Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Ben Johnson

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ejiro Evero

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
They have to. Mills has not done enough to cement himself as a starter. Too inaccurate. And I am a fan of his. Caserio wouldn’t be able to survive passing on Young or Stroud.
Caserio most likely wont be able to survive drafting Young/Stroud. He will be gone in the next 4-5 yrs and will have never gotten to pick the HC or QB he wanted to pick.

They have to. Mills has not done enough to cement himself as a starter. Too inaccurate. And I am a fan of his. Caserio wouldn’t be able to survive passing on Young or Stroud.
Meh, they don't really have to. I'm all for bringing Derek Carr in here - he might not get you to the promised land but is NFL ready and a big upgrade over Mills and you know what you're getting.
Sure, he might be good enough to keep us drafting outside the top 10-15 in future drafts but decent QBs can still be available then.
If Carr is good enough to win the AFCS which I think he is, Carstereo's job will be safe for another year.
From there, you keep building your team and with 2 firsts next draft after this one, we can add more first round talent.
Keep in mind we have great cap space for FAs now too.

Meh, they don't really have to. I'm all for bringing Derek Carr in here - he might not get you to the promised land but is NFL ready and a big upgrade over Mills and you know what you're getting.
Sure, he might be good enough to keep us drafting outside the top 10-15 in future drafts but decent QBs can still be available then.
If Carr is good enough to win the AFCS which I think he is, Carstereo's job will be safe for another year.
From there, you keep building your team and with 2 firsts next draft after this one, we can add more first round talent.
Keep in mind we have great cap space for FAs now too.
Question, were you here 2002-2006?

Weren’t you a proponent of taking a QB this year when it was about this time last year?

I didn't like last yrs class and, now I dont like this yrs class as well.

A lot can change in a yr. I didn't realize Young was 5'10-5'11 and 185 lbs. I never like Stroud, and was unsure about Levis.

I'm pretty sure about Williams/Maye.

Watch some more tape, student of the game.

I saw Stroud exhibit the things you're talking about in only 1 game throughout his career. Tell me was Fields not a student of the game? Some thought he was QB1 in his class and made some of the same arguments you're making now.

Not to mention, by this time next year the class of 2024 may not be looking so good
Is this where we go into our Arch Manning routine?
Caserio most likely wont be able to survive drafting Young/Stroud. He will be gone in the next 4-5 yrs
Might be gone a lot sooner if he and Ryans aren't on the same page.
A lot can change in a yr. I didn't realize Young was 5'10-5'11 and 185 lbs.
So you watched Young last year, and thought he was good? What size did you think Young was when you thought he was good?

Reactions: JB
You need to go watch more of his games then.

You might want to checkout his games against Northwestern/Maryland/Michigan/Penn St. and even Iowa. Sure he put up some stats in some of those games, but I didn't think he played all that well, certainly not 1-2 well.

Is this where we go into our Arch Manning routine?

Might be gone a lot sooner if he and Ryans aren't on the same page.

So you watched Young last year, and thought he was good? What size did you think Young was when you thought he was good?

I certainly thought he weighed more than 200 Lbs.

No manning routine here.

Probably, I'm about to give up on this team. I certainly dont like the way they're being run. I want guys to be hired on merit, not on lets try to keep our sexual predator QB happy so lets hire this guy. Or we have a lawsuit against us, lets hire a minority HC. Or the fans stopped coming to NRG so lets hire a fan favorite to get the butts back in the seats.

These types of hires happen when ownership is inept.

You might want to checkout his games against Northwestern/Maryland/Michigan/Penn St. and even Iowa. Sure he put up some stats in some of those games, but I didn't think he played all that well, certainly not 1-2 well.
I watched those games. Here’s something: name one quarterback who is perfect in every game. I’ll wait

Maryland 18-30 241 yards a touchdown and no picks or fumbles.
Penn State 26-33 354 yards a touchdown and no picks or fumbles.
Michigan 31-48 349 yards 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions
Northwestern 10-26 76 yards no touchdowns and no interceptions. Offensive line was atrocious this game.

