Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

PockyAF

Waterboy
new DC

Well, Wade Phillips won’t get the chance to be the Texans defensive coordinator next year. And none of the guys he worked with are hanging around either.

According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, new Texans coach Bill O’Brien met with the existing Texans staff and fired them all, and will name Romeo Crennel as his defensive coordinator.

The 66-year-old Crennel was out of football this season after being fired by the Chiefs with two years left on his contract. That will allow the Texans to stay with the 3-4 defense they’re already running.

The clean house sets the stage for the Texans staff to have a very Bostonian vibe, as O’Brien will tap into his base of former Patriots co-workers for help.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lears-out-texans-staff-to-hire-romeo-crennel/

I like that B'OB added a guy with a ton of coaching experience! A little disappointed that we didn't keep a few of our current coaches around though...they weren't all bad.

I like that B'OB added a guy with a ton of coaching experience! A little disappointed that we didn't keep a few of our current coaches around though...they weren't all bad.

New regime. COMPLETELY NEW REGIME. Sure didn't take BO'B long to make that decision did it?

Not surprised at all.

Didn't they coach together at NE? Couldn't remember.

What's the report on Crennel? I know he's been coaching for a long time and has been a HC at one point or another.

Someone break it down for us...

Didn't they coach together at NE? Couldn't remember.

What's the report on Crennel? I know he's been coaching for a long time and has been a HC at one point or another.

Someone break it down for us...

Kubiak/Wade ish. Great DC, horrible HC. Players he coached love him.

McNair wanted someone that was gonna make tough decisions, something Kubes never did, this was one of them.

O'Brien was hired by the Patriots in 07, while Crennel was the head coach of the Browns in 07. So I don't believe they've ever coached together.

I said this yesterday, I have been wanting Romeo or at least thinking of him as a grat option for us as DC since the beginning of the season. I am really happy with this hire. The man knows defense and IMO is in the top 5 DC's in the league

The Two-Gap

However you term it, it truly is a unique defensive style that stands in stark contrast to almost the entirety of other NFL defensive schemes, and fewer have promoted it more successfully than Crennel.

His style is termed the “two-gap 3-4″ defense. At its base, that means you have three lineman with their hands in the dirt, typically two defensive ends that are big and strong enough to take on offensive tackles and tall enough to deter passes by the quarterback in the pocket (think of Tyson Jackson’s prototypical 6’4″, 296 lbs frame), and a humongous, bulky nose tackle that is built for getting low, absorbing punishment and administering immediate push against a hopelessly outsized center (think of Jerrell Powe’s prototypical 6’2″, 331 lbs frame). Then you have four linebackers: two passrushers on the edge (one who is a more one-dimensional pocket assaulter, and the other who is a swiss army knife of abilities), and two in the middle (one who is more of a line of scrimmage attacker, and the other who is more coverage-oriented). This earns Crennel’s defense the “3-4″ moniker, for those who didn’t already know.

But roughly half the teams in the NFL play with a 3-4 arrangement. It’s Crennel’s two-gap approach is what truly sets this defense apart from every other style in the NFL.

From the Bears’ cover 2, to the Eagle’s wide 9, to the Texans’ one-gap, to the Patriots’ hybrid, to countless other 4-3 and 3-4 teams, the name of the game is very simple for the defensive line: get upfield. The players might line-up at different points along the defensive line. They might be bigger (3-4 nose tackles), smaller (cover 2 passrushers), ends, tackles, or rushbackers. But they all want to disrupt the pocket and get upfield.

Not so with the two-gap.

Think of this as your typical offensive line:

RT RG C LG LT
(C) (B) (A) (A) (B) (C)

This is a comprehensive listing of the “gaps” in an offensive line. The “A” gap is between the center and guard, the “B” gap is between the guard and tackle. Most defenses in the NFL tell their defensive lineman to shoot a gap, which would either penetrate the pocket or at least disrupt the offensive line’s blocking assignments. Some defenses give a defensive tackle the job of occupying blockers, or “two-gapping,” meaning they focus less on getting upfield, and focus more with minding two gaps and clogging the lanes, offensive lineman be damned.

