Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your Candidates for Left Tackle

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Decision 2007: Who will try to break the left tackle jinx in 2007?????

Jordan Black: Versatile young guy who filled in for KC. Allowed a lot of sacks but not so many that KC missed the playoffs. KC let him go away though, and note their problems on the line now, so you gotta wonder.

Ephraam Salaam: Versatile old guy. Held down the fort after Spencer went down. Mentor, locker room guy. You wonder about injuries.

Eric Winston: Looked OK at right tackle last year in limited play. He prefers playing left tackle and thought that is what he would be playing in the league. Shortish arms. Had a knee injury that he says doesn't bother him one bit. Really confident guy.

Chester Pitts: Coaches like him at guard. Played an adequate left tackle.

Charles Spencer: Had a lot of promise before his injury in the second game of the season. Questionable about whether he can return by the season and what sort of ability he could have this quick with the sort of injury he had.

Draft: Levi Brown, Joe Staley with a trade down, or someone else?

What I think will happen:

I think Black will get the left tackle spot, with Winston at right tackle and Salaam as swing tackle.

I do not like the idea of relying too much on Salaam because I'm not sure how he is going to hold up.

I have mentally written off Spencer for the season. If he returns it will be gravy, but I suspect from what we've heard publicly that he is a long shot. If the Texans raise questions about an injury in the paper, it is usually worse than what they are letting on.

I do not believe that the Texans will draft tackle, but it wouldn't surprise me given the Texans options.

I wonder a lot about the Texans' evaluation of offensive line personnel. The center position experimentation last year was a joke. For all the discussion of Sherman as an offensive line master, most of his experience was in college, the same with Benton. Sherman as talent evaluator is something that GB fans questioned for a while.

Great Thread.

I can see that happening, but if the FO is expecting Spencer to come back about halfway through the season, then I think it will be pure competition between Black and Salaam, and they won't care about whether or not Salaam holds up. (they'll care, but it won't be a concern) I like Salaam/Winston for the first 4 games, then Black/Winston until Spencer returns. If Spencer ever returns I think that Spencer Pitts Weary Winston will be a helluva O-line, but we will have to get a great Center next year. I think it will be ok for now, b/c as Kubiak said, we're building for a 2009 Playoff run. Not 2007 or 2008.

As far as talent evaluation for the O-line, the only thing we have to go on so far from Sherman's picks are Charles Spencer and Eric Winston. So, I can't say I see anything to make me worry yet.

As for Black, he could be put on Sherman, but you have to understand....of the 9 sacks he gave up last year, 4 were in his first game, and after that he only gave up 5 sacks all season. He's also young, and can be coached to get better, so I'm not too about him. I think he will add good depth, and we got him at a cheap price.

I think this just shows us that we're on the right track. We didn't want to waste money signing a huge name LT for three years if we believe that Spencer will return, and no big name LT's want to sign for just one year. I honestly think Black was the best option we had for the money. Everything that's being done currently shows us that Kubes and Co really does have a big picture in mind, and I think we will all be pleasantly surprised when we see it unfold. Whether we go 7-9 or 9-7 this year doesn't matter, but I think we may see 9-7.

I'd like to see Jordan Black starting at LT. I'd also agree that Spencer bouncing back to play this season is unlikely.

It's really hard to guess at this point because of all of the possible scenarios and we have no information on spencer. i'm wondering if the reason we hear nothing about spencer's injury is to keep other teams guessing leading up to the draft. in my ideal world we bypass levi brown in favor of laron landry or reggie nelson in the draft, and expect spencer to be come off of the PUP or sooner (i'd even consider next year in this regard, if he's expected to fully recover). if that's the case i'd suggest starting salaam to keep a sense of consistancy and yall know i couldnt be higher on spencer ... if he can play, he's our left tackle.

if we go in with what we have, no spencer and no draft (first off, we'd be in a lot of trouble) ... i give the job to black and be quick to yank him in favor of salaam if he struggles.

if we're certain that spencer's career is done, or that his mobility is going to be severely hampered ... you take a left tackle with the first pick regardless of how big of a reach it is.

NOBODY had Spencer on our draft radar before the draft last year...so, I'll make a prediction after the draft. :pirate:

NOBODY had Spencer on our draft radar before the draft last year...so, I'll make a prediction after the draft. :pirate:

The DeMeco pick happened at the end of the draft party. They let the party go a little longer to get the pick in.

