Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are we tanking?

LikeMike

Veteran
Serious question. We were seen as a possible superbowl contender this season and now we can`t even get a win against the other bottom feeders with QB troubles. It wasn`t always pretty at the beginning of the season, but we executed a lot better than lately (except or Bullock of course). Is this team just so disfunctional that we can`t get anything going, or did someone in the organisation decided to pull the plug after we had that really bad run and get for a high draft pick?

Right now it seems like we actually might be in the hunt for the top pick - and a real franchise player (QB if Case isn`t seen as the answer) could turn a lot of things around. We have some clear holes on this team, but we also have a lot more talent than most other teams - so did someone just decide: if we can`t get far in the playoffs this season (or even reach them), why don`t we pull a Colts move and just lose out to improve our future?

We tanking for Johnny Football when in reality he might be the biggest bust or really a 2nd round pick or a Great QB its really the roll of the dice

We tanking for Johnny Football when in reality he might be the biggest bust or really a 2nd round pick or a Great QB its really the roll of the dice

I highly doubt we`d take Manziel with a top5 pick - if at all we`d take him with the first pick of the second round.

I highly doubt we`d take Manziel with a top5 pick - if at all we`d take him with the first pick of the second round.

He will be gone by then A desperate team starved for a QB will take him he will not make it past the 13th pick

Of course not. It's easy for fans to rationalize, but the truth is we're trying our hardest to win.

"Tanking" is losing on purpose. Being bad is not "tanking."

Can we abolish this ****ing term from the sports lexicon? IF A TEAM IS BAD, THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE TANKING. Good GRIEF.

This is our chance to land a franchise QB for once. Do we have needs in other areas? Hell yeah but I think we're seeing the effects of not having a franchise caliber QB. I don't know if that guy is Manziel or McCarron or someone else. We don't know if that guy will pan out, but we must take that chance while we have it. A great QB can make a lot of other problems disappear.

tanking for a Top 5 pick where the Texans will take an O-lineman...

because it is the Texan way...

Im all for taking an OT with the first rounder ....

When you consider the quality of QB's in this draft that will likely be taken in the second & third rounds as compared to those who will go in the first , its an easy decision.

There is no clear cut franchise QB in this draft , just a bunch of guy's with a lot of potential. Why not get a great OT with the #1 and then get a McCarron , Murray or Boyd in the second / third when they have just as good a chance of being franchise guy's as do Bridgewater , Mariota or Manziel who I see as the biggest gamble in the entire draft - he's a boom or bust.

I would be all over Jake Mathews, and I hate me some Aggies. :kitten:

Taylor Lewman is the kind of guy you stick at RT and forget about the position for 10 years. He's a better version of fellow Michigan Wolverine Jake Long.

IMO the only position on the line that would constitute a top 5 pick would be LT, otherwise draft best available talent, or trade down and get more value if RT is a must. I think that one of the guys on IR can fill the position or you can get good value via free agency, need to get a more impact player from such a high selection.

Maybe I'm remedial, but maybe someone can educate me as to what exactly consitutes a 'franchise QB' .... If you have the chance to take one of the best college QB's and you have a need at the position, you take it. You will still have a great pick in the 2nd and 3rd which you must hit on as well.

This is not tanking. This is bad play compounded by even worse decision making. This is literally the most infuriating and befuddling season I have ever seen from this team. I honestly just don't know how much more dysfunctional you can get. Cuz there's dysfunctional and then there's THIS team.

Manzel is the answer. He is Case on steroids. He's better in every aspect. He's a top 5 player in the draft mock my words.

Well, since this is turning into a draft thread, I really like McCullers if we're picking outside the top 5.

Please, dear football gods, give me a nose tackle for my 3-4.

Im with rico. Top five pick is either LT, QB or elite pass rusher. We have the LT. Hmmmmmm

I wouldnt cry if the pick was clowney, I would rather a QB, but if you want to try to argue that there isnt a big dropoff from Mariota,Bridgewater and Manziel, to guys like McCaron and Taj Boyd then Im going to politely disagree, in that scenario I'd rather just ride with Keenum than waste a 2nd or 3rd on a marginal QB.

