Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4th round Commentary Thread

KSig44

Waterboy
Loved Day one and I was in the Reggie Camp. We have weapons to get the job done, they just need time. I believe we helped that situation in round 3. Now we have pick 98 and while I somewhat agree on Ko Simpson, isn't the fact we do not have a 2nd corner opposite DR a bit of a need. Our safties while not great are learning and have upside. The corner spot is a hole we have no one to fill. I think that should be the focus with the 4th rounder, not replacing a capable safty. Need over luxury has been the name of this draft so far.:stirpot:

the 2 safeties we have are SS, we need a FS. we have none that can start. With corner, we have two serviceable guys in Pbuc and Faggins.

The talent level in the CB pool is exhausted for this draft class. The only CB mentionable at this point would be Dee Webb and he wouldn't (likely) beat out Buchanan.

However, it wasn't that long ago that scouts were talking about Ko Simpson as a first rounder - and free safety is a big hole for us. I like Pat Watkins, too.

They might have been 2 SS's, but they got the job done. PBuc didn't. I realive teh talent level there (even Ko Simpson and bing have dropped this far and there has been a lot of safties taken as well as corners). To much is put on mock drafts, we saw that today. Winston justice was a top 15 in most mocks and he went in round 2. Bing is a SS, so taking him would be useless. Simpson is talented and hard to pass on, but taking a corner and moving PBuc to nickel or maybe FS would work better than having him play corner again. How many times did he get burned?:brickwall

KSig44 said:
They might have been 2 SS's, but they got the job done. PBuc didn't. I realive teh talent level there (even Ko Simpson and bing have dropped this far and there has been a lot of safties taken as well as corners). To much is put on mock drafts, we saw that today. Winston justice was a top 15 in most mocks and he went in round 2. Bing is a SS, so taking him would be useless. Simpson is talented and hard to pass on, but taking a corner and moving PBuc to nickel or maybe FS would work better than having him play corner again. How many times did he get burned?:brickwall

Who is available that will do better than Pbuc with our new improved pass rush helping him out? Whats more, which corner is out there that will be able to do more to help the Texan's defense than Ko "freaking" Simpson?

KSig44 said:

Faggins got burned much more than Buchanon if you watched the games. The CB's still left on the board are not value and not close to BPA. Simpson and Watkins are both rated much higher than where they are at now, and both could easily be BPA depending on how we have them ranked.

The best CB left? Dee Webb or Allen Zemetrius?

Tell me you would honestly rather have one of those two guys than Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing, or Pat Watkins.

TheRealJoker said:
Who is available that will do better than Pbuc with our new improved pass rush helping him out? Whats more, which corner is out there that will be able to do more to help the Texan's defense than Ko "freaking" Simpson?

Well put, you beat me to the post.

I'm loving this draft, + Rep points for you as well!!:redtowel:

Do you think every pick will start every game. I will bet money Ko won't start 8. He is extremely raw. I like him, but we need a corner. PBuc can't do the job even with help (see Oakland days). It would be easier to get a Will Blackmond and move PBuc over to FS where it is more ball hawking than corner coverage skills.

KSig44 said:
Do you think every pick will start every game. I will bet money Ko won't start 8. I like him, but we need a corner. PBuc can't do the job even with help (see Oakland days). It would be easier to get a Will Blackmond and move PBuc over to FS where it is more ball hawking than corner coverage skills.

Buchanon is a gambler and gamechanger by nature, I don't want that as my last line of defense. He is a CB. I feel we could use a CB, but not in the position we find ourselves in currently. Blackmon doesn't even have a defined spot yet, and he is not very good at either. He couldn't beat Buchanon out, even at WR probally.

It's not that I, nor the other fans, dont want a CB...its just that comparitivly speaking...the FS options are MUCH better than the CB options. When could you get a top 20 talent from 3 weeks ago in the 4th round? Blackmon was never projected over the 4th round, and should go in the 6th IMO. What CB actually deserves this pick?

