Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2015 free agents

Or it could be a schrewd move by Belichick to have a competent backup. Kinda like BOB/Hoyer.

That's exactly what the story is since this happened in New England. My point is that if that happened here we're going to be thinking the worse of our 3rd round pick.

When did Matt Flynn become competent, especially in that offense?

He looked pretty good backing up Rodgers and the Pats offense with Brady mainly consists of throwing to Gronk/RB's and slants to the WR's. A perfect fit for Flynn's skillset. IMHO

THE ALL-FREE AGENT NFL TEAM

The task seemed easy enough: Compile a viable starting NFL team out of the remaining free agents now that the NFL offseason is behind us and training camps are roughly a month away.

It was much harder than I thought it'd be.

At some positions, like running back and interior offensive line, there were a number of viable options to choose from. At others, like cornerback, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Still, with the right coach (Bill Cowher maybe?) I think I could cobble a few wins out of this group. Playoff bound we are not, but the "Fighting Tuckheads" could give a few NFL teams a run for their money, especially early in the season, before this aging, injury-prone roster would begin to crumble.

The common factor linking most of these players is very simple: They are older and coming off an injury. That seems to almost be a death knell for NFL careers these days.

OFFENSE

QB: Michael Vick. I'm not too keen on having a quarterback that admitted he wasn't prepared to go into a game last year as a backup, but if I give him a starting job he'll know he's going to play. And he's still got enough in his arm and legs to move the ball a bit.

RB: Ray Rice. I'm not worried about the PR hit my team might take. I need to win some games, and I believe Rice still has something left despite his subpar 2013 season.

RB: Knowshon Moreno. Like a lot of these guys, he is coming off of an injury, but he is young enough and was productive enough early last season for me to give him a shot.

WR: Mike Williams. I don't know what happened in Tampa or Buffalo and I don't care. He's the only young, proven playmaker available.

WR: Reggie Wayne. All I need is one more solid year, Reggie. Just one more.

WR: Wes Welker. He's no longer one of the best wide receivers in the NFL anymore, but he's still in the top half of the league among slot guys -- which makes him a star on this team.

TE: Jermaine Gresham. As someone who once had back surgery, I don't love signing a player coming off of that, but my options are limited.

TE: Zach Miller. Older, coming off injury, what else is new for my squad? At least I know he's a good player when healthy.

OT: Jake Long. See above.

OT: Anthony Collins. I'm hoping his humbling season in Tampa Bay will get him back to his 2013 Bengal form.

OG: Evan Mathis. Clearly the most sought after free agent on this list after his recent release from the Eagles, yet like most of the rest of them, the 34 year-old Mathis is an older player coming off of an injury.

OG: Dan Connolly. He's among the best of what's out there, even though a neck injury hindered part of his 2014-15 season with the Patriots.

C: Chris Myers. It is actually pretty remarkable how many Raiola, Goodwin, Garza types are out there. I'll take Myers.

DEFENSE

DE: Dwight Freeney. Ideally, he'd be more of a situational rusher for me at this point in his career.

DE: John Abraham. It is scary to me that Abraham (37) is older than I am, but the last time he played with the Cardinals in 2013 he was highly productive. Maybe a year off helped the concussion issues he was having.

DT: Barry Cofield. There's usually a decent amount of run stuffers like Cofield available.

DT: Red Bryant. Signed a big contract with the Jaguars before they released him. Still should have something left in the tank, though.

LB: Jacquian Williams. The fact that this guy is still on the market surprises me. I've always thought of him as an athletic player who was good in pass coverage and on special teams. He might be my diamond in the rough.

LB: Brandon Spikes. The Patriots' loss is my gain.

LB: Lance Briggs. He's going to have to make plays more with his brains than his legs at this stage.

CB: Tarell Brown. Former Niner turned Raider coming off an injury is eager for a job.

CB: Carlos Rogers. Same as Brown, though I'm not sure he is as eager to play.

CB: Ike Taylor. I know he is retired, but I am desperate. That's why Cowher is my coach.

S: George Wilson. There are more safeties available then you might think, especially with teams like the Giants being so desperate for one. Wilson is the consummate professional and will be the leader on the back end.

S: Dawan Landry. The lesser of two evils when it comes to the Landry brothers.​

Dave Furst (sports director out of Indy) has the Texans as one of 5 teams interested in Reggie Wayne. I'd be fine with a small $80k bonus and vet minimum.

So, Colts and Texans gonna switch vets? Bizzaro world.

It could happen, and it would make for some good stories I guess. Jury is still out obviously, but I am over the Dre loss and ready to see our new guys contribute in a positive way. I would not be opposed to the Texans signing him if the price is right, but not convinced he has anything left as old and slow as he looked last season.

Dave Furst ‏@DaveFurst
Here you go-among the teams showing interest in former Colts WR Reggie Wayne: Patriots, Ravens, Texans, Packers. Broncos have backed off.​

I wonder how healthy he is? 36 coming off torn triceps surgery. Doc...?

Reggie's speed was a big part of his game & I haven't seen that speed in over a season.

He's not like Dre with his precise routes, fake routes, big body, & natural ability to separate. I can see Andre playing the role of wily vet. I'm not sold on Reggie Wayne being that guy.

I don't have a problem kicking the tires, but I don't see cutting him if he isn't cutting it as easy as it should be. I'd just as soon pass, being we've got a crowd at the position as it is.

To me starts and playing time are what classify a QB as young; especially when QBs can play until their late 30s.

Maybe so. I used to wonder how much better we'd have been had we aquired a 23~24 year old Matt Schaub. Sure, he wasn't a better athlete at 23 as opposed to 26, but 23 year old bodies heal better, faster.

