Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Texans free agency

Penn was moved to RT 2018 in hopes of his performance improving from his drop off in 2017 (the season following his Lisfranc fracture)....................His Lisfranc was on the right side, and a LT must be able to forcefully push off of his right foot in order to securely cover the outside. As with Schaub, a Lisfranc fracture is a progressively degenerative injury, and in 2018, it not unexpectedly even significantly negatively affected his play on the right side.............the OT position requires 2 good feet.

I'm kinda curious about what the Texans are up to. I'm ok with what they've done on the defensive side of the ball, including letting HB go to the Chiefs. I also wonder if the Oz debacle has caused paralysis by analysis concerning the highest regarded FAs and that's why the Texans absolutely refuse to take a chance on the top OL FAs.
The Texans have some decent draft capital and it's going to be interesting to see how Gaine uses it. The FA signings of other teams have surely wrecked every draft board. I need to wander into the draft forum and see what you draft gurus foresee.
JACKSONVILLE – The Jaguars addressed the offensive line Saturday.

They did so with a former first-round draft selection with extensive NFL starting experience.

Cedric Ogbuehi, the 21st overall selection in the 2015 NFL by the Cincinnati Bengals, signed with the Jaguars as an unrestricted free agent. The team announced the signing shortly after he signed Saturday morning.

Ogbuehi, who played collegiately at Texas A&M, started 25 of 35 games for the Bengals from 2015-2018. He entered the NFL rehabilitating a torn anterior cruciate ligament, missing the first 11 games of his rookie season.

He started 12 games at right tackle in 2016 and 13 games at left tackle before playing two this past season with no starts.

The Jaguars currently have eight offensive linemen on the roster, including starting left tackle Cam Robinson, starting left guard Andrew Norwell, starting center Brandon Linder, starting right guard A.J. Cann and 2018 fourth-round draft selection/right tackle Will Richardson.
https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-sign-ot-ogbuehi
THis FA looks like somebody we'd be interested in atleast talkin with, but I dunno ?
One explanation is that Gaine is going to depend entirely on this years Draft for help @ OT by taking drafting a minimum of 2 tackles ?

They did so with a former first-round draft selection with extensive NFL starting experience.

Cedric Ogbuehi, the 21st overall selection in the 2015 NFL by the Cincinnati Bengals, signed with the Jaguars as an unrestricted free agent. The team announced the signing shortly after he signed Saturday morning.

Ogbuehi, who played collegiately at Texas A&M, started 25 of 35 games for the Bengals from 2015-2018. He entered the NFL rehabilitating a torn anterior cruciate ligament, missing the first 11 games of his rookie season.

He started 12 games at right tackle in 2016 and 13 games at left tackle before playing two this past season with no starts.

The Jaguars currently have eight offensive linemen on the roster, including starting left tackle Cam Robinson, starting left guard Andrew Norwell, starting center Brandon Linder, starting right guard A.J. Cann and 2018 fourth-round draft selection/right tackle Will Richardson.
THis FA looks like somebody we'd be interested in atleast talkin with, but I dunno ?
One explanation is that Gaine is going to depend entirely on this years Draft for help @ OT by taking drafting a minimum of 2 tackles ?
hmmm....12 starts at RT in 2016, 13 starts at LT in 2017, but no starts in 2018, and only played in two games? Was he hurt last year?

In the last 2 years, Ogbuehi has proved himself to be a bust...........at LT and RT. The only reason he had play time in 2017 was because, the Bengals OL was decimated with injuries. Last year, he was considered to be so bad that he was a "healthy scratch" for all but 2 games...........and he was a backup in both of those games.

Why?

This approach hasn't worked?
It most certainly has worked....for other teams...one reason I'm being patient with Gaine. He had an excellent draft in 2018 and appears to have a good eye for talent.
"Winning" in FA does not, in any way, shape or form, guarantee winning during the regular season. In fact, I'd say it usually blows up in a teams face more often than not.

Didn't you hear?

