Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Texans free agency

Foompscnuh

hes sayin thT that is the impression he gets from reading the post in this thread. What’s not to get?

Foompscnuh?

It didn't seem clear to me just what he was saying

They drafted Rankin thinking he'd be a tackle and were completely wrong. I like the defensive additions though
Too soon. Rankin missed all of training camp and was moved around too much. Crap, saying that brings back bad memories of Xfulo. That’s how he started and look at how that turned out. Hopefully Rankin gets a full training camp and lives up to his potential. That would be huge for our OL.

Catching up this morning on posts I've missed since yesterday, and I've come to 3 conclusions:
1) Everyone has forgot that the biggest asshole in radio has a major Houston morning show on 790.

Who would that be? Pennis? He gone....

Sounds like a good signing. Browns fans are sad to see him go, PFF has him as "average". Seems like another slot/safety guy. Is it me or are 3/4th of our corners more slot and not outside corners? And JoJo is getting up there in age. We still need to draft a CB in the first two rounds imho.

I would really like to see any addition to the OL. And I wouldn't be opposed to signing Suh and switching to a 4-3 (with Watt, Suh, Reader, Clowney on the line and Cunningham, McKinney and Mercilus at LB) - but I guess ROC wouldn't like that...

Sounds like a good signing. Browns fans are sad to see him go, PFF has him as "average". Seems like another slot/safety guy. Is it me or are 3/4th of our corners more slot and not outside corners? And JoJo is getting up there in age. We still need to draft a CB in the first two rounds imho.

I would really like to see any addition to the OL. And I wouldn't be opposed to signing Suh and switching to a 4-3 (with Watt, Suh, Reader, Clowney on the line and Cunningham, McKinney and Mercilus at LB) - but I guess ROC wouldn't like that...

2- OT's and 2- True Cover Corners in the draft.

2- OT's and 2- True Cover Corners in the draft.

Don't know about taking two each. Two corners, sure, a mid-late round flyer is always a good idea. 2 OTs, I would be hesistant. With Davenport, Rankins, Henderson and even Lamm on the team, the position is crowded and two of the guys are still developing. Both Rankins and Davenport showed enough to me to give them some more time and see what they turn into. I would much rather take 1 OT with our first pick (even trade up if you have to) and one interior lineman.

We still have questionmarks at HB and WR, maybe also TE and DE, backup QB and maybe more depth at ILB/OLB.

The Raiders just released QB, AJ McCarron. I've liked him from the day he entered the draft......not as a starter but as a solid QB2. I could see him eventually becoming a QB coach but he could be a great signing to backup Watson for the next few seasons.

So he was my pick over Savage. would love to see him here. Probably over Bortels. But its all fantasy at this point. Texans have established they don't pick up any good players. Only trash bin cheap one year people who can shine and go elsewhere or we can cut ....Just hate how we run this team since BOB got here. I used to blame Smith. Maybe that wasn't the cause after all.

Catching up this morning on posts I've missed since yesterday, and I've come to 3 conclusions:

1) Everyone has forgot that the biggest asshole in radio has a major Houston morning show on 790.

2) 610 and all local stations are #fakenews because they don't share the opinion that we should all be lighting dumpster fires in the streets a few days into free agency signings.

3) Brian Gaine doesn't even deserve 1 full offseason and the Browns are geniuses for sucking the majority of the last 3 decades and now look at them!!!

You may have heard of a regime change with the Browns. Or let's put it another way. Let's see where the Browns and Texans stand at the end of the year. My money is on the Browns. They've passed the Texans by and are making moves, via trade and FA to put pieces around Mayfield while he is on his rookie deal. What pieces has Gaine added to Watson during FA while he is on his rookie deal?

The Browns are not only relevant again, they are an early AFC SB contender. The Texans? Well, they have a lot of cap space, so there's that.

