Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2006   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carr Leadership Quote

To me, this quote:

“Now that we have a system in place where I really understand not just my position, but everybody’s position, I’m going to make sure everyone’s in place and make sure we’re all running the same unit.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

That says a ton.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
To me, this quote:

“Now that we have a system in place where I really understand not just my position, but everybody’s position, I’m going to make sure everyone’s in place and make sure we’re all running the same unit.”

That says a ton.
I saw that too and I would like a little more elaboration. I have a feeling we are once again leaning a little bit more about what was going on before and it ain't a pretty picture.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #3
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Does this mean Carr doesnt need a year to get adjusted to the new play book, and he going to come out with full(or close) comprehension of what is supposed to happen? Time will tell I guess?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull
Does this mean Carr doesnt need a year to get adjusted to the new play book, and he going to come out with full(or close) comprehension of what is supposed to happen? Time will tell I guess?
I think he'll pick it up well (hopefully everyone else will too). He is said to be very smart and very willing to learn from Kubiak, and it seems as though his confidence is at an all-time high. He has really looked sharp at several points in the last three days (he has still had some off throws in there), and he and Andre have looked great together, they seem to really be re-developing that chemistry from two years ago, hopefully this system will develop into multiple Pro Bowl appearances for both of them.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #5
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I think he'll pick it up well (hopefully everyone else will too). He is said to be very smart and very willing to learn from Kubiak, and it seems as though his confidence is at an all-time high. He has really looked sharp at several points in the last three days (he has still had some off throws in there), and he and Andre have looked great together, they seem to really be re-developing that chemistry from two years ago, hopefully this system will develop into multiple Pro Bowl appearances for both of them.
You could read it that way--Carr's been misunderstood and misused, and now, at long last, he's got a coach who believes in him, and a team that believes in him, and he's going to make the most of it and show us all what he's made of.

On the other hand he may be just another preppy wuss who has as much business at QB in this league as you or me.

Time will tell indeed.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me, this quote:

That says a ton.
I like that better than "this isn't a must win, but a must play well game". Hopefully Kubiak will rid Carr of that Caper's attitude of mediocrocy.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #7
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
To me, this quote:

That says a ton.

I think offensive system he has been under is, you do your job and they will do their jobs. To me kind of like playing chess with half the pieces. One thing I liked hearing was Kubiak said at end of mini-camps "I hope David doesn't lose a step but comes right back where we left off" then seeing this in an article today got me excited about offense ""I was excited about how David came back today," Kubiak said after Friday's practice. "I was concerned because you worry about how you come back the first day and how much you let go and all the work you did this summer.

"I thought David retained that well. His feet were good. His eyesight (vision) has to continue to get better, and I'm on him every day.

"He knew what was going on. There was no doubt what was happening. David picked up where he left off in the (offseason program)."
Old 07-31-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, nice quote. It reveals so much about the previous staff and our current staff. Amazing what an ex-QB head coach and an actual position coach can do for a player. They understand what is going through Carr's head and comprehend what is required to develop his skills.

I think Carr will have his best year, yet, by far.
Old 07-31-2006   #9
real

I don't think so much should be read into his comments.....what do you expect him to say...."yeah..uhh...we're gonna suck....again"
Old 07-31-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I would read the quote in the context of what happened last year. The best information I've seen on this is in his radio interview from last month:

Link: Radio clip in FanBlog

Last year sounded like a cluster--trying to implement two systems at once--completely incoherant.
Old 07-31-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Well, the way I read it, it pretty much confirmed for me, something I've been trying not to think for the last three years......

our offense was getting simpler and simpler because our QB couldn't grasp what Capers/Palmer were trying to do.......
Old 07-31-2006   #12
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Well, the way I read it, it pretty much confirmed for me, something I've been trying not to think for the last three years......

our offense was getting simpler and simpler because our QB couldn't grasp what Capers/Palmer were trying to do.......

maybe eventually they would've simplified it all the way down to the spread offense ....
Old 07-31-2006   #13
real

Quote:

Or maybe it was just too complicated and so off base that the system just didn't make sense...Kyss Im on the Carr watch just like yourself, but he has looked good from what I've seen and heard thus far...
Old 07-31-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
Or maybe it was just too complicated and so off base that the system just didn't make sense...Kyss Im on the Carr watch just like yourself, but he has looked good from what I've seen and heard thus far...
that may very well be.... I'm not saying that it was Carr's fault that the system didn't make sense to him...... just saying it didn't make sense..... we've been pretty mickey-mouse for the last couple of years, and I have no idea why(really). But the 2003 season was much more exciting to watch.... looked to me, like everything was clicking and we were ready to take it to another level in 2004....... but we looked(to me) to be going backwards, and being more predictable.
Old 07-31-2006   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Carr will have a breakout year as long as the protection is there, which for once I think it will be.
Old 07-31-2006   #16
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 21898 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually saw him step up into the pocket on a training camp clip.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

