Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

I think it would have been interesting to see the type of career DD would have had if he had played the role he was drafted for. How would he have performed with this current team behind a better oline and with a big back like Brown to partner with. Maybe Slaton will give me an idea of how DD would have done. DD was paid well but sad to me how he ended up.

I think it would have been interesting to see the type of career DD would have had if he had played the role he was drafted for. How would he have performed with this current team behind a better oline and with a big back like Brown to partner with. Maybe Slaton will give me an idea of how DD would have done. DD was paid well but sad to me how he ended up.

DD proved he was more than the role he was drafted for. Had Gibbs, Kubiak and DD gotten together and healthy DD would have been added to the legacy of late round RB's.

DD proved he was more than the role he was drafted for. Had Gibbs, Kubiak and DD gotten together and healthy DD would have been added to the legacy of late round RB's.

On the subject of DD, whatever happened to him? The last thing I remember of him was him getting hurt and then changing his name.

The more I read this thread, the more excited I get!

Slaton and Brown's experience in this style of offense is gonna give us the jump start we need in Gibbs very physical form of football. I'm predicting this is gonna be our team...one will make you run to the ice tub after the game and Mr Lickitysplit will make you run to the film room to see what happened.

The other guys? They're gonna be angrily waiting on the sidelines to touch the ball.

Ahhh, true competition finally.

FWIW, I could be wrong but I see a picture forming.

Slaton and Brown's experience in this style of offense is gonna give us the jump start we need in Gibbs very physical form of football. I'm predicting this is gonna be our team...one will make you run to the ice tub after the game and Mr Lickitysplit will make you run to the film room to see what happened.

The other guys? They're gonna be angrily waiting on the sidelines to touch the ball.

I like the nickname Mr Lickitysplit... Is anyone called that right now or ever?

Everytime I think about our last few drafts, the more excited I get.

I see Mario, Demeco, possibly Spencer, Winston, Daniels, Amobi, Jacoby, Bennett, Brown, Molden, and Slaton all see significant playing time for many years on this team. Throw in Frye, Studdard, Harrison, Diles, Adibi, Barber as good backups to have- LB's may actually start for us... Brink being a solid backup a few years down the road? And hopefully Schaub excelling after a full season of work...

What an awesome three drafts we've had to think that ALL these guys in some way shape or form are the future (and present) of our team. I love Kubiak and Smith.

How? Davis was lucky to break a 30 yard run before being run down whereas Slaton would likely take it to the house on the same run. The speed and quickness isn't even comparable.

I think many around here hold Davis at a higher level than what he was. IMO, he was an average to slightly above average RB who didn't have break away speed nor the durability of a really good RB.

Sure, he's probably the best we've had, but when you have an injured Green, Fatass and a few other nobodies to compare him to.....

If I had to chose between a back who can of turn a 2-yard-gain into a 7-yarder and a back capable of turning a 7-yard-gain into an 80-yarder, I'll take the former. Championships are built on 7-yard runs that relentlessly move the chains and exhaust the opposing defense, and DD(W) was the type of back who could give them to you: great vision, quick acceleration, could take a hit. Slaton is the latter kind--certainly has a quick burst, but he's not going to grind out the tough yards.

That said, Slaton is a good value in the third round who can succeed if used correctly. But "correctly" is not getting 20-25 carries in a game. If he's healthy, Green and Slaton would make absolutely perfect complements to each other.

If I had to chose between a back who can of turn a 2-yard-gain into a 7-yarder and a back capable of turning a 7-yard-gain into an 80-yarder, I'll take the former. Championships are built on 7-yard runs that relentlessly move the chains and exhaust the opposing defense, and DD(W) was the type of back who could give them to you: great vision, quick acceleration, could take a hit. Slaton is the latter kind--certainly has a quick burst, but he's not going to grind out the tough yards.

That said, Slaton is a good value in the third round who can succeed if used correctly. But "correctly" is not getting 20-25 carries in a game. If he's healthy, Green and Slaton would make absolutely perfect complements to each other.

Agreed, that's why most teams are going with 2 backs these days. You have your pounder and your speed guy. IMO, Taylor will eventually take over for Green.

I just think DD was an in between type of guy. He couldn't handle the every down pounding, nor was he able to run away from a guy.

