Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 Texans free agency

It's the GM's job to evaluate talent.

The GM did a good job of evaluating talent last yr.

I'd say most of the time the coach decides what talent to bring in.

But now we now OBriens job doesn't include:
-throwing challenge flags
-building an offense
-managing the ol
-deciding who to start between Savage and Watson
-calling plays
-dealing with time management bs
-helping with the salary cap
-talent evaluation

What exactly is his job?

-building an offense
-managing the ol
-calling plays
-talent evaluation

What exactly is his job?

So GM's aren't involved in talent evaluation and acquisition?

So GM's aren't involved in talent evaluation and acquisition?

Yes but the HC is as well. They work together, but I think Obrien and crennel usually get who they want. Other organizations may have GM making most deicisions.

I'm surprised steelb hasn't started calling Gaine "Brian McNair" yet. The idea that Obrien doesn't evaluate talent is laughable. We have many quotes from him preparing for the draft and free agency.

Besides, obrien definitely decides who starts where and we've seem him screw that up many times.

-building an offense
-managing the ol
-calling plays
-talent evaluation

What exactly is his job?

He's very good at building a positive locker room and getting them not to quit. You know if this whole coaching thing doesn't work out he should go into motivational speaking.

He could call it "Coaching Your Inner Butt Chin"

Call it doom and gloom if you want, I'm just not getting my hopes up any more for what Bill O'Brien thinks is talent and how he manages that talent. So much so I'm seriously considering selling my tickets this year. 547, front row, south end zone, right between the uprights, with 2 yellow parking passes if anyone might be interested.

Sold mine already. Section 525. Gonna watch this year play out from the comfort of my backyard tailgate. I have the tailgate passes in case I get the itch to go watch the game from the Yellow Lot.

That would explain why he's got time to make 132 posts per day around here.

I only reply to those that reply to me, BTW, feel free to check out how many posts I make a day if you wish to spend your time this way. I do post alot during the offseason because I'm a draftnik at heart.

I notice you spend quite a bit of time on here too.

The fact that you stoop to this level of post says alot.

Sell your tickets and go on your way.

Maybe Dabo will come here.

We know he can do better with some of the players already on our roster. :)

:coffee:

Dabo could be like Jimmy Johnson and need a couple of seasons to transition his system to the NFL but once there, I think Dabo could be a really successful HC. Dabo also has a slew of position coaches that would also do well if brought along for the ride. I think Dabo is strong enough in his HC abilities....that he would turn the coordinator positions over to to the guys he hired.

If he was willing to leave Clemson for the NFL, I hope the Texans would pursue him with a package he couldn't refuse.....then give him a 5 year package to allow him adequate time to put his plan into place.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter Brian.

As long as Watson, Hopkins, & Fuller are healthy, O'Brien will win the division again. As much hell as I give him, I like his offense when those three are in the game.

To be honest.....if Watson, Hopkins, Fuller and Coutee are healthy, the Texans offense "could" be dangerous. Add in a couple of better adjusted and utilized Jordan's and it "could" get even more dangerous. Of course, add in a healthy Foreman, a solid draft pick and Miller and the offense "could" be even more lethal.

Could, could and could ain't going to do shite if Gaine, OB and Devlin don't get this OL crisis figured out.

Can McCarron play LT?

No, but if Watson goes down behind the current OL personnel.....I like the idea of having McCarron as QB2. Like I stated in my original post regarding McCarron, "I liked him as a QB2 type from the time he entered the draft." I think he will be the perfect compliment to Watson, sort of the same way Kubiak complimented Elway.

To be honest.....if Watson, Hopkins, Fuller and Coutee are healthy, the Texans offense "could" be dangerous. Add in a couple of better adjusted and utilized Jordan's and it "could" get even more dangerous. Of course, add in a healthy Foreman, a solid draft pick and Miller and the offense "could" be even more lethal.

Could, could and could ain't going to do shite if Gaine, OB and Devlin don't get this OL crisis figured out.