This two-gap strategy asks every single one of its defensive lineman to do exactly that. It turns the traditional role of the defensive lineman from pocket invader to space occupying, gap eater. There’s a reason young bucks like Tyson Jackson and Dontari Poe take a long time to adjust to it, the techniques involved in this are completely different than the simple “get up and go” of more attack-oriented defensive lines. (By my count, only four other teams in the NFL share this defensive style: Ravens, Jets, Dolphins, and now the Colts.)

The complexity of all of this aside, there is one thing needed to make this work. One thing needed to turn this defensive style, unique as it is, into an offense-wrecking machine:

The defensive linemen must occupy offensive linemen.

It’s that simple. It’s the first domino for the entire scheme to make sense. If these defensive linemen can force offensive lineman to double-team them, it frees up the linebackers behind them and to their flanks to make plays. If Glenn Dorsey and Jackson play their roles properly, Tamba Hali and Justin Houston are battling tight ends and fullbacks en route to the QB, rather than massive, athletic offensive tackles. If Poe can demand maximum attention in the interior of the line, it allows Derrick Johnson to flow to the ball freely. It therefore cuts down on the amount of time secondaries have to cover receivers. It allows the safeties to clamp down open spaces faster. The key to it all is that the defensive linemen must absorb multiple offensive linemen every play.
There lies a fundamental flaw here: teams are starting to simply refuse doubling our defensive linemen. If that happens, neither of our starting ends (Dorsey and Jackson) have proven able to disengage and punish offenses for their lack of respect. Toribio’s ability to demand double teams has weakened considerably in light of his injury, and Dontari Poe still has miles to go before he can harness that ability.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/08/29/the-fatal-flaw-in-romeo-crennels-defense/

According to Wikipedia they coached together for two years - 2007 & 2008.

Then Crennel left for the HC position at Cleveland.

He was the DC in NE and BO'B was the OC in NE at the same time. I'm all for O'Brien hiring his friends...as long as they came from NE. Seems to be a good franchise to copycat.

So does this mean that clowney is off the texans board? Or could he replace antonio smith at DE in a 3-4? just dont see him as an olb. And i really dont want him anyways

Not enough experience. :pissed:

1970-1974 Western Kentucky(Defensive Line Coach)

1975-1977 Texas Tech(Defensive Assistant)

1978-1979 Ole Miss(Defensive Ends Coach)

1980 Georgia Tech(Defensive Line Coach)

1981-1992 New York Giants
(1981-1989) (Special Teams Coach)
(1990-1992) (Defensive Line Coach)​

1993-1996 New England Patriots(Defensive Line Coach)

1997-1999 New York Jets(Defensive Line Coach)

2000 Cleveland Browns(Defensive Coordinator)

2001-2004 New England Patriots(Defensive Coordinator)

2005-2008 Cleveland Browns(Head Coach)

2010-2012 Kansas City Chiefs
(2010-2012) (Defensive Coordinator)
(2011) (Interim Head Coach)
(2012) (Head Coach)​

He was the DC in NE and BO'B was the OC in NE at the same time. I'm all for O'Brien hiring his friends...as long as they came from NE. Seems to be a good franchise to copycat.

No, according to both wiki and pro-football-reference Crennel was HC in Cleveland 2005-8.

Pretty sure Watt and Smith (assuming we keep him) will do just fine commanding double teams.

Great read.

So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?

Not sure how I feel about the hire. I think Crennel is a tremendous DC, but the way he utilizes the D-Line neutralizes Watt to some degree. Instead of shooting gaps and causing havoc in the backfield (sacks, tackles for loss) he will be two-gaping and holding up blockers for the LB's.

Had beers once with Chick Harris, friend of a friend, sorry to see he isn't hanging around, sure he'll land on his feet somewhere though.

What I love about his Defensive Coordinating history is that his defenses create turnovers and are always very good in the red zone. Every year as a DC, his teams have ranked higher in points allowed than in yards allowed. Ahh, yes, I am looking forward to being near the top in statistics that actually matter!