Mightymike said:
wusup Youngtexanfan
u playin fball this year?
if so have you started spring fball
we start on monday

I don't know when we start exactly. I might end up playing QB (hope not because we have NO O-line) but hopefully I'll get to play TE again. Baseball just ended...yall beat us in a close game :crying: . We should start next week I guess.

YoungTexanFan said:
I don't know when we start exactly. I might end up playing QB (hope not because we have NO O-line) but hopefully I'll get to play TE again. Baseball just ended...yall beat us in a close game :crying: . We should start next week I guess.

i guess you know how david carr felt the past 4 years

GoTexans said:
Whose the best fit for what we need?

Rodrique Wright DT, Texas
Darnell Bing S, USC
Jonathan Scott OT, Texas
Max Jean-Gilles G, Georgia
Dwayne Slay S, Texas Tech

We don't need more DT's, Bing is a SS, Jon Scott is a decent option, Giles is not going to happen, Slay is going to be doing good just to be drafted.

Well, I am also a believer that all the Texans issues will not be solved in one offseason. I am on the Ko bandwagon also, but I was playing a bit of devils advocate. I hate the corner options we have and there are CB's out there that would be able to help this year. This is where I wish we still hade the 5th rounder (but it will be worth it for Moulds). I consider Simpson more of a 2nd round player, very few mocks had him in the first round. But even then he is a steal in round 4 based on that. I just hope we can sign one more CB after the draft and he can come in and help push PBuc.

YoungTexanFan said:
Buchanon is a gambler and gamechanger by nature, I don't want that as my last line of defense. He is a CB. I feel we could use a CB, but not in the position we find ourselves in currently. Blackmon doesn't even have a defined spot yet, and he is not very good at either. He couldn't beat Buchanon out, even at WR probally.

It's not that I, nor the other fans, dont want a CB...its just that comparitivly speaking...the FS options are MUCH better than the CB options. When could you get a top 20 talent from 3 weeks ago in the 4th round? Blackmon was never projected over the 4th round, and should go in the 6th IMO. What CB actually deserves this pick?

I agree with all of this. Now I don't know. Tags didn't send ME the E-mail. And I don't know for sure who ? But two players who were considered first round tallents tested positive for drugs at the combine. I've been tring to figure it out all day long.

The little corner from Baylor is still on the board. When the bears jumped up and took Manning, my heart broke. He would've been the round peg in the round hole. LOL, apperently Chicago thought so too. Oh well.

Mightymike said:
i guess you know how david carr felt the past 4 years

Yea, luckily we run a west-coast offense with a 3 step and throw mentality. I'm also not the most mobile of guys, I measure in at 5'11 3/4 and 182 lbs. I've got a big chest and broad shoulders and I look like a LB when I suit up.

threetoedpete said:
I agree with all of this. Now I don't know. Tags didn't send ME the E-mail. And I don't know for sure who ? But two players who were considered first round tallents tested positive for drugs at the combine. I've been tring to figure it out all day long.

The little corner from Baylor is still on the board. When the bears jumped up and took Manning, my heart broke. He would've been the round peg in the round hole. LOL, apperently Chicago thought so too. Oh well.

Lendale White was one of them, and I BELIEVE Justice was the other, but don't quote me on Justice.

CB Will Blackmon, FS Pat Watkins, FS Ko Simpson... are all interesting to me.

... Buchanan and Faggins will both be better than last year for two reasons:

1. improved pass rush
2. removal of Fangio

(and it's a contract year for Buchanan.

I'm a big fan of picking Ko with this pick, but we also have a couple more options:

Pat Watkins S (trade down and get a 5th along with this selection, DON'T
pick with 1st pick in the 4th)
Demetrius Williams WR (Possible future EMO replacement, one of best WR in
draft)

Max Jean-Gilles shouldn't even be considered at any round....way too bulky and sloppy for our type of game. Well when i say 'game' i mean potential/hopeful 'game' with our new coaches and O players. I see Ko Simpson being the very obvious choice here. He was projected to possibly even go as high as a late 1st right before the draft (very low possibility, but basically the number 2 safety behind Whitner).

Simpson is a risk-reward type of prospect who could come off the board as high as the first round, but we feel a lot safer giving such an unproven commodity a second round grade.

