Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Carr Leadership Quote

The Pencil Neck said:
To me, this quote:

“Now that we have a system in place where I really understand not just my position, but everybody’s position, I’m going to make sure everyone’s in place and make sure we’re all running the same unit.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2680&section=N Latest News

That says a ton.

I saw that too and I would like a little more elaboration. I have a feeling we are once again leaning a little bit more about what was going on before and it ain't a pretty picture.

Does this mean Carr doesnt need a year to get adjusted to the new play book, and he going to come out with full(or close) comprehension of what is supposed to happen? Time will tell I guess?

TexansBull said:
Does this mean Carr doesnt need a year to get adjusted to the new play book, and he going to come out with full(or close) comprehension of what is supposed to happen? Time will tell I guess?

I think he'll pick it up well (hopefully everyone else will too). He is said to be very smart and very willing to learn from Kubiak, and it seems as though his confidence is at an all-time high. He has really looked sharp at several points in the last three days (he has still had some off throws in there), and he and Andre have looked great together, they seem to really be re-developing that chemistry from two years ago, hopefully this system will develop into multiple Pro Bowl appearances for both of them.

MorKnolle said:
I think he'll pick it up well (hopefully everyone else will too). He is said to be very smart and very willing to learn from Kubiak, and it seems as though his confidence is at an all-time high. He has really looked sharp at several points in the last three days (he has still had some off throws in there), and he and Andre have looked great together, they seem to really be re-developing that chemistry from two years ago, hopefully this system will develop into multiple Pro Bowl appearances for both of them.

You could read it that way--Carr's been misunderstood and misused, and now, at long last, he's got a coach who believes in him, and a team that believes in him, and he's going to make the most of it and show us all what he's made of.

On the other hand he may be just another preppy wuss who has as much business at QB in this league as you or me.

Time will tell indeed.

The Pencil Neck said:
To me, this quote:

“Now that we have a system in place where I really understand not just my position, but everybody’s position, I’m going to make sure everyone’s in place and make sure we’re all running the same unit.”

That says a ton.

I like that better than "this isn't a must win, but a must play well game". Hopefully Kubiak will rid Carr of that Caper's attitude of mediocrocy.

The Pencil Neck said:
To me, this quote:

That says a ton.

I think offensive system he has been under is, you do your job and they will do their jobs. To me kind of like playing chess with half the pieces. One thing I liked hearing was Kubiak said at end of mini-camps "I hope David doesn't lose a step but comes right back where we left off" then seeing this in an article today got me excited about offense ""I was excited about how David came back today," Kubiak said after Friday's practice. "I was concerned because you worry about how you come back the first day and how much you let go and all the work you did this summer.

"I thought David retained that well. His feet were good. His eyesight (vision) has to continue to get better, and I'm on him every day.

"He knew what was going on. There was no doubt what was happening. David picked up where he left off in the (offseason program)."

Wow, nice quote. It reveals so much about the previous staff and our current staff. Amazing what an ex-QB head coach and an actual position coach can do for a player. They understand what is going through Carr's head and comprehend what is required to develop his skills.

I think Carr will have his best year, yet, by far. :howdy:

I don't think so much should be read into his comments.....what do you expect him to say...."yeah..uhh...we're gonna suck....again"

I would read the quote in the context of what happened last year. The best information I've seen on this is in his radio interview from last month:

Link: Radio clip in FanBlog

Last year sounded like a cluster--trying to implement two systems at once--completely incoherant.

MorKnolle said:

Well, the way I read it, it pretty much confirmed for me, something I've been trying not to think for the last three years......

our offense was getting simpler and simpler because our QB couldn't grasp what Capers/Palmer were trying to do.......

thunderkyss said:
Well, the way I read it, it pretty much confirmed for me, something I've been trying not to think for the last three years......

our offense was getting simpler and simpler because our QB couldn't grasp what Capers/Palmer were trying to do.......

maybe eventually they would've simplified it all the way down to the spread offense ....

thunderkyss said:

Or maybe it was just too complicated and so off base that the system just didn't make sense...Kyss Im on the Carr watch just like yourself, but he has looked good from what I've seen and heard thus far...

xtruroyaltyx said:
Or maybe it was just too complicated and so off base that the system just didn't make sense...Kyss Im on the Carr watch just like yourself, but he has looked good from what I've seen and heard thus far...

that may very well be.... I'm not saying that it was Carr's fault that the system didn't make sense to him...... just saying it didn't make sense..... we've been pretty mickey-mouse for the last couple of years, and I have no idea why(really). But the 2003 season was much more exciting to watch.... looked to me, like everything was clicking and we were ready to take it to another level in 2004....... but we looked(to me) to be going backwards, and being more predictable.

