Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Free Agency

I'm really happy to see that Barnett is coming back. With that move and the other moves, we're pretty much set at DE and should be one of the best overall DE groups in the league.

We're still weak at D tackle, and that's priority #1 in my mind. This is the one area I think they've screwed the pooch on, and most likely they realize it. So, the guys on the depth chart now - I wouldn't let your seat get warm.

At LB, it's pretty bleak at Sam or Mike. I'm not sure where Al-Shaair will be playing—the other position needs a good starter, and depth overall is lacking.

Corner is a day 2 priority if I am playing GM for the day, and I need Howard/Nelson or someone on that level to sign as a FA and be my #2. Odakah is gravy and a depth piece. If he balls out...all the better but I would not rely on him.

Lastly...give me one Safety that can be a starter-level guy or at least very solid depth via either draft or FA.

Fill in all those puzzle pieces, and I see a top ten defense.
Unlike the consensus on the MB, I think they're content with Fukasi/Settle/Autry and depending on how the draft goes they may not take another DT until the 3rd/4th rd. It's not like Collins was a real difference maker. I could see Ryans looking for an athletic depth piece like Logan Lee, Kristian Boyd etc.. in the 5th/6th rd.

Then use their top picks on a difference making WR/LB/CB/S/RB in rds 3-4.

Let's look at these DL players.

Elite: Will Anderson (#3 overall pick, DROY), Danielle Hunter (4x Pro Bowl, $25 million AAV FA)
Starter: Denico Autry (6 year starter, $10 million AAV), Folorunso Fatukasi (3 year starter, $10 million AAV)
Backup: Tim Settle ($3 Million AAV), Mario Edwards (1 year contract), Derek Barnett (1 year contract), Khalil Davis (1 year contract, SFA)
Fringe: Myjai Sanders (Waivers), Marcus Hayner (SFA), McTelvin Agim (SFA), Kurt Hinish (UDFA), Ali Gaye (UDFA), Dylan Horton (NFI)

I'm not knocking what the Texans have put together so far. But you can see they need some youth and speed added to the mix. Especially considering the number of aging one year deals on the roster. I'd like to see an interior lineman and an edge drafted. Which is why I'm adamantly opposed to throwing away draft picks.

I am looking at the older stouter as a very intentional build. I am sure there was more speed, and quickness available in free agency (I am not going to look).

Is he a JAG or is he still developing? He's 27, but only been in the league 4 years.
He's on Collins level, which is why they let Collins go. He will get 20% more snaps and his production will go up.

A rotation of Davis/Futasi/Settle/Autry is a lot better than most think around these parts. They do need to add another inside rusher like Fiske or Lee. Or a 3 down stud like Sweat. I see Sweat as this generations Casey Hampton. Shout out to Ball.

Elite: Will Anderson (#3 overall pick, DROY), Danielle Hunter (4x Pro Bowl, $25 million AAV FA)
Starter: Denico Autry (6 year starter, $10 million AAV), Folorunso Fatukasi (3 year starter, $10 million AAV)
Backup: Tim Settle ($3 Million AAV), Mario Edwards (1 year contract), Derek Barnett (1 year contract), Khalil Davis (1 year contract, SFA)
Fringe: Myjai Sanders (Waivers), Marcus Hayner (SFA), McTelvin Agim (SFA), Kurt Hinish (UDFA), Ali Gaye (UDFA), Dylan Horton (NFI)

I'm not knocking what the Texans have put together so far. But you can see they need some youth and speed added to the mix. Especially considering the number of aging one year deals on the roster. I'd like to see an interior lineman and an edge drafted. Which is why I'm adamantly opposed to throwing away draft picks.

Folorunso Fatukasi did not sign for $10 million AAV, if he was lucky he got $3 Million. He has been terrible these last two years at Jacksonville, and is lucky to still be in the league. Tim Settle, Khalil Davis, Kurt Hinish, and McTelvin Agim have all been career backups at best.