People were pissed that: 1. the Texans didn't let any time go off the clock before Ryans was picked; 2. They didn't pick Eric Winston.

Bwahaha and arrrrrgh....:vinny:

When did Kubiak say that? Can't believe any coach would say he needs three seasons to get 4 more wins.

This is the quote:

"Our supporting cast isn't good enough right now, and we're not going to put everything on [quarterback] Matt [Schaub]. We feel good about our recent drafts and our offseason moves, but we still need a couple more drafts and off seasons before we're a playoff caliber team. We see Matt as one piece of the puzzle."

This is the quote:

"Our supporting cast isn't good enough right now, and we're not going to put everything on [quarterback] Matt [Schaub]. We feel good about our recent drafts and our offseason moves, but we still need a couple more drafts and off seasons before we're a playoff caliber team. We see Matt as one piece of the puzzle."
That doesn't mean he doesn't see us making the playoffs and losing in the first round. He may not consider that "playoff caliber" ie a team that can win in the playoffs. I'm sure he thinks that this team can qualify for the playoffs in the mean time.

This is the quote:

Based on that quote I wouldn't say that entirely excludes the possibility of playoff runs prior to 2009. Lots of teams make it into the playoffs before they peak and the Texans are no different.

On the LT subject I'm with Vinny. Once the draft is over I'll have a better idea what to think about this. If the Texans don't move on a LT in the draft then I think your scenario seems most likely.

I have always been a "put Chester at LG and let him get started on his transition to being a Pro Bowl LG" person but I'm at the point now where if Chester Pitts is the best LT on the team then I just want to see him line up there. I know that's not going to happen (and I understand completely why it won't) but I can't get the thought out of my mind that Pitts is likely a better LT than Salaam or Black.

Winston needs to stay on the right side. He's going to be very good there for a very long time.

If anything many thought Spencer was the opposite of what type of linemen Kubiak would be looking for since he is a rather large fellow & had issues with his weight at Pitt. So he definately was a surprise pick. You can chalk up Daniels as a surprise pick as well. I had not heard much of anything about him until we drafted him. I thought for sure we were going to pick up Ko Simpson in round 4. I'm sure glad the Texans grabbed Owen now.

BTW If the Texans draft a Baylor player (Sepulveda, Arline, Wilson, Ziegler) I'll type in green for a good long while.

That doesn't mean he doesn't see us making the playoffs and losing in the first round. He may not consider that "playoff caliber" ie a team that can win in the playoffs. I'm sure he thinks that this team can qualify for the playoffs in the mean time.

I was just guessing where that came from.

This is the quote:

I would need to see the entire transcript, but that appears to be a challenge to the team and potential leaders jockeying for the locker room megaphone. In the past that would have fallen on deaf ears in my opinion.

I would need to see the entire transcript, but that appears to be a challenge to the team and potential leaders jockeying for the locker room megaphone. In the past that would have fallen on deaf ears in my opinion.

No transcript available. It was part of an SI article where Kubiak was talking about the upcoming season.

Personally, I think it was a way to diminish expectations of Matt Schaub = instant savior of the Texans.

When Kubiak was first hired, McNair was saying stuff like David Carr will take the Texans to the Super Bowl. When Kubiak was asked about that stuff, he said, no Carr is a QB that could be on a Super Bowl team, but no one player can take you to the Super Bowl, that this is too much to put on a person. A subtle but important distinction.

Nice analysis in the first post by TC.

Unless they are convinced Spencer comes back this year at close to 100%, I don't think they will rely on the likes of Salaam and Black. Just don't see it. I see them taking Levi Brown or Joe Staley in round one. There is a good chance Brown will be gone by the time they pick, but Staley will likely be available.

I guess the other idea is to either move Pitts back over, or see what Winston can do there. Long term, I prefer Winston inside, with Spencer at RT or vice versa. I think Winston's short arms hurt him at tackle.

Winston is too tall to be a good Guard in my opinion...he isn't even built like a Guard...they gotta have a lot of junk in the trunk to anchor in vs those big thick interior NFL interior linemen....he is built more like a Tackle. Salaam played well last year...I don't know why we would draft a Tackle early when we signed two Vets and have two first year, first day players at tackle also. I don't see us carrying 5 Tackles.

Winston is too tall to be a good Guard in my opinion...he isn't even built like a Guard...they gotta have a lot of junk in the trunk to anchor in vs those big thick interior NFL interior linemen....he is built more like a Tackle.

