Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

With Tennessee In Championship Game, How Hot Is O'Brien' Seat VS KC?

How Hot Is O'Brien's Seat vs KC?

• Total voters

txtx

Waterboy
Since Bill O'Brien's former assistant, Vrabel, has surpassed him and taken the former Oilers to the AFC Championship Game in two years when O'Brien is on his 6th year, is this game in Kansas City do or die for O'Brien's job?

Remember, O'Brien put himself and our Texans in this situation and the Titans in theirs...

Despite a head-to-head tiebreaker over the Chiefs and New England, the Texans ended up seeded behind them by losing to Denver and Tennessee, both at home. If the Texans had played at a mediocre level and beaten Denver, they would have been 11-4 and playing Tennessee in week 17 with a first-round bye on the line. Assuming O'Brien isn't dumb enough to rest players with a bye on the line and we win that final game, we would have ended up 12-4, gained a first-round bye, AND knocked Tennessee completely out of the playoffs.

I'm hoping the Texans beat KC, but I think O'Brien really needs to.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Since Bill O'Brien's former assistant, Vrabel, has surpassed him and taken the former Oilers to the AFC Championship Game in two years when O'Brien is on his 6th year, is this game in Kansas City do or die for O'Brien's job?

Remember, O'Brien put himself and our Texans in this situation and the Titans in theirs...

Despite a head-to-head tiebreaker over the Chiefs and New England, the Texans ended up seeded behind them by losing to Denver and Tennessee, both at home. If the Texans had played at a mediocre level and beaten Denver, they would have been 11-4 and playing Tennessee in week 17 with a first-round bye on the line. Assuming O'Brien isn't dumb enough to rest players with a bye on the line and we win that final game, we would have ended up 12-4, gained a first-round bye, AND knocked Tennessee completely out of the playoffs.

I'm hoping the Texans beat KC, but I think O'Brien really needs to.
Not hot at all

Keep wishing

How many threads are we going to have like this one?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sounds like Vrabel should be kissing his butt.

So let's say it goes that way, Tennessee is out, we're the 2 seed. Then we still have to beat KC (albeit at home) & we'll most likely go to Baltimore who we just don't match up well against.

Chances for is getting to the Super Bowl, is much higher playing Tennesse at home, especially since we didn't beat them twice this year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You should have added a fifth option.

Low - definitely better candidates, but the McNairs love him.

or perhaps

Low - definitely better candidates, but he has some bad dirt on the McNair family.
Like I said in the what will it take to save BO'bs job thread, He better be a bad call away from winning the AFCCG. But now, knowing it's the Titans, He better be a bad call from winning the Super Bowl if I were in charge.

Which I'm not.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You guys gotta remember … This is the McNair's we're talking about running this franchise & paying the bills.

Does anyone really think Cal is gonna fire OB and pay another coach too ?

Really , OB's seat couldn't be cooler …. they made the playoffs and won a home game. That's more than enough to satisfy the business decision makers.

We'll be damn lucky if they decide to move on after his contract expires in 2022.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If only someone could cobble together a power point showing he would make more money if he wins the Super Bowl.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Still not sure where anyone gets even the remotest idea that BoB’s seat is any in way hot. He got an extension after a horrible season, he got the GM he seemed to want, he got the GM job after that guy was fired, his buddy was brought in to advise, whatever that means for the Texans, and there is a good chance his other buddy will be brought in next year.

Get it through your heads boys and girls that the McNairs do not care what other teams or other coaches do. They did not care when Kubiak went to Denver and won a SB and they do not care what Varbel or any other former BB assistant does that BoB does or doesn’t do.

BoB will be here next year and if Caserio is brought in several years after that. Even if he’s not brought in BoB will be here as long as he has a winning record and we keep making the playoffs because that keeps the masses paying ever increasing tickets prices.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If only someone could cobble together a power point showing he would make more money if he wins the Super Bowl.
Would they though? They are already raising the price every year would a SB win really jump it up that much more than they are already hiking it by? I am actually asking.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Only way I ever see it happening is if Watson comes to Cal and says it’s OB or me and given that they actually seem to have a good relationship I don’t see that happening either.

