Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WolverineFan Mock 1.0

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
2 (57) Jaylon Johnson - CB, Utah (6-0, 193)
40-Yard Dash (4.50); 3-Cone Drill (7.01); Vertical Jump (36.5)
- Johnson is an exceptional man coverage CB, who can press or play off. He has good size and plus athleticism. His counting stats weren’t spectacular (7 INT’s, 21 PBU’s over 3 years) but that’s because he is always in the right position, forcing opponents to avoid him. IMO he is a 1st round talent this year, but just had labrum surgery, which will likely knock him down the board slightly. At the moment, you can pencil him in starting on the outside with Conley although we need to add a CB in FA who is capable of starting and playing in the slot (Chris Harris would be perfect, but for monetary value perhaps someone like Kendall Fuller).

3 (90) Alton Robinson - EDGE, Syracuse (6-3, 264)
40-Yard Dash (4.69); 3-Cone Drill (7.32); Broad Jump (119.0)
- Highly productive edge rusher (19 Sacks, 32 TFL in 3 seasons) who combines plus athleticism with a good pass rush repertoire. He had a phenomenal junior year before coming down as a senior with opponents giving him a lot of extra attention. That consistency will be a hurdle to overcome in his NFL career, but overall he is a very enticing prospect for a team desperate for pass rush help. With Mercilus locking down one side, have Robinson compete with Ejiofor for snaps on the other side as well as getting in pass rush snaps in sub-packages.

4 (111) A.J. Dillon - RB, Boston College (6-0, 247)
40-Yard Dash (4.53); 3-Cone Drill (7.19); Broad Jump (131.0)
- Absolute freight train who will run through a brick wall. Get off the tracks if he's coming your way. Dillon is a straight-line beast in the same fashion as Derrick Henry. A freak athlete for his size, he is a brute force but also surprisingly nimble as well. Not awful as a pass catcher or blocker, but wasn't used in that role very much in college. Definitely needs to be developed in that area to become a three-down back. What he does bring is two-down workhorse volume and powerful inside running, which is clearly what Bill O'Brien has been looking for. Pair him up with Duke Johnson for an enticing 1-2 punch out of the backfield.

4 (131) Keith Ismael - OG, San Diego State (6-3, 309)
- Texans added 2 OL starters in the draft last year but need to keep adding depth. Ismael is an early entrant with vast experience at both Guard and Center. He's a 'phone-booth' type of OL who wants nothing more than to jump off the line and maul the guy across from him. With Zach Fulton's future up in the air and Senio Kelemete almost certain to be cut, the Texans need another capable player on the interior for depth. Smart, strong, and versatile; give him time to learn and he can be a valuable piece on the interior.

5 (171) Joe Gaziano - DL, Northwestern (6-4, 281)
- Eternally under the radar, Gaz has received almost zero draft hype despite a sterling college career. I don't care if he's a sub-par athlete, 49 TFL and 30 Sacks is nothing to sneeze at, especially coming from a conference like the Big Ten. He combines positional craftsmanship with a relentless motor. This team sorely needs depth on the DL, why not take a stab at a guy like this who can walk in and contribute as a depth piece day one? Not every draft pick needs to be a guy with limitless potential. High floor, low ceiling isn't always a bad thing.

7 (240) Stantley Thomas-Oliver - CB, Florida International (6-0, 192)
Forty-Yard Dash (4.48); Vertical Jump (34.0)
- A former WR, Thomas-Oliver offers good size, athleticism, and upside at the CB position. He batted down 18 passes in his two years as a DB, but only picked off 2 passes. However, he has plus tools and offers a lot of room for growth with his limited experience at the position. Draft him, stash him, and develop him.

7 (248) Derrek Tuszka - EDGE, North Dakota State (6-4, 251)
Forty-Yard Dash (4.79); 3-Cone Drill (6.87); Broad Jump (120.0)
- Tuszka dominated the FCS with 38.5 TFL and 29 Sacks during his 3 years as a starter and was a center-piece on the Bisons defense during their current 3-year title run. He's more agile than he is explosive and also lacks length so I peg him as more of a developmental prospect as a SAM than as a pure pass rusher. That said, you can't make up for his production or his motor. Draft him and develop him as a depth piece with possible starting SAM upside down the road.

