Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

YOUR TOP 10 TEXANS AS OF TODAY

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
That record is going to be changing over this yr and the next 4 yrs for that matter. 7 games and counting. It's going to be a long 4 yrs.

Let the excuses reign.
Watson's record speaks for itself based on the offense he's been strapped wth. Since Watson's arrival what has OB successfully rebuilt or overhauled to make things around Watson better? If it becomes a long 4 years you can bet your bottom dollar it's b/c OB is still with the Texans as GM, HC, and mystery OC.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson's record speaks for itself based on the offense he's been strapped wth. Since Watson's arrival what has OB successfully rebuilt or overhauled to make things around Watson better? If it becomes a long 4 years you can bet your bottom dollar it's b/c OB is still with the Texans as GM, HC, and mystery OC.
Yes BOB's ultimately to blame because he will have brought in all of his guys to put around DW4. (Who wasn't his guy.)

DW4 will ultimately cost BOB his job. This should've already happened. 51-7

OptimisticTexan

Yes BOB's ultimately to blame because he will have brought in all of his guys to put around DW4. (Who wasn't his guy.)

OB should've cost himself the Texans HC/OC job after his first season. Watson would be the last person held accountable for OB losing his job 7+ years later. Since the McNair's are responsible for keeping OB, they should be fired as well mostly for elevating him to GM. They know no better and are football ignorant.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OB should've cost himself the Texans HC/OC job after his first season. Watson would be the last person held accountable for OB losing his job 7+ years later. Since the McNair's are responsible for keeping OB, they should be fired as well mostly for elevating him to GM. They know no better and are football ignorant.
So DW4 will have no bearing on BOB losing his job? Yes, the McNair's are ultimately responsible for DW4's stupid contract which will ensure 4 more yrs of mediocrity at best. What I wonder is if BOB was fully on board with giving DW4 that contract?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
So DW4 will have no bearing on BOB losing his job? Yes, the McNair's are ultimately responsible for DW4's stupid contract which will ensure 4 more yrs of mediocrity at best. What I wonder is if BOB was fully on board with giving DW4 that contract?
You're so funny, steelb.
Watson is the ONLY guy that might be able to save OB's job.
But OB probably doesn't need anybody because he's already got something on the McNairs.
Or maybe his buddy, Dr. Happy Go Lucky, can always charm them into oblivion always and forever.
:corrosion:

OptimisticTexan

By Watson's talent and good graces......he saved OB for 4 more years than he should've got. Let's just close our eyes and act like OB's first 3 years never happened.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
By Watson's talent and good graces......he saved OB for 4 more years than he should've got. Let's just close our eyes and act like OB's first 3 years never happened.
Good graces? LMAO

Avg graces at best. 7 bad games in a row tells us that there's plenty of blame to go around.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

Once again... BOB extended DW4, making him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league. DW4 IS BOB's GUY!

In this past year, he could have easily gotten another QB if he wanted to. His boy Hoyer was available.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Once again... BOB extended DW4, making him the 2nd highest paid QB in the league. DW4 IS BOB's GUY!

In this past year, he could have easily gotten another QB if he wanted to. His boy Hoyer was available.
I believe the DW4 contract was a mandate from above. All owners are involved in those huge contract decisions. This continues the theme that the Texans are a marketing team with a football division.

OptimisticTexan

Those aren't excuses

Are you saying the McNair's weren't involved in those contract negotiations?
I believe OB called the shots in this re-signing. The only thing he cleared with the McNair’s was the money he wanted to pay him. OB may realize that most solid veteran QB’s would steer clear of him and his offense.

He could’ve just as easily sold the McNair’s on trading Watson for an early pick so the team would be in a position to draft Herbert- Oregon / Chargers. I did recommend this in draft tab. Not that I was down on Watson but b/c he doesn’t fit OB’s offense and maybe Herbert would.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I believe OB called the shots in this re-signing. The only thing he cleared with the McNair’s was the money he wanted to pay him. OB may realize that most solid veteran QB’s would steer clear of him and his offense.

He could’ve just as easily sold the McNair’s on trading Watson for an early pick so the team would be in a position to draft Herbert- Oregon / Chargers. I did recommend this in draft tab. Not that I was down on Watson but b/c he doesn’t fit OB’s offense and maybe Herbert would.
The McNair's were never going to trade their DW4 marketing tool.

