Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

Falcons’ Drake London is the betting favorite to be offensive rookie of the year
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2022, 12:29 PM EDT

Falcons wide receiver Drake London is the betting favorite to be the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year in 2022.
London, who went to Atlanta with the eighth overall pick in the 2022 NFL draft, is the favorite with +550 odds, via Ben Fawkes.

In second place is Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett, at +600. Pickett may end up spending his rookie season on the sideline, but if Pickett wins the starting job in training camp, he has a good chance.

Tied for third in the odds are Titans wide receiver Treylon Burks and Jets running back Breece Hall at +700 each. The Titans traded No. 1 receiver A.J. Brown for the pick they used on Burks, so they expect Burks to get a lot of targets this season. Hall was the highest-drafted running back this year.

Also on the board are Jets wide receiver Garrett Wilson at +850 and Seahawks running back Kenneth Walker III at +900.

Among the long shots are Saints wide receiver Chris Olave, Packers wide receiver Christian Watson and Lions wide receiver Jameson Williams, all at 10-1. Titans quarterback Malik Willis is an even longer shot at 12-1.

Jets are putting together a pretty enviable draft so far:

CB- Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner
WR- Garrett Wilson
DE- Jermaine Johnson
RB- Breece Hall

Based on player ratings…..it almost looks like the Jets have managed to draft the top players at their position with their first four picks.

I would’ve loved to see those picks on the Texans. Caserio blew it with Stingley. Straight up screwed the pooch. Not unhappy with his other picks but not overly excited either. I’ll revisit this draft in 3 years, about the time Stingley doesn’t get a new contract and a year before his fifth year option is declined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would’ve loved to see those picks on the Texans. Caserio blew it with Stingley. Straight up screwed the pooch. Not unhappy with his other picks but not overly excited either. I’ll revisit this draft in 3 years, about the time Stingley doesn’t get a new contract and a year before his fifth year option is declined.

Well as Texans fans, let’s hope not in regards to Stingley. Jets did had two top 10 picks and better positioning to take advantage when another team made a mistake. But only 7 picks total, yet hit on everyone, that is rare.

Still, this is the best draft class in Houston Texans history. Giving Nick Caserio a passing grade.

1 (3)Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
1 (15)Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
2 (37)Jalen Pitre, DB, Baylor
2 (44)John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
3 (75)Christian Harris, LB, Alabama
4 (107)Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida
5 (150)Thomas Booker, DT, Stanford
5 (170)Teagan Quitoriano, TE, Oregon State
6 (205)Austin Deculus, OT, LSU

Obviously love Kenyon Green pick. Versatile, strong, great anchor and mirror should develop into best interior lineman in franchise history.

Baylor fans rejoice, y’all know how good Pitre is, very high demand position/player Texans lucky to get him.

2022 was a hot WR class not only in round one (6) but round two (7) as well, which was reason Caserio felt trading up to get Metchie as warranted. When healthy an even better WR than Nico Collins.

I know some question taking LB here, but Harris has the speed and multidimensional skill set to quickly develop into an impact starter under Lovie.

RB’s are undervalued in this day and age but you still need some, especially Texans, and Dameon Price is explosive downhill runner who could become Texans bell cow back. Don’t sleep on this pick.

Thomas Booker, after Green and Pitre my favorite Texan selection. Smart, tough, penetrating DT with terrific core strength. Was hoping he’d fall to the Chargers but Caserio saw his potential and snapped him up.

Wanted TE a bit earlier but just so many holes to fill, they waited and got value in Teagan Quitoriano, big Salem Oregon Via Oregon State 6056 256. Big-bodied target and plays like a power forward in the post.

Last but not least a solid dependable offensive tackle who will be a hardworking role player, plugged in wherever needed. Limited athleticism but hard nosed tough competitor.

Well as Texans fans, let’s hope not in regards to Stingley. Jets did had two top 10 picks and better positioning to take advantage when another team made a mistake. But only 7 picks total, yet hit on everyone, that is rare.

Still, this is the best draft class in Houston Texans history. Giving Nick Caserio a passing grade.

Obviously love Kenyon Green pick. Versatile, strong, great anchor and mirror should develop into best interior lineman in franchise history.

Baylor fans rejoice, y’all know how good Pitre is, very high demand position/player Texans lucky to get him.