7 (250) Essang Bassey - CB, Wake Forest (5-9, 191)
Forty-Yard Dash (4.46); 3-Cone Drill (6.95); Vertical Jump (39.5)
- Tiny but ultra-productive CB who batted down 45 passes during his college career. Extremely feisty and athletic, the big knock on him is obviously his size. You cannot get around it and it limits what you can do with him. That being said you also cannot get around the athleticism, production, and motor. He has excellent anticipation and is not scared to get in your face. This team needs as many rounds in the chamber as possible at CB and this gives them a prospect to develop in the slot.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I love the Jaylon Johnson and AJ Dillon picks. Johnson is exactly the kind of in your face CB the Texans need if they're going to bring more pressure. I'm tired of seeing WRs get free releases. Dillion is exactly as you described. I'm just not sure they will be available at those spots. I've always felt Johnson was CB #3 in this draft, and Dillon's comparison to Henry is likely to move him up. But, we can always hope.

Good to see you posting again. :thumbup

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
2 (57) Jaylon Johnson - CB, Utah (6-0, 193)
40-Yard Dash (4.50); 3-Cone Drill (7.01); Vertical Jump (36.5)
- Johnson is an exceptional man coverage CB, who can press or play off. He has good size and plus athleticism. His counting stats weren’t spectacular (7 INT’s, 21 PBU’s over 3 years) but that’s because he is always in the right position, forcing opponents to avoid him. IMO he is a 1st round talent this year, but just had labrum surgery, which will likely knock him down the board slightly. At the moment, you can pencil him in starting on the outside with Conley although we need to add a CB in FA who is capable of starting and playing in the slot (Chris Harris would be perfect, but for monetary value perhaps someone like Kendall Fuller).

3 (90) Alton Robinson - EDGE, Syracuse (6-3, 264)
40-Yard Dash (4.69); 3-Cone Drill (7.32); Broad Jump (119.0)
- Highly productive edge rusher (19 Sacks, 32 TFL in 3 seasons) who combines plus athleticism with a good pass rush repertoire. He had a phenomenal junior year before coming down as a senior with opponents giving him a lot of extra attention. That consistency will be a hurdle to overcome in his NFL career, but overall he is a very enticing prospect for a team desperate for pass rush help. With Mercilus locking down one side, have Robinson compete with Ejiofor for snaps on the other side as well as getting in pass rush snaps in sub-packages.

4 (111) A.J. Dillon - RB, Boston College (6-0, 247)
40-Yard Dash (4.53); 3-Cone Drill (7.19); Broad Jump (131.0)
- Absolute freight train who will run through a brick wall. Get off the tracks if he's coming your way. Dillon is a straight-line beast in the same fashion as Derrick Henry. A freak athlete for his size, he is a brute force but also surprisingly nimble as well. Not awful as a pass catcher or blocker, but wasn't used in that role very much in college. Definitely needs to be developed in that area to become a three-down back. What he does bring is two-down workhorse volume and powerful inside running, which is clearly what Bill O'Brien has been looking for. Pair him up with Duke Johnson for an enticing 1-2 punch out of the backfield.

4 (131) Keith Ismael - OG, San Diego State (6-3, 309)
- Texans added 2 OL starters in the draft last year but need to keep adding depth. Ismael is an early entrant with vast experience at both Guard and Center. He's a 'phone-booth' type of OL who wants nothing more than to jump off the line and maul the guy across from him. With Zach Fulton's future up in the air and Senio Kelemete almost certain to be cut, the Texans need another capable player on the interior for depth. Smart, strong, and versatile; give him time to learn and he can be a valuable piece on the interior.

5 (171) Joe Gaziano - DL, Northwestern (6-4, 281)
- Eternally under the radar, Gaz has received almost zero draft hype despite a sterling college career. I don't care if he's a sub-par athlete, 49 TFL and 30 Sacks is nothing to sneeze at, especially coming from a conference like the Big Ten. He combines positional craftsmanship with a relentless motor. This team sorely needs depth on the DL, why not take a stab at a guy like this who can walk in and contribute as a depth piece day one? Not every draft pick needs to be a guy with limitless potential. High floor, low ceiling isn't always a bad thing.

7 (240) Stantley Thomas-Oliver - CB, Florida International (6-0, 192)
Forty-Yard Dash (4.48); Vertical Jump (34.0)
- A former WR, Thomas-Oliver offers good size, athleticism, and upside at the CB position. He batted down 18 passes in his two years as a DB, but only picked off 2 passes. However, he has plus tools and offers a lot of room for growth with his limited experience at the position. Draft him, stash him, and develop him.

