Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Haener... so some of us are good with 6'1" 201 pound QBs, but 5'11" 190'ish pound QBs is where we draw the line?

(not really directed at any particular poster - just strikes me as odd)
5th round or later vs. a top 5 pick. I'd much rather have the 6'-1" QB in the 5th round than the 5'-10" QB in the first round. Now, I'd take that 5'-10" QB in the 5th round also, so there is that.

What are the draftnik’s thoughts on Henry To’o To’o out of Alabama? I think he would look great as the MIKE paired with his old teammate Christian Harris. Would be interesting if DeMeco picks up an Alabama MLB at #33 just like where he was drafted. May be a tad early but the importance of securing the position is worth it imo.

Last edited:
What are the draftnik’s thoughts on Henry To’o To’o out of Alabama? I think he would look great as the MIKE paired with his old teammate Christian Harris. Would be interesting if DeMeco picks up an Alabama MLB at #33 just like where he was drafted. May be a tad early but the importance of securing the position is worth it imo.
not sure I am a draftnik, I like to get value with rd1 and early rd2, then as the draft develops trade up in the mid to late second if you see one of your guys at value, and that is where I see him. 50-60, so 33 is just a little too early. Looking at STEELB, he seems to say damn where they should go, and gets the guys he wants. I guess I feel better getting them at the last second then ***** when I miss out. So ok on player, 33 is too early and see better LB's at 33. I am going to trust DeMeco to get the LB he wants where he wants though, and could be top of 2nd.

I really want ILB- Jack Campbell out of Iowa. This guy is a 6-5, 249 lb wrap-up tackling machine. He's going to fill the running lanes and possesses the ability to drop back into the zone and take that area away from the QB b/c of his height and long arms. I'd rely on my other target (SS- JL Skinner -Boise State- 6-4 @ 221 lbs) to be a massive nuisance to the TE's trying to stretch the zone or take advantage of the seam.

Last edited:
I really want ILB- Jack Ryans out of Iowa. This guy is a 6-5, 249 lb wrap-up tackling machine. He's going to fill the running lanes and possesses the ability to drop back into the zone and take that area away from the QB b/c of his height and long arms. I'd rely on my other target (SS- JL Skinner -Boise State- 6-4 @ 221 lbs) to be a massive nuisance to the TE's trying to stretch the zone or take advantage of the seam.
Jack Campbell? Ryans on your mind! I have mocked him several times to the Texans in the 2nd

I really want ILB- Jack Ryans out of Iowa. This guy is a 6-5, 249 lb wrap-up tackling machine. He's going to fill the running lanes and possesses the ability to drop back into the zone and take that area away from the QB b/c of his height and long arms. I'd rely on my other target (SS- JL Skinner -Boise State- 6-4 @ 221 lbs) to be a massive nuisance to the TE's trying to stretch the zone or take advantage of the seam.
I think you mean Jack Campbell Linebacker Iowa | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com). He's one of LB's I have rated high as well. He'll probably go mid 2nd.

I've seen a lot of talented college players that have failed in the NFL. There was a great college CB from K-State. He got drafted into the NFL, but after a season or two, he decided he couldn't handle the punishment, so he quit, and started working for an attorney in Houston.

Of course there are busts. Not everyone translates at the next level. That's why it is such a crapshoot. But if you're going to make a living on 5th rounders you won't last very long.

Of course there are busts. Not everyone translates at the next level. That's why it is such a crapshoot. But if you're going to make a living on 5th rounders you won't last very long.
Well, I'm not going to take my chances on a QB that is smaller than that CB that couldn't handle the pounding of the NFL. I would take a chance on that QB later in the draft, but I'm not going to use a first round pick on a guy that I worry is too small to handle the pounding in the NFL.

If DeMeco wants to become the 49er's D he will draft Jalen Carter at #2.
Meh, there are some nice IDLs to be had lower down, but that could be said for edge as well. Keannu Benton Wisc is one, and Saiki Ika, Mazi Smith and Calijah Kancey among others.
Isaiah Foskey Edge top of the 2nd if available.
My point is DL is a strength of this draft so perhaps other positions should be looked at with those top two picks - think about it, do we need the best IDL in this, or would one of the aforementioned ones do the job?
QB is something we cannot ignore with such a high pick.

Meh, there are some nice IDLs to be had lower down, but that could be said for edge as well. Keannu Benton Wisc is one, and Saiki Ika, Mazi Smith and Calijah Kancey among others.
My point is DL is a strength of this draft so perhaps other positions should be looked at with those top two picks - think about it, do we need the best IDL in this, or would one of the aforementioned ones do the job?
We just disagree on the QB. We don't need to spend a high pick on a QB this year.

I'll pass on Ika. I'll also pass on Bresee. I just wasn't impressed with him. Bresee probably wouldn't even be talked about as a first round pick if not for Myles Murphy.