I agree with you and what concerns me about BoB is not when everything is going right, most coaches can win with that, its when things are going wrong. That's when you see how good someone really is. When Brady got suspended for 3 games BB didn't even slow down and just redesigns things around Jimmy G strengths and weaknesses. BoB seems to run the same system no matter if he has his starters or if he's playing his backup's backup. I still stand by my "One year stay of execution" position but I'll admit its not looking promising. I'm not even talking about the F/A signing, or lack there of, for me its that we didn't replace the Oline coach and we are being used to give BoB's student his break as OC which just means BoB is still the OC.

If you actually believe that BOB wanted Os here I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

This. OB watched zero tape (except a monday night game vs the Pats) of Osweiler. That wasn't tape, he was probably in his office watching it every now and then.

Bob/Rick wanted Osweiler and luckily Rick was able to redeem himself by getting Watson.

Casserly got us Mario and Rick got us Watson on the way out

This. OB watched zero tape (except a monday night game vs the Pats) of Osweiler. That wasn't tape, he was probably in his office watching it every now and then.

Bob/Rick wanted Osweiler and luckily Rick was able to redeem himself by getting Watson.

Casserly got us Mario and Rick got us Watson on the way out

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...uisition-began-in-film-room-ended-6886807.php

Osweiler acquisition began in film room, ended with Texans sparing no expense

Plenty of film study

After the Texans' 30-0 loss to Kansas City in the playoffs, O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks.

"We study all these guys," O'Brien said. "We watch their (regular-season) tape (and) their preseason tape. When you threw the tape on from (last season), it was impressive. He played in some very tough games, some very meaningful games.

"It's not easy to be a starting quarterback in this league. It's one of the most difficult things in sports to do. I think we got the right guy."

To make sure they were on the same page, Smith and O'Brien went to the film room and watched hours of tape on the 6-8, 240-pound Osweiler.

"We came out of the film room agreeing that Brock Osweiler was the quarterback to lead us where we want to go," Smith said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646489/article/what-made-bill-obrien-fall-for-brock-osweiler

What made Bill O'Brien fall for Brock Osweiler?

"I think the first thing you look at is his film, how he plays the game," O'Brien said. "He's a big, tall guy with a strong arm and he stands in the pocket. When the rush is bearing down on him, he delivers the ball. Now, look, it's not always clean, but there's a lot that goes into that. I think the one thing I like about this guy is that he's got good leadership ability."

The Texans pounced on Osweiler only after an extensive review of every available quarterback, with O'Brien saying the team "spent a lot of time studying a lot of different guys, college guys, pro guys," but felt like "Brock gave us the best chance to win."

"I thought the New England game was one particular game that stood out to me because they were really, in coaching lingo, they were 'getting after him.' They were hitting him and he was delivering the football and getting right back up and calling the next play. One of the main requirements for a quarterback in this league is the ability to stand in there -- when everything's flying at you -- take a hit and deliver the ball, and that's one thing in that game that really stood out to me."

On the Raiders tilt: "(Pass rusher) Khalil Mack must have hit him, I don't know, eight to 10 times in that game? Stood in there, delivered the ball, maybe statistically it wasn't his best game, but to someone who's been coaching that position for a while and has really studied it, that means a lot to us."

Not everyone believes that Osweiler's ready for prime time, but at least one NFL coach is completely sold.

Where exactly did OB give evidence of anything Brock did? I could tell you right now, I have looked at every prospect in the draft by saying "I looked at tape" or "he's a big, strong prospect"

I could BS my way through an interview just like OB did. If you believe everything you read or hear then yes, OB LOVED Osweiler.

Reading between the lines isn't very hard to do. The only tape he publicly said he watched was the Pats game and he was probably watching Brady, tbh.

Where exactly did OB give evidence of anything Brock did? I could tell you right now, I have looked at every prospect in the draft by saying "I looked at tape" or "he's a big, strong prospect"

I could BS my way through an interview just like OB did. If you believe everything you read or hear then yes, OB LOVED Osweiler.

Reading between the lines isn't very hard to do. The only tape he publicly said he watched was the Pats game and he was probably watching Brady, tbh.

LOL, so now O'Brien just throws out BS during interviews now? Why is he head coach again?

And those quotes were public.