By no means a rule, but how many TE's get converted to T and then to G. His body and mentality is best suited on the edge in my opinion.

I would like to see the guy settle in at RT and man that position for the next ten years.

Exactly--there is a huge difference from being a team everyone expects to get into the playoffs and possibly make a deep run like Indy and being a contender like the Jags who have been in or at the cusp recently.

If anything many thought Spencer was the opposite of what type of linemen Kubiak would be looking for since he is a rather large fellow & had issues with his weight at Pitt. So he definately was a surprise pick.

And yet some people still say that Brown would not fit the system here.

Dallas_Texan said:
As for Black, he could be put on Sherman, but you have to understand....of the 9 sacks he gave up last year, 4 were in his first game, and after that he only gave up 5 sacks all season. He's also young, and can be coached to get better, so I'm not too about him. I think he will add good depth, and we got him at a cheap price.

Nice factoid there.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens during the draft along the O-line.

if we're certain that spencer's career is done, or that his mobility is going to be severely hampered ... you take a left tackle with the first pick regardless of how big of a reach it is.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.....

You DO NOT take even Staley at #10. He won't be even close to BPA at that spot, and with the needs of this team, you go BPA in the first without question.
There is only one realistic LT prospect at 10 and that's Levi Brown. Other than that (if Thomas and Brown are gone), BPA unless you have another guy who is very close to your BPA in grade, but at a position of MUCH greater need.

The lack of information regaurding Spencer does make me nervous. I just don't wantto end up in the exact same situation last year we did in regaurding to Dominack.

Personally i Prefer the idea of Drafting Levi with the top pick. The combo of Sallaam and Black could get us through the season but afterwards we're right back to square one. Unless Spencer is projected to make it back during the season or ready to go the year after i'd rather not deal with the scenario. I'd prefer Brown over Staley but Staley is shoulders above anyone we'd get with the 3rd rounder.

I hope Winston stays at RT i think he has to tools to really solidfy that spot for a long time for our team.A new Center would be nice though. Maybe Moses will be around in the 4th when we come up.

Fair enough...

Winston is too tall to be a good Guard in my opinion...he isn't even built like a Guard...they gotta have a lot of junk in the trunk to anchor in vs those big thick interior NFL interior linemen....he is built more like a Tackle. Salaam played well last year...I don't know why we would draft a Tackle early when we signed two Vets and have two first year, first day players at tackle also. I don't see us carrying 5 Tackles.

Couldn't agree more. There is no way we take a tackle in the first day. There is definitely no way that we would take Levi Brown with a number 10 pick. He's worth a #16-20 at best. The only reason he's rated top 10 is b/c of lack of options. And whoever was suggesting we take Staley if Brown was gone at 10 is smoking something lethal. But hey, if it goes well with Miller Light! :beerfunnel:

I fully understand the BPA and the BPA/need but my question has to do with this thread.

Spencer = Unknown hurt/not hurt when will he be ready to go???

Winston = Played ok late at RT but can he be a LT maybe but he has not played that position in the NFL so it is a ?

Salaam = Did not humaliate himself last year but he is not a world beater here.

Black = Played LT all last season for the Chefs and gave up a lot of sacks (not the most in the league but still). He is the guy you wanting protecting your new QB who you just gave away picks for and signed to a new contract .

There is no guarantee of a trade down. What I am questioning, is yes the Texans have many holes and yes to go deep the team needs many holes. No one here seems to be happy with the line or saying wow I love our line. Yet you do not want to take any in the draft? Do you think you can find a Lineman in the third be it Tackle, Gaurd or Center.

I am still in the draft Levi brown camp if he is there.

Winston and Spencer are both tweeners to me, that's why I said or vice versa, becaue I could also see Spencer as a really good RG, with Winston at RT. I just feel his arms are short, and because of that he might have some trouble redirecting, or with speed rushers.

As to the rest of your post - Well, if you trust that Spencer is coming back healthy, that's more trust than I have.

Black would be ok as a stop gap starter, but I like him better as a good depth lineman who can play 4 spots.

Salaam - Adequate at best, and barely at that imo.

Winston - ??? Never played there in the pros, so let's turn him loose there now?

The way I view it, LT is the second most important position on offense. Others may disagree. But, I don't want to leave that spot to chance. We need to make sure that Schaub stays upright as much as possible, and give him and our backs a chance to succeed.

