talent, Michael never caught on to all of the intricacies the Seahawks demand of their running backs, and he was traded to Dallas for a conditional seventh-round pick.

Section Sponsor

By Jayson Jenks
Seattle Times staff reporter
It was accepted as gospel — from coaches, scouts and nonpartisan evaluators — that running back Christine Michael oozed talent. He walked into a room or onto a field and his potential demanded to be seen. It was that obvious.

Former NFL scout Louis Riddick once called Michael the most gifted running back drafted in the last five years. A strength and conditioning coach who worked with both players once said Michael was just as explosive as Adrian Peterson.

And yet on Sunday the Seahawks traded Michael, a second-round pick in 2013, to the Dallas Cowboys for a conditional seventh-round pick. It’s the kind of trade teams make for players they’re about to release, and it marked an end to a frustrating and unfulfilled two years of promise.

Christine Michael file
Height: 5-10. Weight: 221

Drafted: Second round in 2013 by the Seahawks.

Traded: Seattle sent him to Dallas for a conditional seventh-round pick.

2013 season: 18 carries for 79 yards.

2014 season: 34 carries for 175 yards.

Michael touched the ball only 53 times in two seasons, but the play that defined his tenure in Seattle was a 12-yard catch last year in San Francisco — the only catch of his career.

As Michael neared the first-down marker — it was second-and-13 — he slowed up and stuttered before stepping out of bounds. Had he lowered his shoulder, had he used his powerful 221-pound body, he would have easily picked up the first down.

But as inexplicable as that decision was, it was what happened right after that cemented the play: Michael kept running into the end zone, yelling all the way, celebrating his run — and he hadn’t picked up the first down. He was immediately taken out of the game.

It was always that way with Michael, a strange cocktail of talent, potential, immaturity and inconsistency.

There was the time in Philadelphia last year when he picked up 7 yards and then tried to wave off starter Marshawn Lynch as Lynch jogged onto the field. Michael lost that battle, although safety Earl Thomas remarked with admiration, “That took balls.”

There was the time the Seahawks fumbled the snap in the red zone in Carolina last season, and Michael, the presumed ball carrier, repeatedly waved his hand in disgust, like a fan disagreeing with an official’s call.

He admitted after his rookie season that he wasn’t a “complete pro.” But the same problems that plagued him then haunted him throughout his career.

The Seahawks have to trust their running backs, and that trust plays out in many ways. Michael struggled with most of them. He fumbled in the preseason, something coach Pete Carroll and his staff won’t tolerate.

He didn’t always hit the right holes or follow the specifics of a play. Seattle running backs are asked to hit “dark creases” — designated spots in the line where a hole might not exist one second before opening the next. Lynch does that better than anyone, and fullback Derrick Coleman once said the backs who don’t do that aren’t here anymore.

Those intricacies, the finer points of the position, evaded Michael, and even his vast amount of talent couldn’t overcome his shortcomings.

“You might see the great cut one time and then not the next, and it’s the exact same scenario,” offensive-line coach Tom Cable said last year. “He comes across and makes a great blitz pickup one play and then he’s supposed to chip and then, ‘Oh, I’m going to get out for my route, and oops I forgot to chip.’ It’s just being able to put a good play together and then a good one the next time and the next time. When that becomes his habit, then he owns it. Right now he doesn’t own it.”

Or, as former Seahawks fullback Kiero Small put it last year, “Once he gets to point B, his God-given ability takes over. It’s getting from A to B with him.”

Michael never got to point B with the Seahawks, at least not with any consistency. He was the logical heir to Lynch’s throne, the next engine to power the Seahawks’ offense.

It was a whiff, perhaps the biggest of the Carroll-John Schneider era, and now the Seahawks have to look for another young running back next offseason (undrafted rookie Thomas Rawls has looked promising, but the Seahawks will need more options).

Michael gets a fresh start with the Cowboys and their top-shelf offensive line. Maybe it will work out. But he will have to solve the puzzle of his talent, the one he never resolved in Seattle.

“It’s that delicate balance between his functional football playing ability and his makeup,” said Riddick during Michael’s rookie season.

“You have to tie the two together so you have someone who isn’t just going to tease you with potential and not turn that into sustainable talent. And that’s what people were scared of with Christine.”

Cowboys' Christine Michael must change inconsistent ways

Michael spent the first two seasons of his career with the Seahawks as Marshawn Lynch’s backup. At 5-10, 221 pounds with a surprising amount of speed in the open field, he has all the capabilities of a great power runner and pass protector.