7 (248) Derrek Tuszka - EDGE, North Dakota State (6-4, 251)
Forty-Yard Dash (4.79); 3-Cone Drill (6.87); Broad Jump (120.0)
- Tuszka dominated the FCS with 38.5 TFL and 29 Sacks during his 3 years as a starter and was a center-piece on the Bisons defense during their current 3-year title run. He's more agile than he is explosive and also lacks length so I peg him as more of a developmental prospect as a SAM than as a pure pass rusher. That said, you can't make up for his production or his motor. Draft him and develop him as a depth piece with possible starting SAM upside down the road.

7 (250) Essang Bassey - CB, Wake Forest (5-9, 191)
Forty-Yard Dash (4.46); 3-Cone Drill (6.95); Vertical Jump (39.5)
- Tiny but ultra-productive CB who batted down 45 passes during his college career. Extremely feisty and athletic, the big knock on him is obviously his size. You cannot get around it and it limits what you can do with him. That being said you also cannot get around the athleticism, production, and motor. He has excellent anticipation and is not scared to get in your face. This team needs as many rounds in the chamber as possible at CB and this gives them a prospect to develop in the slot.
Nice mock!
Covers the main needs nicely.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I love the Jaylon Johnson and AJ Dillon picks. Johnson is exactly the kind of in your face CB the Texans need if they're going to bring more pressure. I'm tired of seeing WRs get free releases. Dillion is exactly as you described. I'm just not sure they will be available at those spots. I've always felt Johnson was CB #3 in this draft, and Dillon's comparison to Henry is likely to move him up. But, we can always hope.

Good to see you posting again. :thumbup
Love the first 4 picks and would consider this to be a successful draft.

I dont know much about the last part of the guys in this mock, except for Bassey. (Who I'm not a fan of)

What do you think about adding a a Rd.5/7 WR for depth purposes?

I would be very happy if Johnson was the pick in the 2nd for the reasons others have listed above. I also would be happy with the Johnson pick plus signing Harris AND Roby in FA. The secondary would be rebuilt with Vets Roby/Harris) who have played together and young talented guys. (Johnson/Conley/LJo.) A great improvement over what was back there last yr.

Thanks for posting your mock, I look forward to them because I learn about under the radar guys that I haven't heard of before like the DL from Northwestern.

I hope you put out another Mock after FA. It's great to see you back again. BTW, I noticed that Bah liked your Mock and I'm hopeful he will put out his list of positional rankings. They are a go to for me and I compare them to other experts rankings. He has a much better eye for talent than most of these guys.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Love the first 4 picks and would consider this to be a successful draft.

I dont know much about the last part of the guys in this mock, except for Bassey. (Who I'm not a fan of)

What do you think about adding a a Rd.5/7 WR for depth purposes?

I would be very happy if Johnson was the pick in the 2nd for the reasons others have listed above. I also would be happy with the Johnson pick plus signing Harris AND Roby in FA. The secondary would be rebuilt with Vets Roby/Harris) who have played together and young talented guys. (Johnson/Conley/LJo.) A great improvement over what was back there last yr.

Thanks for posting your mock, I look forward to them because I learn about under the radar guys that I haven't heard of before like the DL from Northwestern.

I hope you put out another Mock after FA. It's great to see you back again. BTW, I noticed that Bah liked your Mock and I'm hopeful he will put out his list of positional rankings. They are a go to for me and I compare them to other experts rankings. He has a much better eye for talent than most of these guys.
I think drafting a CB and EDGE high should be a priority regardless of what we do in FA. If we are active in FA in the secondary then we can back off on loading up on prospects late (such as in my mock) and instead focus on stashing a WR or extra RB with a late round pick.

I have dreams about knocking FA out of the park and then drafting KJ Hamler with our 2nd if he falls, but it just won't be feasible at the end of the day. After re-signing Roby today, we have 2 viable players at CB in Roby and Conley. Gaines is coming off a serious ankle injury and Johnson is absolutely horrid. You NEED 3 starting CB's in this league and a 4th viable one in case of injury. Right now we have 2 with a possible viable one in Gaines if he comes back healthy. Absolutely need to add another starting caliber guy with that top pick.

