Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

XFL Season One schedule and TV coverage

Also, today the Roughnecks play a "pre-season" game, not televised, against the LA Wildcats. Likely just a dress rehearsal for the players, coaches and refs.

Hey guys, here is your league for college players to GET PAID!

For all you NCAA thumpers who want to ruin the college football system, here is your ANSWER.

What if I told you that college football players CAN GET PAID? They can leave their Universities and their opportunities to get college degrees and join the XFL.

For all you NCAA thumpers who want to ruin the college football system, here is your ANSWER.

What if I told you that college football players CAN GET PAID? They can leave their Universities and their opportunities to get college degrees and join the XFL.

Um NCAA players do get paid it's just against the rules until they change it like they should.

Would you put ur own body in danger for FREE????

Also think about THIS. If sports betting is legal and these players are forced to play without getting money then wut stops them from throwing games? Ever thought about that???

How many college athletes, do you think, are in school for the education versus attending school to make the next step in their chosen sport?

Oops. Roughnecks lose their preseason game to the LA Wildcats 23-18. That's who they open the season with in a few weeks.

This XFL is gonna be horrible. It was horrible 20 years ago and I expect the same this time around.

If it works for baseball (MiLB) it could work for football (MiLF).......MILF!!!!!! Ha-Ha.

Well I wish they'd just shut up about paying the players. If the media doesn't like their system, then quit your jobs and stop covering the sport and making them more money. Oh, thats right they want to make money off of it too? Typical hypocrites. If young athletes don't feel like a degree is anything of value to them, then they don't have to play. At the very least they get a platform to show the NFL what they could do by the time they're old enough to play there, and that's an opportunity in itself. Now they have their XFL, so either play there for a lower pay to showcase yourself or play for a big college school and be thankful for what they're giving you.

This XFL is gonna be horrible. It was horrible 20 years ago and I expect the same this time around.
I can't promise success in the years to come but it will be different in terms of playing real football. 20 years ago mcmahon instilled too much WWE into it and learned the end result. This time there is no WWE in it.

Well I wish they'd just shut up about paying the players. If the media doesn't like their system, then quit your jobs and stop covering the sport and making them more money. Oh, thats right they want to make money off of it too? Typical hypocrites. If young athletes don't feel like a degree is anything of value to them, then they don't have to play. At the very least they get a platform to show the NFL what they could do by the time they're old enough to play there, and that's an opportunity in itself. Now they have their XFL, so either play there for a lower pay to showcase yourself or play for a big college school and be thankful for what they're giving you.
yep hi Texecutioner allow me to add that there will also be ex nfl and canadian leaguers too. It's only 10 games less than 2 months it should be fun. I have 3 boys who graduated with master degrees from universities and colleges that now have ok jobs. But after 10 years from graduation they are still paying off their loans. I went to a 2 year tech school HVAC did it for a career for 30 years and now get a great retirement check. They all played high school football.

So what is the age restriction for playing in the XFL? Is there one? Can they take high school players?

Did anyone know Jerry Glanville was DC for the Tampa team? Please don't put this crazy man in the press box. He needs to be on the sideline to put on a show.

TeamCoachingGFX_TB__Wide

How many college athletes, do you think, are in school for the education versus attending school to make the next step in their chosen sport?

Way more than assumed by the general public. Outside the powerhouse schools, most athletes are recruited as come to school and get a degree and have long-shot at the pros. I had two nephews go to D1 schools (one Big 12 and one lowest possible conference) and both finished in 4 years and a semester. And neither was paid a dime under the table.

Last edited:
So what is the age restriction for playing in the XFL? Is there one? Can they take high school players?
I'm not sure but I think the NFL waits at least 3 years out of high school. The XFl may sign players less than 3 years out of high school. But while in high school I would think not.

