Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Good news, bad news. I start a new job on Monday morning. I need some volunteers to help takeover the administration of our mock draft.

Yeah, the deeper we go, the longer it gets.

You would think the first round would move pretty quick. Most people know who the top prospects are. It shouldn't be hard to send a top five list if you aren't going to be around.

If we're already using the full four hours for some of the picks now I'd guess that most will be that way by the third round.

I'd love to go the full seven but I see group picks coming for the majority of the selections.

The Green Bay Packers select
Ohio State ILB Ryan Shazier

Damn, I was hoping he would fall to #26 for the Browns. I see him as a 34 ILB too, but a lot of sites have him listed as an OLB. He wasn't much of a pass rusher at OSU, so I don't really see why someone would draft him high for that position. Most of the times he got to the QB it was on a delayed rush against no blockers. He's great against the run, and he can drop in coverage, so I like him.

24(24) Cincinnati Bengals (NCTexan) On The Clock 2:40-6:40 (PM SENT)
25(25) San Diego Chargers (Texan4Ever) PMed me top 4.
26(26) Cleveland Browns (From Colts) (Dutchrudder) GET READY
27(27) New Orleans Saints (Coon) GET READY
28(28) Carolina Panthers (Bah007) GET READY

You would think the first round would move pretty quick. Most people know who the top prospects are. It shouldn't be hard to send a top five list if you aren't going to be around.

If we're already using the full four hours for some of the picks now I'd guess that most will be that way by the third round.

I'd love to go the full seven but I see group picks coming for the majority of the selections.

Sorry if I held us up. Got tied up unexpectedly at work. I'll have my list for next picks ready.

I think Shazier's best fit is WLB in a 43, but I do think he is capable of being your coverage and blitzing ILB in a 34 if you put him right next to a run plugger.

Where does Donald fit in Philly? Excellent value there but I thought they were running a 34?

Sorry if I held us up. Got tied up unexpectedly at work. I'll have my list for next picks ready.

I wasn't trying to point out anybody specifically. You made your pick within the time limit.

I just think it would be a good idea if everybody had a list prepared just in case they won't be here to make their pick.

Same here. Don't really like him in a 34 at all.

I'm curious about this as well.

I think Shazier's best fit is WLB in a 43, but I do think he is capable of being your coverage and blitzing ILB in a 34 if you put him right next to a run plugger.

Where does Donald fit in Philly? Excellent value there but I thought they were running a 34?

Well the OSU defense was running 34 and 43 looks all year, yet Shazier played MLB or ILB in all those sets. I don't see how he would have any trouble playing MLB in a 43 or ILB in a 34. He only blitzed maybe 10% of the time from what I saw. The majority of the time he was plugging up holes against the run, dropping back in zone coverage or keeping up with a TE.

Well the OSU defense was running 34 and 43 looks all year, yet Shazier played MLB or ILB in all those sets. I don't see how he would have any trouble playing MLB in a 43 or ILB in a 34. He only blitzed maybe 10% of the time from what I saw. The majority of the time he was plugging up holes against the run, dropping back in zone coverage or keeping up with a TE.

I'm not saying he can't play it. I'm saying I don't like it because I don't think you are maximizing his skill set by playing him in a 34. I think he's Sean Weatherspoon / Lavonte David as a WLB.

The Bengals select Jason Verrett, CB, TCU.

Bengals are getting older at corner, and even with the recent Dre Kirkpatrick pick they could use some help here. Verrett is interesting cause he's small, and some teams have down graded him for it. However he plays big and does well against larger recievers. He will help strengthen the defense and hopefully help them take a step forward.

Bengals are getting older at corner, and even with the recent Dre Kirkpatrick pick they could use some help here. Verrett is interesting cause he's small, and some teams have down graded him for it. However he plays big and does well against larger recievers. He will help strengthen the defense and hopefully help them take a step forward.

Great pick. He would be really useful with Leon Hall coming off another leg injury and Newman/Jones both getting older. Not to mention, Kirkpatrick hasn't been all that great so far.

That would be nice. We may get hung up on coon's pick. It may have moved faster than he anticipated, as he hasn't been on since yesterday.

I hope not although his deadline will probably be up right around 9pm. Dutch, Bah007, Blake, and I will probably have all of our picks out in no time.

Solid pick.

