2010 Schedule all but set.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by barrett, Dec 29, 2009.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m12d28-Texans-2010-schedule-almost-set

Thanks to Alan Burge for his eternally interesting subject matter:
    Considering, I like how our home / away games work out as it pertains to some of the tougher opponents appearing at home.

Biggest non-division challenge in my eyes is unquestionably Philadelphia.

Despite Sunday's upcoming game and the guaranteed excitement to follow, I can't help but begin to get excited about next year already!!

Go Texans!

2. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I like how the best teams on the schedule are home games. The away ones are tough but Philly is just about the only one that really scares me. We can win the other ones.

3. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

Yeah that's one heckuva home schedule. Y'all with season tickets are getting your money's worth next year.

I could see Reliant getting a national game (or maybe two) next year too. I'd love to see Texans/Dallas on SNF (I like it better than Monday, sue me) at least. That one's going to get nasty.

4. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

i hope we play cleveland and miami LOL

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

not likely I'm afraid.
    with it looking like we'll finish 2nd in the division, we'll probably draw the 2nd place team in those divisions.

6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Next year will be awesome. This team will be forced to bring it for 60 minutes.

7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Philadelphia by the way is the only team a Houston team has never beat. The Oilers never beat them and the Texans are 0-2 against them. Time to beat the Eagles.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Thanks for that awe inspiring and uplifting tidbit. :gun:

9. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I read somewhere that we play Dallas there. I've already heard a lot of fans say they are making plans to go to Dallas. I'm confused. BUT, sure hopei it is a home game

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

It's a home game. It's our third regular season game with Dallas, the first of course we all remember. The second we lost in Dallas, so it's back here for 2010. I'm sure we'll all be pumped up for that game. I sure as hell know I will be. :)

11. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

The Dallas game will be at home because we played there in 2006.

12. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Well, here's some good news for you Bill. The Oilers never beat the Giants but the Texans have.

13. Texan_Bill

Nice!! Thanks.

14. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

15. tedr

tedr Veteran

Thanks for the great information. Something I've always wondered about, though. Do the games against the same place finisher from the other divisions (in the case of 2010, the AFC East and North) rotate as far as home and away? In 2007, when we played all the teams from the AFC West, we played the Dolphins (East) at home and the Browns (North) away. In 2010, it looks like that switches (North at home and East on the road)- is that the logic behind the scheduling?

16. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a couple of primetime games next season. We have had one home primetime game for the past three seasons, so it feels like we're due for a roadie.

The home Dallas game is an obvious choice, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a road divisional game on SNF or MNF. So, that's what I'm going with -- Dallas and @Indy as our primetime games next season.

17. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Uh...ok. But will they? As we've learned, you can't "force" this team to do anything. They wake up when they feel like it.

18. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

We will see. I'm not getting too excited about anything just yet. I was excited about the Dallas game, but that has waned a bit.

This team can't handle high pressure games, and can't handle high expectations. So I'll wait and see how they do against next year's tough schedule before I get too excited.

The division games are likely to be mostly losses, the NY Giants will be better than we all think, and San Diego will be a challenge.

Like I said, we'll see.

19. Texan_Bill

From wiki: Schedule formula

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The pattern for intra-conference games by position is Home - Home - Away - Away.

That's why the Texans played the Dolphins at Reliant in both 2007 and 2008 and why the next two intra-conference games by position against the AFCE will be away (in '10 and '11).

In 2009 the AFC South played the AFC East so the 3-year home and home rotation took precedence (Texans played at Miami in '03 and '09, and home against Miami in '06).

So the reason Houston played Miami three years in a row (like Cleveland and Oakland it seems) was/is a combination of the 3 year division rotation intra-conference scheduling formula and the intra-conference games by position formula. ... if any of that makes sense...

At any rate, the shorter answer to your question is that the pattern for intra-conference games by position is Home - Home - Away - Away.