I am not saying that none of these guy's have any value, because there are several good back ups in this group, which you need. But if you are going into the season asking these guy's and these guy's only, to stop the run, you will be looking at a long very painful season. This group would easily be the worst D-Tackle group in the NFL.

As for the rest that you listed:

Denico Autry can absolutly rush from the tackle position, but at 285 lbs he just does not have enough lead in his ass to be an every down DT.
Myjai Sanders is a 248 lbs DE, not a DT
Marcus Hayner is a 240 lbs LB not a DT
Ali Gaye is a 265 lbs DE, not a DT
Dylan Horton is a 265 lbs DE who because of the cancer, may not play at all this year. If he does play it will not be at DT.

As far as how many bodies we have signed, not all of these names will be on the roster come September. There will be and should be, cuts off of this list, based on training camp performance. But we need some DT's with much better talent than these guy's to come out of the draft, or it will be painful watching our opponets run it up the middle.

I just think when one of their targets gets within range, the plan is to snatch them (my guess is they are very prepared to use a 4th and/or #188 to do it, so somewhere between 34-40.
Caserio said he has guys between 23-40 ranked about the same. I'm guessing he thinks one of these guys will fall to 2-42. I could see Caserio using the picks you suggest to move up from 2-59 if one of the 23-40 guys fall to say 45-50. (No I'm not looking at a trade chart.)

No, I was mainly responding to the idea of giving up the 2025 first to jump back into the first. Nick himself said that he may move back into the first, but I don't think he would use next years 1 to do it
But if a guy like Thomas falls to the late 20's I could see him trading one of the 2025 2nd's in addition to 2-42 to move into the 1st.

We ain't gonna fix everything this season.
This rebuild will take at least another off-season.
Rome wasn't built in a day and Texans are almost out of cap space - $20m left I believe.
And they have yet to hit on all the pieces in the draft.

There is no way we are done with the DL. We are super strong on the edges (likely the best in the NFL). However, our Interior Defensive Tackles are nothing but marshmallows. If you like to see opponents time, after time, run right up the gut on us for 1st downs, then we have the D-tackles signed and on the roster, ready to make that happen.

Collin's and Rankin's weren't great against the run last year, but compared to where we are now, they would be Albert Haynesworth and Ted Washington in their prime.

Currently, one of our 2nd round picks has to be a DT, and we should probably be picking a second one later in the draft (remember that Nick likes to double up on position in the draft) as well. In fact it would not surprise me if both of our 2nd rounders were DT's, that is how bad it current is.

There is basically no Defensive tackle talent left in Free Agency, We missed on Reader and Rankins, and we screwed up the trade with the 49er's. So we have signed numerous back-ups and never were's just to put bodies on the roster.. We need a major talent influx on the interior D-line.

The only place we can acquire the badly needed DT talent is in the draft.
You do realize Davis was pretty darn good as part of a rotation? He was on par if not better than Collins against the run. Futasi was known as a run stopper and listen to JW Casper when it comes to what he thinks about Settle. I do believe Caserio needs to add a DT but it doesn't have to be a high pick. I say this only to say if Newton/Sweat/Fiske fall to 2-42 this would be my pick. Talent > Need.

Rome wasn't built in a day and Texans are almost out of cap space - $20m left I believe.

That is not what the Nick has said thru his actions this off season. There is no more rebuild.

The Texans are trying to make a SB run this year. To do that we need some additional CB help added thru Free Agency, and major DT upgrade, that you can now only get thru the draft.

I just do not see how you consider defensive tackle as a priority over cornerback opposite Stingley. Explain one more time. Are you saying get a defensive tackle like sweat at 42 and a corner at 59? If you reverse that I would be okay.
I would put WR up there too.

Scoring 3 points in a playoff game makes WR a priority at the very least 2-59. If you really just have to have a CB trade back into the 2nd using 3-85, 4-123, 6-188, future picks. But make no mistake WR is as big a need as DT on this team. Give Stroud say Pearsall in the 2nd and Shipley in the 4th and draft defense the rest of the draft.