Mazi Smith would be a great alongside Carter. Kancey would be another good choice, but he needs to add some weight. Beyond that, the talent at DT drops off quite a bit. Likewise, after the first 3 or 4 DE's, the talent level really drops off.

I have been playing mocks trading down to Indy @ 4. Get their 2nd and third at least. I see 5-6 players we can go for so would trade back to 4, and maybe be willing to go down again depending what happens. Been able to consistently get two of these guys below by trading back and then using the 1.12 plus what received in trades. QB (Bryce, Stroud, Levis), EDGE (Anderson, Wilson, Murphy) DL (Carter, Breese). This assumes we have enough holes that getting a QB and other stud on defense without being so worried about which one is better than a QB and then WR at 12. In some, was able to get two of these guys and get back up for Quentin at WR. I get in the real world maybe people won't do the trades I have been getting, so maybe it is a pipe dream, but basically saying get a few greats from the draft versus so worried about a single guy.

We just disagree on the QB. We don't need to spend a high pick on a QB this year.

I'll pass on Ika. I'll also pass on Bresee. I just wasn't impressed with him. Bresee probably wouldn't even be talked about as a first round pick if not for Myles Murphy.

Mazi Smith would be a great alongside Carter. Kancey would be another good choice, but he needs to add some weight. Beyond that, the talent at DT drops off quite a bit. Likewise, after the first 3 or 4 DE's, the talent level really drops off.
Bresee I think will slide out of the top 15.
The extra 1st this year is a bonus.
We can get our choice of a QB PLUS a high quality player at another position.
When you do not have a franchise QB and you have a shot at one you think could be very good, you take it - every year until you hit.
Unless and this is the one caveat, you can get a good one in FA. That is not a guarantee in a QB hungry league and might cost you more than our #2 pick.

Bresee I think will slide out of the top 15.
The extra 1st this year is a bonus.
We can get our choice of a QB PLUS a high quality player at another position.
When you do not have a franchise QB and you have a shot at one you think could be very good, you take it - every year until you hit.
Unless and this is the one caveat, you can get a good one in FA. That is not a guarantee in a QB hungry league and might cost you more than our #2 pick.
That's just it, I don't see a franchise quality QB in this draft. Levis and Richardson may turn out to be, but they will need a year to sit and learn. There is no QB in this draft that I am confident could come in and start right away. Because of that, I'm not drafting a QB in the top 15. If I'm going to sit a QB for a year, why not wait until the 3rd or 4th and draft Hooker? If you are going to sit a QB for a year, why not just wait until next year when the QB class is better? We have too many holes to worry about a QB this year that wouldn't be ready to play.

That's just it, I don't see a franchise quality QB in this draft. Levis and Richardson may turn out to be, but they will need a year to sit and learn. There is no QB in this draft that I am confident could come in and start right away. Because of that, I'm not drafting a QB in the top 15. If I'm going to sit a QB for a year, why not wait until the 3rd or 4th and draft Hooker? If you are going to sit a QB for a year, why not just wait until next year when the QB class is better? We have too many holes to worry about a QB this year that wouldn't be ready to play.

What Mills has shown us so far is at the least he is going to be a good and reliable backup QB. You need those, you really need those. He has shown a few times that he can be good, but inconsistency is Mills middle name. With that said, I'm still in the camp to take your franchise QB next year and build the trenches this year.

I would rather get Drew Sanders and would be willing to spend 1-12 on him. Want to improve the LB corps in one offseason? Draft Sanders at 1-12, sign Edmunds in FA. Good thing is Sanders can play edge in pass rushing situations.

Harris/Sanders/Edmunds and you've taken a weakness and made it a strength with young fast playmakers in one offseason.

not sure I am a draftnik, I like to get value with rd1 and early rd2, then as the draft develops trade up in the mid to late second if you see one of your guys at value, and that is where I see him. 50-60, so 33 is just a little too early. Looking at STEELB, he seems to say damn where they should go, and gets the guys he wants. I guess I feel better getting them at the last second then ***** when I miss out. So ok on player, 33 is too early and see better LB's at 33. I am going to trust DeMeco to get the LB he wants where he wants though, and could be top of 2nd.

Exactly

You gotta get the guys you believe in.

I don't get the aversion to Stroud.
The main excuse I see is that he had a good team around him, but what if he made them better and they fed off each other? Teams usually go the way of their QB - that being said, what happened to Alabama? Top flight coach and SEC quality guys around their QB yet they didn't enjoy the success of OS!
Sure Stroud may not have the same quality by comparison given the tougher NFL competition, but you can still give him some weapons.
The main point is, and everyone needs to remember this, he will be a rookie and they usually have a steep learning curve and take time to adjust. Add to that, how many teams expect to go to the SB with a rookie? Look at Lawrence - looked mediocre his rookie season but going forward, is going to be decent.
If you don't try, you will never hit on one and next year's crop of QBs is not a given.
We will look pretty silly if Stroud or Young look to have potential on another team - like Colts for example.