The Texans are in cap hell.
Who, other than you, is saying the Texans are in cap hell? Not spending big $$$ on FA is not implying the team is in cap hell. It implies that the Texans didn't value a player in FA as much as another team did. No disrespect, but I'll take Gaine and his scouting dept.'s opinion over a MB and/or some talking heads opinion. Gaine earned that respect in the 2018 draft.

Why 2018’s Power Teams Are Sitting Out 2019 Free Agency
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/18/free-agency-spending-cowboys-kyler-murray-tyreek-hill

The Cowboys weren’t in a position to go hog wild last week anyway—as of Sunday morning, they sat with $24.3 million in cap space and cadre of young stars to lock up. But even if their situation were different, and they did have a little more breathing room to spend, chances are they’d still have sat out all the craziness.

It is, quite honestly, what the Jones family has learned, through success and failure, about running a team in the NFL’s salary cap era, now in its 26th year.

“The biggest thing is just that free agency, I just don’t think you can make a living there,” Dallas COO Stephen Jones said over the phone around lunchtime on Sunday. “That’s what we’ve always said. I think you’re overpaying in free agency most of the time. [Free agents] are overvalued, because you’re competing in a market where you’ve got teams that don’t have as many players they have to spend on, have to use cap space on.

“And the other thing is, I don’t think you’re ever one player away. It’s a building process. You’ve got to have some really good quarterbacking to win championships, but you’ve got to put a good team around him. That whole theory that you’re one player away, it’s one that we don’t buy into like you might’ve in the past.”

Here’s the genesis of my conversation with Jones and a handful of other teams over the weekend: I spent some time looking at which teams have and haven’t spent since the market opened in earnest last Monday (and earlier than that on street free agents). What I found was staggering. And it’s so simple that you can really explain it in five words.

Most good teams didn’t spend. And here’s proof, using Spotrac’s offseason spending tracker for 2019 as our guide:

• Five of the six lightest-spending teams made the playoffs last year, and two of the three lightest spenders played in the Super Bowl. Ten of the 12 playoffs teams from last year are in the bottom 14 in spending thus far. And two of the four in that cluster that didn’t make the playoffs (Atlanta, Carolina) have been in the Super Bowl and made the playoffs multiple times over the last four years.
• That leaves two of the 18 heaviest spenders that made the playoffs. One was eighth (Philly), the other was 12th (Baltimore).
• It’s not unusual that it’d skew this way—good teams don’t spend because they’ve already paid a lot of their own guys and likely don’t feel as desperate. But a quick look at the recent past shows that this year the divide between the habits of the haves and have-nots was much more pronounced.

Field Yates‏Verified account@FieldYates

As Week 2 of free agency begins, some notable players available:

*TE Jared Cook
* OLB Justin Houston
* DT Ndamukong Suh
* DE Ziggy Ansah
* K Stephen Gostkowski
* CB Darqueze Dennard
* WR Randall Cobb
* LB Clay Matthews
* LB Jamie Collins
* DT Darius Philon
* DT Cory Liuget

4:20 AM - 18 Mar 2019

My prediction is that Clowney plays under the franchise tag this year, but I wouldn't be adverse to trading him if the value is right, moving Mercilus into his spot and signing Suh.
I would be very happy with the front seven in that scenario

Looks like perhaps Gaine might avoid completely signing any journeyman OTs, injured or healthy.
They are gonna keep both Davenport & Henderson so they will draft two tackles in the first 3 rounds and you know they wouldn't cut either of those
rookies drafted that high. So we got Davenport & Henderson & two rookies as the OTs in this years 53 squad.
Hence probably no old geezers at OT for GM Gaine this year unless they carry 5 tackles and/or cut Davenport or Henderson.
That's his plan: dunno if it' a good one or not but we shall see ?

I really think his balance and experience hurts him. I also think if you cant draft and develop a certain position, you should just trade or sign for that position

Exactly why I don’t mind trading Clowney. The Texans have a track record of success developing front 7 defenders.

We sucked at QB so we traded two firsts for DW4. Our OL is weak and we have not had a track record of success developing players at that position under OB.

Spend the money where your coaching is weak. Gotta pay to cover up your weaknesses. And get value at your strengths.