Reactions: ROO

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m pretty indifferent about BoB. The Texans played a first place schedule and did better than I expected. That said, they looked terrible on offense way too often. In those games Watson played poorly and I couldn’t pin-point why. I can’t say with certainty BoB’s degree of culpability in those lackluster performances; how much was it the game plan versus players not executing the game plan.

I don’t think BoB is in jeopardy of losing his job(s) regardless of the outcome of the KC game. But the Titans possibly taking the AFC crown bothers me. The Titans are already one step closer to representing the AFC. And if the Texans lose to KC, I really don’t want to hear BoB deliver the same tired lines about coaching better or assigning blame to the defense.

My prediction is, tomorrow night if you hate O’Brien you’ll still hate the guy. And the people who are supportive of O’Brien will make the same excuses for him that they have all season. Win or lose, nobody is going to change their minds about O’Brien. And that includes the McNair’s.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Only way I ever see it happening is if Watson comes to Cal and says it’s OB or me and given that they actually seem to have a good relationship I don’t see that happening either.
And as BOB matures, and he finds that Watson is a winner, perhaps he will allow Watson and Hop to have more input into the offense. Hoping that BOB will go from "we will run the offense my way" to "hey, let's create a great offense together" kind of thing

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I don't care if O'Brien is fired or sticks around or whatever happens if the team looks good and wins because that means the wins are legitimate and we can contend with anyone at any time on a regular basis.

He has yet to prove we can do this consistently and legitimately and it's his sixth year. That's enough of a body of work for me.

If we beat Kansas City, I don't think it'll be because we figured everything out and are now legitimate. We'll be lucking into any wins we get so long as he's coach. Some are OK with that, and I'll be OK with winning a Super Bowl like that, but I don't like the results to be determined by luck. I want skill and aptitude because it lasts and it's reliable. I'd rather be the Yankees rather than the one year the Marlins won, you know what I mean?

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You guys gotta remember … This is the McNair's we're talking about running this franchise & paying the bills.

Does anyone really think Cal is gonna fire OB and pay another coach too ?

Really , OB's seat couldn't be cooler …. they made the playoffs and won a home game. That's more than enough to satisfy the business decision makers.

We'll be damn lucky if they decide to move on after his contract expires in 2022.
Not sure the GM would recommend Cal fire OB......just a gut feeling. Maybe the OC throws some additional kudos his way as well.

tedr

Rookie
And as BOB matures, and he finds that Watson is a winner, perhaps he will allow Watson and Hop to have more input into the offense. Hoping that BOB will go from "we will run the offense my way" to "hey, let's create a great offense together" kind of thing
BoB has had almost six years as a head coach. That’s long enough for him to mature.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Depends if we look competitive or not. Losing is one thing. Being blown out is another.

I still think we need Cal to force OB to hire an OC. But if he wins today and next week he’s getting a lifetime contract.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Not hot at all

Keep wishing

How many threads are we going to have like this one?
If Vrabel were still here, would he be attacked as viciously as OB. He has put together, after all, an old fashioned run up the gut running offense which has thrown for less than 100 yards in the past two games. OB has been attacked for the same, that is, pounding the ball up the middle. Perhaps Vrabel has been sucessful because of this uniqueness and defenses are not designed to stop Henry.

Both Vrabel and OB had 9-7 records their first two years. True, the Titans have advanced a bit further in the playoffs, but they don't have a flag just yet.

The AFCS should be competitive in the coming years. Right now the Texans are on top and have been four of the past five years. We'll see if Vrabel can outcoach OB.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If Vrabel were still here, would he be attacked as viciously as OB. He has put together, after all, an old fashioned run up the gut running offense which has thrown for less than 100 yards in the past two games. OB has been attacked for the same, that is, pounding the ball up the middle. Perhaps Vrabel has been sucessful because of this uniqueness and defenses are not designed to stop Henry.

Both Vrabel and OB had 9-7 records their first two years. True, the Titans have advanced a bit further in the playoffs, but they don't have a flag just yet.