David picked up where he left off in the (offseason program)."
Mini-camp ended a few weeks ago, maybe a month or so. How much can a person forget in that short of a time span? Knowing and working on a daily basis with Carr, why was Kubiak concerned about David's retention? Aren't there playbooks and film to look at if a person forgets something? And, once again, Kubiak mentions one of those 'little things' about Carr--need to keep improving his vision? This is a 'basic' requirement of the QB position and Carr is a 5th year pro and still has problems in this very important area?...and there have been other little 'public' mentions--why doesn't K keep these between Carr and himself?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest News

That says a ton."

/rant on (you are warned)

Not to me. The light is being shown now on the EPIC snowjob we had been handed in prior years. Like being crapped on too many times will do to a persons outlook, I hold a 'wait and see, SHOW me, don't lip service me' attitude at this time. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....I won't be that sucker again. Like Bob most likely told Charley, "I have had enough of your BS."

I am a mother of 5 kids, and my 4 boys are the masters of lip service. I am beginning to wonder if they hadn't been mentoring the team on the side for beer money.

I can only HOPE that things were not as bad as they are seeming now, and that our lot in NFL life is going to become sooooo much better. This is where being a Homer comes in handy, the Battle Red glasses and koolaid make it so much easier to accept. I am as big a Texans fan as they come, but I am tired of defending something that needn't be defended. It sucked!

It's put up or shut up time. Sell me David, show me Phillip, can you do it Bennie? Is moving back to natural positions going to be a magic fix? Have we really addressed the O line enough to show improvement? If TJ ain't worth keeping, let him go. Who cares if he was the #1 pick last season (just remember what last season was!)...holding on to a bad product doesn't make it any better with time, just makes us look even dumber and more respect is lost. Do you get paid for being non productive on your job roster? Didn't think so. I like TJ, but the reports I am getting don't bode well for our team, so let him go where he is a bonus and not a minus. Cut our losses and move on. Lets get this dog and pony show on the road, lots to prove and a short time to do it.

I have guarded optimism on my team right now. It is the best I can do, I have led the cheer on the new regime, but will they make us turn the corner? Dunno. Regardless, I am a Texans fan and thank Bob every day that he brought them into my football life. But I have my limits on what I will accept as crapitola (thanks for the new word, TexansChick). Its hard to even tolerate the small spoonfuls of it, when it has been force fed to you in buckets for quite sometime. While I never really acquired a taste for it, now the ability to even stomach to smell is hard to accomplish.

I want to be the optimist that alot of posters are around here, but I am a REAList. A no-BS-tell it like it is...kind of girl. Someone has to be. Blind optimism in the Texans got me 2-14, so back to my original position it is. REAList. Its really a good thing, honestly. Someone has to be brutally honest, there are a few of us on here. You know who you are, keep on keeping it real!

To Kubes: Let the fans watch a practice from the same zipcode. One of the few things Capers did for us that was good was let us stand and watch our team WE PAY HARD EARNED CASH to, practice their ascent/descent in the NFL. Don't get a name like Bud, the fans are the heart of the organization and don't ever forget it. Throw us a bone, man! This isn't starting out on the right foot here and you have enough to overcome as it is. And I am tired of my hind end being nawed on over your decision.

*FILOgirl is cranky today from lack of sleep from a sick spouse. Please take this into consideration as she spouts her rant*

thunderkyss said:

Its hard to learn a system that sends your RT blocking to the right and your TE that is lined up next to your RT blocking to the left.

Anyone else remember when Wand and Wade pan caked each other?

To me, it seemed clear at the end of last year that the offense was as watered-down and simplified as could be, and probably because so many people--linemen, receivers, etc--weren't on the same page, so there may be something to David's comment about being able to go in with a healthier, more complete knowledge of the system and gameplan and being able to help direct everyone on the field better.

We'll see, though. I agree with whoever said, "what is he going to say? We're going to suck again this year?"

Regardless, I do sense a great deal of relief and relaxation in his tone during interviews and in his general demeanor. We'll see how that translates on Sundays.

xtruroyaltyx said:
I don't think so much should be read into his comments.....what do you expect him to say...."yeah..uhh...we're gonna suck....again"

That's one way to look at it...but then again, he could have said nothing at all (or said something very generic).