Only one bad game out of the four you mentioned. Bump the other games in which he threw for 4-5 touchdowns.
This is what I’m talking about, you’re half ashing it because you don’t like the young man. And for what? If you’re going to evaluate, how about the entire body of work versus hand picking a small sample size.

Maryland 18-30 241 yards a touchdown and no picks or fumbles.
Penn State 26-33 354 yards a touchdown and no picks or fumbles.
Michigan 31-48 349 yards 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions
Northwestern 10-26 76 yards no touchdowns and no interceptions. Offensive line was atrocious this game.

Only one bad game out of the four you mentioned. Bump the other games in which he threw for 4-5 touchdowns.
This is what I’m talking about, you’re half ashing it because you don’t like the young man. And for what? If you’re going to evaluate, how about the entire body of work versus hand picking a small sample size.
Numbers vs actually watching the games. We've had this discussion many times before.

You're saying he played well like a 1-2 should play against Michigan for instance?

I watched those games. Here’s something: name one quarterback who is perfect in every game. I’ll wait
I expected this reply because I seen it from you before

I expect more than I saw out of Stroud this yr if I'm drafting him 1-2. I'm expecting a top 5 QB and I don't think he will ever be that good.

I expect more than I saw out of Stroud this yr if I'm drafting him 1-2. I'm expecting a top 5 QB and I don't think he will ever be that good.
You didn't like what you saw of him against Georgia?

I certainly thought he weighed more than 200 Lbs.

No manning routine here.

Probably, I'm about to give up on this team. I certainly dont like the way they're being run. I want guys to be hired on merit, not on lets try to keep our sexual predator QB happy so lets hire this guy. Or we have a lawsuit against us, lets hire a minority HC. Or the fans stopped coming to NRG so lets hire a fan favorite to get the butts back in the seats.

These types of hires happen when ownership is inept.
If Ryan’s had not been interviewed by other teams and being setup for 2nd interview by another team I could see your point. But it’s clear that he is a sought after coach. Him being a fan favorite is a bonus. If you can’t see that then you are too caught up on your guy not being the one.

Why because you can’t name not a one.
?

I'm not following you.

I can name several QB's that are better than any QB in this class will ever be. IMHO Just watch the games tomorrow and you will see 3 out of the 4 that are and always will be better.

If Ryan’s had not been interviewed by other teams and being setup for 2nd interview by another team I could see your point. But it’s clear that he is a sought after coach. Him being a fan favorite is a bonus. If you can’t see that then you are too caught up on your guy not being the one.
He's a fine HC prospect. But that's not the reason he got the job.

How do you know that? It wasn’t long ago that you thought that no way in hell McNair would want demeco here

This is true. Like Lucky told me at the time the NFL isn't the real world, you know the world where employers dont hire employees who have sued them in the past type world. Lucky got this right and I got this wrong. I didn't take into account that Cal was actually this desperate to get back into the good graces of the fanbase and media. Desperate people do strange things.

I dont know, I think the McNair's hired Ryans for the wrong reasons. This doesn't mean Ryans cant be successful but it will be inspite of the McNair's not because of them.

This is true. Like Lucky told me at the time the NFL isn't the real world, you know the world where employers dont hire employees who have sued them in the past type world. Lucky got this right and I got this wrong. I didn't take into account that Cal was actually this desperate to get back into the good graces of the fanbase and media. Desperate people do strange things.

I dont know, I think the McNair's hired Ryans for the wrong reasons. This doesn't mean Ryans cant be successful but it will be inspite of the McNair's not because of them.
I thought DeMeco would choose to go somewhere else besides Houston. I wasn't aware that his wife is from Houston and that the Ryans are in the process of building a home in Houston. Two difference makers.

Caserio will draft whoever Ryan's wants him to draft. I would assume that will be Young if he's available.

The McNairs hire the coaches...
The coaches draft the players...

What the hell does our GM do? Head of Sanitation?
Did he at least get to pick the color of the hockey puck things in the men's urinals?

Does he have an office in the building, or have they got your boy in one of those temporary trailers out by the dumpsters?

