Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2009   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Shanahan wish list - no the older one.

Quote:
As Peter King of NBC pointed out during halftime of Saturday's UConn-Notre Dame game, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan will wait until after the season ends to pick his next NFL gig.

There's a rumor in league circles that Shanahan has three teams at the top of his wish list: the Cowboys, Redskins, and Texans.
From PFT.com

This is why that site has a well deserved reputation for BS. You telling us Mike is going to come try to take a job away from Kubiak? or his son? Or that he would do something different here than Kubiak and his son are doing? What got him fired? - bad D. Not seeing how this is a possibility
Old 11-22-2009   #2
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shanahan wish list - no the older one.

...so they sucked you in with all the shiney stuff and flashing lights. Just like my bug zapper.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
From PFT.com

This is why that site has a well deserved reputation for BS. You telling us Mike is going to come try to take a job away from Kubiak? or his son? Or that he would do something different here than Kubiak and his son are doing? What got him fired? - bad D. Not seeing how this is a possibility
While it's not very plausible to happen, the article does state that Houston is on his wish list. So it seems to me that this is just a place he'd like to coach in, and not necessarily that he's being projected to coach here.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Link

As infantrycak said, the notion seems absurd. However, Shanahan has a proven track record as a head coach. He isn't known for gameday brain freezes. And, he runs the the exact same offense the Texans currently employ. Those who fear a complete makeover would be (should be) assuaged. If Kubiak can't get the Texans over the hump, Shanahan would seem to be the safest choice as a replacement.

I'm not advocating Shanahan as the Texans head coach (I'd prefer a defensive-oriented head coach). I don't believe he would stab Kubiak in the back and take his job, either. I'm just saying that he wouldn't be a horrible selection.

Regarding the Cowboys and Skins, Shanahan would be a fool to sign on with these meddling owners. His ego is too big to share the spotlight with these two. Chicago (with his pet QB Cutler) should be his next destination.
Old 11-22-2009   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

See, that's essentially it. The season isn't over. We're 5-4. Now imagine for a moment that we end the year 5-11. Yes, I know it would be a monster collapse but I think something huge like that might very well get Kubiak fired. Then the Texans are in the market for a head coach again and Mike Shanahan is available. The math is easy to do.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm not saying I want it to happen. I'm just saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility and if you put Houston in with the other teams needing a head coach (for any reason) then he's an obvious choice.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Agreed. We wouldn't have a set back because of this, but i don't think we'll need Shanahan. Kubes is going places.
Old 11-22-2009   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Link
If Kubiak can't get the Texans over the hump, Shanahan would seem to be the safest choice as a replacement.
If Bob decides it's time for Kubiak to go.... whoever comes in as the next head coach is going to have a cakewalk..... compared to what Kubiak came to.
Old 11-22-2009   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

As stated previously this is his wish list, not McNairs.

It would be very logical for him to want to come to a team that has already been built in the mold of what he knows and understands. Hell this team is more Broncos, than his last Bronco team.

I will call BS on the way this was stated, because he was big on Kubes getting a shot, I don't see him saying "Uh yeh, I wanna coach in Houston". It was probably more like a question of where he would think he would fit in, and the answer had nothing to do with what team he wanted to take over.
Old 11-22-2009   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Kubiak growing into one of the "great" coaches someday. I'm willing
to allow him to grow into the role, than cut him lose to realize his potential
somewhere else. This team was bereft of talent and direction before Kubes
got here. He changed the losing culture in the locker room, then drafted
players with a hunger for winning and great talent no matter the round.
Hell. Zac Diles is one of the best LB's in the conference, and he's a 7th
round pick!

Kubiak WILL figure out how the great coaches do it, and I'd rather the Texans
benefit from that. The offense is an attacking offense, and our defense just
became an attacking defense. Ain't nothin' passive about the 2009 Texans.
We were 3-6 this time last year, and finished on a 5-2 run to end up 8-8.
That same 5-2 run will put us at 10-6, although this squad is a step ahead
of last year's. Every player, TO A MAN, now wants to win. Gone of the days
of "well, we played our best, and we almost beat these guys. yippie!!" The
disgust in the players' faces after the Colts game showed me they've already
turned the page.