This is the reason Justin James is still a Texan.

OptimisticTexan

Let's see: The Texans won 2 division titles in 3 years before Watson, and 2 division titles in 3 years with Watson. Hmm.....
First 3 years....Texans had a defense to be proud of and let's see, last 3 years, defense has pretty much been shite. First 3 years, RC saved OB's arse and the last 3 years Watson has saved OB's arse. What exactly has OB done to save his own arse?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
First 3 years....Texans had a defense to be proud of and let's see, last 3 years, defense has pretty much been shite. First 3 years, RC saved OB's arse and the last 3 years Watson has saved OB's arse. What exactly has OB done to save his own arse?
More excuses

KarlK

Waterboy
Yeah, we know. Watson, despite being "elite" and "special" and worth 40 million per year, needs ideal circumstances and top talent every other position on the field in order to be successful and advance further in the playoffs than someone like Brock Osweiller did.

OptimisticTexan

Yeah, we know. Watson, despite being "elite" and "special" and worth 40 million per year, needs ideal circumstances and top talent every other position on the field in order to be successful and advance further in the playoffs than someone like Brock Osweiller did.
What are you really trying to say?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He's still under his rookie's contract.
Now, if he's Mitch Trubisky, you'd have a point because that's more expensive resources, both in the draft and in the pay.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

Steel, I find your line on this very confusing.
Are you claiming that because OB had Watson forced upon him, he is absolved of any responsibility in his failure to develop?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Steel, I find your line on this very confusing.
Are you claiming that because OB had Watson forced upon him, he is absolved of any responsibility in his failure to develop?
Nope, I'm saying regardless of HC DW4's not developed nor will he ever develop into a championship quality QB.

KarlK

Waterboy
He's still under his rookie's contract.
Now, if he's Mitch Trubisky, you'd have a point because that's more expensive resources, both in the draft and in the pay.
I didn't say he's currently being paid 40 million, I said he's worth 40 million.

So when that contract kicks in, is that when he's gonna turn on the switch, help mask weaknesses, overcome less than perfect circumstances, and elevate his teammates play?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I didn't say he's currently being paid 40 million, I said he's worth 40 million.

So when that contract kicks in, is that when he's gonna turn on the switch, help mask weaknesses, overcome less than perfect circumstances, and elevate his teammates play?
I understand your point.
But my point is that until he puts on that cape, I don't consider him Superman.

A team has a cap space.
We need to assign value/contribution appropriately.

Right now, Tunsil is the highest paid player on the offensive side.
That's where most of the blame should go to on offense.

OptimisticTexan

That on a scale of 1-10, all you DW4 sheeple tuck yourselves into bed everynight convincing yourselves he’s a 10, but in actuality he’s about a 6.5.
In all actuality.....I'd be very happy assigning Watson about 6.5 to 7 to date. I'd say his biggest hurdle has been OB and his super impressive offensive scheme......which to date, has successfully confused his players on offense more than NFL DC's or their personnel.

Now, does Watson have the NFL talent to bump his score......yes, he's got the talent talent to not only improve my score but win a Super Bowl if the team around him can improve their scores. The only way Watson would consistently bump and maintain his score.....give him a real NFL HC and OC.

Just out of curiosity....which current NFL QB or future NFL QB would successfully run OB's offense with all the current personnel remaining as is and OB calling the plays?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Nope, I'm saying regardless of HC DW4's not developed nor will he ever develop into a championship quality QB.
I really struggle with this. You don’t think Harbaugh could have worked with him? Andy Reid? What about McDaniels (as a coach who we could go after)?
Im at the point where I struggle to see DW turn it around, he’s got years under his belt in this awful system having his brain pickled by OB. I just think I’d take rookie Deshaun Watson over rookie Lamar Jackson any day. I put it all on my head coach to coach his most important player. Watson wasn’t some chump coming out of college.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I really struggle with this. You don’t think Harbaugh could have worked with him? Andy Reid? What about McDaniels (as a coach who we could go after)?
Im at the point where I struggle to see DW turn it around, he’s got years under his belt in this awful system having his brain pickled by OB. I just think I’d take rookie Deshaun Watson over rookie Lamar Jackson any day. I put it all on my head coach to coach his most important player. Watson wasn’t some chump coming out of college.
He "regresses" on his own so much that the owners forced the GM to give him a big new contract and for both to appear as puppets in front of the media, singing the new deal.