2022 was a hot WR class not only in round one (6) but round two (7) as well, which was reason Caserio felt trading up to get Metchie as warranted. When healthy an even better WR than Nico Collins.

I know some question taking LB here, but Harris has the speed and multidimensional skill set to quickly develop into an impact starter under Lovie.

RB’s are undervalued in this day and age but you still need some, especially Texans, and Dameon Price is explosive downhill runner who could become Texans bell cow back. Don’t sleep on this pick.

Thomas Booker, after Green and Pitre my favorite Texan selection. Smart, tough, penetrating DT with terrific core strength. Was hoping he’d fall to the Chargers but Caserio saw his potential and snapped him up.

Wanted TE a bit earlier but just so many holes to fill, they waited and got value in Teagan Quitoriano, big Salem Oregon Via Oregon State 6056 256. Big-bodied target and plays like a power forward in the post.

Last but not least a solid dependable offensive tackle who will be a hardworking role player, plugged in wherever needed. Limited athleticism but hard nosed tough competitor.

We see this draft in the same light.

It will be an awesome draft if Stingley/Metchie can stay healthy. If not it will still be a good draft.

Don't follow LZ much anymore because NFL.com has become such a jacked up site, but he nailed Texans first round:

Lance Zierlein 2022 NFL mock draft 4.0
3. Houston Texans Derek Stingley Jr. LSU · CB · Junior
Houston has done extensive work on Stingley, and head coach Lovie Smith recently commented on the Texans' desperate need to get better at CB.

13. (from CLE) Kenyon Green Texas A&M · IOL · Junior
If the Texans go cornerback at No. 3, they would be wise to bolster their offensive line with a body-moving guard who boasts start-now talent.

LZ does great work, regardless. Hit on a lot but even if he didn’t hit still selected near 30 of the first round picks. Only one that is a major miss to the point I can believe this organization, Pittsburgh Steelers threw out false information, or made a hard detour last minute, because LZ had them trade up 3 spots for Malik Willis. Instead they stood pat and took Pickett #20, meanwhile Malik slide lasted into the 3rd rd. #86 to the Titans. There is a movie or documentary in there somewhere.

We won't know anything about this draft class for a couple of years. Post draft grades are silly.

We won't know anything about this draft class for a couple of years. Post draft grades are silly.

Understand Skepticism, we’ve been around here for years. Of course we can’t know for sure, but my long term indicator is pointing due north. This is by far the best draft class ever, in Houston Texans history. Wish it had happened years early with Kubiak, but it is what it is.

Understand Skepticism, we’ve been around here for years. Of course we can’t know for sure, but my long term indicator is pointing due north. This is by far the best draft class ever, in Houston Texans history. Wish it had happened years early with Kubiak, but it is what it is.

How can you say that this is the best or worst anything? I’m only skeptical of the Stingley pick. I’m fairly confident that his injury history is going to continue to plague him. I hope all of them become perennial all-pros.
My main point is that no one on earth has any idea of how these draft picks are going to pan out. I don’t get too high or too low with the draft. I like to look at it in 3 years and then make a judgement.

How can you say that this is the best or worst anything? I’m only skeptical of the Stingley pick. I’m fairly confident that his injury history is going to continue to plague him. I hope all of them become perennial all-pros.
My main point is that no one on earth has any idea of how these draft picks are going to pan out. I don’t get too high or too low with the draft. I like to look at it in 3 years and then make a judgement.

Even if you remove Stingley out of the equation, from a draft pick standpoint, it would still clearly be better than any Texan draft class. Sad but true-

Even if you remove Stingley out of the equation, from a draft pick standpoint, it would still clearly be better than any Texan draft class. Sad but true-
The Texans didn't have a 1st round pick in 4 of the last six drafts.

They had two this past draft.

Kinda hard not to get excited about 4 picks in the first & second round.

giphy.gif

I've never looked at post draft grades as a crystal ball look at how they're definitely going to turn out years from now. I don't really know why people seem to think that. Post draft grades, as far as I've ever been concerned, are just taking a cumulative total of what you think of the guys taken as is and their value relative to how the draft played out on the whole.

We have opinions on each and every pick and trade, why can't we give a some total opinion once we see a particular draft as a finished product?

Post draft grades, as far as I've ever been concerned, are just taking a cumulative total of what you think of the guys taken as is and their value relative to how the draft played out on the whole
Exactly.

It's like saying you can't rank Kyle Hamilton over Jalen Pitre since neither has played a down in the NFL.

