Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2011   #181
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't think that his injury is serious enough to require surgical repair. Rotoworld report only one that mentions surgery and their writer noted to me that he made a mistake misreading McClain's report thinking it said surgery.
Thank you for your research. From the available info, the distal tendon being torn is most likely. As I posted prior to you joining us, I agree with you that if a "medical procedure" was performed , it was most likely PRP injections

Things are very screwy and difficult to trust when one report by McClain specifies "medical procedure" then a following update (9:35 pm) of the article states:

Quote:
Depending on how fast he recovers after undergoing a surgical procedure to prevent scar tissue from forming around a slight tear in his right hamstring, there's an outside chance Johnson might be ready for the Oct. 23 game against the Titans.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #182
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thank you for your research. From the available info, the distal tendon being torn is most likely. As I posted prior to you joining us, I agree with you that if a "medical procedure" was performed , it was most likely PRP injections

Things are very screwy and difficult to trust when one report by McClain specifies "medical procedure" then a following update (9:35 pm) of the article states:

link
Interesting. I will see what I can find out. Is it surgical procedure or mistaken reference. Perhaps aspirating a pocket of blood? Reduce scar tissue but doesn't really aid recovery. What surgical procedure could have him ready by Titans game? BTW agents reference to HIPAA is joke- not relevant to discussion.
Old 10-04-2011   #183
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Oh I completely understand their choice of approach. When there's multiple choices available, always pick the incompetent one...it's what this team does. They consistently mishandle injuries on this team...just look at Arian.
Aint this the truth. Wish I could rep you.

Who on this MB has faith in the Texans medical staff? I'm calling you out Dr. Lowe

How the Texans have downplayed injuries from Boselli to Joppru to DDW to AF to AJ is flat out sickening to me.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #184
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Oh I completely understand their choice of approach. When there's multiple choices available, always pick the incompetent one...it's what this team does. They consistently mishandle injuries on this team...just look at Arian.
Funny you should say that. I was driving in the car listening to sports radio and was thinking the same thing. I was wondering about our strength conditioning and medical team. We seem to have a lot of injuries, and then seem to bungle the recovery of most of them.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #185
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting. I will see what I can find out. Is it surgical procedure or mistaken reference. Perhaps aspirating a pocket of blood? Reduce scar tissue but doesn't really aid recovery. What surgical procedure could have him ready by Titans game? BTW agents reference to HIPAA is joke- not relevant to discussion.
Draining a hematoma after 48 hours would likely require incisional (surgical) drainage since it would likely be clotted by then. Aspiration would be expected right after its formation or about 10 days later when it usually begins liquifying. Being able to remove a pocket of blood (hematoma) could theoretically lessen the inflammatory effects on the surrounding tissues and lessen the morbidity during healing, rather than allow it to absorb naturally over time. Whatever accurate info you can obtain would be nice. Your sources still may not be willing to finger the problem. Good luck (sincerely).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #186
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Aint this the truth. Wish I could rep you.

Who on this MB has faith in the Texans medical staff? I'm calling you out Dr. Lowe

How the Texans have downplayed injuries from Boselli to Joppru to DDW to AF to AJ is flat out sickening to me.
There are strategic reasons to do so with AJ. Make other team prepare for him.
Old 10-04-2011   #187
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

ok so i will look for him to suit up next week then i wish the FO office would keep us fans informed, all this B.S about his injury either means its worse our not as bad, i will just expect him to play every week that'll be the easiest way to avoid Message board suicide
Old 10-04-2011   #188
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

"platelet rich plasma injections"

I used to watch Star Trek the Next Generation all the time. This sounds exactly like something Dr. Beverly Crusher would do.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #189
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Seriously the one time Schaub is able to complete a pass like that and it hurts his star WR. This franchise's luck
Old 10-04-2011   #190
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are strategic reasons to do so with AJ. Make other team prepare for him.
So you have faith in the Texans medical staff?

Inspite of their track record.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #191
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

The NFL is a violent sport. Some things are not preventable. I have no opinion one way or another. I do not believe hamstring injuries are easily preventable. Biggest risk factor is being fast.
Old 10-04-2011   #192
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
ok so i will look for him to suit up next week then i wish the FO office would keep us fans informed, all this B.S about his injury either means its worse our not as bad, i will just expect him to play every week that'll be the easiest way to avoid Message board suicide
If we, the fans, are informed then all the teams we'll be facing will also be informed.

I prefer to be ignorant if it gives the team an advantage because the opposing team doesn't know what to prepare for.

Transparency is all great and wonderful in business but in football, I want it totally opaque. At least when it comes to my team.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #193
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that Steph has ABSOLUTELY no faith in the Texans Medical staff..... As any of would have!!!! #Liars!!!

Whatever they say,,, Go oppo!!!
Old 10-04-2011   #194
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually.... I'm residing myself to the possibility that we may or may not see AJ back this season (If at all), late in the season,,,,,,,,

Oh well, sucks for us!!!

