Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

youngest tripple treat in the league

calitexanfan

Practice Squad
u got david carr, domanik davis, and andre johnson do all u guys agree? how scary is this, none of these guys are in there 30's hopefully they can b together 4 a long time :thumbup

I'm with you on Carr and Johnson, but I'm not too sure what's going to happen with DD. Right now, I want to see more of Wells.

if DD doesnt work out.. we are going to NEED an every down back to round out or offense. you just cant compete in the NFL without some kind of running game.

If only Carr could finish a game with a clean uniform ...... he takes so many hits , many as he releases or shortly after not to mention the sacks . Ever notice how Manning has ALL DAY to go thru his reads , find a reciever and throw , he seldom gets knocked down much less sacked and as many times a game as they throw the ball thats amazing . Given that kind of line play , Carr Johnson , Davis , Armstrong and Gaffney can put up the same kinda numbers as Manning , Harrison , Edge , Wayne and Stokley ..... He!! given that kinda time i could put up numbers :thumbup

Id like us to get Cedric Benson :)

Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams both came out of UT.. maybe Cedric Benson is the next generation.

Cedric Benson will be a first round pick though. I think we will be drafting heavily on defense again. Kay Jay Harris will likely cost us a mid round pick.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Carr-Johnson-Davis

Is still the trifecta. Davis is not running to well because there are simply no lanes for him. Either the o-line blows or we are not creative enough on our run plays. I see both as a problem.

I agree i dont think its that Davis is a "bust" but the zone blocking just dont seem to be working for him. Dont worry D.D i still love ya. And man 3rd Coast Playa how can ya say that ya think Davis would be better at KR and PR than J.J moses ??? Moses always gets big returns when we need them most !!! No love for J.J or D.D whats this world coming to ?

Yep, I blame the new zone-blocking for the pressure on Carr and the lack of running games. It is the only thing that has been changed, and it is a significant change at that. I agree with corrosion that Carr never seems to have enough time to make his first reads, much less sit back in the pocket waiting for a WR to get open.

I find it hard for anyone to think a 1,000 yard rushing fourth round RB behind our O-line is a possible bust! while he has had more fumbles this year than all last year (i believe not positive) he has also been injured and for most of preseason to, so give him some time with the o-line and lets see what he can do this season as well.

true but not many 4th round picks, starting only 10 games behind an O-line that was in the bottom quarter of the league.

Dommink Rhodes
any number of the Denver backs , Olandis Gary, etc....

Rhodes was an undrafted rookie who got 1000 yards for indy...

I think the number one challenge of a player who is able to rush for that in a season is to match it the next, when teams are keying on them and have a full season of game film to key in on them.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.. you think its the zone blocking?

1. the zone blocking has worked fine so far. It worked awesomely in the first two games.. and it worked well enough for Wells in the oakland game.

2. Our RBs have had no trouble putting up good rushing stats behind our current Oline. as i said.. DD did fine in the first two games.. Wells did good against Oakland.

3. There is a very simple reason why DD isnt finding holes.. its because he has happy feet behind the line of scrimmage.. he isnt just rocketing into the hole like he used to.. he is taking too long. I dont know if it is because he is worried about dropping the ball or what.. but watch the games again.. there are SO MANY time where he is shuffling around behind the line.. then tries to hit a hole and just gets ganked.

4. The last game against the Vikes didnt seem to use zone blocking.. at least not in the way we saw it used before. Instead of the whole line moving left or right and DD cutting back into a hole.. they just moved forward and DD tried to power through.. not his strongest point.

DD isnt a bust yet.. but he needs to get it together. Either that, or we need to use him differently.

Harrington-Jones-Williams haven't done squat. Joey Harrington hasn't proved a thing other than the fact that throwing for 150 yards a game with 1 TD is all he can do. Jones has played 4 games, as has Williams. Williams, I agree, is a legitimate stud and will fall in the same line as AJ, Harrington still struggles with all of his weapons. Jones hasn't proved a thing. :BananaWav

Concerning DD's lack of production this season , you must take into account the fact he missed the vast majority of time in training camp and pre-season as he had last season , the difference being last season he didnt break the line-up until week 6 , in essence giving him 6 weeks to prepare for those last 10 games , equal to the roughly the length of training camp .
I expect him to get it together soon , and put up numbers as good or better than last season ..... lets just hope he can QUIT PUTTING THE BALL ON THE GROUND . take away those turn-overs against the Chargers and Lions the Texans are easily 4-1 instead of 2-3 .