But Michael developed a reputation in Seattle that should concern Dallas fans. According to several Seahawks coaches, his issue is a lack of consistency.

"You might see the great cut one time and then not the next, and it’s the exact same scenario,” Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable said in an interview with The Seattle Times in 2014. “He comes across and makes a great blitz pickup one play and then he’s supposed to chip and then ‘Oh, I’m going to get out for my route, and oops I forgot to chip.'

"It’s just being able to put a good play together and then a good one the next time and the next time. When that becomes his habit, then he owns it. Right now he doesn’t own it.”

Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith criticized Michael during a radio interview with ESPN 710 in August, saying he could beat Robert Turbin for the No. 2 running back spot if he just remained consistent.

"I told him, talent-wise, your talent scale is higher than Turbo’s (Turbin)," Smith said. “But, dependability-wise, professional-wise, you need to learn something from him. So the frustrating part is not seeing him be what he can be as a player. So I just want to see that happened for him.

"We try to coach him the right way. Be positive with him. We tell him, 'It’s not about you proving us wrong, prove us right. You were a second-round draft pick. Prove us right, why we drafted you.'"

But Michael didn’t prove them right. He didn’t record a single carry in the preseason.

Another problem with Michael is his behavior, which traces back to his time at Texas A&M. He landed in coach Kevin Sumlin’s doghouse multiple times due to off-field antics, and it ended up hurting his draft stock, according to NFL.com. Last season, Seattle pulled Michael from their Week 10 game against San Francisco after he failed to convert an easy first down yet still ran to the end zone and celebrated. Four weeks later, Michael was pulled again after he tried (and failed) to wave off Lynch from coming on to the field.

His problems at A&M were to herald his problems in the NFL. Work ethic questions and attitude problems have followed him to date. Besides durability concerns (broken leg, ACL rupture, ankle problems and MCL strain to name some), his blocking inconsistencies repeatedly would nearly get his QB at A&M killed. He never was able to develop any receiver skills. He was repeatedly called down for dogging it, and suspended for failing to adhere to team rules, and for bad off field decisions. And if all these things were not enough red flags, then how about the fact that during the Combine, he pulled a Mallet by oversleeping and missing 2 team interviews

As a freshman, he was named Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the year, racking up 844 yards and 10 touchdowns. It seemed that he would be an absolute star, but his second season was suddenly brought to a close when he broke his leg against Texas Tech. He missed the final four games of 2010, including the Aggies' Cotton Bowl loss to LSU.

Nevertheless, he came back strong in 2011 and gained some real momentum with three consecutive 100-yard games. Again, however, this came to an abrupt end when he tore his ACL and missed the final three games of the season, including another bowl game.

Even after all this, there was reason to believe he would finally have his breakout season in 2012, but these hopes were brought crashing down as the season began.

Michael faced accusations of laziness and a bad attitude, resulting in him spending a lot of time on the bench. His blocking remained a concern, as well as his ability as a receiver. He seemed unwilling to work on these issues, and as a result, he had little momentum going into this year's combine.

The Texans neither need nor should at this point of their questionable fragile standing expose themselves to another knucklehead with potential talent but with even more potential for opening his full baggage of character issues.

If the Texans were to move on from Foster they need to see about trading for Thomas Rawls. He is the real deal.

Marshawn Lynch will end up missing at least 6 games to injury this season, and is scheduled to be paid a $9 Million base salary next season (at which time he will be 30 years old). Thomas Rawls is under contract for the league minimum thru 2017, and he's been outstanding this season (Far better than Lynch) with slightly over 100 touches. The idea that Seattle would even consider trading Rawls is kind of insane.

Marshawn Lynch will end up missing at least 6 games to injury this season, and is scheduled to be paid a $9 Million base salary next season (at which time he will be 30 years old). Thomas Rawls is under contract for the league minimum thru 2017, and he's been outstanding this season (Far better than Lynch) with slightly over 100 touches. The idea that Seattle would even consider trading Rawls is kind of insane.
It would be insane, one could hope their GM has a little bit of Casserly/Smith in them.

Last night I was looking at the mock drafts and a lot of people have the Texans drafting Ezekiel Elliott with our first pick. Guess nobody is aware of our QB situation.[/QUOT
Or maybe they realize that at about 15-20 there is no apparent QB to select and decide to go with a franchise type RB in Elliott?

Back