So we are back to that having to separate when BoB is just towing the line and when he is being honest. Again can we get someone to hold up signs during interviews one say "Company" and the other saying "Honest" so we know which is which? Wish every time I said something I regretted or proved to be wrong people would jump to my defense saying "He didn't really mean that he was just going along and its all (insert person here) that did it."

Rick, he gone. OB no clue on QB talent, see Mallett, Savage... We know that. What is OB good at is playing the politics game.

My concern is they are standing pat at WR and RB. Fuller will not stay healthy, my opinion. I don't think Foreman will be a big contributor. Maybe he worked off all his fat, but he is known to be a little lax in his conditioning. Hopkins will be nullified if no other viable offensive weapons. I would have taken a chance on RCobb I think. We can't go into draft still needing OL, CB, WR, RB,.... The problem with this staff is they are drunk on their own kool aid.

Rick, he gone. OB no clue on QB talent, see Mallett, Savage... We know that. What is OB good at is playing the politics game.

My concern is they are standing pat at WR and RB. Fuller will not stay healthy, my opinion. I don't think Foreman will be a big contributor. Maybe he worked off all his fat, but he is known to be a little lax in his conditioning. Hopkins will be nullified if no other viable offensive weapons. I would have taken a chance on RCobb I think. We can't go into draft still needing OL, CB, WR, RB,.... The problem with this staff is they are drunk on their own kool aid.

Yep, the offense is a mess. This isn't new since O'Brien get here.

The offense is carried by Hopkins (a guy O'Brien inherited) and Watson (Rick forced that draft pick on O'Brien amirite? Since we are going by rumors). The rest of the offensive personnel is mostly junk except Fuller when healthy. Just a bunch of dudes who suck (Seantrel, Griffin) and weird O'Brien projects (Jordan TE's who can't block so can't play with this OL).

So we are back to that having to separate when BoB is just towing the line and when he is being honest. Again can we get someone to hold up signs during interviews one say "Company" and the other saying "Honest" so we know which is which? Wish every time I said something I regretted or proved to be wrong people would jump to my defense saying "He didn't really mean that he was just going along and its all (insert person here) that did it."

Nobody is going to jump to his defense when the thing we actually care about (the product on the field) is a bad product.

Being told to say something to save face as an organization is normal.

Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones (for example)

Multiple hours of tape-watching for Harbaugh.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...clocks-long-hours-prep-game-day-espn-magazine

"It's always a treat to log onto Patriots.com and watch Belichick break down tape of players and plays. I recommend it to anybody who wants to take a look behind the curtain at this football savant."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ach-from-bill-belichick-to-the-class-of-2017/

If O'Brien really isn't watching any film, that explains a lot.

Like I said, I'm not defending him, he should be replaced as the head coach.

He coaches the players given to him.

I just think it's funny that Obrien has said "it's not my job" so many times that people don't think he watches tape or is involved in free agency and the draft

Like I said, I'm not defending him, he should be replaced as the head coach.

He coaches the players given to him.

He tells the GM who he wants, then the GM tries to complete the transaction. Sometimes it doesn't happen. That's all that means.

It does not mean that Obrien is at home doing nothing during the draft and free agency.

Glad we got AJ McCarran. I wanted him the instant he was released, but what's up with all these 1 year deals? Maybe this was a player request? He probably figures with this **** show of a line, Watson is bound to be injured and he'll get to showcase his skills for other teams.

As far as BOB, I'm on record as stating this team is going absolutely nowhere with BOB as HC. Until he's out, the Texans are just spinning their wheels. I appreciate that BOB is a devoted family man who cares so incredibly deeply for his son. But as an NFL HC, if I'm handing out letter grades, he's a C-. That's not going to get the job done, and the problem is he isn't improving. He was probably that same C- in year one.

(Semi) post FA, but Pre-draft I see this as a 6 or 7 win team. Let's see what they do in the draft and I'll re-think my position, but right now at least - I am not hopeful of a playoff season this year with BOB running the show.

Just another year of wasting Watson, Watt, Hop, et al. What else is new.

I'll also be a +1 on the idea of Dabo coming here. Seriously doubt he does make the leap to the NFL anytime soon (if ever), but if he did I'd think the Texans would be high on his list.

Back