Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 Schedule all but set.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...ule-almost-set

Thanks to Alan Burge for his eternally interesting subject matter:
Quote:
In addition to playing 6 games against AFC South opponents next season, the Texans will play 4 inter-conference games against the NFC East and 4 intra-conference games against the AFC West.

The home and away sites for NFC East opponents will be the same as in 2002 and the sites for AFC West opponents will be the same as in 2004.

The two games yet to be determined (against AFC North and AFC East opponents) are based on final standings which won't be determined until Sunday night.

The Texans will play the AFC North opponent at home and the AFC East opponent on the road, however, the Texans could finish anywhere from 2nd place to 4th place in the AFC South so it won't be known until Sunday night if the home opponent is Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Cleveland, and if the road opponent is the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills.

Here's how the Texans 2010 schedule looks if you're making early plans:

Home: Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Dallas, NY Giants, San Diego, Oakland, AFC North opponent (either Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Cleveland).

Away: Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, Denver, Kansas City, AFC East opponent (either NY Jets, Miami, or Buffalo).
Considering, I like how our home / away games work out as it pertains to some of the tougher opponents appearing at home.

Biggest non-division challenge in my eyes is unquestionably Philadelphia.

Despite Sunday's upcoming game and the guaranteed excitement to follow, I can't help but begin to get excited about next year already!!

Go Texans!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Schedule all but set.

I like how the best teams on the schedule are home games. The away ones are tough but Philly is just about the only one that really scares me. We can win the other ones.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #3
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah that's one heckuva home schedule. Y'all with season tickets are getting your money's worth next year.

I could see Reliant getting a national game (or maybe two) next year too. I'd love to see Texans/Dallas on SNF (I like it better than Monday, sue me) at least. That one's going to get nasty.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #4
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

i hope we play cleveland and miami LOL
SteveSlaton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #5
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
i hope we play cleveland and miami LOL
not likely I'm afraid.
with it looking like we'll finish 2nd in the division, we'll probably draw the 2nd place team in those divisions.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Next year will be awesome. This team will be forced to bring it for 60 minutes.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Philadelphia by the way is the only team a Houston team has never beat. The Oilers never beat them and the Texans are 0-2 against them. Time to beat the Eagles.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2009   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Philadelphia by the way is the only team a Houston team has never beat. The Oilers never beat them and the Texans are 0-2 against them. Time to beat the Eagles.
Thanks for that awe inspiring and uplifting tidbit.
Old 12-29-2009   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I read somewhere that we play Dallas there. I've already heard a lot of fans say they are making plans to go to Dallas. I'm confused. BUT, sure hopei it is a home game
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I read somewhere that we play Dallas there. I've already heard a lot of fans say they are making plans to go to Dallas. I'm confused. BUT, sure hopei it is a home game
It's a home game. It's our third regular season game with Dallas, the first of course we all remember. The second we lost in Dallas, so it's back here for 2010. I'm sure we'll all be pumped up for that game. I sure as hell know I will be.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #11
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
The Dallas game will be at home because we played there in 2006.

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Thanks for that awe inspiring and uplifting tidbit.
Well, here's some good news for you Bill. The Oilers never beat the Giants but the Texans have.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Well, here's some good news for you Bill. The Oilers never beat the Giants but the Texans have.
Nice!! Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009   #14
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

A great link to show the future schedules for the Texans all the way up to 2017, based on previous seasons and you can see he hit 2010 on the head. Just the teams we play and not set schedules.

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedu...uture_afcs.htm
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #15
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...ule-almost-set

Thanks to Alan Burge for his eternally interesting subject matter:

Considering, I like how our home / away games work out as it pertains to some of the tougher opponents appearing at home.

Biggest non-division challenge in my eyes is unquestionably Philadelphia.

Despite Sunday's upcoming game and the guaranteed excitement to follow, I can't help but begin to get excited about next year already!!

Go Texans!
Thanks for the great information. Something I've always wondered about, though. Do the games against the same place finisher from the other divisions (in the case of 2010, the AFC East and North) rotate as far as home and away? In 2007, when we played all the teams from the AFC West, we played the Dolphins (East) at home and the Browns (North) away. In 2010, it looks like that switches (North at home and East on the road)- is that the logic behind the scheduling?
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a couple of primetime games next season. We have had one home primetime game for the past three seasons, so it feels like we're due for a roadie.

The home Dallas game is an obvious choice, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a road divisional game on SNF or MNF. So, that's what I'm going with -- Dallas and @Indy as our primetime games next season.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Next year will be awesome. This team will be forced to bring it for 60 minutes.
Uh...ok. But will they? As we've learned, you can't "force" this team to do anything. They wake up when they feel like it.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #18
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Yeah that's one heckuva home schedule. Y'all with season tickets are getting your money's worth next year.
We will see. I'm not getting too excited about anything just yet. I was excited about the Dallas game, but that has waned a bit.

This team can't handle high pressure games, and can't handle high expectations. So I'll wait and see how they do against next year's tough schedule before I get too excited.

The division games are likely to be mostly losses, the NY Giants will be better than we all think, and San Diego will be a challenge.

Like I said, we'll see.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
Thanks for the great information. Something I've always wondered about, though. Do the games against the same place finisher from the other divisions (in the case of 2010, the AFC East and North) rotate as far as home and away? In 2007, when we played all the teams from the AFC West, we played the Dolphins (East) at home and the Browns (North) away. In 2010, it looks like that switches (North at home and East on the road)- is that the logic behind the scheduling?
Quote:
Currently, each team's 16-game regular season schedule is set using a pre-determined formula:

A sample scheduling grid, with a single team's (the Browns) schedule highlighted. Under this hypothetical schedule, the Browns played the teams in blue twice and the teams in yellow once, for a total of 16 gamesEach team plays the other three teams in their division twice: once at home, and once on the road (six games).

*Each team plays the four teams from another division within its own conference once on a rotating three-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).
*Each team plays the four teams from a division in the other conference once on a rotating four-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).
*Each team plays once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road (two games).

This schedule guarantees that all teams will play each other at least once every four years, and will play in every other team's stadium at least once every eight years. This schedule also guarantees that regardless of a given team's final divisional placement in the previous season, the 16 games that team plays in this current season will consist of:

*four games against opponents who finished the previous season in first place in their respective divisions,
*four games against opponents who finished the previous season in second place in their respective divisions,
*four games against opponents who finished the previous season in third place in their respective divisions, and
*four games against opponents who finished the previous season in fourth place in their respective divisions.
From wiki: Schedule formula
Old 12-29-2009   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
The pattern for intra-conference games by position is Home - Home - Away - Away.

That's why the Texans played the Dolphins at Reliant in both 2007 and 2008 and why the next two intra-conference games by position against the AFCE will be away (in '10 and '11).

In 2009 the AFC South played the AFC East so the 3-year home and home rotation took precedence (Texans played at Miami in '03 and '09, and home against Miami in '06).

So the reason Houston played Miami three years in a row (like Cleveland and Oakland it seems) was/is a combination of the 3 year division rotation intra-conference scheduling formula and the intra-conference games by position formula. ... if any of that makes sense...

At any rate, the shorter answer to your question is that the pattern for intra-conference games by position is Home - Home - Away - Away.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read