Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Carr Thread

From NFL.com

The New York Giants reached agreement with free-agent quarterback David Carr on a one-year, $1 million deal that also includes other incentives, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

The Giants will be the third team in as many years for the former No. 1 overall pick (2002).

In six games -- including four starts -- last season Carr completed 53.7 percent of his passes for 635 yards, three touchdowns and five interceptions. In continuing with a theme from throughout his career, Carr was sacked 13 times. Over six seasons, Carr has been sacked 262 times.

OMG!!

Zoolander LIVES!!!

from nfl.com

Giants coach Tom Coughlin called Carr a talented, athletic player.

"We look forward to working with him on the fundamentals of the game," Coughlin said. "We do have some technical things to work on, but we are anxious to work with him in our program. If we can place him in a positive environment, perhaps he can reclaim some of the things that people saw to draft him in the first round."

Translation: He's camp fodder.

Meh, I'd be surprised if he's on the roster come week 1.

And, if he is, I feel terrible for the Giants fans because I just don't think that Lil' Davey has any nerve left. He'll buckle like a belt under the pressure.

Satan tells Tom Coughlin ( deep Satan voice ) ... Tom it is time . Coughlin responds ... you want my soul for that super bowl right .

Satan says ... that would be to easy ... you will have a fait much worse .

Coughlin ... no you can't ... you're mad ... not that ... nooooooooooooo !!!

Satan ... that''s right ... you will sign David Carr ... Ha ha ha !!!

Meh, I'd be surprised if he's on the roster come week 1.
And, if he is, I feel terrible for the Giants fans because I just don't think that Lil' Davey has any nerve left. He'll buckle like a belt under the pressure.

I said the same thing. As I have always said...good man, horrible QB and I can't believe people still act like he is even capable of taking over if he has to.

Satan tells Tom Coughlin ( deep Satan voice ) ... Tom it is time . Coughlin responds ... you want my soul for that super bowl right .

LOL!! I'm imagining the Satan voice from South Park. This post deserved some rep.

I have found Second Honeymoon on the Giants board .

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/769335.aspx

sorry but that isnt me...it was George Vreeland Hill....whoever the F that is....

pretty shrewd of the dude to use his full legal name to sign his posts, though...i guess that means he is serious or something

meh, even my girlfriend was like 'WTF, someone signed Carr?' When I told her it was the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants, she had this puzzled look on her face and I told her that some coaches have huge egos, and think they can be the one to finally fix someone. The crazy thing is that Carr already got Palmer fired once, why not go for the double? I will say that Gilbride's offense does dink and dunk alot (as we all know from the Pardee run n gun years) and Carr has shown the ability to do that but unless they change his mechanics especially his release point and trajectory, he will never be able to pull those throws off without him constantly getting his passes batted down (probably the biggest flaw in Carr's game...reliance on passing lanes)

Geez, I even think I know enough about football to attempt to address Carr's shortcomings and make him serviceable but the problem is that with the beatings he has taken and with him only getting older each day. By the time you develop him into something worth a crap he will be in his mid-30s.....no reward. I also think the Giants are forgetting about the value of having an intelligent and learned backup QB for signal calling and for practice. Carr is far from a student of the game, so what does he bring to the table. Granted, Manning knows more football than most of his coaches but I don't see anything for the Giants to gain by signing Carr.

I am just being real. Fix his trajectory and mechanics, fix his pace on his dropbacks, and force him to watch tape and study the playbook. If you do those things, you may have an average to above average backup QB. The problem is that there are a lot of QBs, even fat ass Lorenzen, who are better fits. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Another thing you could fix with Carr is his inability to accept responsibility for his failures.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3290086

"Chris knows me better than anybody," Carr told ESPN.com. "I'm looking forward to getting in there and working with him on what's right and wrong with my mechanics."

Carr, 28, spent last season with Carolina and struggled after taking over for an injured Jake Delhomme. Carr was the No. 1 overall pick in 2002 by Houston and spent the first five years of his career there.