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities... The rest of the defense is very flexible and morphs into all kinds of alignments and responsibilities (using LBs, Safeties, and/or CBs to play as "jokers"- given assigned freedoms to make plays). The defense is built to free up the jokers to make plays and disguise where where they will be.

I'm not sure how Watt can be an effective play maker in this defense. It will be interesting... I imagine Watt's agent is already in panic mode, realizing how damaging this transition could be for Watt's upcoming contract if he is used in the traditional manner by Romeo.

Friends, lol

Bottom line is that RAC is a badass.

If my friend is a badass, I'm going to hire him.

(not directing toward you, just threading off your post)

I'll miss Wade, but I think Crennel is a FANTASTIC hire! He did have 3 Championship rings as DC for the NE Patriots. :texanbill:

Pretty sure Watt and Smith (assuming we keep him) will do just fine commanding double teams.

Great read.

I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!

Not sure how I feel about the hire. I think Crennel is a tremendous DC, but the way he utilizes the D-Line neutralizes Watt to some degree. Instead of shooting gaps and causing havoc in the backfield (sacks, tackles for loss) he will be two-gaping and holding up blockers for the LB's.

Clearly, adjustments will need to be made. I'm interested in what that will look like. Antonio Smith will certainly walk away. I tell you what, though, Kareem Jackson and JJo are going to look a lot better and make a lot more plays next year! Instead of chasing the tails of Wrs every play in man coverage, they will be put in all sorts of positions to make plays.

I don't see Watt maintaining his sack numbers in this scheme, unless he is converted. Though, we finally get our "fat boy in the middle."!!!!

Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.

Wow, forgot about what he saw that day...
On December 1, 2012, Crennel attempted to prevent the suicide of player Jovan Belcher by talking to him and witnessed his death by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The following day, Crennel coached his team to a 27-21 victory over the Carolina Panthers, the Chiefs' first home victory since defeating the Packers the previous season, and the only other home win during his tenure.

So we are going to pay Watt as the highest paid defensive player in the league to be a double team magnet?

He already is a double-team magnet.

People are going to double Watt no matter what. Our LB crew is going to have to start making more plays and we're finally going to get that big man in the middle we've all been begging for. This is going to keep Cush cleaner and allow him to make more plays.

Willie Mcginest is about the closest player I can come up with. Mcginest was 6'5" and around 275 lbs for most of his career and essentially played OLB in Romeo's defense. I wonder if Watt will be on a diet this off-season.

Watt as an OLB, interesting.

He may not get his sack numbers but he really was never supposed to have those anyways.

In turn the OLB's will be getting them. That's the way it should work!

Not to mention watt has been double teamed damn near all season long and he still managed to rack up 10.5 sacks. I think he will still manage to be an impact player for us. Just a hunch.

Clearly, adjustments will need to be made. I'm interested in what that will look like. Antonio Smith will certainly walk away. I tell you what, though, Kareem Jackson and JJo are going to look a lot better and make a lot more plays next year! Instead of chasing the tails of Wrs every play in man coverage, they will be put in all sorts of positions to make plays.

This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, bu this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

I love this hire!

I have always liked what NE has done on defense.

Now we have to wait to see if it's all just Belichick.

I love this hire!

I have always liked what NE has done on defense.

Now we have to wait to see if it's all just Belichick.

NE doesn't run Crennel's 3-4 anymore. They have gone to a more hybrid 4-3 system. Baltimore and Cleveland run the most similar looking defense to what Crennel has run.

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities...

Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise - wiki has it wrong. Read the list of coaching jobs. It reads as 2005-2008 NE DC.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link

I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

The New England Patriots employ a variety of strategies during play. Since the arrival of head coach Bill Belichick in 2000, the Patriots have utilized an "Erhardt-Perkins" offense and a "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3–4 defense, referred to commonly as a 2-gap 3–4 defensive system.

Link

Richard Seymour was widely considered among the best if not the best defensive lineman in the league during the Pats defensive heyday under Crennel. I do believe he will have to make some schematic concessions for JJ though, way too talented to not fully utilize.

Back