Did he at least get to pick the color of the hockey puck things in the men's urinals?

Does he have an office in the building, or have they got your boy in one of those temporary trailers out by the dumpsters?
Didn’t the McNairs literally confirm this when they went live on Sports610? Hell, Nick said so himself during that awkward press conference where he seemed to be neutered.

Nick is a facilitator. This is all that he knows how to do, but he is the highest-paid facilitator in the league.

Exactly

It appears that the role of the GM is to take the heat when ownership screws up. There's really no need for a GM in the Texans org other than daily operations. The McNair's are gonna do what the McNair's have been doing for the last 2 decades.

Nothing has changed down on Kirby.

You're missing the point

Do you think there's a Manning/Elway/Burrow/Luck etc... in this draft?

If not you pass on the QB, particularly with the QB you wants agent.

So you don't believe any qb in this draft class has the promise to be good?

You're missing the point

Do you think there's a Manning/Elway/Burrow/Luck etc... in this draft?

If not you pass on the QB, particularly with the QB you wants agent.
I think the odds are in favor of this being the case... All I know is that we need to avoid a Kyle Murray situation AT ALL COSTS, as that is absolutely the worst place an NFL team can be in: better than average QB, but not good enough to shoulder the load; take franchise hostage by holding out for massive contract > underdeliver and/or get hurt > wasted half-decade.

I don't know if Young will be that, but I see a high likelhood of him becoming that, and it worries me. That said, he's very talented in several areas... No to Stroud because he didn't perform well in pressure situations. We know he's a really good passer when he had time... so is Mills. Need a QB that is better at improv and pocket breakdown, which Mills wasn't.

I think the odds are in favor of this being the case... All I know is that we need to avoid a Kyle Murray situation AT ALL COSTS, as that is absolutely the worst place an NFL team can be in: better than average QB, but not good enough to shoulder the load; take franchise hostage by holding out for massive contract > underdeliver and/or get hurt > wasted half-decade.

I don't know if Young will be that, but I see a high likelhood of him becoming that, and it worries me. That said, he's very talented in several areas... No to Stroud because he didn't perform well in pressure situations. We know he's a really good passer when he had time... so is Mills. Need a QB that is better at improv and pocket breakdown, which Mills wasn't.
I would like to see Davis Mills have one last shot under a competent HC and OC. If he flames out then I’m all for moving on from him. Or possibly keeping him as a backup. I honestly think Bruce Young won’t last long enough to see a second contract in this league, due to his small frame.

I would like to see Davis Mills have one last shot under a competent HC and OC. If he flames out then I’m all for moving on from him. Or possibly keeping him as a backup. I honestly think Bruce Young won’t last long enough to see a second contract in this league, due to his small frame.
With you on that. Stroud under this year's interior line and NFL-worst surrounding WR talent would have been a disaster. I'm not a Bryce Young fan as it relates to transferability of game to the NFL level, but if mgt. desires that element of elusiveness and playmaking out of the pocket that Mills will never have, I will support the team taking its chances. Just don't see the point in Stroud, because Stroud and Mills and a similar-type player. Mills issue isn't arm talent, it is delivering ad hoc and pressure situations, which Stroud had problems with in college this year... with the best WR talent in college football.

Imagine Stroud throwing to Chris Moore as his primary WR in a handful of games this season... No incoming QB deserves to be put in the same situation Mills was last year and expect a materially different result.

That's irrelevant, Derrick isn't David despite Texans fans PTSD
What’s not irreverent is genetics and Tedford coaching tree. It’s his old school mechanics, that’s affected mold, pocket style QB tendencies, which attract poor pocket sense, locking on targets and high sack accumulation leading to injuries.

If your only strategy for winning a championship is by being patient until you can draft an Elway or a Manning - you more than likely are never winning a championship.

You have to take your chances when they present themselves - which for the Texans is this year, who knows what next year holds?

You draft a Mahomes (who regardless of what's said about him now - his draft grade was slightly north of "meh"), and hope he turns into, well Mahomes.

Back