He is expected to compete for the backup job behind Eli Manning.

"I have a lot of calluses," Carr said, according to The Associated Press. "I'm like an old carpenter I've been through it. If you let that stuff affect you, you're not going to be able to do your job. One of the reasons I'm excited about coming here is they protect the quarterback well and they have playmakers on the outside."

Yeah Andre Johnson and Steve Smith are just HORRIBLE playmakers on the outside....its always someone else's fault, huh, Carr?
what a freakin joke this guy is. truly pathetic professional.

well one day this thread will end...but it looks like it just got some new life...in NY no less. hahha. coming home from little league to hear that Carr got signed by the Giants and the Rockets won their 20th in a row, was a nice touch to the evening.

Good night, yall.

The whole thing looks very familiar. They're just like the Panthers were a year ago and if they end up having to rely on Carr this year at all then they'll see the same things that Panther fans saw. It really tells you a lot about how little most fans in other cities ever know about the Texans. They all make the same assumptions about the line, the coaching (even when the guy they have coaching Eli is the same guy who was here coaching Carr!) and the player.

I like this goodie from the Giants board

I see this move as purely a competative move. Carr will push Eli for the starting job a lot harder than JLo (which I do not believe Carr will get ultimately). Carr will definately push Eli a lot harder to perform well more consistantly because Carr will be waiting in the Wings.

The whole thing looks very familiar. They're just like the Panthers were a year ago and if they end having to rely on Carr this year at all then they'll see the same things that Panther fans saw. It really tells you a lot about how little most fans in other cities ever know about the Texans. They all make the same assumptions about the line, the coaching (even when the guy they have coaching Eli is the same guy who was here coaching Carr!) and the player.

no truer words have been spoken. classic east coast myopia. they are ignorant of the fact that our OL wasn't the problem with our sack numbers. it was the signal caller's fault to a large extent...and Carolina found that out...now its time for the Super Bowl Champions to find that out.

it would be something special to see Carr and his mittens take heat from the vile NY media. Wow, this could get really surreal. Mittens Takes Manhattan (credit to another poster but cant remember who for that title)

I like this goodie from the Giants board

OMFG. are you kidding me. COMPETE with Eli for the starting job?!?!?!?!? Is this guy a Giants fan or a Carr family member? That is just priceless.

Guy wins a Super Bowl and you think Carr is going to push him for the job. Classic fantasy football attitude. Putting more value into where a guy was picked than how the guy plays the freaking game we love called NFL Football.

The whole thing looks very familiar. They're just like the Panthers were a year ago and if they end having to rely on Carr this year at all then they'll see the same things that Panther fans saw. It really tells you a lot about how little most fans in other cities ever know about the Texans. They all make the same assumptions about the line, the coaching (even when the guy they have coaching Eli is the same guy who was here coaching Carr!) and the player.

Doing my small part to help education national audiences on anything Texans semi-related:

David Carr Blames Others for His Quarterback Failings, Claims He Is Like a Carpenter. Huh?

I tried to be nice. And factual. And provide helpful links.

Those who still believes that David Carr has the potential to be a good quarterback if he gets into a better situation are dealing with matters of hope and faith and nothing based in any reality that I know.

Easy to link at a MB.

Things are starting to allign quite nicely...

From Article:
First thing’s first, Vince Young didn’t succumb to the dreaded Madden curse last season after gracing the 2008 cover.

Now that THAT is out of the way, it looks like EA Sports is planning to get somebody who WILL. After all, despite winning Super Bowl XLII and being named Super Bowl MVP, Eli Manning is STILL a guy ‘’most susceptible'’ to either get injured, play like a jackass or screw his team of a title. That is probably why he’s one of the leading candidates to grace the cursed Madden cover next season.

