Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Free Agency

Conklin was a mess of injuries (including an ACL rupture that ended his season in week 1) ever since he returned from his right patellar tendon tear (his was not a complete rupture). The Chiefs OT Lucas Niang returned after his patellar rupture, never to start again. Position makes a difference in these injuries. Heavy large linemen who play against great resistance play with extreme stresses to the patellar tendons. BTW, surgical repairs of these particular injuries as well as rehab techniques have shown very little modification in the last 2 decades.
That's not sounding positive and makes me hope they've got a plan B lined up for RT.

There is no safety comparable to a 1400 + yard wide receiver on a great contract at Brown's age.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Browns cap hit the next three seasons is 27, 22 and 37 million (starting this NFL year). Not sure I'd call that a great contract

Overthecap.com has updated the Texans effective cap space. A small increase to $18M. Probably to reflect the Minn trade of 1-23. I had the right idea, just read the numbers incorrectly early this morning. We should see another uptick if Mason's contract is reworked.

There is absolutely no way you can say that it wouldn't happen. It probably won't but there is still a chance.
Tennessee isn't trading away AJ Brown while trying to develop their young QB... and certainly not to an inner-division rival... but, you are correct that it is within the realm of possibilities, statistically speaking. My money would be on AJ Brown being struck by lightning in the next 6 months being more likely than a trade to Houson.

(major brain fart, deserving of not being deleted so anyone wanting to take a shot at me as good ammo)

Tennessee isn't trading away AJ Brown while trying to develop their young QB... and certainly not to an inner-division rival... but, you are correct that it is within the realm of possibilities, statistically speaking. My money would be on AJ Brown being struck by lightning in the next 6 months being more likely than a trade to Houson.

Unless Philly traded AJ back to Tennessee that wouldn't be possible.

This is one dude I definitely would love to have on the team
2 year deal - just in case Howard is not up to par yet with his injury.
Excellent player with boo koo experience.
I like Baktiari very much. So hold off on throwing the tomatoes when I give the hard cold facts..............

Since his ACL rupture suffered Dec 2021, Baktiari has had nonstop problems with his knee. During his ACL surgery, he was found to have damage to his lateral meniscus.......The lateral meniscus is an essential shock absorber on the outside (lateral) aspect of the knee joint. It absorbs about 70% of the shock (the medial meniscus only about 30%). In addition, he was found to have significant articular cartilage damage.

Since the ACL surgery, he has hardly been able to play. He has had continual fluid buildup in the knee, and from what I have been able to discover, he has undergone multiple drainages of his knee and at least 3 arthroscopic cleanouts for floating cartilage fragments. He has been treated with all the more conservative treatments available with no success. His articular joint surfaces are eroded with multiple significant defects. From what I can determine, he will undoubtedly be scheduled to undergo cartilage grafting vs microfracture in the near future.

His career could very well be very compromised if not over.

There goes Fuller - after Curl the next safety with a very reasonable contract. Wonder if we simply don’t want to sign one and just try to draft one somewhere in the middle rounds…

There goes Fuller - after Curl the next safety with a very reasonable contract. Wonder if we simply don’t want to sign one and just try to draft one somewhere in the middle rounds…
I kind of forgot they’ve got Jimmy Ward, because of the 1 year structure of many of their contracts and the feeling he didn’t ’prove it’. I wonder if their plan is Ward/Pitre/Houston-Carson. I know Murray gets bagged but he seemed to play above his reputation before injury. Maybe they are content to invest a late draft pick into that mix and undervalue the Safety position like the rest of the league is currently.

Thats where I'm at too...why?
And why trade Malik for...a 7th?
Why? Maliks a better player than any 7th round picks gonna be, and he's still under contract.
I do not think the trade should be looked at as Malik for a 7th. It was purely a cap increase move that hopefully will bring us a starter at some position that would be better for us than Malik Collins.

I do not think the trade should be looked at as Malik for a 7th. It was purely a cap increase move that hopefully will bring us a starter at some position that would be better for us than Malik Collins.
We have no DTs now.
We traded a starter and created a hole in a position where there was none before the trade.

Thats where I'm at too...why?
And why trade Malik for...a 7th?
Why? Maliks a better player than any 7th round picks gonna be, and he's still under contract.

I like the trade with the Vikings. I do not like the trade to the 49ers. At. All.

I'm not sure what the thinking is there. Once Arik Armstead fell through, just cancel the trade and keep Collins. There's absolutely no reason to trade him for a 7th in the absence of a corresponding move to upgrade the position. Nobody can convince me it makes sense...unless/until there's a corresponding move. We haven't seen it yet.