BTW, Northwestern has another stud that could have come out but is returning for his final year, Paddy Fisher (ILB) who is actually from Katy. 315 Tackles, 20 TFL, and 9 FF as a 3-year starter at MLB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think drafting a CB and EDGE high should be a priority regardless of what we do in FA. If we are active in FA in the secondary then we can back off on loading up on prospects late (such as in my mock) and instead focus on stashing a WR or extra RB with a late round pick.

I have dreams about knocking FA out of the park and then drafting KJ Hamler with our 2nd if he falls, but it just won't be feasible at the end of the day. After re-signing Roby today, we have 2 viable players at CB in Roby and Conley. Gaines is coming off a serious ankle injury and Johnson is absolutely horrid. You NEED 3 starting CB's in this league and a 4th viable one in case of injury. Right now we have 2 with a possible viable one in Gaines if he comes back healthy. Absolutely need to add another starting caliber guy with that top pick.

BTW, Northwestern has another stud that could have come out but is returning for his final year, Paddy Fisher (ILB) who is actually from Katy. 315 Tackles, 20 TFL, and 9 FF as a 3-year starter at MLB.
Agreed, but this isn't a good yr to draft Edge players. I do like Robinson though. He has as much potential as any edge in this draft.

What do you think of James Lynch/Greenard/Highsmith?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Jaylon Johnson is in that grey area between a first round grade and early second. Would be great pick, better technician than last years 2nd rd. Lonnie Johnson, no relation or to Kevin.
Robinson could be Mercilus 2.0 in second round that’s also great value @ position of need.
Rather take your OG and TE before RB. Just bigger needs. Take all three inverse order.
Hitting secondary heavy and adding another pass rusher in 7th rounds makes to much sense, will see. Hopefully they draft good football players all around who project to play natural positions next level. No more water polo players please.
Excellent job WolverineFan :wesmantexanfan:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Jaylon Johnson is in that grey area between a first round grade and early second. Would be great pick, better technician than last years 2nd rd. Lonnie Johnson, no relation or to Kevin.
Robinson could be Mercilus 2.0 in second round that’s also great value @ position of need.
Rather take your OG and TE before RB. Just bigger needs. Take all three inverse order.
Hitting secondary heavy and adding another pass rusher in 7th rounds makes to much sense, will see. Hopefully they draft good football players all around who project to play natural positions next level. No more water polo players please.
Excellent job WolverineFan :wesmantexanfan:
Meant DL not TE. God no :dontknowa

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What changes since they've traded Hopkins and picked up 2.40?

Wolf12339

Waterboy
40-Terrel Lewis LB from Bama
-Lot of good player on the board here but these two picks will be Edge rusher, WR or CB.

57-Brandon Aiyuk WR from Arizona State-If you don't grab the WR in the 2nd all of the top 20+ WR's will be gone..

90-Amirk Robertson CB- Slot CB-

111-Alex Highsmith Edge rusher

171-Lamar Jackson CB-Nebraska

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
40-Terrel Lewis LB from Bama
-Lot of good player on the board here but these two picks will be Edge rusher, WR or CB.

57-Brandon Aiyuk WR from Arizona State-If you don't grab the WR in the 2nd all of the top 20+ WR's will be gone..

90-Amirk Robertson CB- Slot CB-

111-Alex Highsmith Edge rusher

171-Lamar Jackson CB-Nebraska
So out of 64 picks you think 20 will be WR's?

Wow

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, I'm saying that at our next pick #90, The WR's will be picked clean. I'd say somewhere along the top 17-18 will be gone.
Look at the TT Mock draft that's going on right now.

There will be starter level guys there at 90, even at 111.

Wolf12339

Waterboy
Van Jefferson/Bowden/Duvernay/Edwards etc....
Edwards will be gone I believe. Not a fan of Van Jefferson and I don't think you can count any slot receivers as I don't think the texans will look at that position with Cobb signed, Carter and Keke on the roster. They will be looking for outside receivers to replace Hop and the two potential free agents after this season.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Edwards will be gone I believe. Not a fan of Van Jefferson and I don't think you can count any slot receivers as I don't think the texans will look at that position with Cobb signed, Carter and Keke on the roster. They will be looking for outside receivers to replace Hop and the two potential free agents after this season.
I was thinking of guys that could start day 1.

If you want a WR that can give you some of what Nuk gives you then the 3 best in this draft are Claypool/Pitman/Colin Johnson and all of these guys will contribute as rookies. Claypool/Pitman are also good on ST's.