Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

XFL Season One schedule and TV coverage

It was much better game than I expected. I plan on watching next week. It was good to have some names on the roster that I know. 20,000 fans May not be enough in the stand.
Happy Socks tweeted that he will playing in this upcoming game. Charles James

These poor announcers, LOL, “Battle Cats”, (Battlehawks) ”Renegades” (Roughnecks)
yeah but similar things happen in NFL. Didn't seem to be as many TV technical difficulties as I expected. Overall I enjoyed the experience. Hopefully as season progresses team will get better.

These poor announcers, LOL, “Battle Cats”, (Battlehawks) ”Renegades” (Roughnecks)
Good eve yea poor announcers lol allow to add lol I'm watching the Renegades game now. First year and they say Renegades are favored to win it all. Well this game so far is not impressive of the renegades and the game is very sloppy on both sides

What's crazy is I don't even watch NFL Cowboys and here I am watching Renegades. Probably wanted to see what the hoot is about that Renegades are favored to win it all.

And this was never a problem in the 80's, 90's, and so on.

Sure it was. That's why the payola system thrived. Boosters and players justified the payouts based on the premise that the universities were making money off their names. That's precisely the root of the issue. Hell, SMU was on probation for this in 1974. I'm sure the whole problem predates that.

Now, you can argue that the general public has only fairly recently piled on to the commentary, but the boosters, schools, NCAA, and players have decried the schools making money off them for a long time. And that is the root of the problem, as far as those entities are concerned. They don't care about the scholarship. It holds no/very little value to them. So from a pure economic exchange, you're going to tell a young man that he can't ply his trade in the free market and the only way he can continue working on this career choice is to become an indentured servant for X number of years (it's changed over time) and the payment will be int he form of something you don't care about.

So yeah, the XFL offers relief from one piece of that problem, in that it offers opportunity for the best and brightest of that age group to ply their trade in the open market. It does not address the problems of the universities/NCAA making money hand over fist on the backs of its unpaid/underpaid/mis-paid labor.

NO matter what you say about a college degree or a scholarship, it simply doesn't hold any value for some people. We can agree that these people are, to use the proper term, Total Dumbasses (TM), but I think most would agree that you shouldn't be able tio use the name, image, or likeness of a person for the purpose of making money without offering fair compensation. In any free markey contract negotiation for such, if you offered Bitcoin to a player, they might say yes, but they also might say hell no, I want USD. That sort of negotiation is withheld from these grown, legal age adults in the NCAA system.

So like I said, the XFL offers one way for a select few players to just avoid that situation altogether, while doing nothing to address that wrong.

Week 1 MVP: Houston QB P.J. Walker
The former Temple product was deemed too short and perhaps a bit too slow to make it in the NFL, but he was unstoppable in Houston's 37-17 rout of Los Angeles on Saturday afternoon with four touchdowns and nearly 300 yards of total offense. Sure, he's a touch short and a tad slow in the 40, but he can ball. He's everything this league should want in a quarterback.

https://www.cbssports.com/xfl/news/...rs-falling-flat-opening-weeks-highs-and-lows/

Walker has an arm. Did y'all see the one TD throw where he was rolling to his left and then just flicked his wrist? Ball went 45 yards in the air and his feet weren't set. He might not be Mahomes, but his arm is NFL caliber. Hard to convince me he should have been cut in favor of Brian Freakin' Hoyer.

Way more than assumed by the general public. Outside the powerhouse schools, most athletes are recruited as come to school and get a degree and have long-shot at the pros. I had two nephews go to D1 schools (one Big 12 and one lowest possible conference) and both finished in 4 years and a semester. And neither was paid a dime under the table.

Yep. My son went to SFA on a football scholarship and never received a dime. Same for his entire team.

After one week, the Roughnecks lead their division because everyone else in their division lost their opener. LOL

Also, after one week the Roughnecks lead the XFL in TDs with 5 and in time-of-possession.

The Roughnecks will probably end up being another Houston team that wins a championship that nobody cares about.

