Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Free Agency

Dont like O, he's just an athlete that hasn't developed during his time at Clemson. Typical Clemson trash

I like Jenkins and have him going between 2-64 and 3-75. If Caserio hasn't picked a DT before 2-59 I wouldn't be against Caserio trading up from 3-85 to 3-75 for Jenkins. Solid versatile player.

I like Hall at 3-85, but somebody will pick him before then.

I like Hall, but he is really a 3-4 DE, rather than a true 4-3 DT. His problem is that he only weights 285#lbs and just Autry, he will get blown out by 330 lbs NFL Guards if he tries to play DT on an every down basis. He would be great in passing situations, but he just does not have the mass to stand his ground on running plays.

Henderson seems to be very much like the corner we already signed...highly drafted, size/speed guy who has not figured it out on any kind of regular basis.

Last edited:
Which of the guys under contract do you think they intend to replace/cut?: if we assume Hinish, Gaye, and Agim are eventual cuts/practice squad.. and Horton is on the PUP, you still have 9 guys on the defensive front that the Texans have indicated some level of faith and commitment towards. We won't go into the season with more than 9 DL on the roster... who do you think the Texans actually don't want?:
Anderson
Hunter
Autry
Fatukasi
Settle
Kahlil Davis
M.Edwards
Barnett
Myjai Sanders
Any of the last 5 guys on your list are not locks and are not being paid as such. Hell, I doubt everyone on your list makes it all the way thru camp without being IRed. Especially the older guys. Settle and Edwards feel like Caserio signings from a couple of seasons ago. They can definitely lose their jobs to young talented players yet to be drafted.
Guy I like are Shipley, Laube, Ray Davis, Guerendo in the 4th and McClellan/Milton/Gore Jr. in the 6th.
If I'm not mistaken, you've already traded those picks.

Henderson seems to be very much like the corner we already signed...highly drafted, size/speed guy who has not figured it out on any kind of regular basis.

I like collecting the lottery picks. Low risk/high reward. You get one right and it’s great value. Likelihood of them getting it right in a DeMeco defense with this pass rush is higher than normal.

The Texans have gotten themselves into a pickle at DT. There are still CB's out there in free agency that the Texans can (and should) still sign. Steve Nelson, Stephen Gilmore (age), Tre'davious White (injury), and Xavien Howard are all still available free agents. But at the DT in free agency there is nothing but maybe Teair Tart, who did not seem to mesh at all with the Texans playing style.

The Texans should, sign a free agent Cornerback or two. But at DT, it is a desert out there. And if the Texans do not draft at least one or two 300 (plus) lbs run stuffing DT's early, they will get run over all season long.

If the Texan's don't do address this, every game will pretty much look like the we are are playing Derrick Henry in his prime. RB after RB will be going for over 200 yards up the middle on us. In which case CB won't matter much, because nobody will be passing on us.
Other than Derrick henry, who devastated our defense? Was it not reported that the 2023 defense did a significantly better against the Run than the 2022 defense?

Other than Derrick henry, who devastated our defense? Was it not reported that the 2023 defense did a significantly better against the Run than the 2022 defense?
Jonathan Taylor. Who is pretty good. Lamar Jackson and every Raven that took a handoff. The Texans actually did well vs Henry.

by one measurement: rushing yards per game, we were in the top 10 in 2023. However, the eyeball test was pretty clear: The interior of the defense was definitely a liability in the run game.

We ain't gonna fix everything this season.
This rebuild will take at least another off-season.
Rome wasn't built in a day and Texans are almost out of cap space - $20m left I believe.
And they have yet to hit on all the pieces in the draft.
Sometimes you buy a pretty girl a dozen roses and get a kiss. Then you buy her a box of candy expecting a whole lot more. Sometimes you just have to settle for the second kiss. You decide if the relationship is going the way you want it to. Some of us have a lot more patience than others.

by one measurement: rushing yards per game, we were in the top 10 in 2023. However, the eyeball test was pretty clear: The interior of the defense was definitely a liability in the run game.
IMO, the only importance that is how many points did we give up due to the opponents Run game. I know we discussed that in another thread a few weeks ago.

What we had at DT last year was not great, but at least Collins and Rankins C/C minus type run defenders. What we have on the roster currently is well below that. Davis and Settle are the best we have, and they are C minus to D minus type DT's. The rest of them are worst than that.