Great pick. He would be really useful with Leon Hall coming off another leg injury and Newman/Jones both getting older. Not to mention, Kirkpatrick hasn't been all that great so far.

Solid pick.

Thanks guys!

It so hard to get a feel of where he's going to go. If he was bigger he'd be first round no doubt. I've seen him drop on a couple of mocks/big boards because of his size, but I think he's worth a later first.

Thanks guys!

It so hard to get a feel of where he's going to go. If he was bigger he'd be first round no doubt. I've seen him drop on a couple of mocks/big boards because of his size, but I think he's worth a later first.

If he was 6'0, he's fighting Gilbert and Dennard for a top 10 pick. I actually like him more than Dennard to be honest. My top 3 CB's are...

1. Gilbert
2. Verrett
3. Dennard

JCTexan PMed me his pick.

Kansas City Chiefs (JCTexan) Marqise Lee - WR - USC

Explanation:

Alex Smith is a classic game-manager who needs complementary playmakers around him to be at his best. Marqise Lee has explosive straight-line speed, is savvy as a route-runner and should give the Chiefs a solid #2 WR opposite Dwayne Bowe.

Damn, I was hoping he would fall to #26 for the Browns. I see him as a 34 ILB too, but a lot of sites have him listed as an OLB. He wasn't much of a pass rusher at OSU, so I don't really see why someone would draft him high for that position. Most of the times he got to the QB it was on a delayed rush against no blockers. He's great against the run, and he can drop in coverage, so I like him.

I thought about Shazier for the Lions at #10. The main problem with their pass defense last yr is the needed a coverage LB. Dennard was too good to pas up though.

didn't want to slow things down so PM'd Blake my three choices-

ironicly pretty much where they all wound up going -

22. Aaron Donald, DE/DT, PITT, 6-1 285 ACC

22b. Jason Varrett, CB, TCU, 5-9 189 BIG 12

22c. Marqise Lee, WR, USC, 6-0 192 PAC-12

nice job everyone :barman:

Thanks guys!

I love Lamarcus Joyner and considered him at 20 but his size put me off.

So if you all could lay off him until 52 that would be sweet :)

Explanation:

Alex Smith is a classic game-manager who needs complementary playmakers around him to be at his best. Marqise Lee has explosive straight-line speed, is savvy as a route-runner and should give the Chiefs a solid #2 WR opposite Dwayne Bowe.

Yep.

I really liked that pick.

This is a tough pick, for a lot of reasons. Given the way the draft has fallen so far, and the needs of the Browns, none of my top prospects slipped to this spot. I was hoping one of my ILBs would fall (Mosley or Shazier), or a top CB (all 3 taken), or the top OG in Filo, or a FS like Dix or Pryor. Apparently we all have similar boards... :(

With the early pick of Bortles, it's important to compliment the QB, and while Cleveland has another pick at #35 that could easily be a great WR, I'm concerned that the WRs I want won't be there. So with the 26th pick in the 2014 TT Mock Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...

Odell Beckham Jr. - WR - LSU - SEC

hi-res-Preview_crop_north.jpg

OB highlights

The Browns need another WR threat across from Josh Gordon, who is an elite WR. I think Beckham will thrive with Gordon getting the bulk of the attention from opposing defense, and having Jordan Cameron doing his thing over the middle and down the seam. The three of them will create quite a trio of difficult matchups for opposing defenses. I see Beckham as more of a slot receiver in the NFL, but he does have the speed to go long on some routes. I like his hands a lot, he made some insane catches at LSU this past year, and he comes from a pro-style offense, where he was running a good amount of different routes. I think he will transition to the NFL just fine, but it might take a year for him to get up to speed since he's a junior.

This pick also fills a return-man need for the Browns. Travis Benjamin is recovering from a torn ACL last season, and I don't know if he can continue to be the main returnman for the team. Beckham has a lot of experience in this role having returned kicks for LSU the past 2 years. I expect Beckham and Benjamin to be the 2 kick returner and Beckham to become the team's punt returner.

Is there a chance that Timmy Jernigan is available for Texans at 2.1?

Probably not, now that you said it...

New England does need to replace Wilfork, but that's the only team I see between now and 33 that needs a DT. A lot of the upcoming teams need help at WR, which is what forced me to take Beckham now, instead of hoping he falls to 35.

Back