David picked up where he left off in the (offseason program)."
Mini-camp ended a few weeks ago, maybe a month or so. How much can a person forget in that short of a time span? Knowing and working on a daily basis with Carr, why was Kubiak concerned about David's retention? Aren't there playbooks and film to look at if a person forgets something? And, once again, Kubiak mentions one of those 'little things' about Carr--need to keep improving his vision? This is a 'basic' requirement of the QB position and Carr is a 5th year pro and still has problems in this very important area?...and there have been other little 'public' mentions--why doesn't K keep these between Carr and himself?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #18
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Didn't know the teammmates or his own position for FOUR YEARS? WTH!

That says a ton."

/rant on (you are warned)

Not to me. The light is being shown now on the EPIC snowjob we had been handed in prior years. Like being crapped on too many times will do to a persons outlook, I hold a 'wait and see, SHOW me, don't lip service me' attitude at this time. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....I won't be that sucker again. Like Bob most likely told Charley, "I have had enough of your BS."

I am a mother of 5 kids, and my 4 boys are the masters of lip service. I am beginning to wonder if they hadn't been mentoring the team on the side for beer money.

I can only HOPE that things were not as bad as they are seeming now, and that our lot in NFL life is going to become sooooo much better. This is where being a Homer comes in handy, the Battle Red glasses and koolaid make it so much easier to accept. I am as big a Texans fan as they come, but I am tired of defending something that needn't be defended. It sucked!

It's put up or shut up time. Sell me David, show me Phillip, can you do it Bennie? Is moving back to natural positions going to be a magic fix? Have we really addressed the O line enough to show improvement? If TJ ain't worth keeping, let him go. Who cares if he was the #1 pick last season (just remember what last season was!)...holding on to a bad product doesn't make it any better with time, just makes us look even dumber and more respect is lost. Do you get paid for being non productive on your job roster? Didn't think so. I like TJ, but the reports I am getting don't bode well for our team, so let him go where he is a bonus and not a minus. Cut our losses and move on. Lets get this dog and pony show on the road, lots to prove and a short time to do it.

I have guarded optimism on my team right now. It is the best I can do, I have led the cheer on the new regime, but will they make us turn the corner? Dunno. Regardless, I am a Texans fan and thank Bob every day that he brought them into my football life. But I have my limits on what I will accept as crapitola (thanks for the new word, TexansChick). Its hard to even tolerate the small spoonfuls of it, when it has been force fed to you in buckets for quite sometime. While I never really acquired a taste for it, now the ability to even stomach to smell is hard to accomplish.

I want to be the optimist that alot of posters are around here, but I am a REAList. A no-BS-tell it like it is...kind of girl. Someone has to be. Blind optimism in the Texans got me 2-14, so back to my original position it is. REAList. Its really a good thing, honestly. Someone has to be brutally honest, there are a few of us on here. You know who you are, keep on keeping it real!

To Kubes: Let the fans watch a practice from the same zipcode. One of the few things Capers did for us that was good was let us stand and watch our team WE PAY HARD EARNED CASH to, practice their ascent/descent in the NFL. Don't get a name like Bud, the fans are the heart of the organization and don't ever forget it. Throw us a bone, man! This isn't starting out on the right foot here and you have enough to overcome as it is. And I am tired of my hind end being nawed on over your decision.

*FILOgirl is cranky today from lack of sleep from a sick spouse. Please take this into consideration as she spouts her rant*
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Its hard to learn a system that sends your RT blocking to the right and your TE that is lined up next to your RT blocking to the left.

Anyone else remember when Wand and Wade pan caked each other?

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #20
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

To me, it seemed clear at the end of last year that the offense was as watered-down and simplified as could be, and probably because so many people--linemen, receivers, etc--weren't on the same page, so there may be something to David's comment about being able to go in with a healthier, more complete knowledge of the system and gameplan and being able to help direct everyone on the field better.

We'll see, though. I agree with whoever said, "what is he going to say? We're going to suck again this year?"

Regardless, I do sense a great deal of relief and relaxation in his tone during interviews and in his general demeanor. We'll see how that translates on Sundays.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read