I did like the XFL kickoff. It's a good solution to keeping the kickoff in the game while modifying it to reduce injuries. (I can't stand the 4th & 15 idea the NFL was using in the pro bowl.)

I did like the XFL kickoff. It's a good solution to keeping the kickoff in the game while modifying it to reduce injuries.
With the way they do it though, there doesn’t appear to be a way to do onsides kicks.

Is that out or do they do something else?

With the way they do it though, there doesn’t appear to be a way to do onsides kicks.

Is that out or do they do something else?
per the rulebook....
If a team wishes to run an onside kick, it must indicate this to the official before the play and the two teams will be permitted to line up using traditional NFL rules (i.e. 10 yards apart from the kicking team). There will be no surprise onside kicks.

If the Roughnecks win the championship, this may turn out like the Comets where only a few care. lol

I was one of them. :(

If the Roughnecks win the championship, this may turn out like the Comets where only a few care. lol

I was one of them. :(

The Comets kicked ass in their early years, getting the first 5 championships of the new league. It was like you just expected it of them after a while. Houston hasn't seen anything like that before or since.

The Comets kicked ass in their early years, getting the first 5 championships of the new league. It was like you just expected it of them after a while. Houston hasn't seen anything like that before or since.
Yeah, I remember they had the best duo in all of the WNBA, Sheryl Swoopes and Cynthia Cooper. That team was special.

That's great at least Houston still has a local WNBA team. Here in typical fashion the WNBA Stars left San Antonio last year and moved to Las Vegas.

Awesome but even better if the Roughnecks are playing for the ring. Great for the city to host. Bring it on home Houston Roughnecks! Bring on the Championship ring!

Be like the Aeros (WHL), Comets (WNBA) and Galaxy (Soccer)......these were teams that succeeded in Houston but were in sports and at a time when those sports were not supported. Roughnecks succeeding would be a different bear all together. Go Roughnecks!!!

Be like the Aeros (WHL), Comets (WNBA) and Galaxy (Soccer)......these were teams that succeeded in Houston but were in sports and at a time when those sports were not supported. Roughnecks succeeding would be a different bear all together. Go Roughnecks!!!

If you mean the minor league Aeros, I agree. The WHA Aeros of the 70’s were well supported.

Reactions: JB
I know you have to be of a certain age, but I have a lot of Gamblers nostalgia. They were good, fun to watch, played in spring, and came along at a time when the Oilers sucked. Then Trump ruined it.

Hoping the XFL can keep this thing going and have fun, competitive football in the off-season. Already like several players in the league and it'll only get better with familiarity.

Wow, I went on the XFL site to buy a Roughneck shirt and hat and they're either SOLD OUT or they only have small sizes only. Houston is XFL crazy. Exciting stuff
Lots of folks decked out in Roughnecks gear on Sunday. Even saw several dudes decked out in hard hats and their "Halliburton" overalls, painted faces, helmets, and the whole nine yards. People are into it for now.

Lots of folks decked out in Roughnecks gear on Sunday. Even saw several dudes decked out in hard hats and their "Halliburton" overalls, painted faces, helmets, and the whole nine yards. People are into it for now.

You’re going to have your hardcore fans no matter what it is. Even the minor league Aeros had theirs. An indoor soccer team back in the 90’s, the Hotshots had theirs. The Sabercats rugby team has theirs.

No doubt the Roughnecks will have theirs as well. Even more so because it’s football. And, of course, it helps a lot that they appear to be one of the best teams in the league. But you probably could have guessed that with a June Jones offense that this league’s defenses aren’t going to be as adept in slowing down with the mostly 4th string talent on the field.

Look, not trying to poopoo this league. I think it’s good and very much needed for the development of some of these players, which is only going to make it better for the NFL to have capable backups, and the occasional diamond in the rough, getting game reps that they otherwise wouldn’t. But it’s never going to be anything more than a developmental league. And that’s fine. Like I said, it’s been something that has been way overdue for these 54-90 roster guys that never get the reps.

Back