At least this is the argument that I was given when I merely questioned Coach Kubiak's statement on Carr back in OTAs.

I see these statements as a bigger picture given the fact that Carr finally gets an offense that can center on his natural ability. He's got coaches that "get it" on offensive schemes (and hopefully on the importance of a solid o-line, too! All signs point to 'yes' right now.).

I can certainly understand the naysayers, though. We've suffered long enough, and it is something to make you hesitant to believe.

But c'mon, the koolaide is fresh and cold, and it's Battle Red fruit punch, too! ;) :redtowel:

Double BArrel got to agree with you on this one. Carr is just finally in an offense that he feels takes advantage of what he does well, and minimizes what he does not. I dont think it is anything more than that.

Coach C. said:
Double BArrel got to agree with you on this one. Carr is just finally in an offense that he feels takes advantage of what he does well, and minimizes what he does not. I dont think it is anything more than that.

I agree with you all...I definitely believe that Carr believes this new regime is better...I however question whether these beliefs translate into wins....everything is all good until he takes that first sack, or that first thing goes wrong...I think Carr being successful has everything to do with his mentality...

xtruroyaltyx said:

Now that was funny. I do believe he will have his best year ever. Hard to have a good year when you best reciever is gaffney. So glad to see him go. THat guy would have a hard time catching a cold. Good luck Mcnabb.:shoot:

Marshall'sLaw said:
Hard to have a good year when you best reciever is gaffney. So glad to see him go. THat guy would have a hard time catching a cold. Good luck Mcnabb.:shoot:

:rofl: ...that was funny....LOL!

FILO_girl said:
It's put up or shut up time.

Yep. The same stuff was said last year before camp too. Then after camp he says it was mixed systems.

Which is true, it was... because nothing was working.

Nighthawk said:
You could read it that way--Carr's been misunderstood and misused, and now, at long last, he's got a coach who believes in him, and a team that believes in him, and he's going to make the most of it and show us all what he's made of.

On the other hand he may be just another preppy wuss who has as much business at QB in this league as you or me.

Time will tell indeed.
Next time you meet the guy you should tell him the preppy wuss tittle, I just hope his Dad and brothers are not around.

xtruroyaltyx said:
I agree with you all...I definitely believe that Carr believes this new regime is better...I however question whether these beliefs translate into wins....everything is all good until he takes that first sack, or that first thing goes wrong...I think Carr being successful has everything to do with his mentality...

Well if you look at another Houston player [Brad Lidge] Mentality is everything. IMO think Carr is finally [with Kubes] in a system that lets him play to his advantages talents and doesnt try to force him into system just because some OC got the job and is tryign to prove a point about what he knows rather than teaching a rookie QB like Palmer should have been doing from day 1. It should be obvious to most that our Offense lacked real coaching the last few years as the HC and the OC battled wits on which one was calling the plays more than once to the point the blocking scheme and players changed positions almost as frequently as a halftime show. IMO it finally it spilled out on the field last year as the hodge-podge throw it together system it was. There was no continuity to the whole system either Palmer, Capers or Pendry tried to run. IMO a proven bsuiness fact is Its hard to produce good results when you dont have a clear idea of where your going. And if your leading the team and your confused [IE: David Carr] - think about what do the rest of the players know and whos keeping them on the same page?

Like I said during TC last year, players looked lost ,lethargic and like they were largely going thru the motions and it spelled bad things for the season because it looked like they were giving up on the staff. Then the Coaching staff choose to get rid of almost all the veteran players on the squad and replaced them with unproven, experiment players and rookies. We all know the results of those choices[2-14].

Bottom line - David has to produce this year - and everyone including Kubes and DC know the pressure is on to have some good results. I'm no homer for Carr, but I do think you will see a seriously different QB this year. A QB thats much closer to the #1 prospect he was coming out from Fresno who "threw" 46 TD passes and set NCAA records. Just giving him the ability to throw the ball and keep us in games will I think make a huge difference in our offensive production and help keep the defenses alot more honest. It still kills me to this day that Capers choose him as the QB for this offense knowing what kind arm and throwing QB DC was and knowing he was going to run a ball control program and forced him into the mold. Reminds me of what he did with Kerry Collins and the Panthers a whole lot.