In no way shape or form credible, but still funny.

http://www.oddjack.com/2008/is-eli-manning-the-new-madden-nfl-2009-cover-boy-02-18.php

Phunny :)

From the Giants MB, this I found interesting:

we'll get to see if he can move the team in the pre season, and remember he is signed for only 1 year so you don't want to get rid of J load . but if he looks good it will raise his stock for the year after .unless he's ready to be a life time backup....and do you think he wants that.........

hmm... He actually wants that, I remember taking notice to this last year when he joined the Panthers, he said that he didn't mind being a backup on a winning team. Now THATS the kinda drive I want to see in all of my backup players :)

Here is my question..did he and Palmer get along or not. I've seen in this thread people say that they got along. I heard this morning on bad radio that they were at odd and didn't get along...from Andre. So which is it. I know Palmer had to sign off probably but I wonder how icy it is in NY.

Here is my question..did he and Palmer get along or not. I've seen in this thread people say that they got along. I heard this morning on bad radio that they were at odd and didn't get along...from Andre. So which is it. I know Palmer had to sign off probably but I wonder how icy it is in NY.

From David Carr's mickey mouth:

Carr added in the release that the "main reason" he signed with the Giants was Palmer, who was the Texans' offensive coordinator during Carr's first four years in Houston.

Well yeah Davie, that and they offered you a job.

Link

From David Carr's mickey mouth:

OK, thanks! I just found it strange that Andre...I know, they aren't the end all be all or even close in talk radio but he is on the Texan radio team.....said it was an icy relationship and that Daves parting comments about the offense after he left were pretty pointed. I guess he just thought.."hey the guy knows me."

Carr just proved P. T. Barnum was right...

There is a sucker born every day....

I am curious if Isaah Thomas moved from Knicks to Giants

I said the same thing. As I have always said...good man, horrible QB and I can't believe people still act like he is even capable of taking over if he has to.

And yet people keep giving him opportunities.

Makes quite a statement about how thin the pool is at QB.

"
Carr added in the release that the "main reason" he signed with the Giants was Palmer, who was the Texans' offensive coordinator during Carr's first four years in Houston."

Link

the last page of this thread is golden....im all repped out

Chris Palmer is a very likeable, friendly coach. I can't imagine him being terribly icy to anyone.

Carr has repeatedly said over the years how much he liked Palmer, and then when Palmer got canned, he played excited about Pendry but commented on how much he was going to miss Palmer.

I can't say how they are behind the scenes, but I can't imagine Palmer wanting Carr in NYC if he didn't get along with him.

Here's a nutty comment I received in my blog comments:

8. let me ask you this...who exactly was he supposed to get the ball to? a quintuple covered andre johnson?

and that VAUNTED texans running game sure took a lot of pressure off.

owen daniels and andre davis' miraculous emergence was what helped the team, not the lack of carr. and the panthers are/were a crap team regardless of who was in there. again, quintuple cover steve smith and there you go, who was he going to throw to? dwayne jarrett? drew carter? does carolina even have a TE?

This is such a ridiculously misguided comment on so many levels it is difficult to even know where to begin.

I said a few things, but feel free to pile on if you care to. Even "Justin" my poor Panther fan who got irate when I was making factual entries about Carr before last season came around to the belief that Carr wasn't very good.

David Carr Blames Others for His Quarterback Failings, Claims He Is Like a Carpenter. Huh?

I think the AOL powers that be are promoting this post a little, so feel free to add some wisdom in the comments for posterity. :cool:

Being an Eagles fan I think this is a great move by the Giants. Can't wait to see Carr play against Jim Johnson's blitz or Ware and the Cowboys if he has to.
What this move tells me is the state of the qb position in the league is very poor. The only reason Carr can hang around is he has started in the past and is under 30, It's sure not his play. You don't "develop " any player after 7 years in the league. What you see is what you get.

Up here in the NE. you have two types of fans. Eagle/Giant fans who only want to sign anyone who they might have heard of and believe that their idea is an improvement. They spend their time on the team message boards.

The second type of fan know the league and are mostly ignored when they post what is fact. So don't put too much stock in what is being posted. A lot of people know better.
As an example, I have a good friend who has been a Giant fan for over 40 years. He called Carr "the worst nfl qb he has seen in the past 35 years". Said this when Carr was still a Texan and still had a following in Houston. I pm Vinny this years ago.