Man just think if Ryans drafts Carter and Drew Sanders in the 1st and brings in Edmunds/Ward/Ebukan.

A total defensive transformation in 1 offseason. Then concentrate the rest of the draft on improving the run game. TE/2 IOL in rds 2-3 and a RB in rd 4. Keep Cooks and see if you can draft a guy like Marvin Mims deep threat after trading back into the 4th.

In 2024 draft your QB/WR and let them grow together.

I don't get the aversion to Stroud.
The main excuse I see is that he had a good team around him, but what if he made them better and they fed off each other? Teams usually go the way of their QB - that being said, what happened to Alabama? Top flight coach and SEC quality guys around their QB yet they didn't enjoy the success of OS!
Sure Stroud may not have the same quality by comparison given the tougher NFL competition, but you can still give him some weapons.
The main point is, and everyone needs to remember this, he will be a rookie and they usually have a steep learning curve and take time to adjust. Add to that, how many teams expect to go to the SB with a rookie? Look at Lawrence - looked mediocre his rookie season but going forward, is going to be decent.
If you don't try, you will never hit on one and next year's crop of QBs is not a given.
We will look pretty silly if Stroud or Young look to have potential on another team - like Colts for example.

He doesn't have any outstanding physical traits. He's going to be a good QB in the Goff/Carr range. I want more than that if I'm drafting a QB at 1-2. Then add in if he's in the Goff/Carr range his agent is going to hold the franchise hostage in 3 yrs and ruin the cap, making it impossible to win a championship. Pass

The number one, highest priority, draft decision that needs to be decided is whether to draft a qb at 1/2. DeMeco needs to get his OC and QB coach signed ASAP and get them studying film on Mills, Young and Stroud. And the Combine is only a month away. Can they work with Mills? Is Young or Stroud worth that 1/2 pick? After hiring a coaching staff, the next most important decision revolves around the quarterback. The intire draft day strategy depends on this decision.

He doesn't have any outstanding physical traits. He's going to be a good QB in the Goff/Carr range. I want more than that if I'm drafting a QB at 1-2. Then add in if he's in the Goff/Carr range his agent is going to hold the franchise hostage in 3 yrs and ruin the cap, making it impossible to win a championship. Pass
I don't think we should be ignoring his body of work in the NCAAF. Sure, it is a step up into the NFL, but don't all the NFL QBs come through the college ranks?
You gotta be in it to win it - the QB stakes that is.
Now, if you know you are going to secure the services of a decent seasoned vet, then that is another story.

I’ve been very clear. I liked Mills the player. I didn’t like drafting a QB with that pick for this team at that time.

if we’re drafting a QB two drafts later it was a wasted pick. A pick made with little foresight.
Hmm...Team needs a QB...hmm.
In hindsight other than edge, there was not another move they could have made that would have been more successful - especially when you consider the poor quality of coaching we've had.

I like this draft IF we keep our current picks. Think I would rather an Edge or OL but this kid Mayer is really good. Potential as a safety net as well if a rookie QB starts. After watching some film he is a good but not great blocker. Route running can be coached and he is not awful. Just not amazing.

2- Houston Texans
2023 Mock Draft Latest Call: Will Levis QB Kentucky

Go ahead and pick your quarterback of choice here. Sticking with one basic belief – Levis is going to destroy the offseason workouts as he grows into the possible No. 1 overall pick.

12- Houston Texans (from Cleveland)
2023 Mock Draft Latest Call: Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame

Assuming Houston doesn’t trade away picks to move up to the 1, and assuming it goes with a quarterback with its first selection, here’s the shot to get a potentially elite safety valve receiver.

I wish I had your optimism! ;)

Seriously, tho', I completely get the hype around Young. I wish we had a franchise that I believed could develop him. But this franchise will David Carr the kid. I know it in my soul.

Here's the rub from a recent scouting report:

The only major negative we can find to Young is his susceptibility to injury, and while playing behind an elite (for the most part) Tide offensive line he's been able to stay on the field - behind a subpar basement-dwelling pro line things could turn bad, quickly. This is a potentially serious issue - any team that drafts him will need to have the team to keep him upright.

The bolded is exactly my concerns. This franchise is not the one to act like they will surround him with what he needs to succeed.

I'll root for the kid if he's their pick. Once he's a Texan, then it's all aboard. So these are just thoughts pre-draft. My confidence in the Texans is at an all time low, so I'll be the first to admit that my perspectives are biased and extremely pessimistic.