Don't know about taking two each. Two corners, sure, a mid-late round flyer is always a good idea. 2 OTs, I would be hesistant. With Davenport, Rankins, Henderson and even Lamm on the team, the position is crowded and two of the guys are still developing. Both Rankins and Davenport showed enough to me to give them some more time and see what they turn into. I would much rather take 1 OT with our first pick (even trade up if you have to) and one interior lineman.

We still have questionmarks at HB and WR, maybe also TE and DE, backup QB and maybe more depth at ILB/OLB.

Lamm hasn't been signed and Rankin is getting moved inside. I'd still like to see how Rankin fares with a full off-season to prepare for playing OT in the NFL. If he focused strictly on LT this off-season, there's absolutely no harm since he can be moved inside at any time. The team drafted him as a LT, they might as well see if he can play the position.

Just about any "Draft Value Chart" one consults will give this calculation for the 9th & 40th & 23rd picks : (1350 + 500) = 1850 - 760 (23rd pick) = 1100 (aproximately the 14th overall pick in the 2019 Draft.

You certainly know quite a bit about offensive line play but I don't think that enables you to know how Brian Gaine feels about this Draft and his ratings of individual players including the offensive lineman.
why do we keep going for defense and not one flipping thing to help that horrible Oline. Davenport can continue to jump off side and cost us.... we need a LT that is worth a flip and not just keep saying draft one. As long as our thought is to run the team on the cheap we will just stay mid pack and never get to a SB.

You may have heard of a regime change with the Browns. Or let's put it another way. Let's see where the Browns and Texans stand at the end of the year. My money is on the Browns. They've passed the Texans by and are making moves, via trade and FA to put pieces around Mayfield while he is on his rookie deal. What pieces has Gaine added to Watson during FA while he is on his rookie deal?

The Browns are not only relevant again, they are an early AFC SB contender. The Texans? Well, they have a lot of cap space, so there's that.
Lol. You sound like Vince Young in 2011.

why do we keep going for defense and not one flipping thing to help that horrible Oline. Davenport can continue to jump off side and cost us.... we need a LT that is worth a flip and not just keep saying draft one. As long as our thought is to run the team on the cheap we will just stay mid pack and never get to a SB.
Who do you suggest we go after?

Here are new #Texans CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun’s Pro Football Focus Grades over his 3 NFL seasons. He wasn’t drafted out of college & he’s only 5’9 (definitely a slot CB) – which doesn’t fit GM Brian Gaine’s emphasis on size pic.twitter.com/kfvhIEv8J5

— Houston Sports Talk Podcast (@HSTPodcast) March 15, 2019

#Browns CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun has allowed a microscopic .02 yards per cover snap this preseason, allowing two catches for one yard on four targets. That ranks him second among 97 CBs (min. 40 snaps in coverage). pic.twitter.com/TYsR22SCmU

— PFF CLE Browns (@PFF_Browns) August 26, 2018

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2018/06/JacksonYdsPerCS-1024×581.jpg

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2018/06/GayCoverSnaps-1024×580.jpg

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2018/06/HairstonPRP-1024×580.jpg

I’ll give you Kalambayi. This early in the morning ST just wasn’t on my mind. But if Gaine and OB are supposed to be “aligned” then the TE selections are far from nailing it.

And if it takes 2-3 years to evaluate a draft, then saying it’s nailed is as premature as me saying it isn’t.

Can't see how you can say the TE selections weren't a hit. It takes time to learn how to play on this level & TE is one of the more tougher positions to learn. Having said that Thomas caught more TD's this year that Griffin & was a key contributor in the limited reps/opportunities. I could see him being a great starter for us long term. I don't think he'll ever be a prolific receiving TE, but definitely could see him putting up Owen Daniels type production.......If we can get this o-line shored up & he doesn't have to be kept in to block all the time.

Can't see how you can say the TE selections weren't a hit. It takes time to learn how to play on this level & TE is one of the more tougher positions to learn. Having said that Thomas caught more TD's this year that Griffin & was a key contributor in the limited reps/opportunities. I could see him being a great starter for us long term. I don't think he'll ever be a prolific receiving TE, but definitely could see him putting up Owen Daniels type production.......If we can get this o-line shored up & he doesn't have to be kept in to block all the time.