I have nothing against DD and I do appreciate what he was able to do with what he was given to work with. I just don't think he was as good as some think.

I definitely agree. My point was if he had the advantages of Slaton (QB, Oline, WR [I think current group better] or if he did not take the beating of being the main guy, he would have had a very long successful career.

I think the idea that Slaton cannot grind out the tough yards is a misconception. Just because the guy is a bit undersize.

Reggie Bush wishes that he's as strong as Slaton!
icon10.gif

OK, OK, Slaton has a few bad moments.
Like the fumble in the USF game, he should have protected the ball better.
He was going up the middle, but saw that the hole was quickly plugged, so he tries to bounce outside.
Never saw the defender coming with the helmet to the ball.
It was a bit of tough luck to have guys coming at you on both sides.
But still, he needs to protect the ball.

I see tremendous possibilities with Slaton in the lineup though.
The FBs will have their opportunities on draw play out of a fake outside zone run to Slaton. They can count on some screen passes coming their way with defenders keying on Slaton.

The bootleg play to AJ also comes to mind.

And heck yes, it will be great to see us running the stretch play more consistenly.

I can't wait for the season to start.

Slaton and the ZBS is just a perfect marriage.
And the fact that we now have another two guys (Brown and Myers) who are very good going up to the next level.
I can smell TDs.

Sorry for all the hypes, but if you watch the Sugar Bowl (Jan 06) against Georgia, you'd see what I mean.
I think a couple of youtube video highlights were from that game.
(A pair of identical 52-yd TD runs)
For the game, his line was 26-204 yds and 3 TDs.
And that was a team with a holw truck load of defensive players in the NFL today (most if not all the starters.)
Even some reserves at the time made it to the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=g

suuurrrre... that'll happen right after they grow a T-Rex from fossilized DNA and chicken eggs...
:o)

I thought I'd throw this in the mix about Slaton because of my earlier concerns about his size...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736477-144.stm

"No back can securely tuck a football without the use of either hand. So, imagine what the naturally right-handed Slaton has endured since hurting the right wrist Nov. 2, 2005, against Connecticut. He gained 598 yards on 113 workhorse carries in the Mountaineers' final four games last season, including a Sugar Bowl-record 204 yards; became an Iron Mountaineer Award-winner in the spring for his offseason weightlifting toil, including a 425-pound bench press despite that aching wrist; and learned to hold the ball in his left hand while gaining 1,215 yards entering the 10th-ranked Mountaineers' Saturday home date against Cincinnati (5-4, 2-2)."

Now for some numbers about his speed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Slaton

"Slaton also reported that he met with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans at the NFL Combine.[41] Slaton told Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer, Chuck Finder, in an interview that he did not run a 4.5 at the Combine and ran a 4.27 in Arizona after the Fiesta Bowl. He also said that the New York Jets, New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons have scheduled private workouts with him. He then said that he planned to go to the University of Michigan to work out there with his former training coach, Mike Barwis.[42] The Buffalo Bills also reportedly took interest in Slaton[43], along with Owen Schmitt.[44]

West Virginia's Pro Day was March 13.[45] At the Pro Day he ran a 4.45, despite weighing in at 199 lbs. He also ran a 2.51 20-yard dash and a 1.47 10-yard shuttle. In his 3-cone drill, Slaton ran a 6.74, a 4.27 short shuttle, and a 35" vertical jump.[46] Slaton also impressed many scouts with his receiving abilities, highlighted with a one-handed grab behind him on a "go route".[47] Slaton's 6.74 three-cone drill time and 1.47 10-yard shuttle time was one of the best by any draft prospect at their respective Pro Days.[48]

In April, USA Today ranked Slaton the #11 running back in the class and projected him as a 3rd to 4th round selection. He was compared to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' runningback Michael Bennett and was reported as maxing with a 305-pound bench press and 600-pound safe squat.[49] On April 17, Mel Kiper of ESPN predicted Slaton to be a third or fourth round selection.[50] On April 23, Mike Mayock of ESPN said of Slaton, "The one thing Steve has going for him is the NFL pays a premium for speed, and Steve Slaton still flies. I have him going in the fourth round. I believe somebody is going to look at him and say he can return kicks. If you can find a way to get him the ball in space and use him selectively, he can be deadly."[51]"

Back