If we pick up at least one stud DT in the Draft (two would be better), and pair him with the best of what we already have on the roster, we will probably not get destroyed by peoples running games. I am not worried about any DT's pass rushing game for this year. We have combo DE/DT's that we can play inside on passing downs. What we need is a run stopper that will not be blown out by Nfl 330 lbs OG, play after play.

Sweat would be ideal, if Demeco feels he can function with in the framework of his defensive scheme.

And we lost those tackles. We are going backwards at tackle! We should be building off last year, not putting the car in reverse. If you have run stoppers, you put teams in a lot more 3rd and longs where you pass rushers go to work. I want to give Hunter and Anderson as many shots on QB as possible. It all works together. Hopefully, they add a legit piece or two via draft, trade, or cuts. As it stands right now, tackle is a turd sandwich topped with piss mustard.

And we lost those tackles. We are going backwards at tackle! We should be building off last year, not putting the car in reverse. If you have run stoppers, you put teams in a lot more 3rd and longs where you pass rushers go to work. I want to give Hunter and Anderson as many shots on QB as possible. It all works together. Hopefully, they add a legit piece or two via draft, trade, or cuts. As it stands right now, tackle is a turd sandwich topped with piss mustard.

I totally agree with Porky on this topic. Well played sir, you kept it short and sweet. Unlike my rambling posts.

Sometimes you buy a pretty girl a dozen roses and get a kiss. Then you buy her a box of candy expecting a whole lot more. Sometimes you just have to settle for the second kiss. You decide if the relationship is going the way you want it to. Some of us have a lot more patience than others.
It will be interesting to see if CJ progresses more and what he looks like at seasons end.
I expect to see a more confident CJ this year - last season he did look like a deer in the headlights on occasion so let's see him turn the tables and start scaring more defenses!

Any of the last 5 guys on your list are not locks and are not being paid as such. Hell, I doubt everyone on your list makes it all the way thru camp without being IRed. Especially the older guys. Settle and Edwards feel like Caserio signings from a couple of seasons ago. They can definitely lose their jobs to young talented players yet to be drafted.

If I'm not mistaken, you've already traded those picks.

I would trade up and probably go with a 5-6 player draft class.

Rd.2 Sweat/Pearsall/P. Wilson Trade 3-86/4-123/6-188 for an extra 2nd.
Rd. 4 Elijah Jones CB Boston College
Rd. 7 TE Zach Heins TE South Dakota St.
Rd.7 McClellan RB Alabama.

I would be very happy with this draft class. If a S like Cole Bishop is there in the late 4th I would probably trade a 2025 3rd for him. I really like Bishop.

The stats looked good but when teams decided they were gonna run the 4 minute offense and put the game away the run defense failed.

See: Panthers last drive against the Texans. 2 minute warning in FG range, Texans can’t stop the run and allow the game winning FG as time expired.

Or second Colts game where Texans let the momentum shift when Colts went run heavy. Only thing that stopped Taylor was his injury, otherwise Texans would have likely been watching the playoffs the next week.

The Ravens games. A team that imposed their will running the ball were able to do so last season.

From everyone's comments, it seems like we agree that we need to pick up defensive tackle, cornerback and another wide receiver target for CJ Stroud. We can do that with our first three picks and then if necessary use our two round fours and the six and remaining round sevens to trade up if necessary to get players they want.

From everyone's comments, it seems like we agree that we need to pick up defensive tackle, cornerback and another wide receiver target for CJ Stroud. We can do that with our first three picks and then if necessary use our two round fours and the six and remaining round sevens to trade up if necessary to get players they want.

Looking at the current roster, we need LINEBACKERS! Who is the other starting LB right now: Harris, Al-Shaair, and ?... It sure seems like they have to make significant additions to the LB group. I only see 4-5 LBs on the roster that have any significant NFL snaps at LB... and something tells me Demeco cares about that position as well.

Looking at the current roster, we need LINEBACKERS! Who is the other starting LB right now: Harris, Al-Shaair, and ?... It sure seems like they have to make significant additions to the LB group. I only see 4-5 LBs on the roster that have any significant NFL snaps at LB... and something tells me Demeco cares about that position as well.
If Caserio stands pat I hope he invests in the LB corps in rds 3-4.

To'o To'o is likely our 3rd LB. Behind him there's Del'Shawn Phillips and Jake Hansen.

This will be Hansen's third year. He didn't play much last year but had significant snaps in 2022 and showed some promise.

having said that how do you work it into the draft picks I just mentioned? As most know I have been pushing Payton Wilson at 2.42. It seems like defensive tackle and cornerback should go with that with wide receiver as a luxury.

