Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

You're all invited...

I did a write up on the Texans vs Lions game this week on another website and I want you to check it out. I tried to stay as objective as possible. You are welcome to post on that board, but please note, I have been respectful here and I ask that you do the same there. I know there have been some trolls here, but I am not one. If you sign up for a membership to post, it may be several hours before you are granted access. The board is also highly moderated, so if you are rude, your post will be deleted and your access terminated, but feel free to debate on football, but be respectful. There are some really knowledgable posters over there and they are more critical of the Lions than ya'll could ever be. Have fun and thanks for the info Jwwillis and 3rd coast, I'll be back frequently as H-town is now my hometown, but the Texans will always be second to my Lions :boxing:

Lions Underground- Texans Matchup

I liked you assesment and think it was pretty fare. And about Brown, he is a good tackler and plays well in run support, but his man 2 man coverage was exposed this week when he couldnt hold a TE.

BTW, not all of the Texans fans are myopic. Most of us who are not know that Monday is too earlier to pull out your prediction for the game. Talk me on thursday or so.

It seems pretty fair to me. But I would add that you got Tony Hollings name wrong on the post. You have him listed as Troy. Other than that it seems very fair. I would note that Fernando Bryant is as familiar with AJ as one can be since he came from our division rival the Jaguars. Gaffney has excellent hands, and is a good 3rd down reciever and plays well in the slot. DD does what it takes to get the extra yards, and despite the 2 fumbles on Sunday he generally has very good hands. Hollings is a quick back with very good speed. I liked your points about the Texans mindset after a tough loss. We usually come out fired up, and play smart football. I asked another Lion's fan for info on Detroit's OLine, but I didn't get it. I know you guys picked up Damien Woody in the offseason, but I can't think of any other guys on your line. How are they in Pass/Run blocking? How is Jones at picking up the blitz? Any info would be much appreciated.

texasguy346 said:
It seems pretty fair to me. But I would add that you got Tony Hollings name wrong on the post. You have him listed as Troy. Other than that it seems very fair. I would note that Fernando Bryant is as familiar with AJ as one can be since he came from our division rival the Jaguars. Gaffney has excellent hands, and is a good 3rd down reciever and plays well in the slot. DD does what it takes to get the extra yards, and despite the 2 fumbles on Sunday he generally has very good hands. Hollings is a quick back with very good speed. I liked your points about the Texans mindset after a tough loss. We usually come out fired up, and play smart football. I asked another Lion's fan for info on Detroit's OLine, but I didn't get it. I know you guys picked up Damien Woody in the offseason, but I can't think of any other guys on your line. How are they in Pass/Run blocking? How is Jones at picking up the blitz? Any info would be much appreciated.

Stocker McDougal is our RT. He is pretty big, moves very well, is a good run blocker and was a 1st round pick. He has started for the last 3 years. He is solid.

Damien Woody - Rg. You know about him 26 years old 2 time pro-bowler from N.E.

Dominic Raolia - C. 3 year starter from nebraska. Pretty good run blocker, o pass blocker, not very big, but quick can get outside and pull or trap block.

David Loverne - LG - Free-Agent pick-up from San Diego. Big, Strong and very quick. Very physcial run blocker, ok is the pass game.

Jeff Backus - LT - Very Solid around player in the run and pass. Better Pass Blocker.

Overall our O-Line is a strength on the team very solid. Only have gave up 17 sacks on Joey the last 2 years and 1 last Sunday.

KJ was good on blitzes last week. Pinner is good and Bryson is the best.

O-line starters: LT- Jeff Backus, LG- David Loverne, C- Dominick Raiola, RG- Damien Woody, RT- Stockar McDougal.

The tackles are solid, not great but better than average. Same with Raiola. Woody is a stud, and Loverne is below average. I believe the thinking is, the tackles can handle themselves, as can Woody, this allows Raiola to help out Loverne. Run blocking has not proven to be this lines strong point, at least last year (but Woody and Loverne are both free agent signings) and through 1 game this year. The pass blocking is good, but not as good as Joeys sack #'s suggest. The last 2 yrs, he was throwing too early to avoid the sack, sometimes forcing the ball resulting in Ints instead of sacks.

I'm actually not sure about KJ picking up the blitz. He only played in 2 preseason games, and there wasn't much blitzing in those games. Against Chicago, the several times I watched for it, they didn't blitz, or he was running a route. So, that is a very good question. Don't be suprised to see Pinner get extra carries if KJ is uneffective early, and Pinner and Bryson can pick up the blitz.

