Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2011 Houston Cougars Thread

i would say this game is just about over, there goes 17 million for conference USA, and Houstons chance at a BCS bowl game

Maybe all the hype surrounding the team just went to their heads. Still a great season by UH but it would have been awesome to see them in a BCS bowl.

So....12-1? We all good with that? 12-1 sound good?

That's what we're looking at here. Without a defense this team was just going to cruise on into a BCS bowl and take a giant dump all over itself. The older I get the more I want to see defense played well. When I was younger I wanted an offense that scored a lot of points all the time in the teams I followed. Not as much since really about 1993. I want defense and without having it to compliment the other side all those stats and points just don't really matter. Halfway through this season I was starting to think that the Cougars defense was coming around. They seemed to be making strides in their 3-4. Today shows me that they may have been getting better but they still have no real talent over there. One or two guys and that's it. I don't get how you can recruit an offense that can do all of these things and can't find players on the other side.

i would say this game is just about over, there goes 17 million for conference USA, and Houstons chance at a BCS bowl game

If CUSA were still a conference that might matter and some calls (that did not effect the outcome) might have gone the other way.

I know what you mean however, I don't think he had a chance even if he had blown this one out. The way the media has been falling all over luck and RIII.

He at least had a decent chance to be one of the finalists who go to New York. I don't think he even gets that now.

This smells soooooooo freaking bad.

UH’s Sumlin To Be Named Texas A&M Coach Within 24 Hours

LINK

I didn't realize they had the right to talk to him, but I never can get those rules straight.

LINK

I didn't realize they had the right to talk to him, but I never can get those rules straight.

It's the stupidity of NCAA Football. A team could be headed to the biggest game in school history and their coach can up and leave them. It happened a few years ago when Cincinnati's coach left for Notre Dame when they were in a BCS Bowl game.

LINK

DG4Fb.gif

It's the stupidity of NCAA Football. A team could be headed to the biggest game in school history and their coach can up and leave them. It happened a few years ago when Cincinnati's coach left for Notre Dame when they were in a BCS Bowl game.

The bigger the money gets, the harder and harder it gets for a non-elite to break through the ceiling and become a stable and elite program. Between being left out of "power" conferences and losing every coach that builds your program, the game is just rigged to keep the big boys at the top.

The bigger the money gets, the harder and harder it gets for a non-elite to break through the ceiling and become a stable and elite program. Between being left out of "power" conferences and losing every coach that builds your program, the game is just rigged to keep the big boys at the top.

Thank goodness for Chris Petersen at Boise State and Gary Patterson at TCU.

They're the only ones who have stuck it out at non big six schools.

Now if they could only get a shot at the title.

LINK

More evidence that Bowen Loftin is a moron. Has Kevin Sumlin even won a conference championship? The dude can't win a mid major conference and Loftin wants him to take the A&M football program into the toughest division of the best conference in the country? lol

I've never posted on TT for Coogs(I'm a current student and have followed them since before enrolling a few years ago), I'm pretty down. I'm still proud of what they've accomplished though.

LINK

I figured as much. UH looked just like a team playing for a lame duck.

LINK

I was really pissed off but now I'm kinda fine with it. Thanks for keeping the momentum Art Briles generated moving and we'll go find another coach. That coach will get to move into a new stadium and hopefully an AQ conference.

It was still a great season and it stinks to lose the game and then coach Sumlin too. Congratulations to the team and best of luck to them and Mr. Sumlin in the future he turned U of H around I really hate to see him go.

Just got home from the game and I'm more disappointed than mad. I don't understand why they didn't defer to the second half, it was beyond windy at Robertson today.

I was really pissed off but now I'm kinda fine with it. Thanks for keeping the momentum Art Briles generated moving and we'll go find another coach. That coach will get to move into a new stadium and hopefully an AQ conference.

On second thought, I'm fine with it too. A&M's freshman year in the SEC will be entertaining.

I have ZERO respect for Kevin Sumlin. I'm an A&M fan (attended there for two years) but also being a UH fan (and graduate), I hope A&M crashes and burns with Sumlin as the head coach. A head coach should not be allowed to ditch his team when they are on track to having the greatest season they have ever had. Just pathetic...

I have ZERO respect for Kevin Sumlin. I'm an A&M fan (attended there for two years) but also being a UH fan (and graduate), I hope A&M crashes and burns with Sumlin as the head coach. A head coach should not be allowed to ditch his team when they are on track to having the greatest season they have ever had. Just pathetic...

He's a perfect fit for how they run things over there.

What a shitty loss. The whole thing with Sumlin, may have taken the wind out of the teams sails, IMO. He wants to coach in the SEC, but cant nut up and win a Conference Championship in CONFERENCE USA! :wadepalm:

What a shitty loss. The whole thing with Sumlin, may have taken the wind out of the teams sails, IMO. He wants to coach in the SEC, but cant nut up and win a Conference Championship in CONFERENCE USA! :wadepalm:

Exactly. Dude can't win a championship in a mid major conference, but he is going to lead the Aggies to the SEC promised land? :lol:

Isn't the choice his to make?

Yeah it is Gary. I'm thinking that many UH supporters have a bad taste in their mouth from how Briles left 4 years ago. Couple that with the timing of these other colleges performing a coaching hunt just prior to the Coog's biggest game, you get this reaction. I do not blame them (alums/fans) one bit though, to act as if ASU and A&M pursuing Sumlin does not have an effect on the team is wishful thinking. Personally I don't think teams should be able to talk to already employed coaches for jobs until the season is over, after the last bowl game has been played. Until the rules state otherwise it will continue to happen.