Curious if the Texans are going to play a bunch more man coverage this year.
He's younger than X. Howard...but not sure which has more talent...I do know that Howard was all over several podcasts talking about how much he wants to come back home and play for the home team...am gonna have to go watch film and compare.
But at least its a position of need...is it a solution..time will tell.

He doesn't want to give any credit to the #1 defense in the league
I give all of the credit in the world to the Ravens D. However if the Texans want to be contenders, they've gotta find a way to score more than 3 points in a playoff game, I dont care who they're playing.

To'o To'o is likely our 3rd LB. Behind him there's Del'Shawn Phillips and Jake Hansen.

This will be Hansen's third year. He didn't play much last year but had significant snaps in 2022 and showed some promise.
I think you just proved a point, they need to draft at least 1 LB, probably 2. Unless you think Too Too is going to improve into a starter level LB?

I give all of the credit in the world to the Ravens D. However if the Texans want to be contenders, they've gotta find a way to score more than 3 points in a playoff game, I dont care who they're playing.

I believe the point they are trying to make is you keep saying "they gotta find a way to score more than 3 points in a playoff game".

Hence "WC, I'm just saying"

The wild card game - is a playoff game - and the Texans did score more than 3 points, 42 more I believe.

So they HAVE found a way to score more than 3 points in a playoff game, just not in THAT playoff game, against a very stout Ravens D, away game, young QB etc. etc.

I believe the point they are trying to make is you keep saying "they gotta find a way to score more than 3 points in a playoff game".

Hence "WC, I'm just saying"

The wild card game - is a playoff game - and the Texans did score more than 3 points, 42 more I believe.

So they HAVE found a way to score more than 3 points in a playoff game, just not in THAT playoff game, against a very stout Ravens D, away game, young QB etc. etc.
My point stands, if y'all want to be technical that's y'alls perogative. Let me clarify, they've gotta be able to score more than 3 -points in any game they play in if they intend on winning a game. Hopefully that clears things up.

Your point is incorrect - since they can and have scored more than three points in a game.

Did they that day, against that team - no - would you be happier if they scored 24 and lost by 10 points? Would we then not need to draft a WR?

I get the premise you're going for, they need more offensive weapons, but repeating that they need to do something they already have to strengthen your argument isn't needed.

Your point is incorrect - since they can and have scored more than three points in a game.

Did they that day, against that team - no - would you be happier if they scored 24 and lost by 10 points? Would we then not need to draft a WR?

I get the premise you're going for, they need more offensive weapons, but repeating that they need to do something they already have to strengthen your argument isn't needed.
Did they score more than 3 points in the last game they played in?

What does any game mean to you?

hey where did that goal post go?
Hopefully I've made myself clear, I should've said in any playoff game or any game for that matter. No goalposts have been moved. I thought this would be easy to understand for everybody, I guess I should've known better.

He's younger than X. Howard...but not sure which has more talent...I do know that Howard was all over several podcasts talking about how much he wants to come back home and play for the home team...am gonna have to go watch film and compare.
But at least its a position of need...is it a solution..time will tell.
Time at the podcasts seemingly worked.

With those dog’s hunting up front, we could play CB on this team lol. Plus I believe Coach Cap and his staff should be able to get the best out of them.
I keep thinking that with our defensive line and current linebackers plus adding one such as Peyton Wilson or even Cooper, would take a lot of heat off of our DBs. Perhaps that's why we are seeing so many lower level players at corner and safety. Especially if Ryan's believes that Petrie will return to previous form?

My point stands, if y'all want to be technical that's y'alls perogative. Let me clarify, they've gotta be able to score more than 3 -points in any game they play in if they intend on winning a game. Hopefully that clears things up.
That's the plan! But you keep harping on the past like that's the future. Your way (picks) is not the only way

That's the plan! But you keep harping on the past like that's the future. Your way (picks) is not the only way
What does them scoring 3 points in a playoff game have to do with my way? BTW, If you checkout my last mock I went mostly defense, I never said my way was the only way. I've finally got faith in the people making the personnel decisions. No more RS/BOB making the kinds of decisions you knew were wrong at the time they were being made.

And yes, Caserio/Ryans should look at the past, learn from it and try their best to shore up the teams weaknesses.

I think the Texans need to score more points while the defense stops the other teams offense from scoring more points than the Texans offense. If they can do that, they should win a lot of games.

Back