Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Yates or Leinart ?

Which QB would you prefer to start

• Total voters
Why work on a backup plan only to abandon it when it comes time to put it in place? Of course someone had to create this thread so if things turn out bad they can say "I was saying this before the bye...2 out of 20 of my football related guesses come true and that makes me a genius."

so you think thats why i created this thread ???? haha

Two very, very interesting thoughts here. Time to start planning for the future. I like Schaub's decision making and the way he's made the team his own since he first got here. He's not blessed with the fabled "laser-rocket arm" of the Peyton or the amazing wheels of Newton/Tebow/Vick but he's worked his ass off enough to make himself into a pro bowl QB.

But the fact is he may be gone for the season and may not be himself next season. I mean, that was his plant foot that was hurt correct? And while Matty HotTub should be able to keep this ship on course to a division title, he also is one good lick away from being carted off.

All that to say you two guys are right: Time to get some insurance for this season and to start planning for the future. Here's a list of QBs that will be available in F/A next year. The draftniks will have to show us who's might be a golden nugget available in rounds 3, 4, or 5.

Drew Brees (NO) <--- hahahahaha no way in hell
Matt Flynn (GB)
Alex Smith (SF)
Kyle Orton (Den) <--- with TebowMania sweeping Denver, this might not be a bad pickup
Jason Campbell (OAK)
Donovan McNabb (MIN)
Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR) <--- I don't know which is the real Derek; the bust in AZ or the pro bowler of Cincy
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
David Garrard (FA) <--- His problem is he won't want to stay a backup
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ)
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted <--- he looked pretty decent when I've seen him
If Matt Shaub has issues with recovery I say give a draft pick to get Matt Flynn (GB) he will be much better than waiting on a rookie and we still can draft another QB to groom in maybe the 4th or 5th. Matt Flynn & Chase Daniels are playing in high powered west coast offenses and that would make for an easy transition.

This board has been rather calm with the prospect of Leinart taking over.

I wonder if it would be this way if Orvlosky was still the number 2......

images

oh HELL naw!

All yall voting for Yates will recieve the wrath of Hot Tub QB Man as he decends from the room of Reliant for the Atlanta game in a golden hot tub flanked by naked cheerleaders. With a swift snap of his towel, he will sweep aside the Falcon defenders. With his golden beer funnel he will then destroy their entire team. Leaving the stadium in his flying golden hot tub he will shower the fans with chocolate Lambardi trophies and used cheerleader undies.

My friends, our hero has arrived. :cow:

msr

I joined just to chime in here. I spent the last year watching Yates play and the thing about him is, he shows up some games and the next have a ton of turnovers. He was never as consistent as I would have liked. Not saying he won't be solid at some point, I'd just be hesitant to trust him at this point as a starting QB.

Well this is way more lopsided than i thought. Especially after all the praise i saw for Yates during the pre season.

yates didnt have an awesome game, but didnt lose us the game, overall i like what i saw from him, i just think the defense not respecting the pass and loading the box along with kubiak being really conservative with the rookie didnt really give us a chance to see what he has.

yates didnt have an awesome game, but didnt lose us the game, overall i like what i saw from him, i just think the defense not respecting the pass and loading the box along with kubiak being really conservative with the rookie didnt really give us a chance to see what he has.

This. Kubiak got scared. Now we get to see what kind of coach he really is. He has to get a rookie ready to face a tough Atlanta team.

This. Kubiak got scared. Now we get to see what kind of coach he really is. He has to get a rookie ready to face a tough Atlanta team.

Got scared?

We had a 10 point lead & supposedly the best running game in the AFC, next to Jacksonville.

I liked how he came out letting the kid throw the ball at the end of the first half... but I wouldn't say he got scared in the second... cautious maybe... smart ... eh... he's got a rookie QB playing in a game he wasn't supposed to be.

When you refuse to let the kid at least throw for the first down, that is being scared. It didn't have to be fancy. Just a dig to the sideline or something. I'm not saying they even had to score. Just get a first down or two.

When you refuse to let the kid at least throw for the first down, that is being scared. It didn't have to be fancy. Just a dig to the sideline or something. I'm not saying they even had to score. Just get a first down or two.

I don't know man, we had a lead though. Risk having TJ go down the field and throwing a INT and putting the ball back into J-villes hands with more time left on the clock or you take the easy run or check down plays and extend the drive a long as possible while burning some time off the clock.

Its one thing if we were playing from behind, then I would be about having him take a few shots down the field, however, I would rather just get out of J-ville with a W so that we can prep TJ for next weeks games.

I am expecting to lose to Atlanta. Asking a rook to play against a tough ATL D that will stack the box is asking a bit much. I want to see how he does against Cincy. He will have had two full weeks of practice where he is the #1 and will face a quality D. If he can remain healthy, I expect he will do well against Carolina and Indy.