My advice to Carr is if you have to play, you better do it well. Your not in Kansas any more. People turn on you quick and get very nasty like you wouldn't believe. Keep your helmet on at all times and your loved ones away from the Meadowlands.

from 'cak's link

His performance was marred by injuries and inconsistency, however, and the Panthers released him on Feb. 27.

inconsistency.. no. he was consistently terrible bar that one flying flip he did when they were 30 points down.

If I remember right , Carr was gloating about how Pendry was going to take him to a different level that Palmer failed to achieve .

He was blaming Palmer's offense for his screwups . Even Hulk was making fun of Palmer making Carr throw over ladders . Hulk told the Panther fans that one reason Carr chose the Panthers was they would'nt mess with his motion .

I think Kubiak was the last straw . He also had a reputation as a QB guru like Palmer and when to gurus say your QB stinks ... well that's a trend .

This is such a ridiculously misguided comment on so many levels it is difficult to even know where to begin.

I said a few things, but feel free to pile on if you care to. Even "Justin" my poor Panther fan who got irate when I was making factual entries about Carr before last season came around to the belief that Carr wasn't very good.

I think the AOL powers that be are promoting this post a little, so feel free to add some wisdom in the comments for posterity. :cool:

Nice stuff TC. I like this little jewell you through out there at the end. Noodling?? LMAO!

Well, and a NFL quarterback wearing gloves on both hands in warm weather is evidence of some really odd stuff noodling around in his head.

Chris Palmer is a very likeable, friendly coach. I can't imagine him being terribly icy to anyone.

Carr has repeatedly said over the years how much he liked Palmer, and then when Palmer got canned, he played excited about Pendry but commented on how much he was going to miss Palmer.

I can't say how they are behind the scenes, but I can't imagine Palmer wanting Carr in NYC if he didn't get along with him.

Thanks for the info. I just was wondering since I heard the comment about them not getting along while channel surfing coming into work. I appreciate it. Nice article BTW. Always good work.:)

We always hear the quote about how a cornerback has to have a very short memory and be able to go right back out there and line up after getting burned. It's an ego thing that's necessary for them to be able to do their jobs. I swear I hear that six or seven times a year. It's all about having a thick skin and an extraordinary amount of confidence.

The truth is that this applies to just about every position in professional football from the punter all the way up to the owners. If you're a coach then you're going to get fired, dropped in the grease, scapegoated, or whatever at some point in your career (and it's probably going to happen at least a couple of times). The same guy firing you might be asking you to join his staff in a couple of years. You need to be able to bounce back when things don't work out.

I beleive that Chris Palmer is probably behind the Giants signing David Carr and didn't just sign off on it. I think he probably feels like he was making progress with Carr when he was here. Then when the Texans made the (in his eyes) bad decision of scrapping the offensive changes they'd worked on prior to the 2005 season, fell flat on their collective faces, and then ran him out of town to appease the fans (fired the wrong coach in my opinion) they let Joe Pendry screw him up. Then they brought Kubiak in and didn't give him enough time to straighten Carr out. I bet his thoughts go something like that.

Remember how reluctant Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers were to admit that they'd blown it with the Carr pick? I don't have any doubts that Chris Palmer shares that sentiment. In this case the thick skin and ego I talked about before probably tell him that he can fix David and help him get his career back on track. He likes David Carr, that's obvious. A lot of people like David Carr but most of those same people probably wouldn't sign him to an NFL contract.

A million dollar deal was news way back in the day. Now it's a relative pittance. The Giants just won a Super Bowl and they're humoring Chris Palmer by letting him revisit one of his former failures to try and make things right. From their perspective they have very little to lose and they probably think they'll work with Carr this year. Evaluate him after a year of practice (hopefully that's all he does in 2008) and then decide whether to sign him again or cut him loose.

Great job TC, as always I enjoy reading your blog, so many good links on there to prove your point.

NYG fans pray for Eli's health, you have been warned!