My thoughts are still playoffs or BUST!!!
Old 10-05-2011   #195
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The NFL is a violent sport. Some things are not preventable. I have no opinion one way or another. I do not believe hamstring injuries are easily preventable. Biggest risk factor is being fast.
While some injuries cannot be helped, hamstring injuries can be prevented. Injury prevention should be the strength and conditioning staffs primary job. The fastest way to achieve optimal performance is to get an athlete as healthy as possible. Look for muscle imbalances and correct them, look for restrictions in proper joint mobility and improper posture and correct these issues, and properly condition your athletes so that fatigue isn't a factor. I would say the biggest risk factors in hamstring injuries are muscle imbalances, postural issues, and improper mobility not being fast sprinter. Speed is related to the amount of mass specific force you produce, the more force you put into the ground per pound of bodyweight the faster your run. If you can produce the force you should be able to handle it.

Here's where the above mentioned factors become an issue, if you have muscle imbalances you are asking certain muscles to do more than their fair share of the work involved in producing movement. These overloaded muscles have a higher propensity for straining. For example, the gluteals are the body's primary hip extenders, the hamstrings aid in this function. If the glutes are weak or inhibited than the hamstrings will try to perform more than their fair share making injury likely. If the quads are too strong then they can over stress the hamstrings, as they work in opposition, making injury more likely.

Poor posture, primarily an anterior pelvic tilt, can over stretch the hamstrings, which can increase the likelihood of injury. The more a muscle is stretched the less force it can produce/handle. Weak abdominals, obliques and tight hip flexors create this issue and over stress the hammies. This anterior pelvic tilt can also inhibit the gluteals - which causes issues as stated above.

Improper weight training can also lead to injury. When sprinting, the muscles involved have to turn on and off very rapidly. The difference between elite athletes and average Joes is seen not only in their ability to turn their muscles on to a higher degree but also to turn them off to a greater degree. If the muscle is carrying too much tension at a time when it is supposed to be relaxed then injury can occur. Weight training can foul this sequence up if the training program is improperly set up. Noted strength coach Barry Ross ( the strength coach for Allison Felix, one of the top 200 meter sprinters in the world) focuses much of his training around the deadlift. When performing the DL, he has his athletes drop the bar once it gets above the knees to avoid a slow eccentric contraction with a heavy load. These slow eccentric contractions can cause issues in sprinters performing high speed sprints. Noted strength coach Charles Poliquin has stated the fastest way to pull a hamstring is to have athletes leg press and perform leg curls. These two exercise complete ignore the hamstrings primary function of hip extension, predisposing it for injury. Fast eccentrics, such as plyometrics and exercises such as the kettlebell swing, can help prevent muscle strains by exposing the muscles to higher stretch loads but in a manageable way.

Admittedly there are lot of factors involved in prevention, but hamstring issues can be avoided. There are some issues that may not be avoided. All athletes get fatigued during competition and when muscles are fatigued they can't handle the same forces as when they're fresh - the easy answer would be to get into proper condition so that fatigue doesn't happen as easily. Additionally, when being tackled or trying to avoid a tackle the athlete can get into funky positions which can over stress a muscles, but fast eccentrics can aid in this situation as well by creating a better tolerance for higher stretch loads.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #196
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So nonoperative treatment has an average recovery period of 10.4 weeks? But immediate surgery has an average recovery period time of 6.8 weeks? Can you explain why the Texans doctors aren't opting for immediate surgery?
I'm thinking CnD's prognosis takes into account complete tears of the tendon in question.

I would imagine the recovery time would depend on the severity of the tear.

Also, unless it is a complete tear, I don't think surgery can do anything for it.
Old 10-05-2011   #197
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Actually.... I'm residing myself to the possibility that we may or may not see AJ back this season (If at all), late in the season,,,,,,,,

Oh well, sucks for us!!!

My thoughts are still playoffs or BUST!!!
Other than Aj saying he is fine & the time out is just precautionary.
Old 10-05-2011   #198
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
"platelet rich plasma injections"

If they used baby unicorn stem cells, I would be totally OK with it.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #199
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Without having read anything in this entire thread my assumption is that he will be out 3 weeks.

He will miss the Raiders at home, Ravens on the road, and Titans on the road. He will be back for the Jags at home.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #200
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It is what it is!! We can speculate about AJs injury until hell freezes over, and it will STILL be what it is!! Only AJ and his Docs know for sure, and that's fine with me!! We, as fans, are NOT on a need to know basis! If we are told the truth then the rest of the NFL knows the truth. I'm just fine with a bunch of misleading statements, if it throws off the balance in our favor. An "elite" team will find a way to win without their "STARS." We have a lot of weapons on our offense, JAMES CASEY, to mention one, and I think our guys will go out and bust ass for a win!! It's a TEAM sport! I hope we are never identified like the Colts, a team that is nothing without that ONE special player! Truthfully, I think our mild, easy going, soft spoken AJ, will be our biggest cheerleader for the next 3,6,9,10 whatever, wks he is out! He believes in this team, and every player on our team respects the heck out of AJ. Gotta have faith, and I intend to keep on believing in this team, even though I still close my eyes and hold my breath everytime JJ gets the ball!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read