WINTEXANWIN- I know it is Chester, I must have just typed it wrong. Duanta and Boscelli- oops

Hello HoustonLionsFans,

Good Analysis, it is well done. Not to be nitpicky, but here are a few corrections for your post:

The Texans have revamped their O-line with the additions of Todd Wade to replace Boscelli and the emergence of Seth Wand (6-7, 327) as a solid starter.

Wade fills the RT spot (replaced Greg Randall) Seth Wand is actually taking Boselli's intended LT position. He's replacing Chester Pitts who has been moved to his 'more natural' position at LG. This is his first year in the position so while he's looked strong so far, the jury is still out on him.

Pro-bowl corner Coleman has shifted to FS to make room for rookie CB Dunte Robinson. Aaron Glenn is the other CB, and I guess that teams like to stay away from Glenn, at least SD did.

While some argued Coleman should have made the probowl last year, he's never been. Aaron Glenn is our pro-bowl(s) CB, he's widely regarded as one of the top 10 shutdown corners in the league. With rogers out he'll likely draw Roy Williams the majority of the time. I wouldn't expect Williams to have a whole lot of breathing room on Sunday, Glenn will teach him some of those sneaky veteran CB tricks.

I also think the TE and Hakim will have to expose the LB’s in pass coverage and the middle of the field. Gates (TE SD) lit them up for 120+ yds.

In our scheme Gates was lighting up the safeties more then the OLBs. Eric Brown, our SS, struggled with him in coverage, though he did do a nice job on LT. He's much more of a run-stopper then a cover safety.

Thanks for the info on the OLine by both the Lions fans. I know it's hard to judge a rookie RBs ability to pick up the blitz from one regular season game, but I appreciate your thoughts nonetheless. I'm glad to hear that Damien Woody is doing well for the Lions. I know that some Patriots OLinemen have struggled when they change teams. I was curious about the injury to your DE Hall. How serious is the injury? Also, does this open up the possibility of Corey Redding starting or is he used more as a DT? With the injury to Charles Rogers I assume that puts Williams in a starting spot, but will Tai Streets or Hakim start opposite of him? I think Hakim is a better slot reciever when you go 3 wide. Is that how the Lions generally do it?

texasguy346 said:
Thanks for the info on the OLine by both the Lions fans. I know it's hard to judge a rookie RBs ability to pick up the blitz from one regular season game, but I appreciate your thoughts nonetheless. I'm glad to hear that Damien Woody is doing well for the Lions. I know that some Patriots OLinemen have struggled when they change teams. I was curious about the injury to your DE Hall. How serious is the injury? Also, does this open up the possibility of Corey Redding starting or is he used more as a DT? With the injury to Charles Rogers I assume that puts Williams in a starting spot, but will Tai Streets or Hakim start opposite of him? I think Hakim is a better slot reciever when you go 3 wide. Is that how the Lions generally do it?

Hall broke his thumb, but is expected to play. He are pretty deep on the DL anyway and have a few guys who could start if needed. Porcher didn't even dress last Sunday. Coery Redding starting at LDE on Sunday and played OK. He should start again. ROY also has been starting since day 1. TAI will start in place of Rogers as of know and AZ should stay in the slot, but Mooch said he will interchange them all throughout the game at the X and Z.

Kingzofthejungle said:
Hall broke his thumb, but is expected to play. He are pretty deep on the DL anyway and have a few guys who could start if needed. Porcher didn't even dress last Sunday. Coery Redding starting at LDE on Sunday and played OK. He should start again. ROY also has been starting since day 1. TAI will start in place of Rogers as of know and AZ should stay in the slot, but Mooch said he will interchange them all throughout the game at the X and Z.

Sounds like AZ plays a similar role as Gaffney does on our team. He's a great 3rd down reciever, and although he generaly plays the slot and is the 3rd WR on the depth chart he'll show up in 2 wideout 2te sets. He's got excellent hands, but he's by no means a burner. Just runs good routes, and catches balls.

texasguy346 said:
Sounds like AZ plays a similar role as Gaffney does on our team...

Az Hakim plays a similar role catching the ball, but he's WAAAY ahead of Gaffney in one key stat: FUMBLES. This guy was legendary in St. Louis for coughing up the ball. 22 fumbles in 4 seasons! (Granted, he recovered most of those, but still--WOW!!)

Here's hoping he has a real throwback game on Sunday.

Side note: Roy Williams is just awesome. I just saw the replay of that catch again--what concentration. And how does someone that big stay airborne so long? Look out for this guy all year. :twocents:

Back