Here is why I disagree: Nick and Demeco both talk extensively about valuing DL players that have positional flexibility. So, Autry, Mario Edwards are not strictly backups at DE but also situational rotation pieces at DT. Second, most of the off-season resources to this point have gone to the DL position and they have limited remaining resources to utilize to build other position groups which don't have NFL quality depth yet. Finally, I am looking at 10 contracts for DL players that are very likely going to be playing meaningful snaps on an NFL roster. That is more than they will enter the season with.
Posters that think they're going to invest a 2nd rd pick in the DL are most likely going to be disappointed.

The Texans have gotten themselves into a pickle at DT. There are still CB's out there in free agency that the Texans can (and should) still sign. Steve Nelson, Stephen Gilmore (age), Tre'davious White (injury), and Xavien Howard are all still available free agents. But at the DT in free agency there is nothing but maybe Teair Tart, who did not seem to mesh at all with the Texans playing style.

The Texans should, sign a free agent Cornerback or two. But at DT, it is a desert out there. And if the Texans do not draft at least one or two 300 (plus) lbs run stuffing DT's early, they will get run over all season long.

If the Texan's don't do address this, every game will pretty much look like the we are are playing Derrick Henry in his prime. RB after RB will be going for over 200 yards up the middle on us. In which case CB won't matter much, because nobody will be passing on us.
Are Davis/ Futasi and Settle over 300 lbs?

You do realize because of the cancer was pretty darn good as part of a rotation? He was on par if not better than Collins against the run. Futasi was known as a run stopper and listen to JW Casper when it comes to what he thinks about Settle. I do believe Caserio needs to add a DT but it doesn't have to be a high pick. I say this only to say if Newton/Sweat/Fiske fall to 2-42 this would be my pick. Talent > Need.

Davis is a solid backup, as is Settle (who actually maybe a borderline starter). But Folorunso Fatukasi, is not the player he was with the Jets, he has been a sieve against the run for the last 3 years. His PFF grades for run defense are bad.

If we can get Sweat/Fiske/Newton at 42, we can probably make Settle or Davis work as the 2nd starting DT. If Ruke Orhorhoro or Kris Jenkins were there at in the 3rd or 4th, I would think about drafting a 2nd DT this year. I would try to keep Davis or Settle in the rotation as back ups and whoever else really shows out at training camp.

As for Fatukasi, the sooner he gets cut, the better.

Last edited:
I would put WR up there too.

Scoring 3 points in a playoff game makes WR a priority at the very least 2-59. If you really just have to have a CB trade back into the 2nd using 3-85, 4-123, 6-188, future picks. But make no mistake WR is as big a need as DT on this team. Give Stroud say Pearsall in the 2nd and Shipley in the 4th and draft defense the rest of the draft.

I would absolutely take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. But unless a miracle happens (ie Thomas at 42), WR has to come after they have taken the best DT they can get. CB is going to have to be fixed this year, thru FA (Nelson or Howard anyone). As far as LB/RB/TE, these are going to have to be drafted as an opportunities presents themselves during the draft.

At CB I would draft Qwan'Tez Stiggers, in the 6th or 7th on a gamble. He might be a huge steal.

But if they give Stroud the weapons he needs to be successful they can beat any team they play. They're going to have a really good secondary and the best pass rush in the NFL. If Stroud plays like he does last yr and they give him weapons this team will be able to beat anybody. I think WR/CB/LB are their biggest needs.

Adding Mixon was a great start to give Stroud the weapons he needs. An underrated need is a TE that can block really well and be a reliable target in the passing game if they wantthe run game to improve.