I think the combo of Thomas/Akins will surpass Daniels by more than a little bit

You must not listen too well, Gaine told you himself his philosophy was to build through the draft and by being selectively aggressive in FA. That's what he's doing. Other GM's make big moves via trade and FA, in the case of Cleveland they have that luxury since they have been embarrassingly obsolete for most of my life. Some, like you, would rather complain about it without even giving the guy a full offseason complete with 1st and 2nd round picks, then at the same time crown the Browns as paper champions lmao. I don't get why this is a surprise unless you're just not paying any attention at all.

Not saying they won't end up being good players, but far from addressing the more serious needs for this team. They had far too many needs, along with limited picks, to use TWO on TEs IMO. I don't see how that's nailing the draft.

Jordan Raanan

✔@JordanRaanan

Lots of teams still looking for tackles.
Giants waiting on Mike Remmers. Ryan Schraeder may be next in line. He’s attracted plenty of interest including from Texans and Vikings who also desperately need help at the position.

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1106586352110444544

Former Packers safety Kentrell Brice visited the Texans, visiting the Colts today, visits Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday, according to league sources

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 15, 2019

You must not listen too well, Gaine told you himself his philosophy was to build through the draft and by being selectively aggressive in FA. That's what he's doing. Other GM's make big moves via trade and FA, in the case of Cleveland they have that luxury since they have been embarrassingly obsolete for most of my life. Some, like you, would rather complain about it without even giving the guy a full offseason complete with 1st and 2nd round picks, then at the same time crown the Browns as paper champions lmao. I don't get why this is a surprise unless you're just not paying any attention at all.

Look Brian, I'm sure you're a nice guy, but so far you suck at your job. Now go back to Cal and beg for a few bucks to sign someone worth a ****.

They drafted Rankin thinking he'd be a tackle and were completely wrong.
I dunno how you know that ? Yes he played tackle in college, was a damn good one, but Gaine might have drafted Rankin thinking this guy looks like he might have the qualifications to be an NFL tackle but most likely he'll end up inside at guard where he can start for us 5 to 6 yrs.
I dunno if that's what Gaine was thinking, but well if it was I like both the upside and down side for a third round SEC offensive lineman.

I dunno how you know that ? Yes he played tackle in college, was a damn good one, but Gaine might have drafted Rankin thinking this guy looks like he might have the qualifications to be an NFL tackle but most likely he'll end up inside at guard where he can start for us 5 to 6 yrs.
I dunno if that's what Gaine was thinking, but well if it was I like both the upside and down side for a third round SEC offensive lineman.

They said Rankin could possibly be a tackle , guard , and maybe center .

Maybe it was because when Henderson went down, the coaches instantly put Rankin at LT (instead of Lamm, whom has been a OT on their team for a few years already). That kind of points to the coaching staff thinking Rankin would be an OT in this league.

According to PFF, Lamm was actually decent in pass-pro (horrendous in run blocking). Just looking at pass pro, he's in the same area as guys like Jason Peters, Lane Johnson, & Eric Fisher

d0d09ddfd5.png

The Dolphins just traded Tannehill to the damn Titans! What??

It is not as a starter

The agents for Ryan Tannehill announced onFriday afternoon that their client has been traded to the Titans. They also announced that he’s signed a new one-year deal that presumably cuts his salary down from the $18.725 million he was due to make under the terms of his contract with the Dolphins.

UPDATE 2:49 p.m. ET: According to multiple reports, the Titans are sending a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2019 seventh-round pick to Miami for Tannehill and a 2019 sixth-round pick.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/titans-trade-for-ryan-tannehill/

Lamm will end up being a lot better than Seantrel. Who cares about run blocking in today's NFL. Oh yeah, obrien does.

Back