You are right rob...Carr was poorly coached in the past....but the past is the past....Carr has to step up this year and prove not only to the city of houston, but to himself that he is capable of playing NFL football on a winning level...Carr has all the tools around him...good coach, good system, good supporting cast...but none of that means anything if he is not mentally capable of dealing with highly stressful situations...Last year Carr was bad...I won't put ALL the blame on him, but hell...he was the one out there on sundays...not Capers, not pendry, and certainly none of us fans...Last year I saw several bad, overthrown balls....was that the system? no...was it because he isn't talented enough to make NFL quality throws??? No...Carr is talented, but IMO, he is only as talented as his mind allows him to be...at times last year Carr looked flustered, and lost and other times he looked really comfortable...And those times that he looked flustered, it showed...he played just how he looked...IMO, Carrs key to success this season will be how comfortable he is....Keep Carr upright, and comfy....and keep the wins rolling in....

I want to start a "Do you believe in Carr" poll but I don't want to get flamed for it. I want to see what percentage of you believe Carr can lead the Texans to the playoffs.

This is an interesting quote. I would like to know when did Carr realize the offense wasn't working properly and who did he discuss this within the coaching staff? I remember an article that Carr went to Capers after year 3 and said he was taking too many sacks and they needed to stop it. My first thought was, it took Carr 3 years to finally have that meeting with Capers to discuss the importance of reducing sacks.

What I am getting at is that it looks like Carr was not proactive in the first 4 years of his career in discussions with the coaching staff. You would think with his big contract, he would have called out some off these things a lot sooner. It really seems like he was on auto pilot, which is why the team seemed to be lacking real leadership from the beginning.

This season isn't really about wins, but about answering some questions.

We shall see on Carr.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
I want to start a "Do you believe in Carr" poll but I don't want to get flamed for it. I want to see what percentage of you believe Carr can lead the Texans to the playoffs.
THIS POLL HAS BEEN DONE. Been there / done that. And you know your going to get flamed. LOL

xtruroyaltyx said:
You are right rob...Carr was poorly coached in the past....but the past is the past....Carr has to step up this year and prove not only to the city of houston, but to himself that he is capable of playing NFL football on a winning level...Carr has all the tools around him...good coach, good system, good supporting cast...but none of that means anything if he is not mentally capable of dealing with highly stressful situations...Last year Carr was bad...I won't put ALL the blame on him, but hell...he was the one out there on sundays...not Capers, not pendry, and certainly none of us fans...Last year I saw several bad, overthrown balls....was that the system? no...was it because he isn't talented enough to make NFL quality throws??? No...Carr is talented, but IMO, he is only as talented as his mind allows him to be...at times last year Carr looked flustered, and lost and other times he looked really comfortable...And those times that he looked flustered, it showed...he played just how he looked...IMO, Carrs key to success this season will be how comfortable he is....Keep Carr upright, and comfy....and keep the wins rolling in....

xtru, it's true, keeping Carr comfortable in the system should lead to more wins, but this is true of every QB. Sure, some may handle pressure better than others when everything is falling apart (O-line) around them, but even the best QB's can get flustered and make mistakes. Example: P. Manning. He looked good and comfortable for most of the year last year, which translated into alot of wins, but when they ran into the Steelers during the NFC Championship game Manning was thrown out of his comfort zone, and I have to say he looked pretty flustered.

So, I believe Carr's mental state will improve as he becomes more comfortable with the system and the O-line protection. We will just have to see how he reacts if/when a defense disrupts his comfort zone. Personally, I hope his past experiences have made him stronger, and now with the proper teaching and system in place he will be able to make better decisions when he is forced out of his comfort zone. Just my :twocents:

hollywood_texan said:
I would like to know when did Carr realize the offense wasn't working properly and who did he discuss this within the coaching staff?

What I am getting at is that it looks like Carr was not proactive in the first 4 years of his career in discussions with the coaching staff.

JMO but you hit it right with the question and then went on in a vacuum to an unsubstantiated conclusion. Basically we have no idea what if anything Carr said to Palmer, Pendry, Capers or McNair other than the one report you mentioned. We know Carr also called the plays in the 1st half of two games last year but we don't really know how it happened. Other than advocating a QB take his case to the public I don't see how we can judge whether Carr did too much or too little in a void of information.

U4ikrob said:
Well if you look at another Houston player [Brad Lidge] Mentality is everything.