Let's estimate that we have 6 potentially impactful moves left to make this off-season. For the sake of this argument, that would be one more significant free agent and five draft picks (42, 59, 86, 122, 126): How would you prioritize, by position group, how to allocate those resources?:

For me, upgrade priorities by position group are:
1. LB - we don't have enough on the roster right now
2. WR - need someone to take the top off.. Noah Brown is a good 4, not a good #3
3. OL (RT and/or G) - position of weakness last year with uncertainties and net losses so far (Fant, Josh Jones)
4. CB - not a lot of consistency from the top down. Lots of youth and question marks
5. RB - could use a gamebreaker or at least quality depth if DP doesn't fix things
6. S - who will Pitre be? will Ward be healthy? King and Murray do some things well but are limited
7. TE - no depth
8. DT - lacking the big athletic 2 gap type that can also collapse the pocket
QB/DE/FB/K/P/LS - we are good to go at these positions

So, the way I see the roster, it is hard for me to see a significant free agent DT or a 2nd round pick for a DT. Would you place DT among the top 3-4 positional needs? why?

Last edited:
I would absolutely take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. But unless a miracle happens (ie Thomas at 42), WR has to come after they have taken the best DT they can get. CB is going to have to be fixed this year, thru FA (Nelson or Howard anyone). As far as LB/RB/TE, these are going to have to be drafted as an opportunities presents themselves during the draft.

At CB I would draft Qwan'Tez Stiggers, in the 6th or 7th on a gamble. He might be a huge steal.
I like McConkey and Pearsall a lot and would pick them over DT at 2-42. I might look at trading back up for a DT in the 45-50 range if Sweat/Fiske fell. Otherwise I would look at McKinley Jackson in the 3rd or Kristian Boyd later.

I've got Stiggers going to the Texans in the 4th. (Much higher than most) Dude has talent and drive, he's also played against better competition than most CB's in this draft. The CFL is a great training ground for DB's.

Let's estimate that we have 6 potentially impactful moves left to make this off-season. For the sake of this argument, that would be one more significant free agent and five draft picks (42, 59, 86, 122, 126): How would you prioritize, by position group, how to allocate those resources?:

For me, upgrade priorities by position group are:
1. LB - we don't have enough on the roster right now
2. WR - need someone to take the top off.. Noah Brown is a good 4, not a good #3
3. OL (RT and/or G) - position of weakness last year with uncertainties and net losses so far (Fant, Josh Jones)
4. CB - not a lot of consistency from the top down. Lots of youth and question marks
5. RB - could use a gamebreaker or at least quality depth if DP doesn't fix things
6. S - who will Pitre be? will Ward be healthy? King and Murray do some things well but are limited
7. TE - no depth
8. DT - lacking the big athletic 2 gap type that can also collapse the pocket
QB/DE/FB/K/P/LS - we are good to guy at these positions

So, the way I see the roster, it is hard for me to see a significant free agent DT or a 2nd round pick for a DT. Would you place DT among the top 3-4 positional needs? why?

I would put CB above OT. But I think they could add an impact S fairly cheap (Diggs) and a CB Nelson or Howard in FA.

I would put CB above OT. But I think they could add an impact S fairly cheap (Diggs) and a CB Nelson or Howard in FA.

Steel, we are definitely on the same page. I am all over the place on what I think they're doing with the OL. In the end, we just don't know what they are thinking about Howard for 2024, we don't really know their confidence level with Scruggs and company at Center, nor do we know what this coaching staff's evaluation of Kenyon Green is... I was surprised they let Fant go so easily and didn't follow that up with signing Jones or someone who could hold up at RT for multiple games if needed and/or backup at other spots.

Steel, we are definitely on the same page. I am all over the place on what I think they're doing with the OL. In the end, we just don't know what they are thinking about Howard for 2024, we don't really know their confidence level with Scruggs and company at Center, nor do we know what this coaching staff's evaluation of Kenyon Green is... I was surprised they let Fant go so easily and didn't follow that up with signing Jones or someone who could hold up at RT for multiple games if needed and/or backup at other spots.

I'm thinking they bring back Jones or trade a 2025 late rd pick for an OT that's on the last yr of his rookie deal like Jones was last yr. I could also see Caserio drafting a developmental guy late in the draft like the guy they brought in for a visit. (Yale guy) or a guy like Rouse.