- taken from the ESPN Big Board profiles (Insider).

these positions should be considered, S, CB, TE (maybe), WR (possibly)

on that note

s - Bing, Simpson, Watkins
cb - minter, zemaitis (possibly)
te - day, daniels (maybe) neither worthy of the pick though
wr - robinson, williams

that being said, i'd be happy with any safety, bing, watkins, simpson in that order. or cb minter. wr williams or robinson who could be the poor man's bush.

I'd take a chance on Simpson. He can play FS and we have two good SS in Earl and Brown. I like Charles Gordon and Alan Zemaitis as guys who would be good nickel/FS types if Simpson is as dumb as everyone says. Greg Eslinger could be had to groom behind Flannagan. Would not shock me to see them pick a power running back either. Denver and Atlanta both struggle in short space...it's the large amount of finesse linemen.

if the texans were to draft a rb what type would they look for? a goalline back type or is DD considered the goalline back? the reason i ask is i'm very interested in a rb out of arkansas de'arrius howard. he's 5'11" and 230. the guy is a bruiser. from espn:

Overall: Howard redshirted in 2001. He played in all 14 games in 2002. Served as a backup in 10 games in 2003, when he rushed for 267 yards and six touchdowns on 95 carries. He led all Arkansas RB's in rushing in 2004, finishing with 529 yards and six TD's on 124 carries. As a senior in 2005, Howard rushed for 328 yards and two TD's on 63 carries. Howard was a classic underachiever throughout his career at Arkansas but he flashed enough versatility and natural talent when on the field to spark our interest. Howard also put on an impressive showing at this year's East-West Shrine all-star game, where he displayed an intriguing combination of size, speed and power. He is too much of an enigma to gamble on earlier than the final couple of rounds, but Howard's upside makes him worth the risk late in the 2006 draft.

he averaged: 4.5, 2.8, 4.3, 5.2 ypc at arkansas. i'd really like to see houston give him a shot.

I sense a trade down esp with Casserly talking about a value pick with the 1st pick in the 4th round

Janus3 said:
if the texans were to draft a rb what type would they look for? a goalline back type or is DD considered the goalline back? the reason i ask is i'm very interested in a rb out of arkansas de'arrius howard. he's 5'11" and 230. the guy is a bruiser. from espn:

Overall: Howard redshirted in 2001. He played in all 14 games in 2002. Served as a backup in 10 games in 2003, when he rushed for 267 yards and six touchdowns on 95 carries. He led all Arkansas RB's in rushing in 2004, finishing with 529 yards and six TD's on 124 carries. As a senior in 2005, Howard rushed for 328 yards and two TD's on 63 carries. Howard was a classic underachiever throughout his career at Arkansas but he flashed enough versatility and natural talent when on the field to spark our interest. Howard also put on an impressive showing at this year's East-West Shrine all-star game, where he displayed an intriguing combination of size, speed and power. He is too much of an enigma to gamble on earlier than the final couple of rounds, but Howard's upside makes him worth the risk late in the 2006 draft.

he averaged: 4.5, 2.8, 4.3, 5.2 ypc at arkansas. i'd really like to see houston give him a shot.

if they were to draft him i think it would be in the 7th round with their supplemental pick i don't think anyone would take him prior to that..can he play special teams? good luck with your wish this late in the draft is the real crapshoot!

Wolf said:
I sense a trade down esp with Casserly talking about a value pick with the 1st pick in the 4th round
Well, you know Charley can't leave the draft without a QB :brickwall

If we are drafting a big RB, then the guy from Brown is my choice. 6'2" 250 or something, 4.55 40.

Frak The Jags said:
Well, you know Charley can't leave the draft without a QB :brickwall

Funny, I don't think Kubiak will let CC get his way. Unless, they consider Mc Neal in 6th or Eugene in 7th...with Rosenfels and Ragone,there is no need.maybe as an UFA.

I'd be OK with McNeal, except I don't see how he would fit into our offense. Personally, I only wanted another RB if we could have gotten D.Williams.

Back