It's hard to compare baseball players with football players because you don't see many football players just losing it like you do with baseball players. I haven't seen many players at the top of the league one day be able to hit a player in stride 40 yards away and then the next not able to complete a pass (unless injury is involved). But in baseball you see it happen all the time. Think about all of the players throughout baseball history who just lost it one day. i.e. Chuck Knobloch, Brad Lidge, etc. You see it in golf, but not football or basketball.

hollywood_texan said:
This is an interesting quote. I would like to know when did Carr realize the offense wasn't working properly and who did he discuss this within the coaching staff? I remember an article that Carr went to Capers after year 3 and said he was taking too many sacks and they needed to stop it. My first thought was, it took Carr 3 years to finally have that meeting with Capers to discuss the importance of reducing sacks.

What I am getting at is that it looks like Carr was not proactive in the first 4 years of his career in discussions with the coaching staff. You would think with his big contract, he would have called out some off these things a lot sooner. It really seems like he was on auto pilot, which is why the team seemed to be lacking real leadership from the beginning.

This season isn't really about wins, but about answering some questions.

We shall see on Carr.

infantrycak said:
JMO but you hit it right with the question and then went on in a vacuum to an unsubstantiated conclusion. Basically we have no idea what if anything Carr said to Palmer, Pendry, Capers or McNair other than the one report you mentioned. We know Carr also called the plays in the 1st half of two games last year but we don't really know how it happened. Other than advocating a QB take his case to the public I don't see how we can judge whether Carr did too much or too little in a void of information.

If you read my post carefully, I did not come to any conclusion. You are right, I don't know what was discussed between Carr and the previous coaching staff.

I was merely trying to connect some dots and develop a theory. Nothing more. The bold and underlined parts seem far from conclusion.

hollywood_texan said:
If you read my post carefully, I did not come to any conclusion. You are right, I don't know what was discussed between Carr and the previous coaching staff.

I was merely trying to connect some dots and develop a theory. Nothing more. The bold and underlined parts seem far from conclusion.

Cool--evidently I misinterpreted what you were saying.

IMO Carr’s confidence is growing and will continue to do so. Kubiak demands a lot but also brings a MUCH better offensive system. With the quicker passing game, bootlegs, rollouts, and greatly improved play calling, Carr’s talent should come out. As a new guy to this forum my opinion carries little weight, but I foresee good things with the changes taking place, and I see them having an immediate, enduring, impact.

:logo:

WWX said:
IMO Carr’s confidence is growing and will continue to do so. Kubiak demands a lot but also brings a MUCH better offensive system. With the quicker passing game, bootlegs, rollouts, and greatly improved play calling, Carr’s talent should come out. As a new guy to this forum my opinion carries little weight, but I foresee good things with the changes taking place, and I see them having an immediate, enduring, impact.

There is no seniority on the boards. Your opinion is just as valid as someone that's been here two years. Everyone has something of value to add. Hope you stick around! :)

WWX said:

I am very hard on Carr, but in my opinion, you hit it right out of the park with those sentences above.

MightyTExan said:
I actually saw him step up into the pocket on a training camp clip. :francis:

I find this very hard to believe. I know for a fact that during training camp after three seconds a horn goes off and if Carr has not thrown the ball the play is dead. :sarcasm:

ojthecat said:
I find this very hard to believe. I know for a fact that during training camp after three seconds a horn goes off and if Carr has not thrown the ball the play is dead. :sarcasm:

Sort of like that whole Pavlov thing...

Great thread guys. Everyone is hitting it square on the head on the Carr topic:what he did wrong, and what attributed to his problems.
Thanks for not making it some great debate where someone gets all upset. Or is that coming?

I'm really kinda tired of Carr threads but I just thought I would throw somethin out there and leave it at that. I'm glad I'm not david carr. how many rookie QB's start in the NFL? I mean every snap. then you get to telll yer rookie. "well we had this great offensive LT, the best in the league to help protect you, but hes not gonna be able to play, and we waited too long to sign any competent replacements, so yer gonna have to do the best you can. and he stepped up to the task and learned and showed promise. ok its a new year david, we still havent seen fit to find you a competent offensive line but we got you this new running back and we'll just give him the ball and try to run the clock more, you will be fine. and david steps up again and improves ( the sacks were'nt really that bad, they only hurt for a few minutes). ok its next year, sorry david we are gonna have to change up the system some cuz we cant seem to put our humpty dumpty system back together oh, and we knew those veteran guys on defense were just trying to discourage you so we got rid of em, just try not to think too much and give the ball to davis, if he wears out we will get you another one next year. ok half the season passes, ok this isnt working david , try this and wear thicker pads. and david thinks "hmm I wonder when they are gonna start teaching me the neat pro stuff I allways heard about, this stuff makes no sense, but I guess they know what they're doing, they have to right?"