I like DD alot, but as far as triple threat with Carr and AJ.. (no disrespect to DD) but I don't see it. DD is solid, but when I think of triple threat. I see a Qb that can make throws from anywhere on the field (Carr can do it), a WR that can take it to paydirt anytime you give him space and can make the tough catches (AJ can do that). Last but not least a triple threat at RB, He can break one at any time and beat you. I don't see DD having that kinda "speed" to break one at anytime. DD is a solid football player that knows how to run north and south. I think people get too excited (talking in general here and not pointing a finger at anyone) about the 1000 yard mark with DD. Yes it is a good accomplishment. And for the Texans, looks even better being we never had a runningback before that has done that. A 1000 yards isn't what it used to be. :twocents:

Wolf said:
I like DD alot, but as far as triple threat with Carr and AJ.. (no disrespect to DD) but I don't see it. Last but not least a triple threat at RB, He can break one at any time and beat you. I don't see DD having that kinda "speed" to break one at anytime.

The classic example that people think of as a triple threat was Aikman, Irvin and too little, too slow Emmitt Smith. Now Emmitt did have two advantages over DD, an OL that could open holes big enough for something larger than a hummingbird to get through and luck, bone structure, whatever so that he didn't get injured much (although he did miss 1-2 games every other year--every RB no matter how large or how small gets injured).

And on the injury prone comments folks are making--IMO, unless you are looking at consistent injury to the same location indicating a structural weakness then the injury prone label people stick on players that get hit for a living is hooey. Classic example Fragile Fred Taylor who missed a ton of games in his first 4 years and has now gone 2.25 without missing a game. DD has missed time due to a broken hand, ribs, bruised thigh and ankle injuries as a Texan. Maybe if he just laid down on the ground the first time someone hit him like Wells did the 1st year he wouldn't be injury prone.

One more observation on injury and size--the classic example used of who we should have taken, boy wouldn't it have been great, yada yada RB that people wish the Texans had taken is Clinton Portis--he is 16lbs lighter than DD and he missed 7 games due to injury in his 1st two years. Hmmm, maybe the difference between a good RB and a too small, injury prone 3rd down back is a good OL.

By the way, trivia question for the DD isn't big enough, we need a big, full time back crowd--how many RB's in top twenty so far this year are over 230 lbs? OK the suspense would be too much--3. And just 2 more are in between DD's weight and 230. So 75% of the top RB's are DD's size or smaller. The DD is too small argument just doesn't hunt.

Im not saying DD is imjury prone , take a look back on page one of this thread (7th reply to this topic ) . "IF only Carr could finish a game with a clean uniform."
What im getting at here is the fact he has missed a lot of Preperation / Practice / Reps that had he not ben injured he is possibly better prepared . Missing training camp and practice time with the first team has hurt , no doubt about it , he's just not playing near as well as last season ....Hollings nor Wells aregonna take the starting position from DD.
No , he's not the fastest nor biggest back the Texans have . But he is the most complete back on the Texans roster . Emmitt Smith is a good comparison for the type of back DD is although he has done it for many seasons . If DD can have a carreer half as good as Smith's im sure the coaching staff / managment will be thrilled as will most of the fans .
Its my best guess that DD comes on strong late in the season ..... Good luck and Good Health DD .

corrosion--I wasn't refering to you with the injury prone comment. There are several folks in this thread and a number of others that have described DD that way--maybe he is, but 1.25 seasons isn't going to tell us that. Just one of those constant themes we get that I wanted to address along with the we should have taken Portis and DD is too small things.

By the way, since we all agree Portis is a very good back, how is this for a demonstration of the importance of an OL?

Clinton Portis 2002 & 2003 5.5 ypc 5 fumbles and 3 fumbles
2004 3.6 ypc 4 fumbles (in 5 games).

infantrycak said:
By the way, since we all agree Portis is a very good back, how is this for a demonstration of the importance of an OL?

Clinton Portis 2002 & 2003 5.5 ypc 5 fumbles and 3 fumbles
2004 3.6 ypc 4 fumbles (in 5 games).

If Only Carr could finish a game with a clean uniform :boxing:

Back