To me, it's like insurance. Say we take Brown or Staley. Also say Spencer comes back and has an incredible recovery and is ready to go day one.

How is that a bad thing? You have all sorts of options. Spencer at RG could be nasty. Have Brown/Staley - Pitts - Mckinney - Spencer - Winston

That is a good line, with the one weakness being the pass blocking at center. I don't see why we would take a chance. I guess I take a contrarian view on this.

Lastly - yes I said Staley. He is shooting up the boards. Brown won't last past 10, and he likely goes to Miami or another team before that. I take him if he falls to 10, but I doubt he makes it that far. I don't think Staley at #10 is a reach, although I would much prefer to trade down and pick him up.

Winston - ??? Never played there in the pros, so let's turn him loose there now?

Then what is the point in taking any player in the draft who may need a year or two to develop? By that rationale, the next year you are just going to use a higher draft pick to fill the same hole.

I don't think Staley at #10 is a reach, although I would much prefer to trade down and pick him up.

it's a reach if we pick him at #10, no matter what. i have faith in rick smith that he'll draft the BPA at #10 if we stay at that spot.

Out of the men we have on the roster right now, I'd like to see Winston step up and take control of that position.

Salaam: Did well last year when he wasn't hurt, and is probably the odds on favorite going into camp.
Black: Just don't see it happening at the LT position. Flat out doesn't have the athletic ability for the LT position.
Spencer: My gut tells me this guy will not play another down of football so this is a “believe it when I see it” player.
Winston: Projected as a LT when he came out of Miami. Winston has short arms but was supposed to have the athletic ability and mentality to play the position. Becasue I touted this guy so much, I was very disappointed in his performance last season. Not that Winston did badly, it was just my expectations for him. (I’ve never put too much stock in the whole “long arms” requirement for LTs. If you have the athletic ability to stay in front of the defender, who cares how long your arms are.)

Depending on who’s on the board at the time, I'd like to see us move down the draft board, pick up a second round pick, then take Staley or Reggie Nelson later in the draft. From what I‘ve red I both players have a bit of nasty streak, which I like.

No transcript available. It was part of an SI article where Kubiak was talking about the upcoming season.

Personally, I think it was a way to diminish expectations of Matt Schaub = instant savior of the Texans.

When Kubiak was first hired, McNair was saying stuff like David Carr will take the Texans to the Super Bowl. When Kubiak was asked about that stuff, he said, no Carr is a QB that could be on a Super Bowl team, but no one player can take you to the Super Bowl, that this is too much to put on a person. A subtle but important distinction.
I agree with that.

Well, the guy I'd like for the Texans to go after was McIntosh.
He was signed by the Chiefs (6 yr, unknownterm.)
The raiders brought Black in for a visit, and from what I read a back-up spot.
Even though the Raiders offer a bit more money than the Texans, Black decided to go back to Texas, where he's from.

Some writer in KC actually says that Black may be a little more athletic than MIntosh(?) Possibly.

But I believe Black total number last year was 13 sacks allowed (4 in 1 game, and 9 in the other 14 starts) and 5 penalties.
By any account, the numbers were worse than Salaam's, injured and all.

But it was his first stint at LT in the pro, so hopefully he can improve like Pitts did.

For the sake of continuity, I think Kubiak will leave Winston at RT, and let Black and Salaam goes at it at LT.

I'm also prepared not to see Spencer, but certainly hope that the the Texans' luck turn around soon. Maybe Bud put a curse on us! :brickwall:

Dallas_Texan said:

Nice factoid there.

Nicer had it been correct. gtexan02 had done good research in this thread. Oops, I can't make the link work. Search on threads started by gtexan02, the date was 3-8-2007. I put the whole post in message 36 of this thread.

Free Agent Acquisitions:
Jordan Black - 16 games, started 15.
1 False Start
3 Holdings
13 Sacks Allowed

Lots of sacks, 4 penalties. The board pretty much labeled an LT on the Texans roster a bust after putting up better numbers than these his first year starting. I'm just not enthused about Jordan Black - "he plays multiple positions" doesn't do it for me when we need a left tackle.

Then what is the point in taking any player in the draft who may need a year or two to develop? By that rationale, the next year you are just going to use a higher draft pick to fill the same hole.