[

From your pff link I found

Jordan Mills has been an example of consistency, as he’s played over 1,000 snaps in each of the past three seasons, making him one of only seven tackles to do so. He is still only 28 years old, but he has never surpassed his career-high 62.7 overall grade, which came in his final season with the Chicago Bears. At this point in his career, Mills has proven that he can be a stable backup offensive lineman in this league but not a quality starter for a team.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2019-nfl-free-agency-profile-jordan-mills

It most certainly has worked....for other teams...one reason I'm being patient with Gaine. He had an excellent draft in 2018 and appears to have a good eye for talent.
"Winning" in FA does not, in any way, shape or form, guarantee winning during the regular season. In fact, I'd say it usually blows up in a teams face more often than not.

Who in the last 5 yrs has it worked for other than the Pats and even they signed Gordon last yr. Look at the teams that have made the AFCCG/NFCCG games and how those teams were built. You're right winning FA doesn't mean you win on the field. Not participating or making Bradley F'n Roby your marquee FA signing on a 1 yr deal no less should tell you that you can lose on the field by either 1. Not choosing to participate in FA 2. Doing what the Texans did this yr in FA. Particularly when you see what your competitors are doing.

Who, other than you, is saying the Texans are in cap hell? Not spending big $$$ on FA is not implying the team is in cap hell. It implies that the Texans didn't value a player in FA as much as another team did. No disrespect, but I'll take Gaine and his scouting dept.'s opinion over a MB and/or some talking heads opinion. Gaine earned that respect in the 2018 draft.

TheKDog for 1.

The #Texans are hoping for an upgrade at backup QB, and former #Raiders QB AJ McCarron is set to fly there today for a visit, source said. With starting experience, he could provide valuable insurance for starter Deshaun Watson.

I'm on board with this.

Exactly why I don’t mind trading Clowney. The Texans have a track record of success developing front 7 defenders.

We sucked at QB so we traded two firsts for DW4. Our OL is weak and we have not had a track record of success developing players at that position under OB.

Spend the money where your coaching is weak. Gotta pay to cover up your weaknesses. And get value at your strengths.

Seems like a reasonable plan to me.

From the dude at clutchfans

This should be an easy decision for the Texans but it is not. They are having a hard time moving forward with interest in Penn because he wants the starting left tackle job to sign a 1 year deal. The Texans are wanting to continue forward with Davenport and a rookie at left tackle and are asking Penn about swing tackle position. Thats why Mills is the much more likely signing. Again, i dont agree with this, but I have heard that is their thinking as of right now. The teams I mentioned before are also interested in Penn, with New England willing to offer him the position he wants. Other teams have as well. Will be a hard sell for Houston to land Penn.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/official-texans-offseason.295544/page-109

Freakin sad.

Sign him, bring him in and draft a guy. Start Penn and let him play so the new guy can learn under Penn until as CnD has said, Penn gets hurt again or Penn's play suffers because of the Lisfranc.

Geez this isn't brain surgery.

Davenport shouldn't be blocking any OL help. If he is then everybody in the Texans org should be fired.
I dont understand Davenport was a 4th round pick. It's not like he was the 2nd pick overall in the draft. The coach has to make him earn the starting job. When you just give him the starting role regardless there is no motivation to work hard and improve.

I dont understand Davenport was a 4th round pick. It's not like he was the 2nd pick overall in the draft. The coach has to make him earn the starting job. When you just give him the starting role regardless there is no motivation to work hard and improve.

Plus he sucks and his biggest weakness is athletic ability. I dont think he's got the athletic ability to improve much more than he already has.

Freakin sad.

Sign him, bring him in and draft a guy. Start Penn and let him play so the new guy can learn under Penn until as CnD has said, Penn gets hurt again or Penn's play suffers because of the Lisfranc.

Geez this isn't brain surgery.

Davenport shouldn't be blocking any OL help. If he is then everybody in the Texans org should be fired.

I doubt it is about Davenport. Instead, I think their reluctance (if this story is accurate) to sign Penn and promise him a starting gig is about the likelihood they will draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round.

Back