I like McConkey and Pearsall a lot and would pick them over DT at 2-42. I might look at trading back up for a DT in the 45-50 range if Sweat/Fiske fell. Otherwise I would look at McKinley Jackson in the 3rd or Kristian Boyd later.

I've got Stiggers going to the Texans in the 4th. (Much higher than most) Dude has talent and drive, he's also played against better competition than most CB's in this draft. The CFL is a great training ground for DB's.

I think Pearsall would add a cool dimension to the offense. With Stroud's accuracy, having a pristine route runner in the slot (Wes Welker-ish) would allow Tank to operate on the perimeter more often... Yeah, I can get behind that. I am not sure what I think of McConkey as a prospect. I loved him in college. He clearly belongs in the NFL. I am just not sure I know how he should be utilized.

I think Pearsall would add a cool dimension to the offense. With Stroud's accuracy, having a pristine route runner in the slot (Wes Welker-ish) would allow Tank to operate on the perimeter more often... Yeah, I can get behind that. I am not sure what I think of McConkey as a prospect. I loved him in college. He clearly belongs in the NFL. I am just not sure I know how he should be utilized.

I see both of them as versatile guys like Edelman that probably are better in the slot, but can play out wide. Either one of them would really open things up for Stroud with not only their precise route running (Quick in and out of their breaks like Tank) but they both have the speed to stretch the defense.

But if they give Stroud the weapons he needs to be successful they can beat any team they play. They're going to have a really good secondary and the best pass rush in the NFL. If Stroud plays like he does last yr and they give him weapons this team will be able to beat anybody. I think WR/CB/LB are their biggest needs.

Adding Mixon was a great start to give Stroud the weapons he needs. An underrated need is a TE that can block really well and be a reliable target in the passing game if they wantthe run game to improve.

If we are soft as a pillow up the middle on the Defensive Interior, like we are now, the opposition will run the ball up the middle all day long, and Stroud will not get on the field to beat them.

We have maybe the best edge rushing group of DE's in the NFL on the roster now, but if they ain't passing the ball, you cannot rush the passer. We have to be able to stop the run, or we will lose one ugly game after another, all season long.

I do not want the time of possession to be wildly against us game after game, and I think that is where we are headed for unless we fix DT.

There are no quality DT available thru FA anymore, if they were any good they have been signed. The only way to fix this problem is thru the draft.

WR is a priority, as is RB and TE. But first we need to get at least one big boy (two would be better), that can stuff the run or we are headed for trouble.

If we are soft as a pillow up the middle on the Defensive Interior, like we are now, the opposition will run the ball up the middle all day long, and Stroud will not get on the field to beat them.

We have maybe the best edge rushing group of DE's in the NFL on the roster now, but if they ain't passing the ball, you cannot rush the passer. We have to be able to stop the run, or we will lose one ugly game after another, all season long.

I do not want the time of possession to be wildly against us game after game, and I think that is where we are headed for unless we fix DT.

There are no quality DT available thru FA anymore, if they were any good they have been signed. The only way to fix this problem is thru the draft.

WR is a priority, as is RB and TE. But first we need to get at least one big boy (two would be better), that can stuff the run or we are headed for trouble

Our interior DL was horrible vs. the run this year. We are much more stout in the interior than we were last year. Rankins and Collins were boh essentially average 3 gap DTs... So, they did make a number of plays but they were washed out and bullied frequently in the run game. Watch the Indy game in the last week of the season. Indy could have ran for 300 yards if they were coached better. So, Settle and Fatukasi immediately upgrade the run stuffing interior... and the additions of Autry and Mario Edwards at least match the disruptive ability of Collins and Rankins and will be used accordingly, I believe.

DT's not on the current roster had a combined (solo + assists) 87 tackles last year. That includes 11 sacks... and the Texans only allowed 96.6 ypg against last year (6th). It's not nearly as dire as you are making it out to be

WR is a priority, as is RB and TE. But first we need to get at least one big boy (two would be better), that can stuff the run or we are headed for trouble.
Where we disagree is that they're as soft as you think they are. How would you feel if they hadn't traded Collins?