While Collins isn't an All-Pro, he's been a solid starter and generally pretty durable, and he's also under a reasonable contract. So....I'm sort of lost on the thinking. Why the salary dump there? I don't get it.

While Collins isn't an All-Pro, he's been a solid starter and generally pretty durable, and he's also under a reasonable contract. So....I'm sort of lost on the thinking. Why the salary dump there? I don't get it.
Culture fit? He wasn't Ryans guy

CND mentioned that Collins has a degenerative hip condition, so his effectiveness going forward will probably be limited. This could have been a situation of trying to get something before you can't get anything. Based on his past performance, I would have thought he would have been worth a mid-round pick, but the injury may have lowered his value.

I think it's weird to do the trade over a month before the draft. It seems like there's more prospect evaluation that could be done and I think they would still have the opportunity to trade out of the first round later. However, I can understand the logic of the move.
Cluster of players from 21-50

Reactions: JB
Agreed but even a below average lineman that knows the playback and has practiced with the team is better than whatever scrappings you can find mid-season when your starter is down.

It's a move they wanted to make... not one they were forced to. Collins probably isn't a guy that would be helpful as a rotational bench piece and one of the challenges the Texans must consider is: roster spots and playing time for young, ascending players on the roster now and players about to be added. My guess as to what happened: they were trading Collins away to get Armstead. When the Armstead deal went through, the Texans decided to still move Collins, get something back, and create a hole in the roster to be filled with a player they are trying to pursue and/or planning to grab some youth and let them compete/rotate/get valuable game reps.

Has there been an official an announcement for Foley Fatukasi?

I don’t think there has been and I wonder what the hold up is.

Cluster of players from 21-50
Yep, if you draft well in the 2nd round you get a really good player, there is a much lower cap $ tag, they even tend to cost less when it comes time to resign them because there is a ‘former first round pick’ tax for players that work out.

im sure the rookie cap pool and that 5th year option tolling the same time as you need to re-up both CJ and WAj play into it, and well done to Nick for looking that far ahead (can’t chase down Mahomes during CJs rookie contract only!).

Some people have a Super Bowl or bust mentality, but actually we should be pleased that they are looking to be good long term with plenty of SB shots. Brady has set the records and Pat has a head start on chasing them down, this is where
the Texans need to set the bar.

Last draft the Texans gave up those really good picks to go get 2 generational talents right at the top of the draft, the best 2 players in that draft it would seem. This year some are worried that the sky is falling because of 1 or 2 glaring holes in the roster, those get filled nicely in round 2 and having 4 of them instead of 3 over the next 2 years is great.

I kind of forgot they’ve got Jimmy Ward, because of the 1 year structure of many of their contracts and the feeling he didn’t ’prove it’. I wonder if their plan is Ward/Pitre/Houston-Carson. I know Murray gets bagged but he seemed to play above his reputation before injury. Maybe they are content to invest a late draft pick into that mix and undervalue the Safety position like the rest of the league is currently.
I think they are willing to go with the four you have mentioned. I think they believe that Jalen Petrie will recover from last year. I would certainly hope that for him and Pierce.

I like the trade with the Vikings. I do not like the trade to the 49ers. At. All.

I'm not sure what the thinking is there. Once Arik Armstead fell through, just cancel the trade and keep Collins. There's absolutely no reason to trade him for a 7th in the absence of a corresponding move to upgrade the position. Nobody can convince me it makes sense...unless/until there's a corresponding move. We haven't seen it yet.

You think the 49ers would just be okay with canceling the agreement?

So the team that attempted to trade for Aric knows something bad about him and they didnt want him. Now the excuse-o-meter is now permanently broken.
CND mentioned that Collins has a degenerative hip condition, so his effectiveness going forward will probably be limited. This could have been a situation of trying to get something before you can't get anything. Based on his past performance, I would have thought he would have been worth a mid-round pick, but the injury may have lowered his value.
It's a move they wanted to make... not one they were forced to. Collins probably isn't a guy that would be helpful as a rotational bench piece and one of the challenges the Texans must consider is: roster spots and playing time for young, ascending players on the roster now and players about to be added. My guess as to what happened: they were trading Collins away to get Armstead. When the Armstead deal went through, the Texans decided to still move Collins, get something back, and create a hole in the roster to be filled with a player they are trying to pursue and/or planning to grab some youth and let them compete/rotate/get valuable game reps.

The Armstead trade which included Collins as a cap dump did not fall through because the Texans backed out. The trade fell through when the 49ers examined Collins' medicals thoroughly.

Back