If you have watched some film, he has other issues as well. He cleaned up some between last year and this year. But, they are still there. Just not as bad, other issues are just as bad

Man just think if Ryans drafts Carter and Drew Sanders in the 1st and brings in Edmunds/Ward/Ebukan.

A total defensive transformation in 1 offseason. Then concentrate the rest of the draft on improving the run game. TE/2 IOL in rds 2-3 and a RB in rd 4. Keep Cooks and see if you can draft a guy like Marvin Mims deep threat after trading back into the 4th.

You got visions of sugar plums dancing in your head.

No offense, but 1.12 is way too high for Sanders IMO. If we are looking at a LB at 1.12 Trenton Simpson or Noah Sewell would be the only ones I'd consider, and I think even they are a reach at 1.12.

Also, I know you want to get a TE, but I just don't see that as a big need. I think we have 2 decent ones already, and can get another in free agency.

A one gap DT is not really a good fit for Ryans defense. He'll look for IDL that can absorb blockers and allow the LBs to roam. Also, larger DEs like Tyree Wilson, Keion White, and Lukas Van Ness may be preferred.
I have watched several Jalen Carter games. It is not uncommon to see him line up in the 0 position, the A gap, the B gap, the 1, 3 and 5 technique. Regardless, in most situations, offenses double-team Carter most of the time. The way he can throw OGs and OTs aside with one arm, line him up as a DE and I can see shades of Reggie White.

been thinking if we picking this high in the top 5 of the draft we have to take a gamble on a qb we have no choice

young or cj whoever falls to us its that simple
Agree. If we only had one pick in the first, that might be a different story - make you think hard about it anyway.

I’m hoping that DeMeco knows the importance of building from the inside out. Get me a Dline mauler with that 2 pick . #12 pick, I like the WR from TCU. Then that #33 pick, get me a nail eating, lightning crapping Olineman!

Im no Mel Kiper (thankfully) but this team needs a huge talent infusion and I don’t like Young, too small. I’ve seen talking heads compare him to Murray. Uh, no thanks. Stroud played with elite talent.

Build up the Overall talent on this team this draft.

No offense, but 1.12 is way too high for Sanders IMO. If we are looking at a LB at 1.12 Trenton Simpson or Noah Sewell would be the only ones I'd consider, and I think even they are a reach at 1.12.

Also, I know you want to get a TE, but I just don't see that as a big need. I think we have 2 decent ones already, and can get another in free agency.
Sanders is my guy.

I don't go by what the draftniks consensus is.

Feel free to disagree with me.

I'd never draft this guy at 2. You've never convincing me this guy is worth a 2 overall. Top 5, I'm looking for true game-changing impact players and really at only a few positions - QB, WR, LT, or Pass Rusher (LB or DL)...and maybe CB in a special case. No Space Eating guy in the middle that isn't ever going to be a pass-rushing demon. No way, no how. I'm not sold on him even in the top 15. I don't like him until the back half of the first round at best. For me, I wouldn't take him until 33. I think he is an above-average, but not great player and will never live up to a guy you want at 1.2. For me, that would be another Caserio epic mistake. Carry on.

I'd never draft this guy at 2. You've never convincing me this guy is worth a 2 overall. Top 5, I'm looking for true game-changing impact players and really at only a few positions - QB, WR, LT, or Pass Rusher (LB or DL)...and maybe CB in a special case. No Space Eating guy in the middle that isn't ever going to be a pass-rushing demon. No way, no how. I'm not sold on him even in the top 15. I don't like him until the back half of the first round at best. For me, I wouldn't take him until 33. I think he is an above-average, but not great player and will never live up to a guy you want at 1.2. For me, that would be another Caserio epic mistake. Carry on.
I didn't mean for you to take it so personally.

Butts in seats happen when the product is interesting/fun to watch and when the team is successful and wins relatively frequently.

This notion that all they care about is butts in seats doesn't hold water. If that was the case, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Johnny Manziel would have all been Texans.

I’m hoping that DeMeco knows the importance of building from the inside out. Get me a Dline mauler with that 2 pick . #12 pick, I like the WR from TCU. Then that #33 pick, get me a nail eating, lightning crapping Olineman!

Im no Mel Kiper (thankfully) but this team needs a huge talent infusion and I don’t like Young, too small. I’ve seen talking heads compare him to Murray. Uh, no thanks. Stroud played with elite talent.

Build up the Overall talent on this team this draft.
So if he draft a quarterback first(2) DL with the second pick (12), WR third (33), ( third round) DL fourth and then OL fifth. Does that mean he isn’t building from the inside out?
All because a player played with elite talent, gets a no thanks? Well we shouldn’t be drafting any player from Georgia, Alabama or any other top colleges.

Man I really do not understand the mindset of some posters.

Back