If Sweat or Fiske are there I'm on board with picking them. But if they're on the board and say McConkey is there and they pick him I will be happy, because they can still comeback and draft a guy like McKinley Jackson at 3-85 to be there run stopper.

I would even be happy if the draft went this way,

2-42 Cooper
2-59 Pearsall
3-86 Jackson,

Where we disagree is that they're as soft as you think they are. How would you feel if they hadn't traded Collins?

If Sweat or Fiske are there I'm on board with picking them. But if they're on the board and say McConkey is there and they pick him I will be happy, because they can still comeback and draft a guy like McKinley Jackson at 3-85 to be there run stopper.

I would even be happy if the draft went this way,

2-42 Cooper
2-59 Pearsall
3-86 Jackson,

Does a Pearsall or McConkey selection mean they are giving up on Metchie? that would sort of my read. I don't see how Metchie gets consideration to make the 53 man roster if they go with a slot WR in the 2nd round.

Does a Pearsall or McConkey selection mean they are giving up on Metchie? that would sort of my read. I don't see how Metchie gets consideration to make the 53 man roster if they go with a slot WR in the 2nd round.
Nope, they provide Metchie competition and save 5 mil in cap space when Woods is cut. That should be enough to pick up a S like Q. Diggs on the cheap.

Nope, they provide Metchie competition and save 5 mil in cap space when Woods is cut. That should be enough to pick up a S like Q. Diggs on the cheap.

That's interesting. I don't think they cut Woods for that roster spot unless since they have kept him to this point... I think he has value to them as a blocker and a reliable vet. I thought they would've cut Woods already if they were going to do that- isn't it a bit of a bad look to hang on to vet like that and then cut them after the free agency money has dried up?

You do realize Davis was pretty darn good as part of a rotation? He was on par if not better than Collins against the run. Futasi was known as a run stopper and listen to JW Casper when it comes to what he thinks about Settle. I do believe Caserio needs to add a DT but it doesn't have to be a high pick. I say this only to say if Newton/Sweat/Fiske fall to 2-42 this would be my pick. Talent > Need.

Curious about your thoughts on Hall, Orhorhoro, and Jenkins??? Where would you take them if at all? Also, do you like Cooper or Wilson better?

Last edited:
Our interior DL was horrible vs. the run this year. We are much more stout in the interior than we were last year. Rankins and Collins were boh essentially average 3 gap DTs... So, they did make a number of plays but they were washed out and bullied frequently in the run game. Watch the Indy game in the last week of the season. Indy could have ran for 300 yards if they were coached better. So, Settle and Fatukasi immediately upgrade the run stuffing interior... and the additions of Autry and Mario Edwards at least match the disruptive ability of Collins and Rankins and will be used accordingly, I believe.

Last year’s run defense was a mirage. The numbers looked good against teams who were able to pass on the Texans. When teams focused on running the ball, the Texans couldn’t stop it. See: The Colts until Taylor hurt his ankle 4th quarter, the Ravens, end of Panthers/Falcons games when defense couldn’t get off the field.

Collins/Rankins were basically game time decisions and walking wounded at the same time Anderson/Greenard were last season. But the worry wasn’t if we were getting any snaps out of the DTs. It was if the edge guys could give the team any snaps.

I trust DeMeco/Caserio will have a plan to address the DT position. Collins was no longer part of their plan. Rankins would have been but they couldn’t agree on money. If the situation is as dire as some see it, they will address it accordingly. This regime is not the type to be reactive towards problem areas of the roster. This is the most proactive GM in the league. You need one player for a position? Nick will find you two or three and let the competition sort itself out.

PS: I am excited to see Al-Shaiir fit into this team. I was listening to Seth Payne on youtube and he was talking about Al-Shaiir wearing the green dot. He thinks the LBs will be more disciplined with their assignments overall with Al-Shaiir this season. Plus he brings an old school thumper play style to the unit (that is not a liability in coverage like Perryman). That alone will help the run defense.