The Texans addressed their secondary, run game, & receiving corps. They did little to help their run defense or pass rush.

Do you agree with what they did or not? On a scale of 1-10? It's a grade.

I've never looked at post draft grades as a crystal ball look at how they're definitely going to turn out years from now. I don't really know why people seem to think that. Post draft grades, as far as I've ever been concerned, are just taking a cumulative total of what you think of the guys taken as is and their value relative to how the draft played out on the whole.

We have opinions on each and every pick and trade, why can't we give a some total opinion once we see a particular draft as a finished product?

You can do what you wish. I will not give credence to aNy such opinions until after a few T years after the draft. Post draft grades tend to be cumulative horse ****

You can do what you wish. I will not give credence to aNy such opinions until after a few T years after the draft. Post draft grades tend to be cumulative horse ****

Do you give any credence at all to any pre-draft rankings?

Better than 06?

Exactly.

It's like saying you can't rank Kyle Hamilton over Jalen Pitre since neither has played a down in the NFL.

The Texans addressed their secondary, run game, & receiving corps. They did little to help their run defense or pass rush.

They could've had Hamilton and Pitre at 14 and 37 correct?

13 and 37.
But how would you feel with no Neal, Ekwonu, Cross, Penning, Green, Z Johnson or Linderbaum on the board?
I like Linderbaum at center. Also liked the Kentucky kid at guard. I mean, as stated,they picked the players they had high evals on vs common folks. Offensively,if they can get to at least 19ppg, that will get them to 5-6 wins. I don't like the fact teams will still be able to run on this team without a run stopper. You have to earn the right to rush the passer. Pass rush is cool, but if teams are getting chucks on the ground, the games will be shorter and the offense doesn't have explosiveness.

Last edited:
They could've had Hamilton and Pitre at 14 and 37 correct?
Would that have been better?

If so would you grade that higher or lower than what they actually did?

That's the point. Post draft grades makes sense if you know how to read them. The player & what he's done, how the GM used that information & managed the draft. That's what's being graded.

There's ample evidence that Nick graded these guys differently than others did. In a few years maybe we'll figure what that was all about

Would that have been better?

If so would you grade that higher or lower than what they actually did?

That's the point. Post draft grades makes sense if you know how to read them. The player & what he's done, how the GM used that information & managed the draft. That's what's being graded.

There's ample evidence that Nick graded these guys differently than others did. In a few years maybe we'll figure what that was all about
The secondary is still a mess when you're counting on Eric Murry. They have 1 legit boundary corner if he's healthy (Stingley), King is solid at the slot. Not to mention, teams are going to run up the gut vs them. You can't solve all the problems in 1 draft. Time is always the truth teller.

The secondary is still a mess when you're counting on Eric Murry. They have 1 legit boundary corner if he's healthy (Stingley), King is solid at the slot. Not to mention, teams are going to run up the gut vs them. You can't solve all the problems in 1 draft. Time is always the truth teller.
So you're giving them an F+

So you're giving them an F+
Nope, not grading. Throughout my history, I've never graded drafts. There are drafts I like more than others, but we're talking about young men. As stated, the only pick I didn't care for was Metchie. Honestly, with how bad this roster is, I would've been cool with them staying put or moving down and adding players. The Ravens had 6 4th rd picks. The 4th rd in this draft because of covid was chock full of players. Their roster is alot better than Texans and they chose 6 players in 1 round. Let that sink in.

Throughout my history, I've never graded drafts. There are drafts I like more than others,
Tamayto tamahto
but we're talking about young men.
Actually right now we’re talking about the GM’s player evaluation & his management of draft resources
The Ravens had 6 4th rd picks. The 4th rd in this draft because of covid was chock full of players. Their roster is alot better than Texans and they chose 6 players in 1 round. Let that sink in.
Exactly.

Exactly.

I think adding Harris/Petrie and Booker are going to help with the run game. The pass rush is still lacking. There's only so much you can do in one draft.

I could care less about likes and retweets. I care about accuracy. The teams that draft well, do it on a consistent basis and in the playoff hunt year after year. Texans are in rebuild mode and Caserio has a tough ask, to improve Texan roster, competing head to head, pick vs pick, against elite or new better managed regimes. There are a lot less mismanaged teams in the NFL now than even two years ago.