After the latest fiasco at A&M I can never look at them the same as in the past. That wholesome, 12th man, underdog, full of integrity, honorable, fightin' farmer facade that A&M has been portraying over the years has just kind of gone to crap over the past few months. Looks like they are just as "evil" as everyone else.

That's a shame. Pretty classy display by the SMU players at the end there. Sumlin should thank Art Briles and Case Keenum for making him rich.

The whole team just did not play well at all today but overall Sumlin has done a decent job with this team.

If it is revealed that Sumlin interviewed with A&M this week instead of preparing for the biggest game in UH football history, I will have ZERO respect for him and will lose even more respect for the NCAA. This is just what that P.O.S. Art Briles did.

The BCS schools get all the money and can do whatever they want.

This is why I am a NFL fan first and a college football fan second. I love my Coogs and I want them to win but when the rules are not the same for all the teams, and when other schools are allowed to talk to other head coaches during the season it makes it so hard to succeed and keep succeeding.

If it is revealed that Sumlin interviewed with A&M this week instead of preparing for the biggest game in UH football history, I will have ZERO respect for him and will lose even more respect for the NCAA. This is just what that P.O.S. Art Briles did.

The BCS schools get all the money and can do whatever they want.

This is why I am a NFL fan first and a college football fan second. I love my Coogs and I want them to win but when the rules are not the same for all the teams, and when other schools are allowed to talk to other head coaches during the season it makes it so hard to succeed and keep succeeding.

This. I've enjoyed the ride but I'm pissed right now. The game the means the most and they laid an egg. A midst the A&M talk makes it seem worse at the moment. Maybe it's the booze talking, but it seems UH played its worst football of the year at the same time the Sumlin/A&M speculation is going on. Sometimes I hate being a Houston sports fan, and today is one of those days.

Shame on A&M and shame on Sumlin.

What goes around comes around. I watched a little bit of the game, and the whole team just seemed stuck in the mud and un-inspired. I's sure they knew. Someone, somewhere, probably got wind of it and the whole team knew.

The NCAA should figure out a way to curb this trend.

Wow! Went from a possible Sugar Bowl berth to not even getting to the Liberty Bowl to what, some Maxi Pad.com bowl? Typical Houston sports.

Yeah it is Gary. I'm thinking that many UH supporters have a bad taste in their mouth from how Briles left 4 years ago. Couple that with the timing of these other colleges performing a coaching hunt just prior to the Coog's biggest game, you get this reaction. I do not blame them (alums/fans) one bit though, to act as if ASU and A&M pursuing Sumlin does not have an effect on the team is wishful thinking. Personally I don't think teams should be able to talk to already employed coaches for jobs until the season is over, after the last bowl game has been played. Until the rules state otherwise it will continue to happen.

After the latest fiasco at A&M I can never look at them the same as in the past. That wholesome, 12th man, underdog, full of integrity, honorable, fightin' farmer facade that A&M has been portraying over the years has just kind of gone to crap over the past few months. Looks like they are just as "evil" as everyone else.

"rhythmic slapping sounds"

Not quite as evil as everyone else

I love college football, but I don't get the BCS system at all...

Who will take Houston's place in the Sugar Bowl now? Southern Mississippi?

I think Boise State most likely will get an at large bid.

So acccording to Yahoo, here's the scenario...

The most direct beneficiary of the Cougars' collapse appears to be Michigan, ranked 16th in the current standings, which will almost certainly be in line for an at-large bid if it moves into the top 14 in the final standings on Sunday night; Houston's loss, along with a loss by Michigan State or Wisconsin in tonight's Big Ten Championship Game, virtually guarantees that the Wolverines will get there as the second choice out of the Big Ten. The last spot could go to any number of contenders, most likely the Big 12 runner-up (either Oklahoma State or Kansas State, depending on how the Cowboys' fare tonight against Oklahoma) or Mountain West champion TCU, which could be in line for an automatic nod if it moves from No. 18 in the current standings to No. 16 in the final version. If that happens, the Horned Frogs will save the big payday for the smaller conferences that Houston's loss threatens to take away.

The last at-large bid almost certainly will not go to the Mountain West runner-up, Boise State, which could finish in the top five and still find itself snubbed thanks to a missed field goal on Nov. 12 that delivered the MWC title to the Horned Frogs. On such margins, millions could change hands.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...st-a-lot-of-people-a-lot-of?urn=ncaaf-wp10973

This was the first full uh game I watched this year. The defense was awful. Some of those guys over there are terrible especially on the d line. They look like they don't belong on a good highschool team let alone a div 1 college team.

I've had little league players with more aggressiveness and thump.

I don't get the sumlin hype. Well, I think he is a decent coach but I don't think he is the second coming. Great coaches don't have their teams outclassed like that by southern miss. Their talent wasn't all that. The coogs just were not into that game mentally. They weren't locked in. If that is because of the rumors regarding sumlin, shame on him.

If I'm the aggies no way am I bringing in sumlin to be my head coach though. He won't last long in the sec.

There are rumors floating out there that Sumlin told the team before the game or put in his resignation and the team found out at halftime depending on whose story you want to believe. He is lower than ****ing Briles to me if he did that to those players.

It would just be par for the course because every year since he has been at UH the team is totally unprepared in its biggest games of the season.

There are rumors floating out there that Sumlin told the team before the game or put in his resignation and the team found out at halftime depending on whose story you want to believe. He is lower than ****ing Briles to me if he did that to those players.

It would just be par for the course because every year since he has been at UH the team is totally unprepared in its biggest games of the season.

Gotta love those baseless rumors.

Back