TK_Gamer said:
I'm really kinda tired of Carr threads but I just thought I would throw somethin out there and leave it at that. I'm glad I'm not david carr. how many rookie QB's start in the NFL? I mean every snap. then you get to telll yer rookie. "well we had this great offensive LT, the best in the league to help protect you, but hes not gonna be able to play, and we waited too long to sign any competent replacements, so yer gonna have to do the best you can. and he stepped up to the task and learned and showed promise. ok its a new year david, we still havent seen fit to find you a competent offensive line but we got you this new running back and we'll just give him the ball and try to run the clock more, you will be fine. and david steps up again and improves ( the sacks were'nt really that bad, they only hurt for a few minutes). ok its next year, sorry david we are gonna have to change up the system some cuz we cant seem to put our humpty dumpty system back together oh, and we knew those veteran guys on defense were just trying to discourage you so we got rid of em, just try not to think too much and give the ball to davis, if he wears out we will get you another one next year. ok half the season passes, ok this isnt working david , try this and wear thicker pads. and david thinks "hmm I wonder when they are gonna start teaching me the neat pro stuff I allways heard about, this stuff makes no sense, but I guess they know what they're doing, they have to right?"

Very nice!lol:

The main thing here is there is actually an offensive system here.

The last offensive system was basically a "don't turn the ball over and let the passive non-attacking defense win the game"

It really says something when you lead the league in sacks allowed, and then fuggin promote the O-line coach to coord.

tulexan said:
It's hard to compare baseball players with football players because you don't see many football players just losing it like you do with baseball players. I haven't seen many players at the top of the league one day be able to hit a player in stride 40 yards away and then the next not able to complete a pass (unless injury is involved). But in baseball you see it happen all the time. Think about all of the players throughout baseball history who just lost it one day. i.e. Chuck Knobloch, Brad Lidge, etc. You see it in golf, but not football or basketball.

Carr has really never had "it" to lose...and you are right that baseball and football are different...every sport is different from the next as far as how it's played...but as far as players having a mental blockage of some sort, IMO, that is what it is across the board...Shooting jumpshots, Pitching a slider, and yes even throwing 40 yard pass, all have the same things in common...All deserve a certain degree of technique, all require some sort of mental focus.....Now having said that, in a game time situation a QB,Pitcher, or a shooting gaurd can feel nerves when rattled or in a clutch situation...I understand what you say about players being able to perform one day and not the next...But D.Carr has never, on this level, been an all world type of athlete...

xtruroyaltyx said:
Carr has really never had "it" to lose...and you are right that baseball and football is different...every sport is different from the next as far as how it's played...but as far as players having a mental blockage of some sort, IMO, that is what it is across the board...Shooting jumpshots, Pitching a slider, and yes even throwing 40 yard pass, all have the same things in common...All deserve a certain degree of technique, all require some sort of mental focus.....Now having said that, in a game time situation a QB,Pitcher, or a shooting gaurd can feel nerves when rattled or in a clutch situation...I understand what you say about players being able to perform one day and not the next...But D.Carr has never, on this level, been an all world type of athlete...

True, he hasn't. Wow, what I would give for an "all-world" type of athlete like Trent Dilfer. Look, the quality "it" is used to describe a set of mental and physical conditions that are either misunderstood, not understood at all, or "it" is used because someone is too lazy to write the dissertation that would be needed to describe this state of being. Same can be said of the phrases, "can't teach speed", and "football speed". All of the above can be quantified, or elaborated upon as the case may be, but most don't see the need to do so because production eliminates the need for such questions as does lack of production.

It is a shame because we see such strong correlation bordering on the causal between "all world" performance and surrounding talent/coaching/age. See: McNabb, Culpepper, Brett Favre and even Kerry Collins just off the top of my head. Collins had a Head coach we obviously don't like but a dominant offensive line and running game, wasn't asked to do a whole lot, and he was good, on average teams he is awful. So, is he good or not? Like most professional athletes he can be good enough to hold up his end given the right team around him, and provided that he is asked to do what he does well, and not what he doesn't do well.