The AFCS should be competitive in the coming years. Right now the Texans are on top and have been four of the past five years. We'll see if Vrabel can outcoached OB.
Titans have a good oline and a big bruising back and now their defense is responding. They will likely need another hundred yards through the air in addition to their ground game to really have a scary offense.
Vrabel may not want to risk that with Tannehill until he gain more confidence in him.
One thing I have noticed is that the Titans team believes in Vrabel as well as themselves.
I see something similar with DC Saleh over in San Francisco.
I know our boys love and respect Romeo but not so sure with OB.

Grams

Veteran
If we lose today - by a large margin and look lost all game or a last second field goal, I would fire OB, but I don't think the Texans will fire him no matter what happens in today's game.

Mangler

Toro de España
I only voted “High Heat” because there was no option for what I wish his seat temperature was. A HC is not given this much power and a. Ike long leash if he were on the hot seat. That’s for sure! So, we’re looking at 3-4 more years of mediocrity at HC. Maybe even six if Watson continues to bail Butt Chin out.

rugg31

Practice Squad
BoB has had almost six years as a head coach. That’s long enough for him to mature.
Bill Belichick had 16 years of NFL assistant experience prior and in his first six years of head coaching experience he was 1-1 in the playoffs.

Titans have a good oline and a big bruising back and now their defense is responding. They will likely need another hundred yards through the air in addition to their ground game to really have a scary offense.
Vrabel may not want to risk that with Tannehill until he gain more confidence in him.
One thing I have noticed is that the Titans team believes in Vrabel as well as themselves.
"Vrabel may not want to risk that with Tannehill until he gain more confidence in him."

Really? The last two games of Tannehill passing for <100 yards is really an aberration. Before that, he was slinging it around the yard AND Henry was punishing defensive lines. The real problem in the passing game in the last two games is that we've been up against a couple of really elite defenses who haven't given our wide outs much room to maneuver. But Tannehill still threw for two TDs on very difficult throws and ran another one in. I think Vrabel likes Tannehill's abilities just fine.

But no matter....Henry has been abusing D-lines over and over again. 180+ yards in three straight games (first time ever). He threw for a TD. The only problem we have here in Nashville this year is how much Amy Adams Strunk is going to have to pay him going forward because the price keeps going up every game.

And yes, the Titans believe in themselves when no one else did. Not even most of the local sports pundits predicted the Titans would win this game. They are genuinely playing with house money right now. Both the Texans and KC don't scare them since we've seen both teams unlike New England and Baltimore. If the Texans win, then the Titans return to Houston where it all started. If they go to KC, then it's back to where Hunt and Adams founded the AFL. Either way, it's a good story.

tedr

Rookie
Bill Belichick had 16 years of NFL assistant experience prior and in his first six years of head coaching experience he was 1-1 in the playoffs.
Not for sure, but I doubt Belichick had the individual talent on his teams in his first six years that BoB has/had- Watson, Hopkins, Watt. And, Mike Vrabel made the AFCCG in his second year as head coach with what I would argue is less talent than the Texans currently have. BoB has had plenty of time.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
"Vrabel may not want to risk that with Tannehill until he gain more confidence in him."

Really? The last two games of Tannehill passing for <100 yards is really an aberration. Before that, he was slinging it around the yard AND Henry was punishing defensive lines. The real problem in the passing game in the last two games is that we've been up against a couple of really elite defenses who haven't given our wide outs much room to maneuver. But Tannehill still threw for two TDs on very difficult throws and ran another one in. I think Vrabel likes Tannehill's abilities just fine.

But no matter....Henry has been abusing D-lines over and over again. 180+ yards in three straight games (first time ever). He threw for a TD. The only problem we have here in Nashville this year is how much Amy Adams Strunk is going to have to pay him going forward because the price keeps going up every game.