Way more than assumed by the general public. Outside the powerhouse schools, most athletes are recruited as come to school and get a degree and have long-shot at the pros. I have two nephews go the D1 schools (one Big 12 and one lowest possible conference) and both finished in 4 years and a semester. And neither was paid a dime under the table.
Interesting note we went to see our 16 yr old grandson play high school soccer past Saturday. At the high school hung a big banner saying earn college credits. I think many high schools are doing this now. I have 2 cousins entering college at sophomore and junior years. Wow not sure it's because they are very smart hehe or it's a college money driven programs or what have you. Nowadays a bachelors is nothing must get a masters. We have 3 sons with masters graduated 10 years ago and still paying off the loans.

Interesting note we went to see our 16 yr old grandson play high school soccer past Saturday. At the high school hung a big banner saying earn college credits. I think many high schools are doing this now. I have 2 cousins entering college at sophomore and junior years. Wow not sure it's because they are very smart hehe or it's a college money driven programs or what have you. Nowadays a bachelors is nothing must get a masters. We have 3 sons with masters graduated 10 years ago and still paying off the loans.

Dual credit. It used to be reserved for the truly special, but during the time I have been an instructor (both high school and college), it is now relatively commonplace. In fact, so-called Early College High School and some charter schools guarantee the two-years of college credit as part of the graduation requirement. Yes, I do think it is reflective of a devaluation of a college degree.

I'm not sure but I think the NFL waits at least 3 years out of high school. The XFl may sign players less than 3 years out of high school. But while in high school I would think not.
According to XFL commish Oliver Luck, they don't have league eligibility requirements.

In December, XFL commissioner Oliver Luck told the Sports Business Radio Road Show that the league is "not subject" to the eligibility rules in place in the NFL, adding that, in theory, the XFL could select players directly from high school.

“But I wouldn’t rule it out,” Luck said, per PFT. “Nor would I rule out taking a player who played a year of college football and let’s say isn’t eligible academically, which happens. Or a player who is two years out of college, and is transferring, and would have to sit out a year. A lot of guys don’t want to. ... We are in that position to be able to take players who wouldn't be eligible to play in the NFL. ...

McMahon also says No Kneeling No Politics and No Criminals to the XFL. js

McMahon also says No Kneeling No Politics and No Criminals to the XFL. js

I guess ole college football may not be so bad after all. :)

Dual credit. It used to be reserved for the truly special, but during the time I have been an instructor (both high school and college), it is now relatively commonplace. In fact, so-called Early College High School and some charter schools guarantee the two-years of college credit as part of the graduation requirement. Yes, I do think it is reflective of a devaluation of a college degree.

Deserving of its own thread, but I think it's more reflective of a crappy K-12 educational system. The reason it used to be uncommon was because it really took a focused/intelligent student to handle school work from two schools, because college education built upon what you learned in high school. Now, you have kids going to college who didn't learn as much as I did when I was in high school, and I was not in any honors programs or GT. I was just a normal high school schmo. When I went to UH, I took a chemistry class in about 2007, give or take a year. I graduated high school in 1990 (Go Aldine!). There were freshmen students at UH who didn't know basic chemistry stuff that I remembered from high school 15+ years prior. I ran into that in English classes, all my science classes, and math, though I cut the math kids a little more slack.

So this should kill that whole argument of why college players should be paid outside of their expensive scholarships. They'll have the XFL where they can showcase their talents and get paid if that is what they want to do.

That's not really the crux of the argument at all. These universities are making money off a person's name, image, and likeness. You can't do that anywhere else in the world (well, Asia LOL) withuot paying fair compensation. So then the debate becomes putting a value on a college education and comparing that to the value gleaned by the universities/NCAA. Since there's no set answer to that question, the debate will rage on.

Yes, this provides one avenue for a very few players to just avoid that situation altogether, but it doesn't resolve that situation. It just avoids it (again, for very few players).