I just feel that the coaches like him on the right side, and I don't think we need to be experimenting at this point, at least not in the regular season. Sure, try him out at the camps, but we have to make a decision now. We don't draft after training camp. I think it's leaving it up to hope and chance if we don't draft anyone. I don't see why a Levi Brown or Joe Staley would need two years to develop into a starter.

As an aside, I saw a rumor today that we are highly interested in Ted Ginn Jr, and that we are VERY strongly interested in trading down in round 1 if we can find a partner.

To me Ginn = Hester

Not a bad thing, but I am leery of his hammies.

For post 33:
gtexan02 said:
Well I never had heard of this site until Runner posted it in the Black thread, so I thought I'd bring the info here. Stats don't mean everything, especially with OL, but they do begin to give you a picture. Here they are:

Tackles:
Ephraim Salaam - 15 games, started 14.
4 False Starts
0 Holdings
7.5 Sacks Allowed

Charles Spencer - 2 games, started 2.
1 False Start
0 Holdings
1 Sack Allowed

Eric Winston - 12 games, started 7.
1 False Start
1 Holding
2.5 Sacks Allowed

Zach Wiegart (no longer on team) - 9 games, started 9.
1 False Start
3 Holdings
3.75 Sacks Allowed

Brad Bedel - 9 games, started 0.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
2 Sacks Allowed

Guards
Chester Pitts - 16 games, started 16
3 False Starts
3 Holdings
4.75 Sacks Allowed

Fred Weary - 15 games, started 12.
3 False Starts
1 Holding
3.0 Sacks Allowed

Scott Jackson - 0 games, started 0.
No stats

Centers
Steve McKinney - 16 games, started 6.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
0.5 Sacks Allowed

Drew Hodgdon - 7 games, started 5.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
3 Sacks Allowed

Mike Flanagan - 9 games, started 9.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
0.75 Sacks Allowed

Free Agent Acquisitions:
Jordan Black - 16 games, started 15.
1 False Start
3 Holdings
13 Sacks Allowed

Here is what I can conclude. Out of our tackles, Eric Winston was statistically the best. He didn't play every game, so its tough to get a good read, but he seemed to do pretty well for a rookie on a broken line.

Both our guards were comparable to their expensive FA counterparts. Both gave up a few more sacks than the FAs, but not any huge increase

As for centers, Hodgdon isn't even comparable to the other two.

Ex-Texans
Seth Wand - 7 games, started 0.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
0 Sacks Allowed

Todd Wade - 3 games, started 1.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
0 Sacks Allowed

Milford Brown - 13 games, started 12.
0 False Starts
0 Holdings
2 Sacks Allowed

Other Teams Free Agents Signed This FA Period That We Didn't Target
Eric Steinbach - OG - 16 games, started 16. (Signed with Denver)
5 False Starts
0 Holdings
3.5 Sacks Allowed

Kris Dielman - OG - 15 games, started 15. (Signed with San Diego)
2 False Starts
1 Holding
2 Sacks Allowed

Leonard Davis - LT - 16 games, started 16. (Signed with Dallas)
9 False Starts
2 Holdings
8 Sacks Allowed

Derrick Dockery - OG - 16 games, started 16. (Signed with Buffalo)
6 False Starts
1 Holding
3 Sacks Allowed

Tony Pashos - RT - 16 games, started 16. (Signed with Jacksonville)
3 False Starts
0 Holding
2 Sacks Allowed

Luke Petitgout - RT - 9 games, started 9. (signed with Tampa)
3 False Starts
0 Holdings
4.5 Sacks Allowed

Jon Stinchcomb - LT/RT - 16 games, started 16. (Signed with New Orleans)
3 False Starts
0 Holdings
4 Sacks Allowed

Langston Walker - T - 16 games, started 16. (Signed with Buffalo)
5 False Starts
3 Holdings
10.75 Sacks Allowed

I'm not sure what all these other players received in terms of $$$, but take from it what you will. I'm not sure why we didn't show interest in more FAs out there. There weren't many great ones, but there were a few that we seemed to miss out on.