26, 27, 28... could be some of the best years for a QB. Helps if he's not "adjusting" & learning from his mistakes.

It's rare enough to find a diamond in the rough undrafted (Hoyer), or in the 4th round (Savage, a 5th really), or in the third round (Mallett). Even rarer to find that undrafted, 3rd, or 4th round diamond past his 26th birthday.

Maybe so. I used to wonder how much better we'd have been had we aquired a 23~24 year old Matt Schaub. Sure, he wasn't a better athlete at 23 as opposed to 26, but 23 year old bodies heal better, faster.

26, 27, 28... could be some of the best years for a QB. Helps if he's not "adjusting" & learning from his mistakes.

It's rare enough to find a diamond in the rough undrafted (Hoyer), or in the 4th round (Savage, a 5th really), or in the third round (Mallett). Even rarer to find that undrafted, 3rd, or 4th round diamond past his 26th birthday.

Rarer, but it does happen from time to time. Rich Gannon being the only one that springs to my mind.

I think it would be better to use the word "inexperienced" as opposed to "young."

Rarer, but it does happen from time to time. Rich Gannon being the only one that springs to my mind.

I think it would be better to use the word "inexperienced" as opposed to "young."

Correct. inexperienced is more accurate than young.

Rich Gannon fits, but for exceptions, I was thinking about guys like Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, & more or less Steve Young. But like you said, all those guys had serious game time before becoming who they became.

We say an NFL player is old when he hits 30 all the time yet saying a guy is young because he hasn't played and suddenly we're all wordsmiths? This has been a long off-season.
As I alluded to, earlier our QBs with their lack of field time/experience/snaps/starts/age/whatever else you want to call it can all learn something from veteran leadership.

Correct. inexperienced is more accurate than young.

Yeah at some point having been in the league for a long time and age have to wipe young off the board and it becomes inexperienced.

Heck I wouldn't call Gannon inexperienced. When he "made it" - he had 58 starts before he got to his right spot. I think the proper term for Gannon is fluke.

Yeah at some point having been in the league for a long time and age have to wipe young off the board and it becomes inexperienced.

Heck I wouldn't call Gannon inexperienced. When he "made it" - he had 58 starts before he got to his right spot. I think the proper term for Gannon is fluke.

Right. Gannon was a fluke as far as finding a good fit & success later in his career. Hopefully that will be Hoyer. But your right, I misspoke when I mentioned Warner, Moon, & Young along with Gannon as exceptions. Those guys played a lot of football (not necessarily in the NFL) by the time they were 26, or 27. They did a lot of the "learning" already by that time. Not so much the case with Mallett, or even Savage who'll be 26 before he even gets a shot at being our back up.

We say an NFL player is old when he hits 30 all the time yet saying a guy is young because he hasn't played and suddenly we're all wordsmiths? This has been a long off-season.
As I alluded to, earlier our QBs with their lack of field time/experience/snaps/starts/age/whatever else you want to call it can all learn something from veteran leadership.

I didn't mean any offense. I thought we were just having fun.

Let us standardize the terminology.

my proposal:

Young - 25 or younger.
Inexperienced - less than 16 starts.

You can be either, neither or both.

I'm really glad the off season is winding down.

ps Perhaps RAW - no NFL game experience.

Saints to release LB Junior Galette

Deciding his character issues outweighed his enormous talent and salary-cap hit, the New Orleans Saints will release outside linebacker Junior Galette pending a physical, his agent, Alvin Keels Jr., confirmed to The Associated Press.

Galette, 27, signed a four-year, $41.5 million contract extension last September. But he has since been involved in two high-profile allegations of violence that could also have him facing a league suspension.

The Saints got just one season and 10 sacks out of Junior Galette's $41.5 million extension, but they didn't let their investment dictate their decision to release him.

Keels said Galette is expected to undergo a physical Saturday and, if he passes, should be released by Monday. Galette had suffered a torn pectoral muscle in the weight room this summer but learned he would not require surgery and was hoping to resume practice during training camp.

Galette was scheduled to meet with NFL officials last month in New York to determine whether any punishment is warranted for a January arrest on a domestic violence charge for allegedly pushing a female houseguest -- although the case was dismissed. Galette told New Orleans' WWL-TV that the meeting took place, but the league wouldn't confirm this, saying it was a confidential part of the process.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13313271/new-orleans-saints-release-linebacker-junior-galette

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL
Cam Worthy, waived injured by Ravens, got second opinion from Dr. James Andrews last week may need foot surgery has had stress fractures

Ravens... waive-injured WR Cam Worthy: http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-ravens-sign-tom-nelson-to-play-receiver-waivedinjured-cam-worthy-20150729-story.html…

A bit of a surprise, I wonder if they plan to re-sign him and did this to nullify the 3-year deal they inked him to in May?

I bet he clears waivers; which should put him back to their IR.

I still am utterly pissed that we drafted Posey as high as we did

You know how you screwed up several years ago, told your girlfriend about it, but she keeps bringing it up, slapping you in the face with it? That's what this is like.

It feels like we drafted Devier Posey seven times already.

I still am utterly pissed that we drafted Posey as high as we did

Well, the Jets traded down in the third round, swapping places with us in exchange for him and two additional draft picks (a high third-rounder and a seventh rounder). On the bright side, our third round (70th) choice to the Texans was used to obtain Strong. In return, the Jets received a third-round pick (82 overall), a fifth-rounder (152) and a seventh-rounder (229).

Well, the Jets traded down in the third round, swapping places with us in exchange for him and two additional draft picks (a high third-rounder and a seventh rounder). On the bright side, our third round (70th) choice to the Texans was used to obtain Strong. In return, the Jets received a third-round pick (82 overall), a fifth-rounder (152) and a seventh-rounder (229).

Posey?

Back