Deserving of its own thread, but I think it's more reflective of a crappy K-12 educational system. The reason it used to be uncommon was because it really took a focused/intelligent student to handle school work from two schools, because college education built upon what you learned in high school. Now, you have kids going to college who didn't learn as much as I did when I was in high school, and I was not in any honors programs or GT. I was just a normal high school schmo. When I went to UH, I took a chemistry class in about 2007, give or take a year. I graduated high school in 1990 (Go Aldine!). There were freshmen students at UH who didn't know basic chemistry stuff that I remembered from high school 15+ years prior. I ran into that in English classes, all my science classes, and math, though I cut the math kids a little more slack.
I totally agree with your post, the only reason I gave it a thumbs down was due to you representin' Aldine :slapfight:. I graduated from Smiley in 89...Go Eagles! (even though the school is gone)

I totally agree with your post, the only reason I gave it a thumbs down was due to you representin' Aldine :slapfight:. I graduated from Smiley in 89...Go Eagles! (even though the school is gone)

Smiley HS is gone? My cousins went to Smiley in the early and md 70's. I went to Furr HS from the mid 70's to 81. It used to be both a Jr/Sr HS back then.

That's not really the crux of the argument at all. These universities are making money off a person's name, image, and likeness. You can't do that anywhere else in the world (well, Asia LOL) withuot paying fair compensation. So then the debate becomes putting a value on a college education and comparing that to the value gleaned by the universities/NCAA. Since there's no set answer to that question, the debate will rage on.

Yes, this provides one avenue for a very few players to just avoid that situation altogether, but it doesn't resolve that situation. It just avoids it (again, for very few players).

I've been a huge proponent of a minor league football system since the early 90's. If baseball can make their system work......football could to. The problem, taking those athletes away from the profit minded colleges......that's the sticking point.

Vince McMahon doesn't need to answer to no one. If he can see a benefit of making the XFL available to HS athletes who would like to get paid while developing their game versus going to college only to waste the educational part of that commitment......I've got zero problem with that. In the end, if there's talent that an NFL team thinks it can benefit from, they're going to sign that individual.

CFB fans (I'm one to), don't you fret......those student athletes that really want to play football and get an education will still play college ball at every level. The XFL would offer those athletes another option besides quitting football after HS b/c school work wasn't their cup of tea.

That's not really the crux of the argument at all. These universities are making money off a person's name, image, and likeness. You can't do that anywhere else in the world (well, Asia LOL) withuot paying fair compensation. So then the debate becomes putting a value ogn a college education and comparing that to the value gleaned by the universities/NCAA. Since there's no set answer to that question, the debate will rage on.

And this was never a problem in the 80's, 90's, and so on. All these talking heads want to change all of that all because "more money" is being made? So what. The College institutions don't owe the athletes any more and or any extra just because they created their own system that gets athletes a great opportunity to shine on the field and a road to the NFL if they're good enough. If they're not they're leaning back on a very expensive free education that will help them throughout their entire life, and personally I think its insulting to act like a college degree isn't jack. I don't have one, and my job situation would have been a hell of a hot easier throughout my life if I did. Bottom line is if people want to devalue what the college experience is for a great athlete in football, then they simply have no clue. Those guys live like kings around the campus, and all these "woe is him" stories they try to create about the poor athlete who can't even feed himself is propaganda. They are living rockstar lives getting a free education, and if they don't want it there are thousands of kids who would gladly step into their shoes. If it was so bad that wouldn't be the case then.

This was never a problem in the 80's and 90's and it isn't one now all because the media plays the narrative that these athletes are getting such a raw deal. You've never met a person in your life that wasn't totally ecstatic that they got a scholarship somewhere for some sport or achievement. Its always been a celebration.

Reactions: JB
his was never a problem in the 80's and 90's and it isn't one now all because the media plays the narrative that these athletes are getting such a raw deal. You've never met a person in your life that wasn't totally ecstatic that they got a scholarship somewhere for some sport or achievement. Its always been a celebration.

And millions pay for that opportunity.

And millions pay for that opportunity.

Yep, and that's why I said they can go right on and play for the XFL or some other Canadian type of league, but we all know that these loudmouths won't do it. I wish they would so that they could go right on and take that shitty student loan or find a way to pay for those things like the rest of us if they ever are in a job market where educational requirements get you either through the door into an industry or they don't. Actually they could play somewhere else, and in some cases still go back and get scholarships and play in college football.

Reactions: JB
Back