They know they control their own road to the playoffs, and I don't think
they'll allow the Tacks to derail them. ESPECIALLY THOSE TACKS!! The
Texans looked like a little brother who finally decided to kick Big Bro's
ASS on Week 2. Monday Night Football is gonna be ON FIYAAAAHHH!!!
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure Houston is on the wishlist of every offensive minded coach. Mike Martz gets wood every time he talks about the Texans' offense, and the ridiculous talent we have.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if we have a monster collapse Knocks on wood lets hope that does not happen i wouldnt mind canning ol Kubes and bassicaly bringing in his teacher
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course Mort reporting it makes it a mortal lock not to happen

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...20/mmqb/1.html

Quote:
So we'll see, as I said. As for now, I expect the Redskins to hire Mike Shanahan, and for Shanahan to bring in his own coaching staff -- including, as Chris Mortensen reported over the weekend, his son, current Houston offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, as offensive coordinator. I think Mike Shanahan would be energized by the Redskins and by working with Allen, a man as secretive and with the kind of football pedigree he likes, even if it means he has to use this year's first-round pick to find a quarterback instead of building the offensive line, which the Redskins definitely need to do.
Old 12-21-2009   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I see Kubiak growing into one of the "great" coaches someday. I'm willing
to allow him to grow into the role, than cut him lose to realize his potential
somewhere else. This team was bereft of talent and direction before Kubes
got here. He changed the losing culture in the locker room, then drafted
players with a hunger for winning and great talent no matter the round.
Hell. Zac Diles is one of the best LB's in the conference, and he's a 7th
round pick!

Kubiak WILL figure out how the great coaches do it, and I'd rather the Texans
benefit from that. The offense is an attacking offense, and our defense just
became an attacking defense. Ain't nothin' passive about the 2009 Texans.
We were 3-6 this time last year, and finished on a 5-2 run to end up 8-8.
That same 5-2 run will put us at 10-6, although this squad is a step ahead
of last year's. Every player, TO A MAN, now wants to win. Gone of the days
of "well, we played our best, and we almost beat these guys. yippie!!" The
disgust in the players' faces after the Colts game showed me they've already
turned the page.

They know they control their own road to the playoffs, and I don't think
they'll allow the Tacks to derail them. ESPECIALLY THOSE TACKS!! The
Texans looked like a little brother who finally decided to kick Big Bro's
ASS on Week 2. Monday Night Football is gonna be ON FIYAAAAHHH!!!

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
To the uh...Flip Flop you don't stop.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Vinny, that's what I'd thought too when I first read his post. That he'd flipped yet again. but, that post was from a month ago, before he flipped.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
if we have a monster collapse Knocks on wood lets hope that does not happen i wouldnt mind canning ol Kubes and bassicaly bringing in his teacher
I doubt R.C. Slocum would be a good fit for the NFL.
Old 12-21-2009   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

IF we end up replacing Kubiak after this season (Or next) .... I dont want more of the same ZBS crap - I want a coach who will impliment a power running scheme - No to Shanahan , thats just more of the same.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #18
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kyle Shanahan to Redskins?

So we'll see, as I said. As for now, I expect the Redskins to hire Mike Shanahan, and for Shanahan to bring in his own coaching staff -- including, as Chris Mortensen reported over the weekend, his son, current Houston offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, as offensive coordinator. I think Mike Shanahan would be energized by the Redskins and by working with Allen, a man as secretive and with the kind of football pedigree he likes, even if it means he has to use this year's first-round pick to find a quarterback instead of building the offensive line, which the Redskins definitely need to do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...20/mmqb/1.html
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kyle Shanahan to Redskins?

Just so you can read some discussion where this article was quoted

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68109

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67168

I can see it happening
Old 12-21-2009   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Kyle Shanahan to Redskins?

If Shanahan leaves and Kubiak stays I think our WR coach Larry Kirksey is long overdue for a promotion.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=17

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read