Are we tanking?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by LikeMike, Nov 17, 2013.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

Serious question. We were seen as a possible superbowl contender this season and now we can`t even get a win against the other bottom feeders with QB troubles. It wasn`t always pretty at the beginning of the season, but we executed a lot better than lately (except or Bullock of course). Is this team just so disfunctional that we can`t get anything going, or did someone in the organisation decided to pull the plug after we had that really bad run and get for a high draft pick?

Right now it seems like we actually might be in the hunt for the top pick - and a real franchise player (QB if Case isn`t seen as the answer) could turn a lot of things around. We have some clear holes on this team, but we also have a lot more talent than most other teams - so did someone just decide: if we can`t get far in the playoffs this season (or even reach them), why don`t we pull a Colts move and just lose out to improve our future?

2. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

We tanking for Johnny Football when in reality he might be the biggest bust or really a 2nd round pick or a Great QB its really the roll of the dice

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I highly doubt we`d take Manziel with a top5 pick - if at all we`d take him with the first pick of the second round.

4. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

He will be gone by then A desperate team starved for a QB will take him he will not make it past the 13th pick

5. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Nope, we just suck.

6. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

tanking for a Top 5 pick where the Texans will take an O-lineman...

because it is the Texan way...

7. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Texan

Pretty much this. The only bright spots on the team are the WRs and DEs; maybe the starting CBs when they have a good day. The rest of the team is somewhere between mediocre and terrible.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

Of course not. It's easy for fans to rationalize, but the truth is we're trying our hardest to win.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Rookie

No, if we were I don't think the loses would be THIS bad and heart breaking.

10. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

Not tanking, more like SUCKING!:vincepalm:

11. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Yup

12. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

"Tanking" is losing on purpose. Being bad is not "tanking."

Can we abolish this ****ing term from the sports lexicon? IF A TEAM IS BAD, THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE TANKING. Good GRIEF.

13. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

This is our chance to land a franchise QB for once. Do we have needs in other areas? Hell yeah but I think we're seeing the effects of not having a franchise caliber QB. I don't know if that guy is Manziel or McCarron or someone else. We don't know if that guy will pan out, but we must take that chance while we have it. A great QB can make a lot of other problems disappear.

14. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

I prefer competitively losing.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Im all for taking an OT with the first rounder ....

When you consider the quality of QB's in this draft that will likely be taken in the second & third rounds as compared to those who will go in the first , its an easy decision.

There is no clear cut franchise QB in this draft , just a bunch of guy's with a lot of potential. Why not get a great OT with the #1 and then get a McCarron , Murray or Boyd in the second / third when they have just as good a chance of being franchise guy's as do Bridgewater , Mariota or Manziel who I see as the biggest gamble in the entire draft - he's a boom or bust.

16. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Texan

I would be all over Jake Mathews, and I hate me some Aggies. :kitten:

Taylor Lewman is the kind of guy you stick at RT and forget about the position for 10 years. He's a better version of fellow Michigan Wolverine Jake Long.

17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

IMO the only position on the line that would constitute a top 5 pick would be LT, otherwise draft best available talent, or trade down and get more value if RT is a must. I think that one of the guys on IR can fill the position or you can get good value via free agency, need to get a more impact player from such a high selection.

Maybe I'm remedial, but maybe someone can educate me as to what exactly consitutes a 'franchise QB' .... If you have the chance to take one of the best college QB's and you have a need at the position, you take it. You will still have a great pick in the 2nd and 3rd which you must hit on as well.

18. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

This is not tanking. This is bad play compounded by even worse decision making. This is literally the most infuriating and befuddling season I have ever seen from this team. I honestly just don't know how much more dysfunctional you can get. Cuz there's dysfunctional and then there's THIS team.

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Manzel is the answer. He is Case on steroids. He's better in every aspect. He's a top 5 player in the draft mock my words.

20. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Texan

Well, since this is turning into a draft thread, I really like McCullers if we're picking outside the top 5.

Please, dear football gods, give me a nose tackle for my 3-4.