I am expecting to lose to Atlanta. Asking a rook to play against a tough ATL D that will stack the box is asking a bit much. I want to see how he does against Cincy. He will have had two full weeks of practice where he is the #1 and will face a quality D. If he can remain healthy, I expect he will do well against Carolina and Indy.

I can just see Dunta getting a pic 6.....

& running his mouth

:bat:

I can just see Dunta getting a pic 6.....

& running his mouth

:bat:

I actually think we will see a heavy run game against ATL very similar to what we saw here in the 2nd half as Kubes gets Yates up to speed. I think the playbook opens a bit more against Cincy and increases by 10% each game thereafter.

was buying leinart, not buying yates. hope to be proved wrong

Honestly. I was buying into Leinart before he reminded me why I hated the 2006 Texans offense. I was flipping out when TJ almost scored us a TD at the bottom of the first half. I wasn't expecting that at all. If we don't get too conservative I think this kid can be real solid. Did you see how he stared down the pressure? Wow.

Can't we just take some of Leinart's collarbone and fix Schaub's ankle with it? Doc?

Better yet, let's just take one of Leinart's ankles. He owes the team anyway. :)

Jus' put 'im in a hot-tub after.

Tell you the truth:

We're in a 2-minute drill, losing by 4 points with 1:30 left and 2 timeouts....or something like that (whatever). We need a TD; FG ain't helpin' nothin'. Who do I want behind center? I'm takin' Yates over Leinart. Leinart I trust more not to throw picks. Yates, however, looks like he has the higher upside when I watch him. All Leinart's gonna do in that situation is throw 8 yard passes up the middle. Might as well run 10 draws in a row.

Honestly. I was buying into Leinart before he reminded me why I hated the 2006 Texans offense. I was flipping out when TJ almost scored us a TD at the bottom of the first half. I wasn't expecting that at all. If we don't get too conservative I think this kid can be real solid. Did you see how he stared down the pressure? Wow.

Yes, that was a big wow factor. Yates appears to have better pocket presence than Schaub and Lienart, he appears to have more zip on the football. You can tell he's learned a lot about footwork from coach Knapp, something that was his downfall at UNC. He seemed confident. AJ reported that Yates went into his first huddle and said, "How's it goin' fellas? Let's go.". We also saw him give some pre-snap reads on blitz pickup. His vision was all the way down the field, and he seemed fearless in the face of pressure.

But before anyone starts thinking I spiked my Kool-Aid, he missed a wide open KW on a throw and threw away some balls needlessly. I'll give him a pass on the late lob to OD. He had to double pump that one.

The fact is, Yates has no experience. That hurts. A lot. He's going to have to grow up fast, if he grows up at all.

If he doesn't make our next opponents respect his game? We're sunk. End of story.

Now that Leinart's hurt, you guys need to start this poll over, LOL.

haha that would be no fare. I have felt he had all the tools to be a good QB since i first saw him in pre season. I think we might be looking at the texans QB of the future right here

I was one of a few to vote for Yates the first time. I was really high on him when we drafted him and from the little i saw of him in the preseason. With a full week of practice with the first team under his belt, i think he may turn some heads in the Atlanta game.

He must evolve.

Ha! Yeah, in a friggin's hurry!

The way I see it, after other teams scope the film on us vs. the Jags, and the way we game planned with Lienart, the next 5 teams should be chomping at the bit to shut down our run and make Yates pass the ball.

The other teams will figure that if the game plan was short to medium passes with Lienart, then Yates won't have a chance.

In other words, unlike Matt Lienart, where he didn't have to put the game on his shoulders, I believe it will be opposite with Yates.

There's a ton on his shoulders.

Ha! Yeah, in a friggin's hurry!

The way I see it, after other teams scope the film on us vs. the Jags, and the way we game planned with Lienart, the next 5 teams should be chomping at the bit to shut down our run and make Yates pass the ball.

The other teams will figure that if the game plan was short to medium passes with Lienart, then Yates won't have a chance.

In other words, unlike Matt Lienart, where he didn't have to put the game on his shoulders, I believe it will be opposite with Yates.

There's a ton on his shoulders.

Yates has the arm, it appears he has the vision, he didnt look skidish in the pocket, he would hold the ball to long at times, i think practicing with the first team and getting a rythm down with the guys will eliminate that. i Am actually encouraged after what i saw today.

It may be crazy but i feel very confident that he can more than take us to the promise land.

I voted for Leinart & still stand behind that vote at the time.

But, if it were up to me, Tj "Pinky" Yates has won the starting job today.

Yes, I said it.

Won the starting job today.

Back