I wouldnt cry if the pick was clowney, I would rather a QB, but if you want to try to argue that there isnt a big dropoff from Mariota,Bridgewater and Manziel, to guys like McCaron and Taj Boyd then Im going to politely disagree, in that scenario I'd rather just ride with Keenum than waste a 2nd or 3rd on a marginal QB.

Screw it. Clowney then trade up

:vincepalm: if theres anything we know, its that 1st rd rbs are worthless

I can understand that sentiment. DB could be another area that could be addressed, I just so happen to think that you can find a nice RB, Tate will be gone and Foster will be coming back from spinal surgery. Kind of makes me uneasy.

Trade up for qb. Clowney and qb would do wonders for both sides of ball

If one of those 3 guys falls for whatever reason then yeah the value would be there in the late 1st, Mariota and Bridgewater will be gone by the 5th pick, I could see where Johnny Football could drop into the late 1st round, I wouldnt cry if that was the pick after drafting Clowney. Apart from those 3 guys I wouldnt take a flyer on another QB that high there is equal value with Keenum and no significant talent improvement.

If case starts next week then yeah we are tanking

If MAtt starts then it shows we are trying to win

we better not draft a rt in the top 5.....just sign a free agent

BTW if anyone actually watched matthews this season theyd realize he is TERRIBLE

no need for an artificial tank when the real deal seems to be in full effect.

So clear the coaching staff has lost this team.

We're not tanking. This is just what it looks like when a franchise falls apart.

2-14 is the likelihood. I don't think we win another game this year and I don't think a single coach survives the purge. Marciano won't even be able to get out of this one.

I bet we flip half our roster before next season. From where I'm sitting right now we have one HoF WR, Watt, Cushing, and a bunch of guys who are just guys. The cupboard is about as bare as it was when Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith walked through the door.

Cast off parts of the Houston Texans are performing well all over the NFL. If Bob McNair can't look at the sheer number of players his team has burned through and do the math after this season he'll never get it. He'll be doomed to run a bottom-feeder franchise (in the classiest possible way) for the rest of his time as an NFL owner.

We're not tanking. This is just what it looks like when a franchise falls apart.

2-14 is the likelihood. I don't think we win another game this year and I don't think a single coach survives the purge. Marciano won't even be able to get out of this one.

I bet we flip half our roster before next season. From where I'm sitting right now we have one HoF WR, Watt, Cushing, and a bunch of guys who are just guys. The cupboard is about as bare as it was when Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith walked through the door.

Cast off parts of the Houston Texans are performing well all over the NFL. If Bob McNair can't look at the sheer number of players his team has burned through and do the math after this season he'll never get it. He'll be doomed to run a bottom-feeder franchise (in the classiest possible way) for the rest of his time as an NFL owner.

I disagree. This team has play-makers all over the field, which leads me to believe it won't take too much for a new regime to get them right back in the playoffs next year.

McNair comes off as a billionaire who knows nothing about football and just has total trust and devotion to people he hired or who his yes men told him to hire.

Its a good and bad thing.

You can have an owner who knows so much about the game (al davis/jerry jones) and have too much impact on football decisions which can cause problems or you can have an owner who is totally oblivious to the game and just hires people and listen to cronies and yes men because he doesnt know anything about the game like McNair and what you get is a coaching staff with no checks and balances, no accountability like kubiak.

What you need is a even mix of both. An owner who knows something about the game and is somewhat involved but not too much.

Les Alexander comes to mind perfectly.

Jerry Jones/Al Davis on one end and McNair on the other end of the spectrum. You dont want your owner to be on extreme ends of the spectrum, you want someone in the middle.

I disagree. This team has play-makers all over the field, which leads me to believe it won't take too much for a new regime to get them right back in the playoffs next year.

Who?

Tier 1: JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Andre Johnson

Tier 2: Duane Brown, Antonio Smith and Johnathan Joseph (and he's falling fast)

That's all I can name. Everyone else is a scrub. Joe Mays, Daryl Sharpton...seriously?

Let me say right then that I'd like nothing better than to be proven wrong and for you to be right about this. I just don't see those playmakers anywhere.

Must draft a QB with the no. 1 pick. This is a chance to make a real impact on the most important position.

Back