And yes, the Titans believe in themselves when no one else did. Not even most of the local sports pundits predicted the Titans would win this game. They are genuinely playing with house money right now. Both the Texans and KC don't scare them since we've seen both teams unlike New England and Baltimore. If the Texans win, then the Titans return to Houston where it all started. If they go to KC, then it's back to where Hunt and Adams founded the AFL. Either way, it's a good story.
My meaning was that the playoffs may have made Vrabel a bit more cautious and why not go to the ground game when you have Henry in the backfield.
Congrats to your Titans on a very convincing win btw.
I hope it does come back to Houston - you will find a different Texans team than the one in week 17 waiting for you.

My meaning was that the playoffs may have made Vrabel a bit more cautious and why not go to the ground game when you have Henry in the backfield.
Congrats to your Titans on a very convincing win btw.
I hope it does come back to Houston - you will find a different Texans team than the one in week 17 waiting for you.
I'm not sure that "cautious" is what's going on here. We've been up against a couple of really elite defenses. The Patriots were the best and the Ravens were like #6. Our best receiver is still a rookie (maybe ROTY) but still needs to gain experience.

Yes, we will face a different Texans team since you rested starters. But we've now slayed the Lamar Jackson dragon while still letting him run all over the place. Watson is really really good....but not anything we haven't seen. Having Watt back will certainly give Taylor Lewan a challenge.

But you have to defeat KC first. Good luck today.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
If Vrabel were still here, would he be attacked as viciously as OB. He has put together, after all, an old fashioned run up the gut running offense
If Vrabel had Lamar Miller and ran him up the gut 20 times a game, he would be just as dumb as BOB.
If Vrabel had Carlos Hyde and ran him up the gut 20 times a game, he would be just as dumb as BOB.
If O'Brien had Derrick Henry and ran him up the gut 20 times a game, he would be a good coach.

It isn't about the old-fashioned offense, it is about using the personnel to their strengths. IMO O'Brien often fails to do that, and so he gets maligned, and rightfully so.

deucetx

Rookie
Meh. Low as can be. Reality is he's not going anywhere. I understand the viewpoint of many and agree with a lot of points. I don't think O'Brien is a bad coach but I do think he's rather mediocre and whether a mediocre coaching job can get you to win the title in the end remains to be seen though the percentages probably don't favor it. He reacts to what is taking place before him too slowly, too inconsistent in his play-calling and pre-game planning is just a slippery slope to say the least. Not to mention the fact he can't seem to adjust to a single player being injured on offense who is basically nearly always injured is an issue.

Still with all that said he won't be fired and will get another chance especially probably since he's calling all the shots now in regards to personnel. Not to mention who is out there even worth the move honestly? They'll probably want a season to see what he does managing the roster. So we might as well get over the idea of him going anywhere.

Now his coaching staff is another story....

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You should have added a fifth option.

Low - definitely better candidates, but the McNairs love him.

or perhaps

Low - definitely better candidates, but he has some bad dirt on the McNair family.
I hate this poll.
It should have only two options:
BOB is fired if the Texans lose big.
BOB is fired if the Texans lose a close game.

:hides:

I'm not sure that "cautious" is what's going on here. We've been up against a couple of really elite defenses. The Patriots were the best and the Ravens were like #6. Our best receiver is still a rookie (maybe ROTY) but still needs to gain experience.

Yes, we will face a different Texans team since you rested starters. But we've now slayed the Lamar Jackson dragon while still letting him run all over the place. Watson is really really good....but not anything we haven't seen. Having Watt back will certainly give Taylor Lewan a challenge.

But you have to defeat KC first. Good luck today.
Texans have something the Patriots and Ravens don't have: Hopkins, Stills, and Fuller. KC has: Tyreek Hill, Kelce, and Watkins. The Titans' weakness is against Dynamic pass catchers. Whichever team they play, loading up to stop the run...won't help them against those Passing games.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He likely gets fired after next year, because Reader and others will leave, won't be able to upgrade due to Watson and Tunsil extensions, plus our drafts will be severely limited.

So the team won't be good.

Remember, he mortgaged the future to win this year. This is it.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I'd fire him even if we win.

Being in the AFCC is too damn close to being able to win the whole fuckin thing for me to want to risk an O'Brien dud wasting our chance.