There have been only two QB's in my football viewing lifetime that were great even as their team wasn't. Elway (and only after a few years) and Marino. Both always had teams that had at least something, some one thing, that they could hang their hat on as not being awful besides the QB position, and Marino never wen't to the promised land, while Elway never got there until he had a Great running game to back him up. By promised land, I mean getting the damn Trophy. There have been other QB's that were/are great with a capital "g", but not on bad teams (Staubach, Stabler [in his own weird way], Montana, Kelly [sometimes], Aikman, Steve Young, Brady, Manning, etc...).

What, exactly, do you wan't/expect out of Carr?

I am not apologizing for his performance but I am stating emphatically that the kid hasn't been given a chance.

Sucky o'line + sucky recievers (yes, incl. Andre because he can't be an entire recieving corps.) + sucky o-line + average rushing game + no TE at all + horrible, over-simple, ever-changing scheme = poor QB play.

Football is a team game, period. If you expect him to be the next unstoppable force of nature, I suggest you lower your expectations a little into the realm of reality. We hope to get great players that can lift a team onto their shoulders and will them to win but they are so very rare, but we need/must get players that can hold up their end commensurate with the talent surrounding them. Carr has, actually, done that. More than that really given the ridiculous level of talent on "O" surrounding him and his coaching. Would you trade Bradford for Carr, how about gaffney, how about Victor Riley or Todd Wade or Steve "no pocket" McKinney? If so, then I am out of this discussion as there is no point in furthering it.

I don't know if it was wise to give him an extension with all of that money, but neither do you. At this time I take the position that I must bow to the greater knowledge of professional talent scouts.

He hasn't been given a chance. Until he has, we won't know. I suspect we will have a better idea of what he is after this season and a very conclusive answer after next.

Look, the league wanted us to suck for a while. We weren't given the sweetheart deals that Jacksonville and carolina were given. We weren't given the same cap exemptions and plethera of draft picks that those teams were given, add to that that the 2002 draft was one of the most talent poor drafts in recent memory... We were designed by the NFL owners and league management to stink it up during our formative years, yet people seem to expect stellar QB play during this time anyway? I just don't get it.

mikoto said:
True, he hasn't. Wow, what I would give for an "all-world" type of athlete like Trent Dilfer. Look, the quality "it" is used to describe a set of mental and physical conditions that are either misunderstood, not understood at all, or "it" is used because someone is too lazy to write the dissertation that would be needed to describe this state of being.

It is a shame because we see such strong correlation bordering on the causal between "all world" performance and surrounding talent/coaching/age. See: McNabb, Culpepper, Brett Favre and even Kerry Collins just off the top of my head. Collins had a Head coach we obviously don't like but a dominant offensive line and running game, wasn't asked to do a whole lot, and he was good, on average teams he is awful. So, is he good or not? Like most professional athletes he can be good enough to hold up his end given the right team around him, and provided that he is asked to do what he does well, and not what he doesn't do well.

There have been only two QB's in my football viewing lifetime that were great even as their team wasn't. Elway (and only after a few years) and Marino. Both always had teams that had at least something, some one thing, that they could hang their hat on as not being awful besides the QB position, and Marino never wen't to the promised land, while Elway never got there until he had a Great running game to back him up. By promised land, I mean getting the damn Trophy. There have been other QB's that were/are great with a capital "g", but not on bad teams (Staubach, Stabler [in his own weird way], Montana, Kelly [sometimes], Aikman, Steve Young, Brady, Manning, etc...).

What, exactly, do you wan't/expect out of Carr?

I am not apologizing for his performance but I am stating emphatically that the kid hasn't been given a chance.

Sucky o'line + sucky recievers (yes, incl. Andre because he can't be an entire recieving corps.) + sucky o-line + average rushing game + no TE at all + horrible, over-simple, ever-changing scheme = poor QB play.

Football is a team game, period. If you expect him to be the next unstoppable force of nature, I suggest you lower your expectations a little into the realm of reality. We hope to get great players that can lift a team onto their shoulders and will them to win but they are so very rare, but we need/must get players that can hold up their end commensurate with the talent surrounding them. Carr has, actually, done that. More than that really given the ridiculous level of talent on "O" surrounding him and his coaching. Would you trade Bradford for Carr, how about gaffney, how about Victor Riley or Todd Wade or Steve "no pocket" McKinney? If so, then I am out of this discussion as there is no point in furthering it.

I don't know if it was wise to give him an extension with all of that money, but neither do you. At this time I take the position that I must bow to the greater knowledge of professional talent scouts.

He hasn't been given a chance. Until he has, we won't know. I suspect we will have a better idea of what he is after this season and a very conclusive answer after next.