PS: Feel free to add anyone I missed to this list

[7 yr 49.5 Mill]
5 False Starts
0 Holdings
3.5 Sacks Allowed

[6 year deal]
2 False Starts
1 Holding
2 Sacks Allowed

[7 year 49.6 Mill]
9 False Starts
2 Holdings
8 Sacks Allowed

[7 year 49 Mill]
6 False Starts
1 Holding
3 Sacks Allowed

[5 years]
3 False Starts
0 Holding
2 Sacks Allowed

[3 year 15.5 Mill]
3 False Starts
0 Holdings
4.5 Sacks Allowed

[2 year deal]
3 False Starts
0 Holdings
4 Sacks Allowed

[5 year 25 Mill]
5 False Starts
3 Holdings
10.75 Sacks Allowed

At the time the Texans did not have a lot of cap space and had to use the money sparringly and wisely. not to mention not all of these players fit Kubiacks system. (no I can not tell you which ones).

I just feel that the coaches like him on the right side, and I don't think we need to be experimenting at this point, at least not in the regular season. Sure, try him out at the camps, but we have to make a decision now. We don't draft after training camp. I think it's leaving it up to hope and chance if we don't draft anyone. I don't see why a Levi Brown or Joe Staley would need two years to develop into a starter.

As an aside, I saw a rumor today that we are highly interested in Ted Ginn Jr, and that we are VERY strongly interested in trading down in round 1 if we can find a partner.

To me Ginn = Hester

Not a bad thing, but I am leery of his hammies.

Just because the coaches like Winston on the right side doesn't mean that's the best place for him to play on this team. They put Winston on the right because they really really liked the idea of Spencer on the left, and they had a bunch of guys they were trying on the left--Wand, Spencer, and then Salaam had experience too. It was a logjam in 2006. The dymamics of that aren't the same this year unless the Texans draft a hoss and a half.

These are the same coaches that said that Wand is what they would envision a left tackle to look like, and then later they changed their minds so much that he couldn't get re-signed after injuries happened to the line.

They liked Flanagan at center. And then liked Hodgdon there. And then we had to get negative ten yards rushing to get McKinney in there. (To be fair to Hodgdon, I believe most of his starts were road ones, which can be an easy environment to be getting most of your snaps). I also wonder if there is something about the way the blocking is taught that made for McKinney getting sat--he's not afraid to say stuff but is usually pretty politic. I dunno, it just seemed like there was something going on there that we weren't hearing about.

Personally, the line coaching gives me the willies. This part of Sherman's new bio gives me the willies:

In his first season with the Texans, Sherman worked with offensive line coach John Benton and had a prominent role in installing a new rushing attack. Under Sherman’s direction, the ground game improved throughout the 2006 season, averaging 122.6 yards per game over the last 11 weeks of the season. Running back Ron Dayne rushed for 429 yards in December, more than any single month in his career, including a career-best 153 yards in a win over Indianapolis.

Both opening-day starters at tackle, Charles Spencer and Zach Wiegert, finished the year on Injured Reserve, as did center Mike Flanagan. Despite that, Sherman and Benton shuffled the line and produced nine games in which the team rushed for better than 100 yards, including two of the three best rushing performances in franchise history—191 yards in a win over Indianapolis and 188 yards versus Buffalo.

No mention of pass blocking in the bio.

No mention, of course, of a negative -10 yard rushing game.

Nice way to finesse how horrible the running game was the first part of the season.

bleh. I am just not feeling terribly optimistic about the line play.

I am just not feeling terribly optimistic about the line play.

Me neither. I get the feeling it is Salaam with one more year down the hourglass that is the starter.

I note there was no mention of the totally failed passing "attack" that led to the focus on running. I do think McKinney is clearly the best run blocker they have at center.

I don't want "as good as last year". I want an offensive line that can pass block for an NFL offense.

No mention of pass blocking in the bio.

No mention, of course, of a negative -10 yard rushing game.

Nice way to finesse how horrible the running game was the first part of the season.

bleh. I am just not feeling terribly optimistic about the line play.

You don't feel optimistic about the line play? You felt good enough about it to pass up a likely anchor and 10 year starter for a safety. I don't get it. :confused:

As long as we're throwing out ideas, here are a couple of screwball ideas before Bullrun starts:

1. Rotate the left tackles. It's been done with lots of other positions. Why not give it a shot? JB needs time to learn, as does any LT taken this year. ES has injury problems, and clearly so does CS (if he shows up - I don't think he will).

2. Pass to Winston trick play. The guy was a starting TE at the U before being converted to LT.

Before you throw any rotten tomatos or anything, just keep in mind I'm trying to be open about opportunities here. I think Sherman and Kubes will have to get creative to make this line work. Nothing has yet.