That is not what the Nick has said thru his actions this off season. There is no more rebuild.

The Texans are trying to make a SB run this year. To do that we need some additional CB help added thru Free Agency, and major DT upgrade, that you can now only get thru the draft.
That was my point - if the draft picks hit.
Yes, they have a good situation to come to here and FO showed last season they can get it right, but it is still a little bit of a lottery.

I would like another RB in case Pierce is a one hit wonder. I do think he will be better than last season, but how much?
We need at least someone who can give us 800 yards I reckon in addition to Mixons hopefully 1000+.

I am sure there was more speed, and quickness available in free agency (I am not going to look).
The Texans were in on Brian Burns.
Folorunso Fatukasi did not sign for $10 million AAV, if he was lucky he got $3 Million.
That's what was reported at the time. Though I have not seen signing numbers since. Who knows?
Yes. That's why I listed that d-line roster. Aging vets and fringe roster players are abundant. Ryans has said he wanted a dominant defensive front. It all starts there. They're at player away, minimum. A WR would be nice. A young CB, though there won't be day 1 starters where the Texans are selecting. I still believe they need to address RT. But if you believe DeMeco Ryans that the defensive line is a priority, the Texans need to do more.

I still think they are going to get back into the first round. A pick on Thursday at the cost of the 25 first round pick

I still don't understand this, the highest he could realistically move up is about 25 otherwise he will have spent way more than he got just to move up to a spot that is worse or at best the same as where he started from. I could see Panthers or Browns doing this but Nick and DeMeco have shown themselves to be chess players while those teams are barely playing candy land. The ONLY way I can possibly see this is if something comes out on one of the top guys right before the draft like it did on Tunsil and they start free falling. Even then I don't realistically see it because to free fall all the way to the 20s it would have to be something really bad which then why would Texans take them either? To me this more plays into the idea that they make a push this year but also test the waters to see what holes and weaknesses they still have then next year is the true all in year. If thats the case that 2nd next year from the Vikings will look very appealing.

The Texans were in on Brian Burns.

That's what was reported at the time. Though I have not seen signing numbers since. Who knows?

Yes. That's why I listed that d-line roster. Aging vets and fringe roster players are abundant. Ryans has said he wanted a dominant defensive front. It all starts there. They're at player away, minimum. A WR would be nice. A young CB, though there won't be day 1 starters where the Texans are selecting. I still believe they need to address RT. But if you believe DeMeco Ryans that the defensive line is a priority, the Texans need to do more.

Which of the guys under contract do you think they intend to replace/cut?: if we assume Hinish, Gaye, and Agim are eventual cuts/practice squad.. and Horton is on the PUP, you still have 9 guys on the defensive front that the Texans have indicated some level of faith and commitment towards. We won't go into the season with more than 9 DL on the roster... who do you think the Texans actually don't want?:
Anderson
Hunter
Autry
Fatukasi
Settle
Kahlil Davis
M.Edwards
Barnett
Myjai Sanders

Which of the guys under contract do you think they intend to replace/cut?: if we assume Hinish, Gaye, and Agim are eventual cuts/practice squad.. and Horton is on the PUP, you still have 9 guys on the defensive front that the Texans have indicated some level of faith and commitment towards. We won't go into the season with more than 9 DL on the roster... who do you think the Texans actually don't want?:
Anderson
Hunter
Autry
Fatukasi
Settle
Kahlil Davis
M.Edwards
Barnett
Myjai Sanders

I know a lot of individuals here feel the Texans have underwhelmed at DT, but as quoted here and above the Texans aren’t carrying more than 9/10 Defensive Lineman. Of the list above, Myjai would be my only chopping block candidate at that has us at 8/9 rotational pieces. It doesn’t eliminate my desire to add a DT in the draft, but from what I can tell the Texans have just about maxed out their defensive line assets from both a financial angle and a roster building angle. I believe Nick and Cap feel confident with Settle Fatukasi Edwards and Anderson on clear rushing downs with a multitude of bodies for pass rushing situations. I still like a DT to fall to one of our second round picks and I feel Nick feels the same way, but if he pivots for BPA I wouldn’t be surprised because the Texans have absolutely sunk resources into the defensive line already. The run stopping grades on the four I mentioned above are more than adequate going into the season.