We always hear the quote about how a cornerback has to have a very short memory and be able to go right back out there and line up after getting burned. It's an ego thing that's necessary for them to be able to do their jobs. I swear I hear that six or seven times a year. It's all about having a thick skin and an extraordinary amount of confidence.

The truth is that this applies to just about every position in professional football from the punter all the way up to the owners. If you're a coach then you're going to get fired, dropped in the grease, scapegoated, or whatever at some point in your career (and it's probably going to happen at least a couple of times). The same guy firing you might be asking you to join his staff in a couple of years. You need to be able to bounce back when things don't work out.

I beleive that Chris Palmer is probably behind the Giants signing David Carr and didn't just sign off on it. I think he probably feels like he was making progress with Carr when he was here. Then when the Texans made the (in his eyes) bad decision of scrapping the offensive changes they'd worked on prior to the 2005 season, fell flat on their collective faces, and then ran him out of town to appease the fans (fired the wrong coach in my opinion) they let Joe Pendry screw him up. Then they brought Kubiak in and didn't give him enough time to straighten Carr out. I bet his thoughts go something like that.

Remember how reluctant Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers were to admit that they'd blown it with the Carr pick? I don't have any doubts that Chris Palmer shares that sentiment. In this case the thick skin and ego I talked about before probably tell him that he can fix David and help him get his career back on track. He likes David Carr, that's obvious. A lot of people like David Carr but most of those same people probably wouldn't sign him to an NFL contract.

A million dollar deal was news way back in the day. Now it's a relative pittance. The Giants just won a Super Bowl and they're humoring Chris Palmer by letting him revisit one of his former failures to try and make things right. From their perspective they have very little to lose and they probably think they'll work with Carr this year. Evaluate him after a year of practice (hopefully that's all he does in 2008) and then decide whether to sign him again or cut him loose.

You must spread some rep...

Great post Herv.

A lot of people like David Carr but most of those same people probably wouldn't sign him to an NFL contract.
This was the only team that would have signed Carr. I thought last season was his last chance. But I forgot about Chris Palmer, whose work with Eli has bought enough caché to convince Reese & Coughlin that David can be restored to some facsimile of a NFL QB.

I keep thinking of the scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, where Spicoli looks at the wrecked Trans Am and boldly states, "I can fix it." This is Chris Palmer's Spicoli moment.

This was the only team that would have signed Carr. I thought last season was his last chance. But I forgot about Chris Palmer, whose work with Eli has bought enough caché to convince Reese & Coughlin that David can be restored to some facsimile of a NFL QB.

I keep thinking of the scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, where Spicoli looks at the wrecked Trans Am and boldly states, "I can fix it." This is Chris Palmer's Spicoli moment.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

A freaking classic!

Looks like Hulk75..Derek found the Giants board as FresnoGiant

Hey guys,

First post, but lifer G-Men fan.

Being a Jersey to Cali transplant, I got to see Carr play here at Fresno St. He is (or at least WAS) as good as his #1 pick indicated. Also true though, is that he has become extremely gun-shy in the pocket. Houston has a lot to do with that. Letting him suffer a record number of sacks in his rookie year may have ruined him for his career. However, after seeing what he is capable of behind an above average O-line (which we have), I have to think he may improve with the Gints'. Given some protection, he may eventually regain some trust in his pocket, and be at least a serviceable backup. His biggest knock is his interceptions. But, so is Eli's. The difference, is that Eli has been able to win with us, and Carr has never had a successful season. Let's see what he does in pre-season, and pass judgement then. But, IMHO he can and will be a decent #2.

GO GIANTS in 08' !!

http://boards.giants.com/forums/1/770329/ShowThread.aspx

The "Fresno Mafia" follow him around like groupies. It's just sick to think that for years we had to try and talk football while they were talking out of their fourth point of contact about their idol. It's no wonder you can't hold an intelligent conversation with these people.

Yeah, he was at the video arcade with Lawrence Taylor doing bong hits prior to the wreck. "People on ludes should not be driving."

Back