2022 NFL Draft was NC first fully (pick wise) loaded draft as GM. Last year with abbreviated draft slots, had to argue Mills selection was the right pick given the Texan situation and knowing Tyrod Taylor is injury prone. Lot of teams took notice. The run on similar QB prospects for QB needy teams didn’t start until the 3rd rd.

Most who follow the draft boards/talk here know I’m on the Sauce, as in Ahmad Gardner. Reason why, I believe, they passed on him and went Stingley, for that matter taking Keynon Green over Jermaine Johnson #13, was locker room and cultural fit.

This is hard part for Texan fans, it’s going to take Stingley time, medically to fully recover, he needs to play with reserve, not extend himself too early, causing him set-backs. Meanwhile Sauce is transforming the NY Jets defense into a formidable power. By year two Derek will be physically stronger and in discussions as a top 5 CB. That trust and patience by the Texans, will be rewarded with a core foundation piece from which to build on.

Several of these 2022 draft picks will be Foundation pieces for the Texans, which is why I made the statement, “Best Draft Class in Texans History”. Besides first rounders, Pitre has better coverage skills than the last solid Safety, Texans drafted all the way back to 2018 Justin Reed. He was the perfect pick at the perfect time, player who several teams wanted yet hoping to slide just a bit to them. Metchie like teammate Jamison Williams draft stock slipped because of ACL. Williams didn’t slide far but would have been taken as the #1 WR to Atlanta over Drake London, easily. Metchie given late first round considerations in a red hot WR class. Harris has a lot more juice than another Alabama LB DeMeco Ryan who we saw positional change, team wanting more speed in 2011-12.

4th round was the range when the rest of the top RB’s went, just like QB position in the 3rd. We all felt the pain when Jets traded ahead of Texans to select Breece Hall. So NC waited until 4th to select Florida RB Dameon Pierce, he’s more of a project, but is fearless and pounds the line of scrimmage, probably following Kenyon Green as preferred lead blocker, with explosive speed, can take it to the house any given play. Really down between him and Zamir White, Georgia.

5th rd. Thomas Booker, DT maybe my favorite pick of all Texans selections. Super smart, quick and strong. Teams don’t seem to value interior defensive players like Linebackers these days, so getting two rounds later excellent value and immediate starter/rotational piece on the Dl. Doesn’t have that explosive first step like Davonte Wyatt but just as strong and smarter, otherwise similar players, gives you interior pass rush and disruptive in run game.

Last two picks should make the 53 man roster. TE Teagan Quitoriano and OT/OG Austin DeCulus. Both positions of need. The TE free agency class got crazy expensive last two years for position of need so going late round gives you cheaper option and another chance to hit starter into the future, but no guarantees here. DeCulus is tough and competitive most likely a solid career back-up but not someone who will flame out, never to be heard from again, solid late round addition.

This is why I believe this is as solid of draft class in its entirety as any in Texans history. It didn’t hurt that Texans once again (4th time) had early picks each round, or bonus high picks via Watson Trade and lastly a deeper draft class than those when they were selecting higher. NC deserves recognition for bringing Houston it’s first top 10 draft class period.

Don’t like
Don’t retweet
Just absorb

:koolaid:

Leaked Cowboys draft board shows division rival Giants got top two players in draft
***https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...on-rival-giants-got-top-two-players-in-draft/
In an attempt to prove that the team's first-round pick, former Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith, was higher on their draft board than two players who were drafted ahead of him, Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones last week pulled out a laminated sheet of paper containing what appeared to be the first two rounds of the Cowboys' draft board. Jerry was predictably admonished by team vice presidents Stephen Jones and Will McClay for showing off the board, but apparently he held it out there just long enough for it to be deciphered.
Ole Jer needs to cut back on the scotch & waters before & during pressers.

Leaked Cowboys draft board shows division rival Giants got top two players in draft
***https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...on-rival-giants-got-top-two-players-in-draft/
In an attempt to prove that the team's first-round pick, former Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith, was higher on their draft board than two players who were drafted ahead of him, Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones last week pulled out a laminated sheet of paper containing what appeared to be the first two rounds of the Cowboys' draft board. Jerry was predictably admonished by team vice presidents Stephen Jones and Will McClay for showing off the board, but apparently he held it out there just long enough for it to be deciphered.
Ole Jer needs to cut back on the scotch & waters before & during pressers.
Even with the injury they had Stingley at 6

Back