Defensive tackle is job #1. Period. Full stop. What they have on the roster now is going to get them killed up the middle. This group sucks like a Hoover on steroids. And DeMeco made a point that he wanted to upgrade up front. They have done the exact opposite of upgrade. They are way worse at tackle than last year. Give me Sweat. We have nobody nobody even close to that body type. My only Concern is he a 3-4 nose?

Defensive tackle is job #1. Period. Full stop. What they have on the roster now is going to get them killed up the middle. This group sucks like a Hoover on steroids. And DeMeco made a point that he wanted to upgrade up front. They have done the exact opposite of upgrade. They are way worse at tackle than last year. Give me Sweat. We have nobody nobody even close to that body type. My only Concern is he a 3-4 nose?

You keep returning to your opinion of what the texans have at DT. What matters regarding the draft is what Nick and Demeco think about DT. What makes you think they agree with you? Everything I have seen this off-season suggests the Texans believe they have significantly upgraded the position with the guys you keep dismissing. Perhaps what you mean is that you think they need to upgrade the position and you are hoping it happens.

No, I was mainly responding to the idea of giving up the 2025 first to jump back into the first. Nick himself said that he may move back into the first, but I don't think he would use next years 1 to do it

Honestly I think that was more smoke and mirrors or at least to keep his options open. Given how much it would take to trade even back to 23 where they were I don't see it happening unless there is someone that falls that they didn't expect to be there.

...My only Concern is he a 3-4 nose?
Yes, he is a prototypical nose. But not just. He can line up in the 1 technique as well as the 0. His strength allowed him ( in college at least) to be a 1 gapper and wreck havoc penetrating and collapsing the pocket, if he was one on one. When double teamed his strength allows him to be an unmovable 2 gapper. He did play a little, a little, out wider at the 3 technique. His physical limitations though nostly keeps him in a 0 technique/1 technique phonebooth. My question is whether he is a fit for Ryans defense.

Yes, he is a prototypical nose. But not just. He can line up in the 1 technique as well as the 0. His strength allowed him ( in college at least) to be a 1 gapper and wreck havoc penetrating and collapsing the pocket, if he was one on one. When double teamed his strength allows him to be an unmovable 2 gapper. He did play a little, a little, out wider at the 3 technique. His physical limitations though nostly keeps him in a 0 technique/1 technique phonebooth. My question is whether he is a fit for Ryans defense.

That has been my question also. He obviously would stuff the run like nobody else in this draft. But can he move well enough to meet the other requirements, that Demeco needs his DT to have (ie lateral quickness, and gap flexibility). I guess i am just going to trust in Nick on these questions. He has been a lot more right than wrong on his picks.

Just so we will know

Curious about your thoughts on Hall, Orhorhoro, and Jenkins??? Where would you take them if at all? Also, do you like Cooper or Wilson better?
Dont like O, he's just an athlete that hasn't developed during his time at Clemson. Typical Clemson trash

I like Jenkins and have him going between 2-64 and 3-75. If Caserio hasn't picked a DT before 2-59 I wouldn't be against Caserio trading up from 3-85 to 3-75 for Jenkins. Solid versatile player.

I like Hall at 3-85, but somebody will pick him before then.

I would like another RB in case Pierce is a one hit wonder. I do think he will be better than last season, but how much?
We need at least someone who can give us 800 yards I reckon in addition to Mixons hopefully 1000+.
Guy I like are Shipley, Laube, Ray Davis, Guerendo in the 4th and McClellan/Milton/Gore Jr. in the 6th.

Back