BOB has got TOTAL immunity, I tell ya'.

:corrosion:

badboy

Hall of Fame
In all actuality.....I'd be very happy assigning Watson about 6.5 to 7 to date. I'd say his biggest hurdle has been OB and his super impressive offensive scheme......which to date, has successfully confused his players on offense more than NFL DC's or their personnel.

Now, does Watson have the NFL talent to bump his score......yes, he's got the talent talent to not only improve my score but win a Super Bowl if the team around him can improve their scores. The only way Watson would consistently bump and maintain his score.....give him a real NFL HC and OC.

Just out of curiosity....which current NFL QB or future NFL QB would successfully run OB's offense with all the current personnel remaining as is and OB calling the plays?
Dwayne Haskins, Joe Burrows and college level Kyle Trask and Trevor Lawrence come immediately to mind.

OptimisticTexan

Dwayne Haskins, Joe Burrows and college level Kyle Trask and Trevor Lawrence come immediately to mind.
Haskins....not at all.
Burrow....need a few more games before assessing what he could do.
Trask ....not familiar with him at this time but I’ll check him out.
Lawrence...I’ve stated before that I would’ve wasted a season to pick Lawrence if the team still had a RD1 pick.

I think there would be plenty of teams open for trading for Watson....if he were available. The first team that comes to my mind, Da Bears. OB could probably package a TE and WR to really get their attention. I’d ask for Foles and picks. While I’m at it, might as well check their interest in Watt.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Haskins....not at all.
Lawrence...I’ve stated before that I would’ve wasted a season to pick Lawrence if the team still had a RD1 pick.

I think there would be plenty of teams open for trading for Watson....if he were available. The first team that comes to my mind, Da Bears. OB could probably package a TE and WR to really get their attention. I’d ask for Foles and picks. While I’m at it, might as well check their interest in Watt.
Perhaps when we have a clearer picture of who has 1.1 we can see if we have enough to go after it. I'm doubtful now. Exception of Bengals anyone should take Trevor. Jets are interesting as they have two first and high second. They might get a second from Colts for Donald. Would they trade 1.1 and Colts second for Watson and Tunsil? I'm guessing no.

But from their side they would move Mekhi Benton to right tackle, Tunsil to LT, Watson and have the Seahawks late round one and 2.33 for priority needs.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Sure do you agree that much on MB is just that?
Just a bit.

But mostly no among solid posters.

Lots of people present facts to back their opinions. Maybe this isn't that kind of conversation. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And you still wouldn't win a championship. Hire a new HC and the same issues will still exist regardless of scheme. He may get some better under the coaches you listed but not to a championship level.
Remember when Moon went to the Vikings and fans were saying now that he's got better coaching the Vikings are going to win a SB? It didn't happen and it won't happen for DW4 either.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Haskins....not at all.

No team is going to trade for that contract. It's an albatross.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And you still wouldn't win a championship. Hire a new HC and the same issues will still exist regardless of scheme. He may get some better under the coaches you listed but not to a championship level.
Remember when Moon went to the Vikings and fans were saying now that he's got better coaching the Vikings are going to win a SB? It didn't happen and it won't happen for DW4 either.
Not necessarily.
(EVEN IF) Watson has the problem some of ya proclaim, a WCO incorpotated with a wide zone running scheme would have at least half the number of plays to one side of the field. And on those bootlegs (which OB tried to scheme poorly), his cannon of an arm would be better than Schaub or Keenum) if a throw all the way to the back side is required (see Andre Johnson).
In the red zone, they need a big body receiver like AJ or Hopkins for the fade or a quick slant.
A RPO pass in the middle always work.
A roll out will work great in the red zone, too - with minimum read required.

Then you can install a subset of the pistol similat to what Kubiak did for Keenum or Harbaugh did for Lamar.

Easy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cannon for an arm? His arm certainly isn't weak, but it's not like he's got a Mahomes/Rodgers/Elway/Stafford type arm.

The WCO wasn't a be all end all for Carr nor will it be if the next HC is a WCO guy for DW4.