Look, the league wanted us to suck for a while. We weren't given the sweetheart deals that Jacksonville and carolina were given. We weren't given the same cap exemptions and plethera of draft picks that those teams were given, add to that that the 2002 draft was one of the most talent poor drafts in recent memory... We were designed by the NFL owners and league management to stink it up during our formative years, yet people seem to expect stellar QB play during this time anyway? I just don't get it.

Exscuse me for asking, but....what in the hell are you talking about ??? Do you normally just jump in on conversations and make ridiculous assumptions or is this a first time thing ??? I just read your first paragraph and decided the rest wasn't worthy of reading...I don't know what you "thought" was going on, or what you "thought" was being discussed but I have to give you a smooth.....:offtopic.....But if you want to argue about Carr, and his lack of production then we can do...

tulexan said:

Its hard to compare - but I wasnt comparing sports per se, but more how the players approach the task and mentality level similarly and when things go bad how that confidence gets shaken and their perfromances suffer. I find those thigns pretty similar.

With regards to Carr and my comparison it was more for showing how some have questioned Carr's ability to sit in a pocket and play his position. He's got "Happy feet". IMO was trying to address how hard that task truly is when you dont have anything to feel comfortable about. The team around you isnt performing well and yet the coaching staff and fans are expecting you to have a pro-bowl performance under the worst of conditions and dont accept anything less as adequate. It's enormous amount of pressure for anyone to be under and have to perform.

The mentality of the QB position cant be overlooked and thus developing critical "Confidence" in what your doing, the players around you and the system your working with all have parts to play in that and have to work in conjunction to be effective. Mistakes happen, performance suffers and everyones performance reflects it - thats a natural part of it - but its the good players who keep getting up and keep trying. I think 'Carr' is one of those kind of players and now with Kubes & Co. will finally havea "Real chance" and showing some of that ability in a real offense wit ha staff who actually pay attention to details.

Looking at the last 4 years offensive systems, I fault the results to the coaching staffs the most and how they approached coaching this team. Their ability to coach was very questionable and their decision making was horrid to the point players quit, staff was fired and the team imploded for 2-14 this last year after most players got tired of the mickey mouse operation. That's not all David's fault for the "TEAM" not performing. It's how the staff choose to coach and implemented a system that relied on little information and teaching and more read/react playing which doesnt work well with rookie players in general. All new players, on an all new team need structure, veteran players to watch and coaches to teach them better. Overall the staff's approach to coaching and teaching the players was a total cluster******* of miscommunication, misdirection, very little to no teaching and mentoring of positions and certainly took a very much "Hands-off" approach to coaching alot of the team including its rookie QB. It was the staffs job to give DC the tools, mentoring, players and system to work with to become an NFL ready QB. Davids job is playing QB - its real hard to do that without those other things which is the job of the staff in the first place to provide him with which they choose to ignore for 4 years to the point they were all let go.

Any succesful business will tell you - without good infastructure its hard to succeed, because you need focus and attention to detail to succeed in the long run.

As ive said above and all along the Capers staff did a piss poor job of actually coaching/teaching the players their positions. From all ive read and seen of the teams last 4 years camps, pre-seasons and games it was obvious at many times how many players truly were lost on the field and just going thru the motions because they didnt see the coaching decisions working like the staff said they would in a game and began to question the methods. The staff refused to change or adapt to the personel they had on the team to their own eventual demise.

Just curious - How many Job offers have you seen come out for Pendry or Vic Fangio this year???? :stirpot:

Really says alot about your system the last 4 years when both of your teams coords cant even get an interview.

You know its pretty bad when both your teams coordinators are let go and nobody wants to hire them. IMO That speaks volumes about their coaching abilities. I'm all for players being accountable and working hard, and trying every play. Honestly if DC were less of a "Good guy" he would have went the route of many players and demanded a trade after year 3's mickey mouse stuff and ignoring the O-line protection to the detriment of his health. Honestly I thought after last year Carr and the NFLPA would have filed a grievance against Capers and his staff for intentionally trying to get him hurt by not improving the protection around him even after the Owner himself demanded soemthing be done.

I like "Gamers" post and "Frills" quote about "Leading the league in sacks and then promoting your O-line coach to OC" - Too true!!

TK_Gamer said:

Here's the playbook that Capers handed him the first day of rookie camp........even updated the revisions in annual new editions of the book.

0764539361.jpg

...................................tackling dummies of course.

Back