As long as we're throwing out ideas, here are a couple of screwball ideas before Bullrun starts:

1. Rotate the left tackles. It's been done with lots of other positions. Why not give it a shot? JB needs time to learn, as does any LT taken this year. ES has injury problems, and clearly so does CS (if he shows up - I don't think he will).

LTs need to be in a rhythm the whole game - actually the whole line needs to be. You rarely see o-lineman rotated. Capers and crew tried it one game in 2004, and even they didn't do it again.

Bullrun: The Lotus just ate the F-150's lunch. Serves those guys right. I hope they get headlights so they don't have to do anything illegal, the tattletale finks.

You don't feel optimistic about the line play? You felt good enough about it to pass up a likely anchor and 10 year starter for a safety. I don't get it. :confused:

I believe in BPA.

I believe that there are so many problems with the team that you can't pass up the BPA.

With the Texans, you can't count on any left tackle to be a likely anchor or 10 year starter because the position is cursed. CURSED, I TELL YOU!!!!! :vinny:

sorry, watching lots of bad football has twisted my brain some.

I believe in BPA.

I believe that there are so many problems with the team that you can't pass up the BPA.

With the Texans, you can't count on any left tackle to be a likely anchor or 10 year starter because the position is cursed. CURSED, I TELL YOU!!!!! :vinny:

On that I think we definitely agree. :brickwall:

I believe in BPA.

I think the BPA is good if your have a few positions that you want to target. We have Safety, Running back, Cornerback, Wide Receiver, and Offensive lineman to choose from. Now if a BPA fit into any of the slots then we take him, otherwise we look for better options (trading down, trading up)

I would hate for us to have B. Quinn fall to us and we select him because he's BPA.

I have been an advocate of taking a LT in the draft for three years now. In reality, I was before that, but for the first couple years there was the lingering good will from the start of the franchise, the hope that Pitts or Wand would work out there, and the unfounded belief that the team could still fix the O-line with late-round gems or free agents.

The LT has been a problem from the day of the expansion draft. Please draft the best available LEFT TACKLE this year.

How people can ignore the tackle play on this team for the past five years is, to me, absolutely mind-blowing. When McKinney was performing really poorly in 2004 and 2005, this board roasted him. When Hodgdon was performing poorly last year, this board wrote him off. Yet the tackle position has consistently underperformed for YEARS, and everytime a sack is given up (even the cut-n-dried ones), it was somehow twisted around to be someone else's fault. The tackle play on this team has been horrid for years. Winston gave signs of hope for the right tackle position last year, but I wonder to myself how much of that hope was simply because we're comparing him to Todd Wade and Zach Wiegert? Those two were turnstiles. So at least Winston did better than they did.

Oh well, it's just frustrating. In 2005, I wanted a tackle, though I really didn't know who, exactly (though we gave the best tackle to the Saints, yay). Last year, I really wanted Ferguson. This year, I want Levi Brown, or maybe Staley. Next year, it'll be Sam Baker. The year after, who knows? /rant off

I think the BPA is good if your have a few positions that you want to target. We have Safety, Running back, Cornerback, Wide Receiver, and Offensive lineman to choose from. Now if a BPA fit into any of the slots then we take him, otherwise we look for better options (trading down, trading up)

I would hate for us to have B. Quinn fall to us and we select him because he's BPA.

Well true that, it is always those guidelines or else you wind up being the Detroit Lions.

[7 yr 49.5 Mill]
5 False Starts
0 Holdings
3.5 Sacks Allowed

[6 year deal]
2 False Starts
1 Holding
2 Sacks Allowed

[7 year 49.6 Mill]
9 False Starts
2 Holdings
8 Sacks Allowed

[7 year 49 Mill]
6 False Starts
1 Holding
3 Sacks Allowed

[5 years]
3 False Starts
0 Holding
2 Sacks Allowed

[3 year 15.5 Mill]
3 False Starts
0 Holdings
4.5 Sacks Allowed

[2 year deal]
3 False Starts
0 Holdings
4 Sacks Allowed

[5 year 25 Mill]
5 False Starts
3 Holdings
10.75 Sacks Allowed

At the time the Texans did not have a lot of cap space and had to use the money sparringly and wisely. not to mention not all of these players fit Kubiacks system. (no I can not tell you which ones).

And none of those guys are projected to start at left tackle, with maybe Petitgout bing the exception; and he's older with soem injury concerns if I'm not mistaken.

Back